IGNORED

planning for the next slump

where's the joy

7 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I can't think of a single company that can legitimately blame its general staff for a downturn. 

The buck always stops with the management, even if they can't get their staff to perform. 

Accept responsibility for the poor performance of the company and deal with it with proper planning. 

That was certainly the case with some posters when Cotterill was manager.

Not so much now though..weird!

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I had my information from the media , not from OTIB . 

What Ashton is quoted as saying was misguided at best .

No need for spin Spudski it was blatant that the club weren't going to push for promotion but would keep a steady hand on the tiller and see what came of it .

I wouldn't want our club to go bust again, of course , but nobody can deny the fact that since the beginning of 2018 the results have been , let's be kind , disappointing.

I cannot help but feel that the club missed a great opportunity and worse still by absolving everyone of the responsibility of pushing for promotion we've gone backwards.

All my opinion, of course.

I believe the club, Mr Lansdown, play it too safe . Still it's his money and so I should shut my mouth and tow the line .

But without knowing what budget we had in January and what was available, or what circumstances there were, how can anyone say we 'missed an opportunity?'

We would only have missed an opportunity if money was available to cover all costs, now and in the future and that players were available and wanted to come here.

But we don't know that.

So without knowing, people are criticising based on an open bank account and players readily being available and wanting to come here.

It's such fine margins...

The way people are talking on here you'd think we were absolutely awful and fighting relegation.

Mention of 'hoof ball'...absolute rubbish.

Using Duric and Famara...getting the ball in the box, trying to change the dynamic etc. LJ did the right thing.

Whatever he does, unless we win...it's wrong on here.

So many people over react, and don't see the wood for the trees.

Too much time trying to find reasons, instead of looking at the whole picture.

Unfortunately some fans need to always blame someone or something.

It's been a culmination of many things which so much couldn't be helped.

There is no blame...no more than any other manager in this league.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Whilst there has been slumps with LJ...I don't think ours this season has anything to do with what LJ has been doing perse.

I look at the injuries we've had...many long term, illnesses...have said Patto looks like he has something wrong with him, and again last week he was away ill.

We've had so, so many injuries this season. So the squad effectively got smaller. Add to that players having to play more time to cover, then in turn getting tired and niggles and having to play through them.

That takes it's toll...it all adds up.

Then the players come back 'fit'....but not match fit, so have to play catch up.

That in turn makes things harder as a team...we struggle to get going, confidence gets hit...and it has a downward spiral, because the players will feel it and know it when playing on the pitch.

It's those fine margins that make a difference. We haven't been absolutely walloped apart from Villa...but imo, the culmination of all those facts, and then you add the coach trying to find a way to overcome that, like all managers it won't always work, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

It's no coincidence that we've taken a downturn since January...you only have to look at what's happened to the playing staff.

I'm not surprised by the results or performances tbh.

I am surprised we are still within 4 points of a play off place.

Even more so.....we are 9 points higher than the teams below us.

It really is a league of two halves this season it seems.

I then look at a team like Derby and all that they have been building over the past few years and see them struggling and put the whole thing into perspective and realise we really aren't in that bad a position overall.

I think we will build next season again.

I wish that I could be as optimistic as you are. Using accountancy practices to foretell the future, I would only be able to predict gloom and doom. So I'll just wait and see. 

48 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And whose fault is that  ?

Rather than blame individuals, maybe it’s just circumstance. 

It’s no coincidence that 2 (that spring to mind) key players that have had a big impact since arriving in January,( Mitrovic, Grabban) were signed by clubs that have parachute payments in the bank. 

Who else could we have possibly competed for..? Jerome at Derby? Wilson at Sheffield United..? 

There weren’t an abundance of top players flocking to the Championship. 

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I had my information from the media , not from OTIB . 

What Ashton is quoted as saying was misguided at best .

No need for spin Spudski it was blatant that the club weren't going to push for promotion but would keep a steady hand on the tiller and see what came of it .

I wouldn't want our club to go bust again, of course , but nobody can deny the fact that since the beginning of 2018 the results have been , let's be kind , disappointing.

