IGNORED

Record Number of Season Tickets Sold!

CyderInACan

16 hours ago, Jarman said:

Why renew if you don't even know next season's opponents?? Season tickets (sorry CARDS) should not be on sale in March.  I love theatre but would not book up in advance not knowing who or what was on stage.  It could be Shrewsbury or it could be Man City ... I would like to know first ... 

'Ark at Harold pretending to be a City fan....

On 4/4/2018 at 14:06, frenchred said:

Let's wait and judge on final numbers we can do away with Ashton's bullshit then

This is true, those who are accusing the club of spin are equally guilty by treating these figures as final. I got shot down before for saying that any tickets not purchased would get picked up by other fans. We may not like the fact that football crowd demographics across the UK are changing, but like lot's of changes in the world it's a fact of life. Mr Ashton has been tasked by Steve Lansdown to maximise the revenue that his expensive investment warrants, he is doing a good job.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Meanwhile giants of the game like Rotherham & Shrewsbury get on & build modern stadia totally suitable for their status..

That is the moot point though Graham as the gas are 'bigger than Barca' so need a mahoosive stadium 'suitable for their status' (even though everyone else knows a ground like the Shrews would be just right for them). 

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The Shrews are my equal second favourite team. Lived there for ten years and spent many hours at the Gay Meadow when City weren't playing. The other one is Livingston as also lived there for a couple of years. 

"Spent many hours at the Gay Meadow?" now steady on mate, what you do in your own time is your business :whistle:

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The Shrews are my equal second favourite team. Lived there for ten years and spent many hours at the Gay Meadow when City weren't playing. The other one is Livingston as also lived there for a couple of years. 

I’m not sure Shropshire counts as abroad, and Scotland is a bit tenuous.  Guessing your user name came from your time in the Isle of Wight? :P

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

This is true, those who are accusing the club of spin are equally guilty by treating these figures as final. I got shot down before for saying that any tickets not purchased would get picked up by other fans. We may not like the fact that football crowd demographics across the UK are changing, but like lot's of changes in the world it's a fact of life. Mr Ashton has been tasked by Steve Lansdown to maximise the revenue that his expensive investment warrants, he is doing a good job.

You're not wrong about crowd demographics changing across the UK.

Would suggest that every- say 5 years as a fair number- that passes, it becomes that bit more sanitised.

Just had a look @Alan Dicks and in April last year at end of renewal period EP reports we had hit 11500 but %5 down on previous season

Then in November there is an EP article below which quotes Mark Ashton and states

Bristol City have announced that they have broken their all-time record for number of season card holders which is now at 15,300

This is down to the number of people purchasing half-season cards as a result of City's so far successful 2017/18 campaign which sees them sitting fourth in the Sky Bet Championship

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-ashton-pays-thanks-supporters-785354

By my calculations about %9  of those who currently hold season cards whether full or half season have not  renewed to date

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Like I've said in the past, last 10-20 years the fan base- I'd perhaps even argue the core- has grown without a doubt 

I'm not saying all the 14k are diehard but on balance last decade or 2, definitely growth and retention have risen overall IMO.

Looking at it dispassionately, surely people on both sides of the argument can see why the club have continued on their course? Selling this many tickets must seem like the best form of justification for their chosen path and they must be looking on the dissenters as a small group of malcontents, not worth the detour.

14 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Looking at it dispassionately, surely people on both sides of the argument can see why the club have continued on their course? Selling this many tickets must seem like the best form of justification for their chosen path and they must be looking on the dissenters as a small group of malcontents, not worth the detour.

100% that is how the club would see it, I suspect.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

which is in actuality....true !

We shouldn’t compare the current number of season tickets with last year’s grand total, as this included half season tickets. Many (most?) who bought half season tickets did so on the back of a good cup run and the prospect of getting a preferential ticket allocation for future cup matches. 

17 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

We shouldn’t compare the current number of season tickets with last year’s grand total, as this included half season tickets. Many (most?) who bought half season tickets did so on the back of a good cup run and the prospect of getting a preferential ticket allocation for future cup matches. 

While I agree in general terms, there was a figure extrapolated from the first set of numbers that suggested 1/3 of half season ticket holders had got full one ones this season.

I would think that is higher than anticipated, all told.

3 hours ago, class not gas said:

Don' think we sold 14000 at this time last season,when season started may have reached those numbers so it' very encouraging 

By first game of last season we had sold 12,600 - so 14,000 already is very good indeed! 

14000 is good but won’t often hit 20k like we did this second half of the season no? We often compare our average attendance to other championship clubs. If memory serves me correctly there are about 10 clubs that get roughly 25k then a big drop off. Think we are midtable in that regards with an average of 20k. That is the disappointment. That we could have closed that 5k gap some with more sensible decisions. 

Archived