IGNORED

WEDLOCK WALL BRICKS - Is it a hut? (Merged)

NickJ

37 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

@RedRaw I don't understand why you keep defending this wall during this thread?

You've already stated that you didn't "buy a brick", so why keep having petty replies on something that DOESN'T AFFECT YOU!

£55 is a lot of money to some people, surely you can understand why they may be aggrieved by what has been supplied against what was being sold?

Perhaps he's gone back to being the City Cat again for next season?

Ahhh the old "you don't agree with us so shouldn't respond" type of guy are you? Don't work like that mate.....its a public forum and I can respond as I see fit within the rules of the forum.

Did you feel the same when there was outrage from most fans on here when the clubs season ticket prices appeared to target kids, OAPs and the disabled? Or should it have been the only people affected that should have been outraged?

23 minutes ago, tomo said:

Just on the Gromet hunt with my son...see they are now doing the finishing touches....ffs!

20180731_144400.jpg

Wow, so many bricks ?

I would be pee'd off if I did shell out £55 or whatever it was.

Mark Kelly is the MD of the stadium company.  Has posted on here many times.

Another Reply...This Time From Our Supporter Liaison Officer - Matt Parsons

Hi David,

Thanks for your email.

As you know, the original “Buy a Brick” scheme that started in 2005 was for a Wall of Fame to help raise funds for the redevelopment of the old East End. When those plans were put on hold the names were published on a ‘roll of honour’ in the Dolman Exhibition Hall in the form of plaques. It was important to honour the fans who had previously purchased bricks in the original scheme and the team at Ashton Gate agreed to find  a suitable location.

When the location was confirmed by Ashton Gate Ltd, the opportunity was there to add additional names to the wall. The announcement of the additional “bricks”  confirmed the positioning of the Wedlock Wall, stating that it would be on the approach from Winterstoke Road down to Marina Dolman Way, just yards from the iconic Atyeo Statue. Furthermore imagery of what the brick would look like was shown on the website.

Many stadiums call these installations  “buy a brick” schemes but more than often they are in fact plaques that are either put onto walls or placed on floors. If you look at what other clubs charge they are anything between £60 (West Ham) and £100 (Rotherham) everything was done to ensure we costs were kept at a minimum for fans.

Your feedback has been noted and has been passed back to the team at Ashton Gate.

Kind Regards

Matt

2 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Ahhh the old "you don't agree with us so shouldn't respond" type of guy are you? Don't work like that mate.....its a public forum and I can respond as I see fit within the rules of the forum.

Did you feel the same when there was outrage from most fans on here when the clubs season ticket prices appeared to target kids, OAPs and the disabled? Or should it have been the only people affected that should have been outraged?

Honest question please, if you had paid £55, waited 9 years and got one of those plaques would you be happy? 

12 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Honest question please, if you had paid £55, waited 9 years and got one of those plaques would you be happy? 

Well, honest answer........I really would be questioning myself for agreeing to pay £55 for a brick!

However, my personal opinion of this situation is that I don’t really see much difference between my name inscribed on a granite “plaque” on a wall or on inscribed on newly built red brick wall. 

I appreciate that there are others that don’t share that opinion.

Let me ask you this......would there be this much fuss if they used inscribed bricks and built the wall up against the ‘hut’ wall?

12 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Let me ask you this......would there be this much fuss if they used inscribed bricks and built the wall up against the ‘hut’ wall?

My opinion would be no, it just seems a shoddy job for something I'd hope would have been a longstanding memorial wall. 

I guess we won't agree on this, nice to have a debate on here not getting into personal mud slinging 

Anyway onto Forest.. 

Not impressed by the reply from Matt.

Why advertise it as a granite brick when it’s a plaque.

wedlock Wall is side of a sub station not a wall more a portaksbin.

As someone said earlier £38750 paid by fans. I’m guessing that it cost no more than £10000 to make all the plaques and do the wall. Feel completely robbed and seems there was nowhere for it to go so do as cheap as possible.