I cannot help but feel that the club missed a great opportunity and worse still by absolving everyone of the responsibility of pushing for promotion we've gone backwards.

All my opinion, of course.

I believe the club, Mr Lansdown, play it too safe . Still it's his money and so I should shut my mouth and tow the line .

The first half of the season saw us P23 W12 D8 L3 Pts44. Part two: P20 W5 D6 L9 Pts21.

I recall, from postings here, that MA said that City aren't chasing  promotion. Inferring that we weren't going to throw millions at a short term objective. Mind you, that was a misnomer, because the majority of our fans knew the club had no intention of doing so.

However, considering the club's ramblings about recruiting players with the right DNA, our four loanees this campaign have failed miserably. Diony was an absolute joke and Christ knows what effect his signing has had on the players.

Never mind. "We underachieve. We underachieve. We're Bristol City we underachieve!"

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

It might be something as simple as the players burning out near the end of the season. We start brilliantly, injuries happen, and players start to make mistakes. We go on a huge dip, and rescue it right at the end.

The easy solution to this is to make a real effort at boosting the squad in January. If LJ can improve our position at the start of next season to allow us to sit in the automatic spots by January, then I think Lansdown should back LJ fully by providing some players to pick up the slack and continue a push towards promotion.

I don't share the doom and gloom of a lot of people on here, but I do think the LJ has made a rod for his own back by displaying both repeated success in the league (for a short time) and a memorable cup run. While I don't necessarily think he's a great manager, I think that investment matters more than coaching, and we'll see how we'll do next season based on how Lansdown backs him.

If it was your own money, would you be willing to back LJ in the transfer market? I wouldn't! 

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If it was your own money, would you be willing to back LJ in the transfer market? I wouldn't! 

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Baker, Brownhill, O'Dowda, Diedhiou, Wright, Pisano, Taylor...

That's just splitting hairs DP! :) 

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

But without knowing what budget we had in January and what was available, or what circumstances there were, how can anyone say we 'missed an opportunity?'

We would only have missed an opportunity if money was available to cover all costs, now and in the future and that players were available and wanted to come here.

But we don't know that.

So without knowing, people are criticising based on an open bank account and players readily being available and wanting to come here.

It's such fine margins...

The way people are talking on here you'd think we were absolutely awful and fighting relegation.

Mention of 'hoof ball'...absolute rubbish.

Using Duric and Famara...getting the ball in the box, trying to change the dynamic etc. LJ did the right thing.

Whatever he does, unless we win...it's wrong on here.

So many people over react, and don't see the wood for the trees.

Too much time trying to find reasons, instead of looking at the whole picture.

Unfortunately some fans need to always blame someone or something.

It's been a culmination of many things which so much couldn't be helped.

There is no blame...no more than any other manager in this league.

Putting aside your good point that we don't know what our January budget was , we do know that it was wasted .

I am not only talking about new player recruitment but also the drive and desire to kick on which went missing in January and hasn't been found since .

So many ifs, buts and maybes. Like every season and like life in general.

As @spudski rightly points out, we didn't continue our for for a multitude of unknown reasons. Which we, the humble supporter do not know. Who has what niggle and what illness we have no idea.

As others point out, our loan signings were poor this year, but last year they weren't (anybody remember Tammy?)

And I think others ( @Major Isewater) have changed their medication :fear:.

I've criticised Lansdown before. He still hasn't quite got it right has he. But, the overall trajectory of the club is upwards (league position, facilities, youth set up, training ground). And the first half of the season showed what we are capable of with this group of players. We need strength in depth in a few positions. I think we'll recruit in the summer. I expect five new faces coming in. If 2-3 key players leave, then we will recruit to replace those - maybe as many as 8 coming in. About half should be able to walk into the first team, the others for the future. And by the way, Johnson does not do recruitment at this club alone, their is a team doing it.

