IGNORED

WEDLOCK WALL BRICKS - Is it a hut? (Merged)

NickJ

I think the original idea way back was to redevelop the Eastend and have a wall built from ‘proper’ bricks wasn’t it. Obviously this was shelved and we redeveloped. People then had the opportunity to have refunds or their name on a wall somewhere in the redevelopment. I don’t know when ‘brick’ became ‘plaque’ but somewhere along the line it did.

Im not defending the club here, but I’ve been to many grounds and seen similar, some good, some bad. The use of ‘proper’ bricks looks good for a while, then they can get severely weathered. Recently I saw some bricks at the Mill  Stad/Principality or whatever it’s latest name is, and these set into the floor as paving are really, really worn, some unreadable. Maybe the club has gone for the more hardwearing long lasting option?

But I don’t think this is the issue here. Brick has become plaque and the siting of them on a ‘hut’ seems to be the main gripe?

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The wall is to high. On top it’s in a area where the club wan’t people to be on the move. Not stockings because people are trying to read names on the very top. ”The Wedlock Wall”  thing can be skipped as well.

Typo of the day.

• Admin
47 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Just my opinion of course but...

That looks rubbish, I would be livid if I paid £55 for one of those.

Agree @Coxy27, let's be honest it looks tacky

41 minutes ago, tomo said:

Still a hut and looks pathetic!

20180727_120007.jpg

I love the way they had to put the words "Wedlock Wall" as well just to emphasise what it should have been

25 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think the original idea way back was to redevelop the Eastend and have a wall built from ‘proper’ bricks wasn’t it. Obviously this was shelved and we redeveloped. People then had the opportunity to have refunds or their name on a wall somewhere in the redevelopment. I don’t know when ‘brick’ became ‘plaque’ but somewhere along the line it did.

Im not defending the club here, but I’ve been to many grounds and seen similar, some good, some bad. The use of ‘proper’ bricks looks good for a while, then they can get severely weathered. Recently I saw some bricks at the Mill  Stad/Principality or whatever it’s latest name is, and these set into the floor as paving are really, really worn, some unreadable. Maybe the club has gone for the more hardwearing long lasting option?

But I don’t think this is the issue here. Brick has become plaque and the siting of them on a ‘hut’ seems to be the main gripe?

There is another problem in that when this "refund" was claimed as being offered by the club, lots of people said they had never received this offer

The question, for anyone going to the game tonight - are they bricks? As SOLD by the club?

image.png

Also are they as detailed below?

image.png

Because at the moment it looks like we paid £55 for a plaque!!

Should have been inside the South Stand and lower down around a bigger area. Seems like the plaques are stuck on so they can come off surely a target for damage where they are. :punish:

Reply From The Club:-

Hi David,

Thanks for your email and your feedback, I’ve discussed the contents of your email with the Stadium Development Manager and he’s asked myself to respond.

The new ‘Wedlock Wall’ is currently being installed in the Fan Village, we are hopeful that it will be completed and unveiled soon. I would hold off being disappointed until you have seen the wall for yourself.

In response to your point about it being a new wall this also ties in to the point you make about location. Given the tight space we have with the stadium grounds, it would not have been possible to locate it elsewhere without having blocked something else or impacting on existing egress routes. As far as we are aware all buy-a brick schemes work in a similar fashion, tiles/plaques are produced and than displayed in a manner that they can be viewed.

The location chosen was debated at length and we made the supporter’s club & trust aware of where we would position it. Using an area of floor to display the ‘bricks’ was deemed not practical as we are close to a water course, the growth of mould and moss is likely as well as damage from the numerous delivery vehicles that access the site daily.

Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to call 0117 963 0600 (option one) and ask to speak to myself, I’m generally here weekdays 9am – 5pm.

I replied:-

Many thanks for your email and coming back fella, 

I did try calling you this morning and left a message with a colleague. I await your call back. With regards to your comments, I have already seen the 'Wedlock Wall' before it was 'blanket covered' on Friday last week.

I am disappointed. The Wall is simply plaques stuck onto a garage / hut and the hut has simply been painted a 'charcoal like black' with a sign above saying 'Wedlock Wall' 

The finished piece is not as it was sold to customers. It is a plaque, not a high quality black gloss granite brick, it is not a wall, it is a hut with cheap looking plaques stuck to it!

