IGNORED

Sheff Weds fans

Globe Trotter

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I agree with @Harry

if you go looking for trouble home or away you should expect to receive some. He hasn’t said it was a good thing that happened and he was pleased what happened to Sheff W fans. But whenever you have two sides clashing in any sport if someone starts giving it the big I am the other side will retaliate.

Sheff W idiots for antagonising, we had our idiots who dealt with them

Agreed. Just because it's football related people feel the need to give it the moral high ground stuff.

Take it away from football, If a bunch of lads start walking around mouthing off at people, and a group retaliate, fairs fair imv.

25 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Had a couple too many last night and shot my mouth off without knowing the facts, never a good combination. 

Apologies to @Harry for me being a ****.

No need to apologise chap. Nothing wrong with having a different point of view. 

I’m not very easily offended. 

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

In this case there is, there's having a different point of view on a matter you're informed about and gobbing off about one you're not.  

39 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Had a couple too many last night and shot my mouth off without knowing the facts, never a good combination. 

Apologies to @Harry for me being a ****.

Top man :clap:

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m a bit puzzled about what they’re supposed to have done though.

In the ground, supporting their team, presumably singing rude songs about us (as well as their own team) it’s “good support” and widely admired.

What have they done outside the ground that is different?  Have they actually attacked anyone?  Or just carried on outside what they do on the terraces?

Genuine question. I missed yesterday.

22 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Was certainly a stark contrast to our own when things don’t go our way. Still find it very annoying that 2000 Wednesday fans can see fit to stay til the end at 0-4 yet 10,000 of our own were on their way home by the time the ref blew up. 

Fair play to Wednesday, consistently amongst the best fans here year in year out. 

Yeah our own fans were singing "is there a fire drill" when loads starting pouring out after about the 80th minute. I personally like to stay to the end and clap the lads for their performance but each to their own. 

4 minutes ago, WestMidsRed said:

Yeah our own fans were singing "is there a fire drill" when loads starting pouring out after about the 80th minute. I personally like to stay to the end and clap the lads for their performance but each to their own. 

As you said each to their own. Some have families to get home to and it was 4-0 not like it was a close game that could have turned on its head in the last several minutes.

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

As you said each to their own. Some have families to get home to and it was 4-0 not like it was a close game that could have turned on its head in the last several minutes.

4-0 is a dangerous score for us !!!!

19 minutes ago, WestMidsRed said:

Not the 80th minute. Added time was called and after a bit I walked down the Dolman steps, when the ball was in the stands, as I have a bus to catch at just after 5 pm. One lad I passed sang it to me. Told him there was only half a minute left, plonker.   When I got to the concourse it was all over.

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

I’m a bit puzzled about what they’re supposed to have done though.

In the ground, supporting their team, presumably singing rude songs about us (as well as their own team) it’s “good support” and widely admired.

What have they done outside the ground that is different?  Have they actually attacked anyone?  Or just carried on outside what they do on the terraces?

Genuine question. I missed yesterday.

Also would like to know this. I saw a group of Wednesdays fans singing Wednesday songs walking down the Ashton Road when stood on bus stop. Didn't feel threatened by it at all. Of course if they got out of hand further down the road then that's a different matter

I did meet a few after the game that did leave at halftime but they weren't happy that Wednesday fans were fighting amongst themselves, great bunch of lads and 1 lass, they were looking forward to trips to Fleetwood, Southend etc next season didn't mention the tent stadium though, they were looking at the odds of going down 10/1 apparently, great set of fans and spoke very highly of us and our exploits this season but if you mention Sheff Utd to them they turn into mouth frothing monsters.

19 hours ago, JulieH said:

And this is exactly why we continue need police presence at football matches unfortunately.

I went to both teams in the 80's ,only when I worked away from home did I make decision to be red not few  but I think the point is I have never been hit attending a game of football (or anywhere else to be fair) I have been pissed a few seasons ago but that was the only way too watch. I have had conversations both to and from games with opposition fans and HAVE never felt the urge to deck them (or whatever the term is now) football fans on the whole are human beings and should be treated with respect. Just deal with those that don't want to be human beings (sorry to rant).

22 hours ago, Harry said:

And your officers were well positioned today to deal with it. I have however taken offence to you lot lining up in front of me in the home stand and stared at me for no reason for 90 minutes. You won’t need as many as you bring if you did it properly and knew where the flashpoints are. For example - any point in there being 10 riot police in the concourse by the entrance to S24/S25? What are they hoping to achieve being there. 

Spot on mate.

22 hours ago, Harry said:

And your officers were well positioned today to deal with it. I have however taken offence to you lot lining up in front of me in the home stand and stared at me for no reason for 90 minutes. You won’t need as many as you bring if you did it properly and knew where the flashpoints are. For example - any point in there being 10 riot police in the concourse by the entrance to S24/S25? What are they hoping to achieve being there. 

Four of them, in full gear, also guarding that well known flashpoint the access to the disabled area from the Dolman concourse. Good natured - but a bit OTT?