I do think Johnson needs some help at somepoint from wise old heads in the game - we can't ignore the Johnson slumps. We know they're coming and we also know that they're 3 months long. I wonder if he can engineer one from June to September :clapping:

2 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

As @spudski rightly points out, we didn't continue our for for a multitude of unknown reasons. Which we, the humble supporter do not know. Who has what niggle and what illness we have no idea.

As others point out, our loan signings were poor this year, but last year they weren't (anybody remember Tammy?)

I've criticised Lansdown before. He still hasn't quite got it right has he. But, the overall trajectory of the club is upwards (league position, facilities, youth set up, training ground). And the first half of the season showed what we are capable of with this group of players. We need strength in depth in a few positions. I think we'll recruit in the summer. I expect five new faces coming in. If 2-3 key players leave, then we will recruit to replace those - maybe as many as 8 coming in. About half should be able to walk into the first team, the others for the future. And by the way, Johnson does not do recruitment at this club alone, their is a team doing it.

I do think Johnson needs some help at somepoint from wise old heads in the game - we can't ignore the Johnson slumps. We know they're coming and we also know that they're 3 months long. I wonder if he can engineer one from June to September :clapping:

Well. They are getting later in the year......

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Putting aside your good point that we don't know what our January budget was , we do know that it was wasted .

I am not only talking about new player recruitment but also the drive and desire to kick on which went missing in January and hasn't been found since .

The main problem I would have with January- and this is with the benefit of considerable hindsight which I accept so I give it a mixed review.

• Walsh- For the future, but perhaps should have been utilised more. I think he may well prove to be a good signing.
  • Kent- Yes he's plummeted to nothing, but 2 assists in his first 5 games is not a bad ratio, quick boost, maybe to keep it going until better players returned. Unfortunately, this was a false dawn and proved a mistake in hindsight.
  • Diony- Undoubtedly the flop of all flops, seems in not too good a place post St Etienne too. I recall a relatively early tweet someone posted on here , translated from French that used the term 'black hole'. He clearly had quality last year, 11 goals and 8 assists, we had tracked him and he had, on paper some good attributes. I suspect the club hoped we would get the Dijon version, not the St Etienne one.

That said. Maybe we should have taken a bigger push in January- put Wlash and Kent, then accept Diony well out of form and confidence, and go all in for one out of Afobe, Grabban or Mitrovic. Even if Afobe always likely to return to Wolves once their interest known, Grabban or Mitrovic 6 month loan that unrealistic, that unviable?

4 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

That's apparently the case, a team comes up with the names and does background checks etc. but it is LJ himself who has the final 'yes' or 'no' say on all of them.

He's said as much himself so if we're going to credit LJ with successful signings he must take much of the responsibility when they fail.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Earlier this year Michael McIndoe posted some interesting comments about our slump.

He commented that the quick temp high pressing game we adopted put great strain on players physically and mentally. He commented that we had been hit hard by injuries to key players before Christmas, and this put extra pressure on the remaining playing staff , causing some players to keep playing even though they were not fully fit. The knock on to this was that the pressing game became tougher to maintain.

MM also commented that Man City  could sustain a similar playing style because they had the financial resource to not only buy the best technical players but those with the best fitness and stamina. We are not at their level so perhaps the physical stress of our playing style, allied to the crippling injury list  caused the bubble to burst. 

Yesterday I listened to a discussion on Talksport about Man City's title win. The presenter asked about Liverpool being able to counter Man C and whether Pep needs to look at a plan B. Danny Murphy replied that Pep didn;t have a plan B at Barca and would;t need one at Citee as he focussed solely on getting play A absolutely right. Pep has been playing this way for years, and with some of the very best players in the world. We have been doing so for just under one season, and with a group of players adapting to a system they probably haven't played before.

In the first half of the season we saw some of the best and most effective football we've had for many a season, so i for one hope we continue to work with a quick tempo pressing game. We are not Man City though, so might have to compromise bit more than them. Does our training and fitness regime need to change to enable us to maintain a pressing game through the season? Will there need to be changes to the squad if some of the current players do not have the right fitness and stamina to see through the season.? Will some of the younger players come into the reckoning as did O'Dowda and Brownhill this season and fit into this style of play?

