IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Signed for Fulham CONFIRMED

Whites

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Agreed, which is why I think we will replace him. Ability-wise, Kelly is good enough to make the step up, but it would be asking a hell of a lot of him to be first choice for a whole season, playing Saturday-Tuesday regularly. He's barely kicked a ball in preseason as it is.

I think that is an overstatement. He is soon be 20 and has played comfortably at this level. He will have some mistakes but plenty younger have made the step. It isn’t as if he doesn’t have the pedigree either with his U20 England call ups. It would be a challenge for him for sure but would not be asking a hell of a lot from him. He is ready and every minute he gets he will get more comfortable. 

9 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

let's wish him all the best and thank him for all his efforts. players come and go and why should he not want to move on for more money. we get a good bit of money. use it to improve the team. and on to Bolton for our next game. coyr.

Exactly, no player is bigger than the club. Life goes on, good luck Joe & COYR's.

2 hours ago, Kibs said:

Good luck to him, never been that convinced by him as a left back. Far more average games than good games in my opinion. Lacks concentration, seems to have lightening pace and desire going forward but much less so when tracking back, cutting out crosses or trying to defend in general.

That said, he has scored some memorable goals (Rovers, Swindon, Bradford, Man Utd) so for that I’m grateful.

Really hope we keep faith with Kelly and if we do sign a left back, it’s as competition for him rather than as a number one and that the funds are used elsewhere. 

Our midfield options need real competion & should get priority.

11 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

I was born in Middlesbrough and grew up in Bristol. My parents now live in Yatton, where they grew up, which is apparently where Joe lives.  Home is home, wherever you are from, but, Lord above, you'd need a big pay rise to move from here to there. And why would Joe, as cultured a man as he is a footballer, want to join Pulis? While I despise Villa, not least because they will probably fail to pay us, there really is only one choice Joe. 

There's some great countryside around Middlesbrough tbh. Well, outside it anyway.

Edit: Missed the bit about being born up there...still players don't often live in the city they play in. Doesn't Bryan live in North Somerset?

I think we are covered for LB with Lloyd Kelly, Cameron Pring and Pisano.  LK oozes quality and I thought Pring looked very competent in his pre-season appearances. Giving these two lads a chance would really highlight the academy pathway - as two leave another two step up.  Pisano is there if an experienced head is needed.  I think what the squad needs most is one of those elusive creative midfielders who can score a few goals.  They are not easy to find but there is a decent surplus of transfer money cash that could help bring in a player of this type.

25 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I think we are covered for LB with Lloyd Kelly, Cameron Pring and Pisano.  LK oozes quality and I thought Pring looked very competent in his pre-season appearances. Giving these two lads a chance would really highlight the academy pathway - as two leave another two step up.  Pisano is there if an experienced head is needed.  I think what the squad needs most is one of those elusive creative midfielders who can score a few goals.  They are not easy to find but there is a decent surplus of transfer money cash that could help bring in a player of this type.

Kelly is inexperienced, Pring is significantly less experienced and Pisano is neither a left back nor has he been regularly fit over much of the last year.

• Admin
5 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I guess it will come down to which of the two he thinks can get promotion. Both very big clubs, experienced managers , and pretty good squads for this league. Both will be top 6 IMHO.  

We need to sell him anyway, it is part of us following the Peterborough and Brentford business model and to an extent Ipswich. How else can you become self sufficient ? 

I just hope SL sees the Prem league and not L1 again in his lifetime with this approach. 

Let’s hope it’s more of a Southampton who made a bunch of high profile sales (usually to Arsenal iirc) en route to the top division.

We are certainly looking at profit this season on transfers, though I’m not sure how warm that will make me feel if we spend a season in the lower half of the table (I don’t think we will go down). 

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Kelly is inexperienced, Pring is significantly less experienced and Pisano is neither a left back nor has he been regularly fit over much of the last year.

Agree with this. Kelly looks a great player and prospect but it would be unfair to rely on him for 40 games a season this early in his career. The other options are just too flaky for me. We need a Championship ready left back in this week. 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is anyone that surprised that Reid, Flint and Bryan left/are leaving? Thought it was pretty obvious for months.. 

It's been on the cards for a while...

However where they went and in Bryan's case Championship club so late in the window- just because it was highly likely/obvious doesn't make it rankle less. Well that's my view anyway.

8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I guess it will come down to which of the two he thinks can get promotion. Both very big clubs, experienced managers , and pretty good squads for this league. Both will be top 6 IMHO.  

We need to sell him anyway, it is part of us following the Peterborough and Brentford business model and to an extent Ipswich. How else can you become self sufficient ? 

I just hope SL sees the Prem league and not L1 again in his lifetime with this approach. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t go to either.  Presumably it’s City who have leaked this to the media (though could possibly be his agent) and that can only be to give time for a bidding war before the Thursday deadline.  I suspect that they are alerting Premiership clubs who have previously expressed interest in him that he is available.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him end up at Bournemouth or perhaps even Burnley.

20 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's been on the cards for a while...

However where they went and in Bryan's case Championship club so late in the window- just because it was highly likely/obvious doesn't make it rankle less. Well that's my view anyway.

Doesn't matter to the club where they go as long as the money is right.

That is the model we are working too, every player has a value and if it's met, by absolutely anyone, and the player wishes to join that club then it's a done deal.

We all need to get used to this and accept it's how the club is being run.

Same could happen again next summer, say Kelly steps into LB and has a great season - which could easily happen, he will be off potentially.

Any chance of getting out of this league, in the right direction, is years away, if ever, and whilst we follow the policy of effectively making the team on the pitch weaker - a lot of the others are strengthening.