Only mention of near Aryeo statue in February. Last 2 Articles no ststement at all about placement of supposed Bricks.

Personally if it’s the wedlock wall and no wall has been built why not place the plaques on the south stand (old wedlock stand) at least it would mean something instead of being stuck onto a substation. 

Find it insulting that the club say because  other clubs call them bricks but are really plaques we can advertise it as such and that’s ok, Count ourselves lucky it didn’t cost more.

How many clubs place there brick/plaques on a substation.

Would be interesting to see what size 'the wall' would be if each plaque was actually the size of a common standard house brick. 

Built brick by brick with sand and cement by a couple of competent local brickies laying 1100/1200 bricks per day between them the complete wall wouldn't take long to finish and would look a damn sight more impressive than the current piss poor plaque efforts of Bristol Sport so far.

Couldn't it have been constructed as a 'skin' directly against part the interval concourse walls where it would look good, be easily 'read' and would last forever and a day undamaged by weather or anything? Could even be nicely illuminated too.

Anyway … plaque for plaque... brick for brick how would the two walls compare sizewise?  

7 hours ago, tomo said:

Hi David,

Thanks for your email.

As you know, the original “Buy a Brick” scheme that started in 2005 was for a Wall of Fame to help raise funds for the redevelopment of the old East End. When those plans were put on hold the names were published on a ‘roll of honour’ in the Dolman Exhibition Hall in the form of plaques. It was important to honour the fans who had previously purchased bricks in the original scheme and the team at Ashton Gate agreed to find  a suitable location.

When the location was confirmed by Ashton Gate Ltd, the opportunity was there to add additional names to the wall. The announcement of the additional “bricks”  confirmed the positioning of the Wedlock Wall, stating that it would be on the approach from Winterstoke Road down to Marina Dolman Way, just yards from the iconic Atyeo Statue. Furthermore imagery of what the brick would look like was shown on the website.

Many stadiums call these installations  “buy a brick” schemes but more than often they are in fact plaques that are either put onto walls or placed on floors. If you look at what other clubs charge they are anything between £60 (West Ham) and £100 (Rotherham) everything was done to ensure we costs were kept at a minimum for fans.

Your feedback has been noted and has been passed back to the team at Ashton Gate.

Kind Regards

Matt

West Ham fans bought stones for a walkway. It was not called buy a brick.  

6 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Would be interesting to see what size 'the wall' would be if each plaque was actually the size of a common standard house brick. 

Built brick by brick with sand and cement by a couple of competent local brickies laying 1100/1200 bricks per day between them the complete wall wouldn't take long to finish and would look a damn sight more impressive than the current piss poor plaque efforts of Bristol Sport so far.

Couldn't it have been constructed as a 'skin' directly against part the interval concourse walls where it would look good, be easily 'read' and would last forever and a day undamaged by weather or anything? Could even be nicely illuminated too.

Anyway … plaque for plaque... brick for brick how would the two walls compare sizewise?  

Good Point - they could have used any wall inside the concourse, free of the British Weather!

One area possibly marked X (by the clock) could have been used, albeit this area currently features the Liverpool V BCFC FA Cup Story which of course is a truly memorable game. They could have moved this or simply found another area inside the stadium. As you said with lighting etc, it could have looked really impressive (even if we have to live with the mis-sold plaques!). 

It's so Bristol Rovers as it stands!

wedlock.jpg

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

I know this is nothing to do with you, and your just the messenger in this. But, can you pass this on please.

West Ham have images of what they are selling plus it says this

We are celebrating Hammers heroes and faithful fans by creating a landscaped walkway - Champions Place - where you can order a granite stone with an engraved personalised message”

So that stone will be placed into the walk way, no mention of bricks etc. Different project no comparison. 

Rotherham to be fair also looks a joke, classing it as a bricks but then looking at the picture it won’t be anything like that. 

Surely just as Rotherham have done similar doesn’t make it right? It’s like the old “well everyone else charges £2.50 for a cup of tea, it’s the industry standard”

4 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

I know this is nothing to do with you, and your just the messenger in this. But, can you pass this on please.