The other major difference between us and Pep's City is that we will need a plan B, but I think it needs to be more, and better than just hoofing the ball forward to a couple of big strikers. LJ asked for AG pitch to be narrowed to make the pressing game easier to manage, but perhaps our plan B should be to play with more width - we have players like O'Dowda and Elliason capable of giving width and strikers like Fammy and Duric have shown their ability in the air and getting on the end of crosses. 

Excellent post. A point I made about City in Feb was that signings were moving the focus of Citys football instead of refining and improving it. The negative results were the consequence. 

Playing with more width was a point I also made. Overloads and looking at how to move the ball quicker by looking at players technical ability was another. That is not abandoning our football it is refining elements.

Hoofing it has unfortunately become part of Bristol City's football. 

21 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So top ten in the league, beating Man Utd and getting to the semifinal of a major cup competition is underachievement?

Yes; if every climb to the top of the mountain means throwing ourselves off the other side.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

For some that keep trotting out 

‘We are not privy to the reasons , it could be all sorts of things’

they don’t half suggest a lot of reasons to excuse it or excuse those in key positions

Why does it have to be seen as an 'excuse' BBSB?

We had an in depth interview with out physio about our ongoing injury problems this season. The worst he has ever seen.

That's not an 'excuse'...it's a fact.

The knock effects from that are what we've witnessed. Spoken about in posts above.

That's not an excuse...it's what's happened. A cause and effect.

Do you honestly believe we would have had such a drop in form like we have had, if we had more prominent squad members to have selected from, throughout the season?

We showed great promise up to January...it's easy to see why it all caught up with us.

Why does there have to be a 'reason' other than that. Why does it have to be someone's fault? Why do we have to blame recruitment when we don't know the budgets etc?

Why?

Is it not the most likely reason we've had a drop in form because of all that's been spoken about on this thread....the obvious?

And yes...certain players haven't worked out...but name one club where they do?

Name one coach that doesn't make mistakes?

Why does it have to be someone's fault?

I just don't get it.

Frustration and disappointment I get...but the constant looking for someone to blame...I don't.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

We had an in depth interview with out physio about our ongoing injury problems this season. The worst he has ever seen.

The knock effects from that are what we've witnessed. Spoken about in posts above.

Do you honestly believe we would have had such a drop in form like we have had, if we had more prominent squad members to have selected from, throughout the season?

We showed great promise up to January...it's easy to see why it all caught up with us.

Why does there have to be a 'reason' other than that. Why does it have to be someone's fault? Why do we have to blame recruitment when we don't know the budgets etc?

Why?

Is it not the most likely reason we've had a drop in form because of all that's been spoken about on this thread....the obvious?

I just don't get it.

Frustration and disappointment I get...but the constant looking for someone to blame...I don't.

Logical, realistic and in no way trying to scapegoat anyone at the club for the 2nd half of the seasons failings.

Couldn't agree more.

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

Why?

I just don't get it.

What you are posting about are simple challenges. Normal challenges. 

I pointed out to yourself that Mr Johnsons recruitment did not meet the team's style months ago. You agreed. Mr Johnson chose to work away from a style of football that was successful, eye catching ... You agreed with that as well. Right there is culpability. The negative results are part of that. A predicted logical conclusion due to too much change again. Unnecessary again. 

Been here before last season. You took a similar view i took the contrary one that change like this is not accidental. 

Bristol City goes from a team that plays to feet to one that plays to feet, to one that mixes it up and then to one whose football is a desperate chuck shit up the pitch to two big blokes in hope. Each week change now. It is not a settled team, shape or tactics. That is not accidental either. Its not luck or chance.

Lot of guff spoken about identity and dna the project. On the pitch it is not evident what Bristol City playing identity is now after a couple of years and twenty plus signings, millions spent ... The team is reflection of the Managers / Coaches ideas.  Its style of play is also that reflection ... That is Mr Johnsons responsibility .. 

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

What you are posting about are simple challenges. Normal challenges. 

