IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Bosman, in its current guise, wasn't around then. There was certainly a story behind it though. Bit before my time, I'm sure someone will know for sure

Moved under freedom of contract (the first player to do so) we got compensation of £325k.

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Thanks for the correction Graham - memory not what it used to be!

I know it was Collier's transfer to Coventry that prompted Dicks to give the AG8 10 year contracts, and my immediate thought/recollection was that he had moved for nothing under a Bosman. There was something about his transfer - was it that he went for well below his "true' market value because he would have gone for nothing at the end of his contract?

There was no facility prior to this for a player to leave a club (even when out of contract) unless the club formally released him.

Collier became the first player to reject a contract offer and move clubs, but because this was many years prior to Bosman the owning club were still compensated.

Collier’s value was set by a tribunal with both sides given the opportunity to set out their case.

Just now, GrahamC said:

There was no facility prior to this for a player to leave a club (even when out of contract) unless the club formally released him.

Collier became the first player to reject a contract offer and move clubs, but because this was many years prior to Bosman the owning club were still compensated.

Collier’s value was set by a tribunal with both sides given the opportunity to set out their case.

Thanks for the memory trigger Graham. I knew there was a "first" tied with Collier's transfer and my initial thought was Bosman and that the went for nothing.

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Very fit!

I'll be on Noggers' Christmas Card list after today.

V

You could spare a thought for those who view this forum in work who could do without such images on screen though! 

12 hours ago, downendcity said:

Thanks for the correction Graham - memory not what it used to be!

I know it was Collier's transfer to Coventry that prompted Dicks to give the AG8 10 year contracts, and my immediate thought/recollection was that he had moved for nothing under a Bosman. There was something about his transfer - was it that he went for well below his "true' market value because he would have gone for nothing at the end of his contract?

Certainly rumours of Whitehead being given a 10 year contract (leading to a song which Blackpool fans would recognise of where he could 'stick it' when things started going wrong iirc.) but he was the only one as far as I remember.

No way the likes of Aitken and Marshall would be so highly prized, and several of the others were already too old to be awarded such lengthy contracts.

12 hours ago, downendcity said:

Very fit!

I'll be on Noggers' Christmas Card list after today.

1414117190_ola09_36_09.jpg.8e07317e8793c135ba65fe5e6a41850e.jpgV

I receive fewer Christmas cards every year (:crying:) so I trust I'm on yours dc. Especially if Ola is your cover of choice this year - she'd be a particularly welcome addition to my Yuletide mantlepiece. :yes:

50 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I receive fewer Christmas cards every year (:crying:) so I trust I'm on yours dc. Especially if Ola is your cover of choice this year - she'd be a particularly welcome addition to my Yuletide mantlepiece. :yes:

Wouldn't the settee be more comfortable than a mantelpiece?

19 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Iirc @RedM mentioned that she’d heard JB had wanted out in Jan and was not happy that he wasn’t allowed to go

(Please correct me M  I’ve misquoted you :thumbsup:)

Sorry for the late reply, had a busy day yesterday. What I was told I guess around Feb/March time was that Joe ‘wasn’t happy’ and that he ‘wanted Premiership’ football. Like I said it was quite a few months ago. The person that told me would know. Another person who seems to know a lot about quite a few players but I don’t know well  mentioned he was blocked but compared to my original info I don’t know how credible this is, but they also said towards the end of the season Joe was more inclined to stay. So who knows!

The info given on Bobby Reid effectively resigning at HT of the Brentford match is what I heard ‘friend of a friend style’ though. He is alledged to have announced to all the dressing room that ‘no way am I signing the contract now’. All the players after HT then walked out in silence when there is usually lots of high fiving and motivational stuff shouted out. 

42 minutes ago, RedM said:

Sorry for the late reply, had a busy day yesterday. What I was told I guess around Feb/March time was that Joe ‘wasn’t happy’ and that he ‘wanted Premiership’ football. Like I said it was quite a few months ago. The person that told me would know. Another person who seems to know a lot about quite a few players but I don’t know well  mentioned he was blocked but compared to my original info I don’t know how credible this is, but they also said towards the end of the season Joe was more inclined to stay. So who knows!

The info given on Bobby Reid effectively resigning at HT of the Brentford match is what I heard ‘friend of a friend style’ though. He is alledged to have announced to all the dressing room that ‘no way am I signing the contract now’. All the players after HT then walked out in silence when there is usually lots of high fiving and motivational stuff shouted out. 

That's interesting. Didn't have him down as the type to do that sort of thing. What was the context regarding the game? Wasn't there, but weren't we totally outplayed?

I don't give a rats arse whether this player had a bust up with that player or that coach one little bit; they are paid ridiculous sums of money to do a job and 20,000 fans have paid a heck of a lot more than that to see them to do it.