West Ham have images of what they are selling plus it says this

We are celebrating Hammers heroes and faithful fans by creating a landscaped walkway - Champions Place - where you can order a granite stone with an engraved personalised message”

So that stone will be placed into the walk way, no mention of bricks etc. Different project no comparison. 

Rotherham to be fair also looks a joke, classing it as a bricks but then looking at the picture it won’t be anything like that. 

Surely just as Rotherham have done similar doesn’t make it right? It’s like the old “well everyone else charges £2.50 for a cup of tea, it’s the industry standard”

https://championsplace.whufc.com/index.htm

westham.jpg

17 minutes ago, tomo said:

Good Point - they could have used any wall inside the concourse, free of the British Weather!

One area possibly marked X (by the clock) could have been used, albeit this area currently features the Liverpool V BCFC FA Cup Story which of course is a truly memorable game. They could have moved this or simply found another area inside the stadium. As you said with lighting etc, it could have looked really impressive (even if we have to live with the mis-sold plaques!). 

It's so Bristol Rovers as it stands!

wedlock.jpg

which stand is tat?

14 hours ago, tomo said:

Hi David,

Thanks for your email.

Kind Regards

Matt

My Reply to Matt:-

Thanks Matt for your reply,

Much appreciated and I note your comments. 

When all is said and done, whatever 'any other club do is their choice' but in my opinion it looks awful and there is a case of the project being mis-sold, 

The most disappointing point is the location. I can't see many clubs (whether using plaques, bricks or stones), using a 'sub-station hut' to remember a very famous player, in our case the great Billy Wedlock. It's embarrassing! 

I am sure you are keeping an eye out on the discussion thread on OTIB. If not, I think you should tune in on that and see what other fans are saying. 

Others have suggested some ideas, so please take a look,

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/195146-wedlock-wall-bricks-is-it-a-hut-merged/&page=3

Kindest Regards

David

Just a thought, and I have no concrete information about this, but could the location be a temporary one, ahead of the floor space outside the stadium getting a re-jig when the next part of the development finally gets the go ahead. It might look less “slapped on a wall afterthought” when that’s all done. 

7 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Just a thought, and I have no concrete information about this, but could the location be a temporary one, ahead of the floor space outside the stadium getting a re-jig when the next part of the development finally gets the go ahead. It might look less “slapped on a wall afterthought” when that’s all done. 

Would help if you had some concrete , could help Bristol sport build the wall. 

1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

Nothing has been communicated to that effect, albeit they may take that approach now in view of how bad it looks using a hut!

I even chatted to Scotty Murray about it last week when visiting the shop. He said it looked 'crap' with a few other words mixed in (:laugh:!). On that note that man is a legend. I don't want to go off-topic here as this thread is about the Wedlock Wall but when at the shop, there was a lad in his mid 20's with his Mum talking to Scotty. Scotty felt a little sorry for him I guess as he left the shop with no gear. Mr Murray ran to his van, collected his wallet, took the lad back into the shop and bought him a training top out of his own money. Mint - what a gesture!

27 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Dolly, Do you know anything about the wall at all. In Gareth Tovey email he sent to Tomo he said supporters Trust and club were consulted about the location. What was actually mentioned by the club regards this.

1 minute ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Dolly, Do you know anything about the wall at all. In Gareth Tovey email he sent to Tomo he said supporters Trust and club were consulted about the location. What was actually mentioned by the club regards this.

We knew where the location was, but not how it was going to physically look. Which is why I said what I said earlier, it may look more aesthetically pleasing when that end of the ground is fully redeveloped 

7 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

We knew where the location was, but not how it was going to physically look. Which is why I said what I said earlier, it may look more aesthetically pleasing when that end of the ground is fully redeveloped 

ummmmm - it won't look any different Dolly if the hut stays :laugh:!

Sorry....it's called the Electricity Storage Unit! 

39 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

if that happens then its fair enough,

Archived