IGNORED

Jonny Smith

Port Said Red

Thanks to @Garycpos for bringing this up on the loan watch thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. Great stuff from Jonny Smith, as I said in another thread the other day, these sort of performances would be getting our scouts interest if he wasn't already our player.

Jonny Smith Voted New Player of the Year by AFC Fylde Supporters ....

10 Goals & 9 Assists so far, click on the link below ..... :clapping::clap:

Jonny Smith New Player of the Year for AFC Fylde

Jonny large.jpg

I'm delighted he's done so well. That said he did come with quite a reputation and iirc with the label of the " new Gareth Bale"  - like he needed that!

Its refreshing to see another City youngster developing well in men's football and with Tinnion keeping tabs on all of them LJ will know exactly how well he's maturing as a footballer.

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Good to hear, and no offence meant, But how close is he to representing City?

I don't know, how long did it take Jamie Vardy to get league games once he had been snapped up? One thing he has in his favour is pace, which is something that can be effective at any level. As we know it's something we lack in this side.

19 minutes ago, phantom said:

Good to hear, and no offence meant, But how close is he to representing City?

Only LJ will know that - based in Tinnions assessment of Smith. Could be LJ has watched him as well. 

I think he has more to his game than pace tho - like Gareth Bale.............:cool2:

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Cheltenham, probably..

He already had a very brief spell there and didn't get many opportunities. He has now had a full season of men's football so hopefully but I would much prefer Plymouth instead in L1 of course. 

6 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

He already had a very brief spell there and didn't get many opportunities. He has now had a full season of men's football so hopefully but I would much prefer Plymouth instead in L1 of course. 

If Plymouth do come up then Exeter could become the new Plymouth as far as our loans are concerned. 

9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If Plymouth do come up then Exeter could become the new Plymouth as far as our loans are concerned. 

Less mileage on expenses for Tins as well!

Hell, give us a few quid, City and I'll do it 

Unfortunately I couldn’t make it back for Saturday’s game. Or is the fortunately? 

Anyway, for my sins Fylde are my nearest club so I wandered up there on Saturday.  I’ve never watched them before as I get to most of our games. 

So, Smith looked good, one of Fylde’s best players.... but that really isn’t saying much... really really poor quality football.  He looked good but not outstanding  and to be honest I think you need to be outstanding at that level to make it in the Championship.  Hopefully I’m wrong but there’s a fair bit of development before he’ll be near our first team.  

O’Leary played for Solihull and looked strong and commanding... for a young keeper, in men’s football that’s impressive and I’ve a feeling he’s got a real chance of making it.  

Anyway..... we will see! 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Only LJ will know that - based in Tinnions assessment of Smith. Could be LJ has watched him as well. 

I think he has more to his game than pace tho - like Gareth Bale.............:cool2:

He's a Ryan Kent but with end product 

1 hour ago, Mendip City said:

Unfortunately I couldn’t make it back for Saturday’s game. Or is the fortunately? 

Anyway, for my sins Fylde are my nearest club so I wandered up there on Saturday.  I’ve never watched them before as I get to most of our games. 

So, Smith looked good, one of Fylde’s best players.... but that really isn’t saying much... really really poor quality football.  He looked good but not outstanding  and to be honest I think you need to be outstanding at that level to make it in the Championship.  Hopefully I’m wrong but there’s a fair bit of development before he’ll be near our first team.  

O’Leary played for Solihull and looked strong and commanding... for a young keeper, in men’s football that’s impressive and I’ve a feeling he’s got a real chance of making it.  

Anyway..... we will see! 

I was there at the game also, with a terrible first half and a far better second half. Jonny made the cross that Andy Bond scored from for Fylde, and then 10 minutes later his shot was cleared off the line by a Max O Leary leg and a defenders head that that got in the way. Max done really well and was Solihulls man of the match and to be fair Jonny has been a regular man of the match for Fylde, and at 20 yrs old playing in the Conference which is just as good as 75% of the teams in L2 he is making really good progress with the benefit of pace and also being left footed.

Do I think he could make the step up again.... Obviously ... but then I am biased .... :cool: He has come on significantly from last year and could be knocking on the door or very close too it .... we will see... :P

2 minutes ago, Garycpos said:

I was there at the game also, with a terrible first half and a far better second half. Jonny made the cross that Andy Bond scored from for Fylde, and then 10 minutes later his shot was cleared off the line by a Max O Leary leg and a defenders head that that got in the way. Max done really well and was Solihulls man of the match and to be fair Jonny has been a regular man of the match for Fylde, and at 20 yrs old playing in the Conference which is just as good as 75% of the teams in L2 he is making really good progress with the benefit of pace and also being left footed.

Do I think he could make the step up again.... Obviously ... but then I am biased .... :cool: He has come on significantly from last year and could be knocking on the door or very close too it .... we will see... :P

Just hope he gets a fair crack at it. Get back fit and have a strong summer. I’d much rather JS have a go than bringing in another Kent. Smith, Morrell, Vyner, Kelly, McCoulskey, Hinds, O’Leary, Dowling, Andrews and Moore. These should be the players pushing the starting XI. Not always realistic but at the moment too many older fringe players ahead of them. Hegeler, GON, Woodrow, Kent, Diony, and maybe even one or two like Pisano or Wright not good enough for starting the majority but taking minutes from the younger ones. 

Not wishing to doubt this achievement but can someone explain what this award is? 

New Player of the Year. 

So this isn’t Player of the Year or even Young Player of the Year. Is it just for players who are new to their club? If so, who’s he been up against? Were there many ‘new’ players he was competing with for this or was there only a couple? 

Like I said, not wishing to do down the award, but what’s the frame of reference? It could be the equivalent of saying Pisano has been our best ‘new’ player. 

Archived