If a player throws the children's toys out of the bath water at half time, if these stories are true, good riddance to the stupid spoilt tiny brains.

As for Joe Bryan 'downing tools' soon after the new year because he wanted Premier league football; this sounds about as implausible as one could imagine given that within his and others' grasp premier league football was staring them in the face. Should that be true then he is a far lesser man and brain that i would ever have imagined but I am certainly not going to think ill of these players in this context because we simply have no facts and no evidence and never will. 

The collapse will likely forever be a mystery to us all.

20 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's interesting. Didn't have him down as the type to do that sort of thing. What was the context regarding the game? Wasn't there, but weren't we totally outplayed?

Awful game. Easter Monday I think (?),  after returning from the Millwall game where we were almost as bad. I was told this about 2 weeks after the game. I think I remember watching the 2nd half and we were really flat, of course I didn’t know what had gone on at that time,  IF it did and as I said it was a ‘friend off a friend’ info, so at least third hand. Could be gossip but I’ve no reason to think it so. I think I knew then we had chucked any playoff hopes away. 

Maybe I’m reading too much into this but when people a few weeks later were begging Bobby to sign the deal I thought he looked very uncomfortable at the golden boot end of season presentation,  in his head he had already left us weeks before ( IF true).

Like I said lots of third hand info, but interesting other people are saying similar.

16 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I don't give a rats arse whether this player had a bust up with that player or that coach one little bit; they are paid ridiculous sums of money to do a job and 20,000 fans have paid a heck of a lot more than that to see them to do it.

If a player throws the children's toys out of the bath water at half time, if these stories are true, good riddance to the stupid spoilt tiny brains.

As for Joe Bryan 'downing tools' soon after the new year because he wanted Premier league football; this sounds about as implausible as one could imagine given that within his and others' grasp premier league football was staring them in the face. Should that be true then he is a far lesser man and brain that i would ever have imagined but I am certainly not going to think ill of these players in this context because we simply have no facts and no evidence and never will. 

Just wanted to be clear, I’m not suggesting at all that  Joe downed tools and wouldn’t play. He’s a sensible lad and maybe it just dawned on him that the chances of reaching his dream possibly wouldn’t be with his current team. 

37 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Spot on. I don’t particularly enjoy my job but I get paid to do it so I do it to the best of my ability. Now I am not saying if you aren't happy stay and make the best but you act professionally. Brentford at HT could be the last straw but you don’t throw a fit about it. You quietly go about your business and speak to the club anout yout intentions. 

What really grinds me is that the club have progressed for 4-5 seasons in a row now and we have people(alledgedly) acting like this. Especially as both players in question have grown under LJ at Bristol City for a couple seasons now. Fair enough if you want to go but see out the season first. You know the one where the club had its highest finish in 10 years plus a cup semi final and dismantling multiple premier league clubs along the way. 

25 minutes ago, RedM said:

Just wanted to be clear, I’m not suggesting at all that  Joe downed tools and wouldn’t play. He’s a sensible lad and maybe it just dawned on him that the chances of reaching his dream possibly wouldn’t be with his current team. 

Which is fine but you can’t let that effect your performances and I think it did. Which led to more players to hang their heads too. Be professional about it. Probably not the easiest thing to do but with the amount they are paid they owe more to us(the fans) than what they showed. If any of these stories are true(and we will never know for sure) then I am happy the club sold(or considering to). It is not fair to us or the rest of the lads in that dressing room. Everyone was disappointed but the league is not easy and once there was sign of some struggle they collapsed. Needed our local boys to step up and lead. 

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Spot on. I don’t particularly enjoy my job but I get paid to do it so I do it to the best of my ability. Now I am not saying if you aren't happy stay and make the best but you act professionally. Brentford at HT could be the last straw but you don’t throw a fit about it. You quietly go about your business and speak to the club anout yout intentions. 

What really grinds me is that the club have progressed for 4-5 seasons in a row now and we have people(alledgedly) acting like this. Especially as both players in question have grown under LJ at Bristol City for a couple seasons now. Fair enough if you want to go but see out the season first. You know the one where the club had its highest finish in 10 years plus a cup semi final and dismantling multiple premier league clubs along the way. 

Which is fine but you can’t let that effect your performances and I think it did. Which led to more players to hang their heads too. Be professional about it. Probably not the easiest thing to do but with the amount they are paid they owe more to us(the fans) than what they showed. If any of these stories are true(and we will never know for sure) then I am happy the club sold(or considering to). It is not fair to us or the rest of the lads in that dressing room. Everyone was disappointed but the league is not easy and once there was sign of some struggle they collapsed. Needed our local boys to step up and lead. 

