IGNORED

Is Lee Johnson in credit?

Fordy62

The first half of the season was clearly incredible. We were second. We knocked United out of the cup and ran City close twice. 

The second half has been the reciprocal of the first. Absolutely dire. 

For every bit we were good in the first half, we’ve been terrible in the second half. 

So is LJ in credit? And by how much? 

If I were to rate him, I’d score him 55/100. Ever so slightly in credit. There’s no doubt that in December I’d have scored him in the high 90’s and for the second half, he’s pretty much in single figures. 

I’m not saying that he’ll be sacked, we found out last season that he’s by and large unsackable, but is he in credit for you?

Patience of some is running low and I can understand why. 

Yes, his objective will be to continually improve us season on season, despite the poor second half of the season we've had our highest finish in a decade (higher division counts as higher than winning league 1). If he can improve our finish again next season then we'll be well and truly in a play off fight, when we fail to improve season on season (barring still being top 10) then that is the time to question his position. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

The first half of the season was clearly incredible. We were second. We knocked United out of the cup and ran City close twice. 

The second half has been the reciprocal of the first. Absolutely dire. 

For every bit we were good in the first half, we’ve been terrible in the second half. 

So is LJ in credit? And by how much? 

If I were to rate him, I’d score him 55/100. Ever so slightly in credit. There’s no doubt that in December I’d have scored him in the high 90’s and for the second half, he’s pretty much in single figures. 

I’m not saying that he’ll be sacked, we found out last season that he’s by and large unsackable, but is he in credit for you?

Patience of some is running low and I can understand why. 

Next season he has to make top 6. Noo excuses

I think it depends what you're looking for in a manager. There have been some great highs this season. That cup run was up there with the best in decades. Some lovely football played in the league before Christmas, and we end the season a comfortable Championship side who can compete with anyone on our day. That's all good...full credit to LJ for that.

On the other hand if the objective is to build a team that can get promoted then my opinion of him has actually fallen this season. Clearly he has a squad that can compete. Clearly he can't get a performance out of them when it matters.

This is a great question, because it's really the whole debate since January.

We've made progress from last season. That's judged over a season, not four months, because that's how the league works. But it is concerning that we've fallen away so rapidly, especially as it's such a hallmark of LJ's managerial career, and there's no worse feeling than expecting your team to lose.

People always have short memories and we would have all taken being in the play-off hunt for 42 games this time last season, whether or not we've thrown it away or not. If you posed the same question this year people wouldn't be quite so accommodating and rightly so, because while LJ has made us better than he did last season if we are going to progress again we can't afford this kind of run.

For me he bought back the minus credit he had last season. 

I don’t know who’s out there but January’s transfer fiasco had really tucked our chances up. I know players came at a premium but you could see mid Jan the wheels were coming off. So it should of been addressed then. 

He’s just about breaking even, but if SL axed him I won’t be disappointed. 

1 minute ago, hodge said:

HAS to make top 6, implying anything other is unacceptable, if he's not sacked for something unacceptable then why no excuses for finishing 7th?

I wasnt implying sh*t mate

I simply meant people can only dine out on this "bigger picture" and "long term plan" b*llocks for so long. Eventually these plans have to start coming to fruition

Personally...I dont think he can do it. I dont think he has the capabilities and I think next season will start exactly the way this way is ending

2 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

He’s just about breaking even, but if SL axed him I won’t be disappointed. 

I think that’s not too far off where I’m at. I’d be surprised and perhaps a little sad, but I’m not sure I’d be disappointed. 

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I think it depends what you're looking for in a manager. There have been some great highs this season. That cup run was up there with the best in decades. Some lovely football played in the league before Christmas, and we end the season a comfortable Championship side who can compete with anyone on our day. That's all good...full credit to LJ for that.

On the other hand if the objective is to build a team that can get promoted then my opinion of him has actually fallen this season. Clearly he has a squad that can compete. Clearly he can't get a performance out of them when it matters.

