IGNORED

Record Number of Season Tickets Sold!

CyderInACan

6 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

No, not at all mate. It just shows that when push comes to shove, the majority of us will just bend over backwards and pay up. (I include myself in this) 

He won't give a toss, as long as there are other people taking their place. I wonder how long it will be before we become like Cardiff? A shadow  of our former selves, playing in a sterile atmosphere with all the old die hards priced out and disillusioned... taken over by the Johnny come latelys attracted by a shiny stadium and Premiership football.

Sometimes I feel like packing it all in and supporting Keynsham Town or Bristol Manor Farm.

It's also become a day out for the new home-owners in Southville who can't be arsed to drive to Alton Towers with the kids.

9 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

It's also become a day out for the new home-owners in Southville who can't be arsed to drive to Alton Towers with the kids.

Oh deary me no - the Southville lot hate the football. They never realised that moving near a football stadium would bring them into contact with football fans who actually want to park on the streets that they've PAID TO PARK ON. 

Probably completely off topic, but it is not quite as simple as simply stating everyone who has not renewed has chosen not to do so, I know of several reds who have lost loved ones this season who were ST holders, they would dearly love to have renewed, but sadly they can’t.

45 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The headline here is that 11.39% of last season's original season ticket holder purchasers have not renewed.

Where does that stand amongst the club's season ticket sales 'records', Mr Ashton?

Surely a fairer comparison would be to compare that renewal rate at the start of the season.

It is virtually 5 months away and for whatever reason not everyone will renew at earliest opportunity.

56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hmm, I take it back a bit then- 1,320 ST not renewing is actually a shade over a 10% fall.

A 10% fall after statistically arguably the best season in a decade (weighted for League position, division we are in and the Cup run), is pretty interesting.

Just playing devils advocate a bit here, but there must be a natural percentage of non-renewers each year for reasons not directly related to the club or football; moving away, change of financial situation, Saturday job, etc, etc. There will also be some intending to renew but haven’t been able to yet. All of the above would account for a fair number of that 10% I would imagine.

This is one of the situations where everyone can spin the numbers to say different things, but the only fair comparison is like-for-like with this time last year - and that figure is up. We can reasonably assume that the club will start next season with more STH than this. Which is surprising!

46 minutes ago, phantom said:

Which is a big hole in the finances - losing 11% of any income is not good.

Unfortunately it isn't. Just a baseless presumption of average season ticket price of say 300 (blending kids, oaps, adults, stands etc) it's a £360k hole, even pushing average to £500 is a £600k black hole. 

Given what they expect to increase potd revenue by in premium areas, I think the faces in the boardroom are like cats that got the cream. 

I did renew, I have buyer's remorse though. 

I didn’t renew for this current season due to moving from Bristol, first time since 2007 not having a season ticket, I’ve just renewed this morning and I’m back in the Dolman for the first time since the 2007/08 season (still not living in Bristol). I wanted to go in the south stand but I’m weird and will only ever purchase an aisle seat, and there were no decent aisle seats left in the south stand. I’m sure there will be a fair few hundred or so buying a season cards today because I can tell you one thing, this season, sitting at home following th game on twitter, the radio, on here and sky sports has been awful! It’s just not the same! Saturdays aren’t the same unless you’re at the gate watching it live. So I don’t care I have to pay a little bit more, I’m now 25 and for the first time paying adult prices! But it beats staying at home waiting for a gif to pop up! Plus there’s also the chance we could go up, all the ones that didn’t renew will kick themselves then as they scramble for any seat available.... 

bring it on 

Without knowing how many of those tickets held at the beginning of last season were purchased during the early bird window, all these comparisons are completely meaningless. 

With regards retaining the majority of or building on the half season ticket sales, pure fantasy. Most of those were only sold to see Manchester and a small proportion because some day trippers were petrified they were going to miss a promotion (despite not giving a shit until we started doing well) 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Without knowing how many of those tickets held at the beginning of last season were purchased during the early bird window, all these comparisons are completely meaningless. 

With regards retaining the majority of or building on the half season ticket sales, pure fantasy. Most of those were only sold to see Manchester and a small proportion because some day trippers were petrified they were going to miss a promotion (despite not giving a shit until we started doing well) 

Have to agree that a large number of those half ST sales were due to a pretty unique combination of a massively high profile game and promotion contention. The conversion rate to a full season ticket was never going to be that high.

The other thing you’d say about that is, if we had the exact same scenario against next season, you would likely be building from a higher starting point and could well end up with a figure higher than 16k.

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Have to agree that a large number of those half ST sales were due to a pretty unique combination of a massively high profile game and promotion contention. The conversion rate to a full season ticket was never going to be that high.

