IGNORED

If not LJ, then who?

ChippenhamRed

I back LJ to remain in charge based on the principle of season-on-season incremental progress - but equally I understand and share the concern, even alarm, caused by our post-Christmas decline.

Since it now appears to be back in vogue to call for the manager’s head - who is the answer? Who is a realistic candidate who we can we be genuinely confident would do a better job than LJ next season?

Genuine question. Answers on a postcard please, and please give your reasons.

In anticipation - “anyone but LJ” is not an answer.

1 minute ago, Tiree said:

Talking to lifelong Man City fans they say Pep is a bottler, spends crazy stupid money on poor keepers, overpriced fullbacks that have their skill removed and is detached from the fan base. 

Blue it at Anfield and bottled it again today. Our fans are not the only ones to call for the trendy nonsense of replacing managers like fodder when they disappoint in the short term. 

It's rigidly engrained in the psyche of most football fans that want a change of manager when results are not going for them. What they don't consider is the massive upheaval that sacking a manager causes within the club  becauses it's not just the manager that goes but the majority of his backroom staff as well and that has an unsettling effect throughout the club.

The new bloke will want his own people with him,. New ideas with staff..........

Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

Why? Make a case for them @Red_Wizard, I’m genuinely interested to hear.

Paul Cook has shown at each club he’s managed he can assemble a squad to fight for promotion, including promotion with Portsmouth and looks like Wigan will also be promoted.

I love Dean Smiths style of football. However, he’s yet to achieve anything in football. 

But I still believe both are better than Johnson 

1 minute ago, Red_Wizard said:

Paul Cook has shown at each club he’s managed he can assemble a squad to fight for promotion, including promotion with Portsmouth and looks like Wigan will also be promoted.

I love Dean Smiths style of football. However, he’s yet to achieve anything in football. 

But I still believe both are better than Johnson 

Fair enough.

18 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Can we have the chap who people think could be brought in to help Lee?

Warnock

(hiding behind the sofa)

not a clue who would be the best shout,no I don’t want the idiot over the bridge!

we need something to happen now, if the miracle don’t happen we need to start next season running and it has to be with marathon stamina and a real leader, which LJ clearly is not

1 minute ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Mick McCarthy

Steve McClaren 

Alan Pardew

Nigel Pearson 

Slaven Bilic 

Roberto di Matteo

Jaap Stam

Ryan Nelsen

All hungry and with a point to prove one way or another.  

Your boys took a hell of a beating.......

3 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Mick McCarthy

Steve McClaren 

Alan Pardew

Nigel Pearson 

Slaven Bilic 

Roberto di Matteo

Jaap Stam

Ryan Nelsen

All hungry and with a point to prove one way or another.  

Oh FFS

Pardiola - won one game in charge of WBA with, at base ability level, a squad that was not as bad as they’ve shown in the prem

Stam - gone on as bad a run post last years playoffs as we are currently

Di Matteo -  had the hugely resourced Villa at this level and couldn’t succeed

McClaren - oversaw a Derby slump at least as bad as our current one is, with more cash.

Ignoring whether it’s right or wrong to can LJ, how are the above better candidates???

57 minutes ago, Tiree said:

Talking to lifelong Man City fans they say Pep is a bottler, spends crazy stupid money on poor keepers, overpriced fullbacks that have their skill removed and is detached from the fan base. 

Blue it at Anfield and bottled it again today. Our fans are not the only ones to call for the trendy nonsense of replacing managers like fodder when they disappoint in the short term. 

Sure they do

So having a manager who done ok and only that at Oldham , nearly took Barnsley down with one of his famous winless streaks , 

comes here and the winless streaks follows him , that’s not unlucky   , that’s a pattern he can’t shake off , 

it’s up to city to do due diligence and find a boss who has experience at this level   , and also players also 

buying players for the future is admirable , however makes us a selling club   

20 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Mick McCarthy

Steve McClaren 

Alan Pardew

Nigel Pearson 

Slaven Bilic 

Roberto di Matteo

Jaap Stam

Ryan Nelsen

All hungry and with a point to prove one way or another. All more experienced and successful than Lee.

