IGNORED

If not LJ, then who?

ChippenhamRed

I've not contributed to this thread so far, not least because the notion that some people would prefer to have Mick McCarthy or Alan Pardew as manager is so surreal that I almost refuse to admit that it could possibly exist, but ultimately Lee isn't going anywhere, so why not debate what realistic steps he and the club need to take to see us progress next season?

43 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I've not contributed to this thread so far, not least because the notion that some people would prefer to have Mick McCarthy or Alan Pardew as manager is so surreal that I almost refuse to admit that it could possibly exist, but ultimately Lee isn't going anywhere, so why not debate what realistic steps he and the club need to take to see us progress next season?

Why not start a thread on that very point then? This is a (very much hypothetical) thread about other managers whom people feel could do a job here. 

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You will have to explain to me why it is so “surreal” to suggest an available manager with two Championship promotions to his name, as a potentially suitable manager to get us promoted from the Championship and preferable to a manager who CV doesn’t currently include any tangible achievements.

On 08/04/2018 at 14:44, old_eastender said:

As a left field option how about Mikel Arteta, assistant coach at Man City, might be looking to forge his own managerial career and could bring to reality the fabled use of Man City youngsters on loan?

Reality is, as much as I and many others would like to be rid of LJ, it is not going to happen, until it's too late. Perhaps best we can hope for, is someone like Joe Jordan coming in as DOF to help LJ out.

He wouldnt listen to joe only chance you would have is get his ol man back

For those who say LJ won’t be sacked, this is true in the short / medium term, but every manager is sackable eventually, with the exception of Arsene Wenger. Hypothetically, if LJ starts the season with another of his bad runs, SL might decide he has to be ruthless by December. At some point LJ has to demonstrate he has the ability to put together a team that can play consistently well for a whole season. If he can’t do this he will go. Gary Johnson had a very good relationship with SL, but eventually he got the sack, though it was called “by mutual consent”

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Oh, you mean the guy who took WBA up to the premier league as champions of the championship after previously also guiding them to the championship play off final and then getting them to an FA Cup semi final....? That Mowbray? 

And what’s he done in the last ten years? His win rate anywhere he’s been since - exception Blackburn where they’re head and shoulders above everyone else in the league squad wise, is less than Johnson. 

Even if we were in the market for a new manager, which we’re clearly not, it wouldn’t exactly be a progressive appointment would it. 

What’s the point in changing for the sake of it unless you’re replacing with better. 

On an unrelated note I can’t belive TM is only 54!

23 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

And what’s he done in the last ten years? His win rate anywhere he’s been since - exception Blackburn where they’re head and shoulders above everyone else in the league squad wise, is less than Johnson. 

Even if we were in the market for a new manager, which we’re clearly not, it wouldn’t exactly be a progressive appointment would it. 

What’s the point in changing for the sake of it unless you’re replacing with better. 

On an unrelated note I can’t belive TM is only 54!

Not saying we should appoint him....just find it funny how so many instantly dismiss managers who have had real success at this level whenever they are mentioned....TM has won this division...he took a team up as champions....was just pointing that out...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not saying we should appoint him....just find it funny how so many instantly dismiss managers who have had real success at this level whenever they are mentioned....TM has won this division...he took a team up as champions....was just pointing that out...

Fair point. I just can’t take anything that certain people say very seriously.

TM is a reasonable manager but strikes me as one who isn’t exactly on the up in the general direction of his career, though Blackburn will be better equipped to compete at this level next season than previously. 

45 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Oh, you mean the guy who took WBA up to the premier league as champions of the championship after previously also guiding them to the championship play off final and then getting them to an FA Cup semi final....? That Mowbray? 

Dour northerner.....

.....who I’ve got a lot of time for.  :P

Not saying he should be our next manager, but he is an experienced, well principled manager who doesn’t make excuses.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fair point. I just can’t take anything that certain people say very seriously.

TM is a reasonable manager but strikes me as one who isn’t exactly on the up in the general direction of his career, though Blackburn will be better equipped to compete at this level next season than previously. 