22 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

The men of Sheffield that witnessed their team sweep all before them in the 1930s, had a tale to tell their sons in the 1940s and 50s. Of glory and triumph. And history being made. The sons kept the faith and told their sons proud tales of the team from Sheffield "that your grandfather" watched, and - with regular top two division football to watch - they kept going, hoping to see this great history repeated.

Meanwhile, in Bristol, what did our grandfathers have to talk about? Bobbing up and down between Div 3 and Div 2. Mediocrity.

My grandfathers - neither followed football. Nor my father. No surprise there.

It's called "tradition." In Sheffield, they have a "tradition," a great tradition and history. In Sheffield they have a "tradition" of going to football in numbers  forged way back to a time when they enjoyed tremendous success. History is massively important in football (witness Liverpool jibes to Chelsea fans; everyone to MK dons). We have a "tradition" but a mediocre one in comparison, with a mediocre support (in comparison) as a result.

That it happened so long ago is irrelevant. Why do you think Newcastle, Sunderland, Pompey, Southampton, Ipswich and Norwich are better supported than us? And why do you think our support/numbers are better than Rovers'?

Name a club with a poorer "tradition" or record, and a better support?

Without a dad to tell me about "the glory days" my "tradition" began going with my older brother in the late 70s. I've been dreaming ever since of seeing this little club of ours back at the top, where I first saw them. That's what keeps me going.

Fair enough, thanks for taking the time to give a detailed response.

I’ve always thought jibes about Chelsea’s perceived lack of history are a bit harsh...especially coming from the Scousers...Chelsea won a European trophy a few years before Liverpool ever did and Chelsea were champions of England in the 1950s (way before their five recent triumphs), they were FA Cup and League Cup winners in the 1960s (before winning those trophies another ten times combined) and they won five European trophies in the 1970s, 1990s and 2010s....

And your question about naming a club with a poorer record and tradition than us with better support....I’d give Bradford City an honourable mention for having at least comparable support....they’ve had higher average attendances than us in 10 of the last 20 seasons...and they’ve basically won naff all of note in the last 107 years and they’ve only had 12 seasons in the top tier and 10 of those were before 1922...compared to our 9 seasons in the top div....fair comparison?

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, thanks for taking the time to give a detailed response.

I’ve always thought jibes about Chelsea’s perceived lack of history are a bit harsh...especially coming from the Scousers...Chelsea won a European trophy a few years before Liverpool ever did and Chelsea were champions of England in the 1950s (way before their five recent triumphs), they were FA Cup and League Cup winners in the 1960s (before winning those trophies another ten times combined) and they won five European trophies in the 1970s, 1990s and 2010s....

And your question about naming a club with a poorer record and tradition than us with better support....I’d give Bradford City an honourable mention for having at least comparable support....they’ve had higher average attendances than us in 10 of the last 20 seasons...and they’ve basically won naff all of note in the last 107 years and they’ve only had 12 seasons in the top tier and 10 of those were before 1922...compared to our 9 seasons in the top div....fair comparison?

Pretty good! I did have them in mind, but discounted them because they have been offering dirt-cheap season tickets for a few years now, because their attendances were falling, but let's not get into that now. 

I think it's harsh to call our support "paltry" in comparison to the Sheffield clubs, Wednesday especially. But anyway.

The population stat was from sheffield.gov.uk, their city council site.

4 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Pretty good! I did have them in mind, but discounted them because they have been offering dirt-cheap season tickets for a few years now, because their attendances were falling, but let's not get into that now. 

I think it's harsh to call our support "paltry" in comparison to the Sheffield clubs, Wednesday especially. But anyway.

The population stat was from sheffield.gov.uk, their city council site.

Population stats vary on so many websites, dunno if we’ll ever know the truth! Our support before the last couple of seasons has been relatively paltry compared to the Sheffield clubs...United averaged 21k when they were in league one...I know we had the stadium conversion to deal with but we are now finally growing our crowds steadily and it’s all going in the right direction. 

And, as you noted, Bradford’s season ticket pricing policy has been superb recently, we could have learnt a lot from them on that, but alas we haven’t. With the right pricing strategy we could fill the stadium every week....but don’t get me started on that, it’s still too raw! We just don’t look to the future...as many on here may know, my other great passion has been Partick Thistle FC since 1974...they still let all U-16s in free for every game, league or Cup...and it works...they are competing with the Old Firm and they do something positive about it rather than whinge...

17 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

I hope you are being ironic. How can somewhere be part of something when it is in a different county?

Bristol is a city and county. 

Ironic no, you'll be telling me next that Long Ashton and Whitchurch Village aren't part of Bristol.

On 3/3/2018 at 23:43, Harry said:

I’ve not seen, once in my lifetime, that police are required on stand by to help clear a gangway? 

Strange response. 

very curious, but also rather kind of them - maybe next weekend they can head on up to Sainsbury's after to assist the elderly in the packing of bags. 

On a different note, whether or not violence at football is justified is neither here nor there; the point is that followers of a team the size of Wednesday should know better. Acting 'lively' on a major street away at a club like ours is going to attract attention, and some of it will be hostile. They were either tremendously stupid, tremendously naive, or, frankly, 'looking for it'. Either way it's hard to feel sympathy when there's been such a collective by-pass of common sense. 

Archived