I agree Joe and if anything mentioned in this thread is true, and as mentioned above, we will never truly know, it is disappointing.

That said, my theory on our collapse from January is that the existing squad, at that time, knew they needed help to get over the line - the club did not deliver on that and heads dropped.

If correct, not professional and not acceptable, but understandable.

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I agree Joe and if anything mentioned in this thread is true, and as mentioned above, we will never truly know, it is disappointing.

That said, my theory on our collapse from January is that the existing squad, at that time, knew they needed help to get over the line - the club did not deliver on that and heads dropped.

If correct, not professional and not acceptable, but understandable.

Would be understandable but I am surprised there wasn’t a real initial “bounce.” On paper we did not make horrible signings(they were both having awful seasons but had very good seasons the year before). We don’t see things in training or how they are getting along in the dressing room either.

I know it is another hope lessons were learned scenario but I can see that being the case going forward. Think we would not sway from Walsh like signings but imagine we will do more research on targets in January from now on. Should have been more professional last January but it is a young team and young coaching and managing staff. Feel like it is coming together more everyday. Still big pressure on a decent start this season and an expectation to turn around bad form. Don’t think we have ever been better equipped though so I am optimistic. 

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

It will certainly remain a mystery until someone breaks ranks after finishing their football career.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Was there any reason given? Sorry, I'm a bit late to the thread. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

You say that, but in the last decade we've gone from surprise Championship contenders, to relegation fodder, to League 1, and back up to mid-table in the Championship. We've progressed in recent years, but we've also regressed over time.

The harsh fact is that the club has talked about Premier League football, but we're just not good enough. We haven't got the money to get the best players, and while we've done well with what we have, there are probably 6-10 teams with a stronger argument for promotion than us.

Going back to Joe Bryan, if you worked at a company that had suffered setbacks over the past few years, made redundancies, but had built itself back up despite paying lower wages than others, you would not be blamed to handing in your notice. You've done your time, the employer loves you, and now you want to take that experience elsewhere to earn some more money.

15 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Was there any reason given? Sorry, I'm a bit late to the thread. 

That was the exact quote I had, nothing more only that the players walked out in silence, heads down looking at the floor, no eye contact with eachother or anyone else. I know it wrong to assume, but I assumed it was because we were so shambolic in the first half, lacklustre, passes not finding players and as I said close on the heels of a  performance of being bullied by Millwall and offering no resistance. 

22 minutes ago, RedM said:

That was the exact quote I had, nothing more only that the players walked out in silence, heads down looking at the floor, no eye contact with eachother or anyone else. I know it wrong to assume, but I assumed it was because we were so shambolic in the first half, lacklustre, passes not finding players and as I said close on the heels of a  performance of being bullied by Millwall and offering no resistance. 

When the going gets tough, the tough give up.

56 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

You say that, but in the last decade we've gone from surprise Championship contenders, to relegation fodder, to League 1, and back up to mid-table in the Championship. We've progressed in recent years, but we've also regressed over time.

The harsh fact is that the club has talked about Premier League football, but we're just not good enough. We haven't got the money to get the best players, and while we've done well with what we have, there are probably 6-10 teams with a stronger argument for promotion than us.

Going back to Joe Bryan, if you worked at a company that had suffered setbacks over the past few years, made redundancies, but had built itself back up despite paying lower wages than others, you would not be blamed to handing in your notice. You've done your time, the employer loves you, and now you want to take that experience elsewhere to earn some more money.

Last paragraph I agree with most of the analogy but don’t see us as a company suffering setbacks and making redundancies. You have to remember that most other work environments there are competitors but not 24 all on the same level competing for the same things.

JB and BR were both just about coming through when relegated. They have grown with BCFC as the club has grown. In this competition they have only grown in the last few years which makes their(alledged) actions very odd. Again, I am all for bettering yourself but we were never a club likely to be promoted to the premier league so why kick off? Even last year we weren’t close. We spent half a season in the top 8 then fell probably to a more natural level for our squad. So I don’t know where their expectation came from. i am  All for not wanting to keep sacrificing your career for city but while you are their player you give your all and don’t throw toys out the pram when we hit a bad stretch. You get paid to play football so go and do that. 

Just now, JonDolman said:

I do wonder what on Earth was going on with us in those games. It just makes no sense to me. Brentford are a good team, but Christ we were absolutely shocking that day.

Millwall away was horrendous, we just weren't up for a fight

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I do wonder what on Earth was going on with us in those games. It just makes no sense to me. Brentford are a good team, but Christ we were absolutely shocking that day.

I was there, but for some reason cannot remember much about it, other than Maupay coming on and looking like a superstar.  Perhaps I just blotted the game from my memory, normally have good recall.

Archived