You’re right, and I wasn’t singling you out....it just happens a lot on here. Tony Mowbray took WBA to the championship play off final, then he took them up to the Premier League as CHAMPIONS of the championship then he took them to an FA Cup Semi Final....And yet people on here ridicule him....good grief, lots on here wet themselves when LJ took us to the League Cup Semi Final....if he’d also achieved what Mowbray did for WBA then there would have been calls for a (albeit quite small) statue of him to be erected outside the Gate....why people laugh at managers who have had success that LJ can only dream of is beyond me...

Bit pointless as LJ is going no where, but fun all the same.

Was it not Warnock who said shortly before the Cardiff game that everyone in football knows that LJ has the golden ticket (or similar words) re having SL as owner, clearly implying he is a lucky so and so.  (which he is)  I suspect any manager to jump through hoops to come here with an owner like SL.  

If by chance  LJ did go in near future ,  it would not be an issue getting another manager here.  Bet MA goes before him mind  :ph34r: 

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

And getting Blackburn up this season. What has LJ achieved as a manager? I'm still waiting. 

On 09/04/2018 at 23:00, BS4 on Tour... said:

You’re right, and I wasn’t singling you out....it just happens a lot on here. Tony Mowbray took WBA to the championship play off final, then he took them up to the Premier League as CHAMPIONS of the championship then he took them to an FA Cup Semi Final....And yet people on here ridicule him....good grief, lots on here wet themselves when LJ took us to the League Cup Semi Final....if he’d also achieved what Mowbray did for WBA then there would have been calls for a (albeit quite small) statue of him to be erected outside the Gate....why people laugh at managers who have had success that LJ can only dream of is beyond me...

And Mowbray is charging towards another promotion....laughable how we ignore/ridicule/dismiss potential managers who actually ‘achieve’ something....we just support those who haven’t...

Good grief, there was even people on here ridiculing Warnock recently and discussing whether he’d had Botox whilst ‘hilariously’ comparing him to Mrs Doubtfire - conveniently ignoring the fact that he is on the verge of an EIGHTH promotion....would he have let us fall from 2nd to mid-table? No bloody way....as I’ve said before, the anti-success brigade on here are scared of big, successful managers....it’s easier to talk about ‘the project’ and DNA and the length of grass at away games...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

And Mowbray is charging towards another promotion....laughable how we ignore/ridicule/dismiss potential managers who actually ‘achieve’ something....we just support those who haven’t...

Good grief, there was even people on here ridiculing Warnock recently and discussing whether he’d had Botox whilst ‘hilariously’ comparing him to Mrs Doubtfire - conveniently ignoring the fact that he is on the verge of an EIGHTH promotion....would he have let us fall from 2nd to mid-table? No bloody way....as I’ve said before, the anti-success brigade on here are scared of big, successful managers....it’s easier to talk about ‘the project’ and DNA and the length of grass at away games...

Not sure coming second (probably) - with the best team in the league on paper by a country mile - in Division 3 is actually that much of an achievement all told. 

He’s done a decent job there getting them back up but he’s hardly working a miracle there. I’d expect any seasoned manager to be giving it a right good go with that squad in that league 

Oi - that Doubtfire Photoshop is quality.  It was done by someone for me.

I like Warnock (most of the time) apart from when we are in direct opposition.

I like Mowbray too...honest.  Like Mick, similar type.

I like Gary Monk.  I like Rosler when he was at Fleetwood.

Dislike Allardyce, but respect what he’s done.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not sure coming second (probably) - with the best team in the league on paper by a country mile - in Division 3 is actually that much of an achievement all told. 

He’s done a decent job there getting them back up but he’s hardly working a miracle there. I’d expect any seasoned manager to be giving it a right good go with that squad in that league 

Same could have been said of us numerous times at that level in fairness  86 ((And failed repeatedly)

Weve never bounced straight back up and on average it’s taken us 8 seasons each time to get promoted

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I’d say promotion at any level is an achievement....but each to their own...

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Same could have been said of us numerous times at that level in fairness  86 ((And failed repeatedly)

Weve never bounced straight back up and on average it’s taken us 8 seasons each time to get promoted

I agree, we massively underperformed, plain and simple!