Apart from RDM what have the others done to make you want them to manage us?

Reason they all have a point to prove is because they have all failed in other jobs!!!

One problem I think with Dean Smith is we'd seemingly be a sideways move, similar league position and their transfer system is excellent so still gets the players without big money. Why should he risk a good thing he's got going at Brentford and risk having to start somewhere new would be the problem. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I back LJ to remain in charge based on the principle of season-on-season incremental progress - but equally I understand and share the concern, even alarm, caused by our post-Christmas decline.

Since it now appears to be back in vogue to call for the manager’s head - who is the answer? Who is a realistic candidate who we can we be genuinely confident would do a better job than LJ next season?

Genuine question. Answers on a postcard please, and please give your reasons.

In anticipation - “anyone but LJ” is not an answer.

It’s a tricky one for sure..... and I’m not saying I want LJ out as it stands but if we were looking: 

Graham Potter at Östersunds - proven that he can take a team through the ranks and his team looked very good in their European run with some decent scalps.  

McCarthy would do well I think but you have to question if he’s still looking to stay in the game. Would need to be sounded out regards his ambition moving forwards.   

Marco Silva would need serious cash but would show massive ambition.  Not sure he’d come here anyway - depends on his other offers but probably a bit above our current means  

Craig Shakespeare - see Silva - not sure he’d come down to here but would be worth a shot.  Thought he did pretty well at Leicester goven the circumstances  

Alex Neil - if we could tempt him away from Preston. He’s done well with what he’s got there imho.  

Would definitely be a tricky one to call whatever but it’s very much hypothetical - LJ will be here for a long time to come.  

33 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Mick McCarthy

Steve McClaren 

Alan Pardew

Nigel Pearson 

Slaven Bilic 

Roberto di Matteo

Jaap Stam

Ryan Nelsen

All hungry and with a point to prove one way or another. All more experienced and successful than Lee.

And Nigel Adkins has got a team promoted from the championship into the premier league....quick point though...Ryan Nelsen...he’s only managed Toronto FC for a couple of seasons hasn’t he?! So not sure how he has a point to prove or how he is more experienced or successful than Lee?

10 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

One manager i dont want is PEP

SHOCKING manager 2 up at home against a team who cant beat Us and lose!!!

No idea of game management God posters on here could do better!!!!

Serious Question

As one of those  relentlessly critical of , and sarcastic to numerous other posters

Do you ever have views on how things could be changed for the better ?

Players, tactical approach , anything else ...........

As all you ever do is snipe at others posts and make stupid sarcastic comments

Can you point me in the direction of the last post you wrote with anything constructive or any ideas of your own ?

Some people will say this whole thread is shocking, I will stick my head above the parapet and apologise for it, but say honestly I would have Marco Silva in a flash.

I am biased because he started at a small team I grew up near to, but he has got some previous for winning football games, and our recent form is beyond horrific.

I was all aboard the Lee Johnson tactical genius bus this season but then sadly he's shown in the past month he doesn't know how to turn up or let alone compete.

I'm quite happy to support a young manager who is learning, but current evidence is that this club has not only made zero progress this season, it is still in a mess.

Can we stop indulging people who think just because we beat Man U we must be the resident world beaters in South East London, not simply a very average team.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

Some people will say this whole thread is shocking, I will stick my head above the parapet and apologise for it, but say honestly I would have Marco Silva in a flash.

I am biased because he started at a small team I grew up near to, but he has got some previous for winning football games, and our recent form is beyond horrific.

I was all aboard the Lee Johnson tactical genius bus this season but then sadly he's shown in the past month he doesn't know how to turn up or let alone compete.

I'm quite happy to support a young manager who is learning, but current evidence is that this club has not only made zero progress this season, it is still in a mess.

Any chance we could stop indulging people who think just because we beat Man that we are world beaters, and who could instead see this is a very average team.

Of all the names, Silva is undoubtedly the one I’d want. He gets teams playing and does it in the right way.

The concern I have is, even in the unlikely event that he’d come here, is that if he does do well, as the Everton situation showed this year, he would be after the next thing immediately. In a bizarre way, he’s as much a manager for the short term as Warnock.

Archived