I pointed out to yourself that Mr Johnsons recruitment did not meet the team's style months ago. You agreed. Mr Johnson chose to work away from a style of football that was successful, eye catching ... You agreed with that as well. Right there is culpability. The negative results are part of that. A predicted logical conclusion due to too much change again. Unnecessary again. 

Been here before last season. You took a similar view i took the contrary one that change like this is not accidental. 

Bristol City goes from a team that plays to feet to one that plays to feet, to one that mixes it up and then to one whose football is a desperate chuck shit up the pitch to two big blokes in hope. Each week change now. It is not a settled team, shape or tactics. That is not accidental either. Its not luck or chance.

Lot of guff spoken about identity and dna the project. Right at the top on the pitch it is not evident what Bristol City playing identity is after a couple of years and twenty plus signings, million spent ... The team is reflection of the Mangers / Coaches ideas.  Its style of play is also that reflection ... That is Mr Johnsons responsibility .. 

It's not a simple or normal challenge to have so many injuries.

As for recruitment...have you ever thought that LJ is bringing in players to cover all bases and scenarios...plans B and C etc that so many want to see.

Perhaps he's had to go with who's fittest and on form, and use tactics best suited to those individuals.

I'm sure LJ would love to play the beautiful football we did at the beginning of the season.

But we haven't...for the obvious reasons stated above.

I don't think he's chosen to go away from what we've done best in the past, but that he's had to because of injuries and such.

Making the best of what we had available, on form, and more importantly fit.

5 hours ago, where's the joy said:

the best bit of planning for next season the directors could address is how to break out of the 'LJ slump' 

you can bet we will have at least one next season based on past experience and they do tend to last for extended periods

do we bring in a temporary extra coach, do we make LJ drive the coach, do we ask LJ to stop coaching altogether until the slump is over?

these are the vital questions for the board to ponder.

we loved the good times and being in 2nd place in december 2017

but that sense of impending doom will dampen our hopes for next year without a plan to bounce out of any slump. so lets be 'aving you. 

You really need to try and get some happy tablets

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's not a simple or normal challenge to have so many injuries.

As for recruitment...have you ever thought that LJ is bringing in players to cover all bases and scenarios...plans B and C etc that so many want to see.

Perhaps he's had to go with who's fittest and on form, and use tactics best suited to those individuals.

I'm sure LJ would love to play the beautiful football we did at the beginning of the season.

But we haven't...for the obvious reasons stated above.

I don't think he's chosen to go away from what we've done best in the past, but that he's had to because of injuries and such.

Making the best of what we had available, on form, and more importantly fit.

Its all normal.

I don't think he's chosen to go away from what we've done best in the past, but that he's had to because of injuries and such ... Sorry that is complete rubbish. You said it yourself that players were being brought in to offer alternatives and would not meet the style of the team. You were right. 100% bang on. They have not.

Mr Johnson should be bringing in players to cover what they are. What his identity is.

As for recruitment...have you ever thought that LJ is bringing in players to cover all bases and scenarios...plans B and C etc that so many want to see. ... Exactly.  Mr Johnson chose to do different. 

8 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Its all normal.

I don't think he's chosen to go away from what we've done best in the past, but that he's had to because of injuries and such ... Sorry that is complete rubbish. You said it yourself that players were being brought in to offer alternatives and would not meet the style of the team. You were right. 100% bang on. They have not.

Mr Johnson should be bringing in players to cover what they are. What his identity is.

As for recruitment...have you ever thought that LJ is bringing in players to cover all bases and scenarios...plans B and C etc that so many want to see. ... Exactly.  Mr Johnson chose to do different. 

So when our physio comes out with an indepth video and say's our injuries are the worst he's ever seen in 30 odd years....you consider that normal?

We'll have to agree to disagree on that.

Yes...players have been brought in to offer different options...giving many clubs in the bag and alternatives for different game and scenario's.

He went with the 'Clubs in the bag' that were fit etc.

Why would you bring in players to cover what you already have long term? Maybe what you suggest wasn't available in January. Maybe he did look to cover but nothing was on that we could afford or wanted to come here on loan.