They can't all get promoted so each season there will be stronger and stronger opposing squads supplemented each year with 3 relegated sides with thick wallets.

I can't see how our model does anything to improve our chances of promotion.

It all seems very odd as SL stated he wanted improvement in league position this year, the circumstances around this summer simply don't support that, even the most optimistic on here reckon 11th would be a result - and I agree.

Same story with AG, we have a PL stadium but we seem to be happy to weaken the whole point of having it.

Of course there is always the rugby to consider............

16 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Doesn't matter to the club where they go as long as the money is right.

That is the model we are working too, every player has a value and if it's met, by absolutely anyone, and the player wishes to join that club then it's a done deal.

We all need to get used to this and accept it's how the club is being run.

Same could happen again next summer, say Kelly steps into LB and has a great season - which could easily happen, he will be off potentially.

Any chance of getting out of this league, in the right direction, is years away, if ever, and whilst we follow the policy of effectively making the team on the pitch weaker - a lot of the others are strengthening.

They can't all get promoted so each season there will be stronger and stronger opposing squads supplemented each year with 3 relegated sides with thick wallets.

I can't see how our model does anything to improve our chances of promotion.

It all seems very odd as SL stated he wanted improvement in league position this year, the circumstances around this summer simply don't support that, even the most optimistic on here reckon 11th would be a result - and I agree.

Same story with AG, we have a PL stadium but we seem to be happy to weaken the whole point of having it.

Of course there is always the rugby to consider............

Yeah true, the club don't care, mind about who it is as long as the fee is met.

Brentford's model seems to be along similar lines and they do alright so it could work maybe, but I hope we put a bit of a moratorium on big sales for a while after this summer- maximum of 1 per summer.

We won't have a great crack at promotion this year- top 6 not so much. Then again though, quite a few Championship sides have got weaker- but a number have got stronger too. Boro are weaker though, Norwich are weaker, to name 2. If and when Grealish goes Villa certainly will be weaker- but that makes it worse for mke asw I saw a decent window of opportunity if we had kept broadly as it was and tweaked around the edges. OITOH, Forest are massively stronger, Leeds seem to be getting stronger...Birmingham and Sheff Wed weaker- it's hard to gauge IMO.

@cheshire_red That would take the piss most of all tbh if we sell to them...

32 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

Just read speculation Forest have bid

Can’t really see that. Their LB the other day was solid and while I can’t remember his name I do know he is more of a midfielder than LB but did a decent job. They need to fit him in anywhere as too talented not play. Also they signed Robinson from QPR. Think they have options though think Robinson can play CB too. Would not be impossible but again seems a stretch

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah true, the club don't care, mind about who it is as long as the fee is met.

Brentford's model seems to be along similar lines and they do alright so it could work maybe, but I hope we put a bit of a moratorium on big sales for a while after this summer- maximum of 1 per summer.

We won't have a great crack at promotion this year- top 6 not so much. Then again though, quite a few Championship sides have got weaker- but a number have got stronger too. Boro are weaker though, Norwich are weaker, to name 2. If and when Grealish goes Villa certainly will be weaker- but that makes it worse for mke asw I saw a decent window of opportunity if we had kept broadly as it was and tweaked around the edges. OITOH, Forest are massively stronger, Leeds seem to be getting stronger...Birmingham and Sheff Wed weaker- it's hard to gauge IMO.

@cheshire_red That would take the piss most of all tbh if we sell to them...

Boro are weaker, at this moment, but I expect them to spend significantly before Thursday - JB aside.

Norwich have brought in Rhodes and Krul - two that might work out and then again might not and they have lost Maddison - I don't see them as top six currently.

I think Sheffield Utd have bought / loaned well and are showing a level of ambition that we aren't.

IF Grealish goes they are going to get a serious sum of money and whilst Bruce probably wont get to spend all of it he will get a high %. Reading an interview with him last night, he identified the market being open for a 'month' which says that he is looking at PL loans and with the money they will probably get for Grealish and the fact that Villa are seen as a big club and the profile of their manager he may get a few interesting ones in.

There is no getting away from the fact that Leeds and Forest are getting stronger and are likely to be in the top six shake - up as things stand.

14 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Boro are weaker, at this moment, but I expect them to spend significantly before Thursday - JB aside.

Norwich have brought in Rhodes and Krul - two that might work out and then again might not and they have lost Maddison - I don't see them as top six currently.

I think Sheffield Utd have bought / loaned well and are showing a level of ambition that we aren't.

IF Grealish goes they are going to get a serious sum of money and whilst Bruce probably wont get to spend all of it he will get a high %. Reading an interview with him last night, he identified the market being open for a 'month' which says that he is looking at PL loans and with the money they will probably get for Grealish and the fact that Villa are seen as a big club and the profile of their manager he may get a few interesting ones in.

There is no getting away from the fact that Leeds and Forest are getting stronger and are likely to be in the top six shake - up as things stand.

Sheffield United are ones I would pick out for sure as ones to watch for top 6. They've sold Brooks but recruited well for sure.

Norwich? Won't go down, won't have a sustained playoff push IMO. 

Villa have a big hole to fill so surely a decent chunk of the Grealish cash would go on that? Should do anyway.

Definitely think Leeds and Forest will be there or thereabouts as it stands.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t go to either.  Presumably it’s City who have leaked this to the media (though could possibly be his agent) and that can only be to give time for a bidding war before the Thursday deadline.  I suspect that they are alerting Premiership clubs who have previously expressed interest in him that he is available.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him end up at Bournemouth or perhaps even Burnley.

Pleased to see him at either of these but please not Villains or Boro

Archived