Nail on the head and that’s the worrying thing about the position we find ourselves in now. But he won’t be let go any time soon so we are just going to have to suck it up. Incredible how we have changed from the pre Christmas form, quite unbelievable really and we can only hope they somehow he will have learned from this and won’t make the same mistakes next season.  He has to work out a way of arresting these massive slumps in form. 

Must we do this? Fuck me.

Last season we finished where? This season we’ll finish where?

I call that progress. Ok so again we flattered to deceive. We were 2nd. We beat Man Utd. We took Man City close. We’ve had sell out crowds.

We’ve had another poor run admittedly and another shocking transfer window but I’d say he’s well in credit.

Know what? I’m looking forward to next season already :yes:

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So for all those who are using league position as the one and only deciding factor on progress 

-If we finish next season with LJ still at the helm but in a lower position than this

Is that regression  and would he need replacing ?

Number of factors, do we continue the trend of long winless runs, have we sustained injuries, what the performances are like. Then a case of where the lower finish is, say we finish this season 9th, 10th next season and I don't think there would be any great inquest as top 10 finish is a good season in general. 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So for all those who are using league position as the one and only deciding factor on progress 

-If we finish next season with LJ still at the helm but in a lower position than this

Nope.

Next.;)

Just now, hodge said:

Number of factors, do we continue the trend of long winless runs, have we sustained injuries, what the performances are like. Then a case of where the lower finish is, say we finish this season 9th, 10th next season and I don't think there would be any great inquest as top 10 finish is a good season in general. 

Agree - but judging by a similar number of factors and analysis I believe people arenover using our (albeit dropping) league position this year as clear evidence of progress that will continue 

Assuming we don’t have a miracle finish to the season and we will be in the Championship next season, LJ must show improvement again. Last season we had a bad run and nearly got relegated. This season our bad run hasn’t been as bad but ended our hopes of promotion. I don’t think he has enough credit in the bank to survive three really bad runs in consecutive seasons.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I would want to see progression form this season so league position would ultimately be the most important factor. But I guess if there was some freak season and we had a huge point total that was significantly more than this season and still missed out on the playoffs you might take that into consideration. But overall league place is the most important factor for deciding if you are progressing or not.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don’t think League position is the only factor - performances do count and we could potentially have more points but finish lower depending on how other teams do.

But I want to finish next season feeling we have moved closer to promotion than we are now. If we do not do that then you would have to question if LJ had taken us as far as he can.

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree - but judging by a similar number of factors and analysis I believe people arenover using our (albeit dropping) league position this year as clear evidence of progress that will continue 

League position is the #1 factor I'd say, even if we finish 11th there's only so many spaces where we can finish higher each season before we're in the play offs if we were to improve year on year. If we only finished 1 position higher than last season then its a different question.

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

Of course not but can you really see it,bobby will be off in the summer and do you trust lee to sign players good enough because I bloody don’t 

Frankly yes I do, the players we've brought in as 1st XI players have generally been successful, obviously you have your Diony's and O'Neil's but I look at our strikers as an example. LJ recruited Abraham who replaced Kodjia (yes Kodjia left after Tammy signed but was JK was being played out of position/on bench, and I mean replacing him in the starting XI). We've then replaced Tammy with Diedhiou and the conversion of Reid. Given we're not languishing at the bottom of the table more players could be inclined to move to us, I don't look at January as that's not truly indicative of a team's recruitment capability, we like to do our work in the summer by the looks of it where we've generally been good.  

He took over and we were in the do do. He kept us up, 'rebuilt' an inadequate squad, kept us up again, and we'll finish top half minimum with a brilliant cup run and national plaudits to go with it. Along with this, the rebuilt stadium and improvement in gates we are a much more attractive proposition for players, meaning further improvements can be made.

My doubt is this one thing; the fluctuations in form. I believe there are reasons for it this season but it is a bit of a pattern for LJ, here and elsewhere. However as I've said previously he certainly deserves the chance to learn from his mistakes this season, as he did from last season.

Archived