Saying 'he should do this...he should do that'...is all when and good, but useless when we don't know the facts. It's not like shopping in Waitrose.

As for being different...As a manager, you don't fill a squad with all the same type of players. You need alternatives. That's a basic.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

So when our physio comes out with an indepth video and say's our injuries are the worst he's ever seen in 30 odd years....you consider that normal?

Yes...players have been brought in to offer different options...giving many clubs in the bag and alternatives for different game and scenario's.

Why would you bring in players to cover what you already have long term? Maybe what you suggest wasn't available in January. Maybe he did look to cover but nothing was on that we could afford or wanted to come here on loan.

Saying 'he should do this...he should do that'...is all when and good, but useless when we don't know the facts. It's not like shopping in Waitrose.

As for being different...As a manager, you don't fill a squad with all the same type of players. You need alternatives. That's a basic.

Simple challenges everybody has them.

Cardiff have challenges ... Do not like the football (at all) but look at Mr Warnock. Weird eyebrows, panto villain but stays true to what he believes in. Little slump changed it a bit from 4-4-3 to 4-2- 3-1and back but its method is the same - Play vertically forward quickly into the final third without dwelling on the ball much and play the football there. He does not go we need B for Barcelona and C ... No he recruited and stuck to that football, his identity eyebrows and all.

Fulham? Wolves? Both stick to what they are. Mr Johnson twists ...  

Alternatives are not abandoning this identity Mr Johnson purports to have.

Why would you bring in players to cover what you already have long term? I think that may be a joke?? Players lose form , get injured, age .. The game has challenges which necessitates having a squad. That is a basic basic. 

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Excellent post. A point I made about City in Feb was that signings were moving the focus of Citys football instead of refining and improving it. The negative results were the consequence. 

Playing with more width was a point I also made. Overloads and looking at how to move the ball quicker by looking at players technical ability was another. That is not abandoning our football it is refining elements.

Hoofing it has unfortunately become part of Bristol City's football. 

I don't think this is what LJ coaches but it is the go to way of playing for players under pressure or where they are short on confidence.

We have reverted to hoofball  all too many times  over recent years - usually when we are under pressure and players are short on confidence, because we have been in relegation scraps - so don't think this is a LJ phenomenon. 

16 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Simple challenges everybody has them.

Cardiff have challenges ... Do not like the football (at all) but look at Mr Warnock. Weird eyebrows, panto villain but stays true to what he believes in. Little slump changed it a bit from 4-4-3 to 4-2- 3-1and back but its method is the same - Play vertically forward quickly into the final third without dwelling on the ball much and play the football there. He does not go we need B for Barcelona and C ... No he recruited and stuck to that football, his identity eyebrows and all.

Fulham? Wolves? Both stick to what they are. Mr Johnson twists ...  

Alternatives are not abandoning this identity Mr Johnson purports to have.

Why would you bring in players to cover what you already have long term? I think that may be a joke?? Players lose form , get injured, age .. The game has challenges which necessitates having a squad. That is a basic basic. 

You're making it sound like an xbox game fella...not sure if you are on a wind u now.

You slate LJ for 'hoofing it' up to Famara nd Duric....yet glorify Warnock for doing the same. Duric and Famara have all the attributes to play a different way, and others playing off of them.

I've explained why LJ most likely 'twisted' out of necessity.

Have Wolves and Fulham had the injury list like ours? Perhaps if they did, they would be forced to change.

Your last paragraph doesn't make sense. We have a squad...but it was depleted by injury.

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

Every team has its injuries and I don’t think you can say that ours have been massively worse than anyone else’s? O’Dowda has been the main one and Fammy for a while from the team that was doing so well pre Xmas. Pisano as well.   Our squad though and also the funds that we spent on bringing cover during January should’ve been able to cover it off. But we tried the cheap option in Diony for Famy and Djuric and the player who had a reputation but who hadn’t pulled up trees anywhere in Kent for O’Dowda. And we chose not to bring a right back in at all. The management needs to accept responsibility for those decisions imho and we should have been able to cover it. Can’t see injuries being the main reason. 

Archived