The other thing you’d say about that is, if we had the exact same scenario against next season, you would likely be building from a higher starting point and could well end up with a figure higher than 16k.

Would tend to agree with this.

On the flipside, 1,100 out of 3,100 half season ticket holders renewing is potentially higher than expected in terms of retention rate.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would tend to agree with this.

On the flipside, 1,100 out of 3,100 half season ticket holders renewing is potentially higher than expected in terms of retention rate.

I think it’s actually a really good rate. I certinaly wouldn’t have bet on a 1 in 3 renewal rate, knowing how many ‘fans’ crawled out of the woodwork for Manchester. 

I renewed 4 on the deadline , but did so out of blind loyalty and felt no excitement or pleasure in doing so.

Truth to be told, im doing it to ensure my kids support city and thats it.

I talked to a few fans on Saturday and all had renewed 'begrudgingly and very late on.

Dont get me wrong, i fully understand the club spinning positive on it, but i think its misguided and the renewals trade on a love for the club itself, not the manager, board, owner or brand.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hmm, I take it back a bit then- 1,320 ST not renewing is actually a shade over a 10% fall.

A 10% fall after statistically arguably the best season in a decade (weighted for League position, division we are in and the Cup run), is pretty interesting.

But the 10% who haven't renewed (assuming this is right) have been replaced by new people, surely it's normal to have a certain level of customer turnover in any business? Also it's a long time until the start of the season so the number will have risen by then.

16 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I renewed 4 on the deadline , but did so out of blind loyalty and felt no excitement or pleasure in doing so.

Truth to be told, im doing it to ensure my kids support city and thats it.

I talked to a few fans on Saturday and all had renewed 'begrudgingly and very late on.

Dont get me wrong, i fully understand the club spinning positive on it, but i think its misguided and the renewals trade on a love for the club itself, not the manager, board, owner or brand.

Agreed did the same but to be honest we want the club to succeed and part of this is large crowds , I think a few who held out will now think sod it I’ve made a point but it’s what I do on a Saturday , if they and a few more half tickets renew then 14 k ish as a start to season figure is very good , it will mean crowds may count as 19-20 k rather than the 22k given at present but hey ho , the main thing now is sort out the squad now or in the summer so I don’t have to watch the dire crap I saw on Monday 

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I feel a little sad. A chance to prove that as a fanbase we were united, and stand up against MA and the Lansdowns. Instead it is business as usual as the apathy that plagues this country shows its face again. No wonder the place is a glorified theatre.

I know where you're coming from, but I think in truth people just want to go along and watch their local football team play some decent stuff and support a club that's heading in the right direction.

As an exiled fan, I've felt so deflated with the way our bubble has seemingly popped since Christmas - following the outrage on here, leading some people to call for Lee Johnson's sacking, you kind of forget some of the things we've done this season.

If anything, this is actually quite a nice little reminder that we've come a fair way in a relatively short space of time and we're generally doing OK.

I’m genuinely surprised at those numbers and I’m sure the club are very pleased with them. 

Dare I say that it appears that the shite storm & hot air on here was not reflective of the general feeling surrounding the release of season tickets and the club will surely be sat thinking that despite a certain amount of initial unrest, that the compromises made have left them with a very satisfactory set of decisions made. 

Numbers don’t lie and if we’ve sold more season tickets than ever before at this stage, then you’d have to suggest that they didn’t actually get it all that wrong at all. 

Just now, The Journalist said:

I know where you're coming from, but I think in truth people just want to go along and watch their local football team play some decent stuff and support a club that's heading in the right direction.

As an exiled fan, I've felt so deflated with the way our bubble has seemingly popped since Christmas - following the outrage on here, leading some people to call for Lee Johnson's sacking, you kind of forget some of the things we've done this season.

If anything, this is actually quite a nice little reminder that we've come a fair way in a relatively short space of time and we're generally doing OK.

On the pitch, despite the recent slump, we are arguably in a better position than 2008, and therefore the best position since being relegated from Div 1. However the club has ceased to be a club anymore. Football is far more than just a game. It gives people and identity and a sense of community that they may not otherwise have. By killing that, which BS are doing, to call us a club anymore is simply a joke. Just a business now

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

I’m genuinely surprised at those numbers and I’m sure the club are very pleased with them. 

Dare I say that it appears that the shite storm & hot air on here was not reflective of the general feeling surrounding the release of season tickets and the club will surely be sat thinking that despite a certain amount of initial unrest, that the compromises made have left them with a very satisfactory set of decisions made. 