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’d say promotion at any level is an achievement....but each to their own...

Not meaning to downplay the achievement, it still takes a good manager to get the best out of the squad, but it’s not exactly a miracle job to get the best team in a league they’re far too good for promoted....the real test will be whether he can get them competitive again in the Championship 

I’ve always thought Mowbray a decent manager

Hibernian

Scottish manager of year

Two top four finishes there in his two seasons - first time Hiba had done that for donkeys

WBA

Rebuilt at WBA and took them to a Championship P.O. Final and the following season the title and semi final of FA Cup

LMA manager of year

Then a indifferent period -  binned  by Celtic after half a season , a solid role at Middlesborough but no promotion followed by a spell at basketcase Coventry

Now Looks like getting Blackburn straight back uo

Not perfect but I don’t think that’s a bad CV

A bit dour but knows the game

As I said a ‘decent’ manager IMHO 

On 08/04/2018 at 21:16, 1960maaan said:

I think you may be right, talking to a mate the other day who was going through the players we had bid for. If it wasn't for interference etc  things could have been different, I wasn't aware of some , and only heard the rumour about JL trying to renegotiate with one player after a deal was all but done.

yes deal was apparently done with gray till he tried to negotiate different terms 

On 08/04/2018 at 13:41, Bobfish said:

I've run out of likes so quoting you both will have to do. The more I think about this, the more it fits. Before we signed Tomlin, after the "sign him up" chant 4-0? game, LJ did an interview on rb where he frequently mentioned Tomlin being a maverick and a "big personality", with some apprehension. And I am sure he mentioned during our cup run that he wanted to have a few moments with Mourinino then pep about "managing personalities", considering the greats they have worked with.

In interviews, both dean holden and JM (nice guys, but hardly intimidating) have mentioned that they are allowed to voice their views of what they agree/disagree with in their office, but once they leave their office no disagreement is allowed. This, whilst I suppose showing a unified front, also shows LJ doesn't like being confronted or questioned in front of the players, and I doubt the players themselves have a opportunity to question except whilst in training/group scenarios. Most managers would take such in their stride, but LJ's insistence hints at insecurity, which is slightly surprising judging by how much he likes the camera - when things are going well, that is. Yet many famous people are incredibly insecure.

Perhaps this is why the greater experienced, and perhaps vocal, pemberton was removed.

If this is a major cause of our problems then what is the solution, other than for LJ to man up or get out?

oh dear…:disapointed2se: Doesn't bode well…:surrender:

Pembo :(

On 08/04/2018 at 14:06, Dynamite Red said:

If you want an up and coming young manager then look no further than Paul Hurst at Shrewsbury, performed minor miracles.

If Lansdown is unwavering from his strategy (which is why LJ is so secure) then I actually think Paul Tisdale (puts tin hat) would be a good fit if you want an experienced youngish coach who over performs with a low budget, develops young players.

Craig Shakespeare and Danny Cowley are both two interesting choices.

Not advocating any of these, just throwing out ideas.

On 08/04/2018 at 14:25, Spike said:

Will these names be able to work within Steve Lansdowns conditions?
Will these names be financially realistic?
Will these names want to live in Bristol?

Between you (I already have my tin hat on), haven't you just described the chief methane sorter? 

On 08/04/2018 at 14:48, Davefevs said:

@Bobfish covered what I was gonna say in post #138....very astute both of you.

Tin hat on, but I think Cotts would’ve done a decent job with the funding LJ has had.  I know a lot / most of you will disagree.

See my topic on Championship Finances.  Brentford Budget last season was £14.7m v ours of £17.9m.  They play Moneyball (recruit and sell) better than us though.

Last season I went off on one re leadership, senior players, young players etc, based on an experience I had.  I was one of a few senior players in a team with a manager who started to play young kids over us, because We had an opinion.  We went from P8,W4,D4,L0, conceding 4, to surviving relegation on the final day....as the senior players were gradually "removed’ and replaced by easily impressed kids.

Are you Gary O'Neil ?

Do I get a prize ? 

Archived