On the assumption that all 700 customers paid £55, that is a revenue stream of £38,500. Whilst I appreciate the club need to make profit, I am stunned what has been delivered. It really looks cheap and doesn't reflect the same standards that have been applied to the re-development of the stadium. 

Please see links below:-

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/buy-a-brick-scheme-part-of-new-west-stand/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/buy-a-brick-scheme-set-for-summer-install/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/last-chance-to-buy-your-wedlock-wall-brick/

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/deadline-to-buy-your-wedlock-wall-brick-approaching/

You have also not addressed the format for the wall. Wouldn't it have made sense to have all bricks in the same font/capitals - again, it really looks amateur!

I await your comments and telephone call, 

Catch up soon,

Kindest Regards

David 

• Admin
24 minutes ago, tomo said:

The finished piece is not as it was sold to customers. It is a plaque, not a high quality black gloss granite brick, it is not a wall, it is a hut with cheap looking plaques stuck to it!

customers paid £55

Thank you @tomo for posting this on here, I'm equally cheesed off with what it appears to be, but unlike you I have not seen it in the flesh yet, and will hold off until after the weekend.

For me the key issues are that above - it's not like the damn thing was rushed to be completed, the whole process has been nothing short of a shambles since it was originally sold to us

Personally I'm not going to be happy shelling out £55 for a plaque which by the sounds of things is something that would have cost a couple of quid at best

Gareth Torpy replied and I have spoken to him, 

He didn't really say much more than what he wrote in the email. It sounded like he was taking the comments personally rather than allowing me to explain the bigger picture. I tried to explain that a lot of fans will have the same opinion and think it's a poor job. From what Gareth said, (he has not seen it yet and has no real knowledge of the project), it is there to stay on the hut, which is in fact an electricity storage unit - that comment made me chuckle!  

He said any concerns should be raised with matt.parsons@bcfc.co.uk so I have sent the email onto him!

I was unable to obtain Peter Smith's email address who is the Stadium Development Manager - anyone have it? Is it a Bristol Sport email address?

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Thank you @tomo for posting this on here, I'm equally cheesed off with what it appears to be, but unlike you I have not seen it in the flesh yet, and will hold off until after the weekend.

For me the key issues are that above - it's not like the damn thing was rushed to be completed, the whole process has been nothing short of a shambles since it was originally sold to us

Personally I'm not going to be happy shelling out £55 for a plaque which by the sounds of things is something that would have cost a couple of quid at best

I have seen it in the flesh - as a few people have said it's cemetery style!

8 minutes ago, tomo said:

Gareth Torpy replied and I have spoken to him, 

He didn't really say much more than what he wrote in the email. It sounded like he was taking the comments personally rather than allowing me to explain the bigger picture. I tried to explain that a lot of fans will have the same opinion and think it's a poor job. From what Gareth said, (he has not seen it yet and has no real knowledge of the project), it is there to stay on the hut, which is in fact an electricity storage unit - that comment made me chuckle!  

He said any concerns should be raised with matt.parsons@bcfc.co.uk

I was unable to obtain Peter Smith's email address who is the Stadium Development Manager - anyone have it? Is it a Bristol Sport email address?

He must be sacked. The stadium is there.

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

lets wait until its finished then, there may be more going in,

If it's still as bristol rovers as it is at the minute then we can make the club know 

They may take on board my original comments and 'flash it up' with some surrounding images of Mr Wedlock but it's still on a hut.........oooops sorry.......'the electricity storage unit'

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

So you would have been happy if it was an actual brick which would have cost what........about 70p?

Surely, when people paid £55 to "buy-a-brick" :facepalm: they were more likely paying for the inscription and sentiment of the scheme 

1 hour ago, RedRaw said:

So you would have been happy if it was an actual brick which would have cost what........about 70p?

Surely, when people paid £55 to "buy-a-brick" :facepalm: they were more likely paying for the inscription and sentiment of the scheme 

@RedRaw I don't understand why you keep defending this wall during this thread?

You've already stated that you didn't "buy a brick", so why keep having petty replies on something that DOESN'T AFFECT YOU!

£55 is a lot of money to some people, surely you can understand why they may be aggrieved by what has been supplied against what was being sold?

1 hour ago, tomo said:

Perhaps he's gone back to being the City Cat again for next season?

Archived