Numbers don’t lie and if we’ve sold more season tickets than ever before at this stage, then you’d have to suggest that they didn’t actually get it all that wrong at all. 

The social dynamic of football makes it far more complicated. The people who have chosen not to renew on here have been AG regulars since childhood, sticking by the club in the 3rd and sometimes 4th tiers. They seem to be replaced by the slightly more affluent, but less passionate type. This gives two issues

1) The club is giving the finger to members of our loyal core fanbase. "Thanks for sticking by us when we needed you most, but we can now upgrade to a more affluent fan. So long and thanks for all the fish."

2) As we have seen with Cardiff, who would have lost a lot of core fans over the kit colour change, still earned more fans because of on the pitch success. When they returned to the championship, they started getting some crowds lower than they got at ninian. If you kill off the core, when the hard times come, you have less to fall back on when you need them most.

The whole thing stank, still stinks, and will stink till the club starts acting like its own name, by being a club. 

13 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It is the apathy that should seriously concern. 

People have renewed, and the biggest single factor for me at the last day was we just might be in the PL for the first time ever.

If the deadline to renew was not so early the numbers would undoubtedly be a lot lower should we not make the playoffs. The club knew this and played on it hence the deadline HAD to be before the bank holiday and with Millwall and Boro upcoming. In 2 weeks time we could be realistically certain we won't make the playoffs and a lot of people wouldn't have been, frankly bullied, in to renewing. 

The club has got away with it by virtue of the carrot resting on a house of cards. 

I think it would be foolish to think they have not seriously damaged goodwill, but unfortunately it seems that there are a few jesters around the place. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

People have renewed, and the biggest single factor for me at the last day was we just might be in the PL for the first time ever.

If the deadline to renew was not so early the numbers would undoubtedly be a lot lower should we not make the playoffs. The club knew this and played on it hence the deadline HAD to be before the bank holiday and with Millwall and Boro upcoming. In 2 weeks time we could be realistically certain we won't make the playoffs and a lot of people wouldn't have been, frankly bullied, in to renewing. 

The club has got away with it by virtue of the carrot resting on a house of cards. 

I think it would be foolish to think they have not seriously damaged goodwill, but unfortunately it seems that there are a few jesters around the place. 

Old Bristolian proverb: A carrot resting on a house of cards might end up in the soup...

1 minute ago, The Journalist said:

Again, I do totally understand where you're coming from, but 12,000 people have just paid serious money for to watch us play and invest themselves in our matchday experience for the next year or so - can things be that wrong? Like, We're talking more people than ever before here.

Is professional football what it was 20, 15 or even 10 years ago? Certainly not, but that applies across the board. Personally, when I look in from the outside at how other clubs are run and the growing disconnect fans are feeling, we seem to be one of the lucky ones.

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

No, not at all mate. It just shows that when push comes to shove, the majority of us will just bend over backwards and pay up. (I include myself in this) 

He won't give a toss, as long as there are other people taking their place. I wonder how long it will be before we become like Cardiff? A shadow  of our former selves, playing in a sterile atmosphere with all the old die hards priced out and disillusioned... taken over by the Johnny come latelys attracted by a shiny stadium and a push for Premiership football. Call me cynical, but this is exactly what Ashton and the other suits want.

Sometimes I feel like packing it all in and supporting Keynsham Town or Bristol Manor Farm.

Almost there already sadly

12 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Again, I do totally understand where you're coming from, but 12,000 people have just paid serious money for to watch us play and invest themselves in our matchday experience for the next year or so - can things be that wrong? Like, we're talking more people than ever before here.

Is professional football what it was 20, 15 or even 10 years ago? Certainly not, but that applies across the board. Personally, when I look in from the outside at how other clubs are run and the growing disconnect fans are feeling, we seem to be one of the lucky ones.

Hi Mark. Hope you're happy with the renewal numbers. 

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

An absolute load of old pony.

So the singing section sold out during the renewal period eh, Ashton?

So who was lucky enough to beat the queue to take the ticket @Harry decided not to renew.

Why so?

We've now finished a renewal period plus window for season ticket holders to move seats if they wished - so someone from the Dolman may have moved into an empty singing section seat. It doesn't require a new buyer to come in and take it, just a move.

58 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I’m not convinced the number would have been a lot lower without the possibility of the play offs.

Everyone who has bought so far was happy to buy last season knowing they were going to be watching Championship football, and after a mediocre 17th place finish the season before too. I don’t think the relatively slim chance of PL football would have accounted for that many renewals this time around.

4 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

I'm sure most of the kids would much prefer to come to Ashton Gate to watch a game of football than go to Alton Towers with all their rides and adrenaline thrills .

:yes:

Archived