IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

One of my most memorable moments in 55 years of watching City was Aden Fint's header off the line at Man City last season. I could not believe it - simply incredible and never to be forgotten. 

'Also remember the first goal in the JPT final, the hat trick in the 8-2 final home match of the promotion season and of course the live TV interview after the Swindon match. Goodbye and good luck Aden - a modern City legend. 

20 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As a matter of interest, does anybody know if GMcG actually posts on here?

Clearly, there are many Bristol Live journalists who read the site, GMcG included (Remember us signing the young Liverpool lad who went to Italy?), and I have seen posts from other BL journalists, e.g.  @Tristan Cork, but I just wonder if he is the only one.

Hello! Yes, I'm here!
I really don't know about my colleagues, but I would've thought the sports reporters are on here, surely?
I'm a news reporter - the reporter for BS3 and South Bristol generally. I'm on here as a City fan, not for work, like. They won't let me report on the actual football, sadly, because apparently I'd be 'too biased'. 
i mean... come on!
One day I'll get into Ashton Gate for free.... one day.... :)

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Signally the most improved player City have had in years. Lest not forget at the end of his first season there isn't a City fan who wouldn't have offered him a free, one-way lift anywhere in the country. What he did subsequently is a huge credit to himself. So thanks for the memories Flinty but us having bagged the dosh I hope you revert to being the player you were when you first joined us. 

Not so, up and down first few months but he'd already proved himself, and won doubting fans round, with a series of MOTM performances before his season ending knee injury at Shrewsbury.

Personally, from the moment I saw him score that towering header in the Swindon play off game I was convinced he was exactly the dominant, ultra competitive, defender and character we needed, and have consistently said as much on OTIB ever since, including during the inconsistent start.

There are a few players, very few in fact, you just know as a fan will suit Bristol City FC down to the ground, and for me Aden Flint has proved an outstanding example.

44 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's only brilliant if it's invested in superior talent, which I don;t trust those involved in recruitment to do. What good is 7 million sat in the bank or spent on 3rd division Swedish "prospects". 

That's the 3rd division Swedish prospect who just played at the World Cup, and is off to play CL football next season, right?

7 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

That's the 3rd division Swedish prospect who just played at the World Cup, and is off to play CL football next season, right?

He's Icelandic ffs.

Our 3rd division Swedish prospects either couldn't handle being in a different country or might probably end up on loan at MK Dons or somewhere next year.

£4.5m or so we spent for that didn't we?

1 minute ago, Super said:

Will he actually get a game? as they have Ayala and Gibson unless one of them are leaving?

Gibson's been rumoured to be off for ages. Flint's his 'replacement' I imagine.

3 minutes ago, Unan said:

Only mainstay in one of the leakiest defences in years, people can't see past the cult tag.

If Bristol City were a team that was defensive, and played with a low block in Aden Flints time here you may think that argument was valid, as they have not and he is joining a Manager who is known for his defensive outlook wanting players who can hold a shape, and be a threat from set pieces I think your post is … 

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If Bristol City were a team that was defensive, and played with a low block in Aden Flints time here you may think that argument was valid, as they have not and he is joining a Manager who is known for his defensive outlook wanting players who can hold a shape, and be a threat from set pieces I think your post is … 

Everyone else up there can score more and concede less.

Screen Shot 2018-06-27 at 14.47.23.png

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Will he actually get a game? as they have Ayala and Gibson unless one of them are leaving?

Mr Pulis will go with three big CB and big goal scoring holding midfielders. It will not be pretty but the methodology will be balls out in simplicity and they will almost certainly over power those that can't match up, or keep the ball away from them. 

1 hour ago, bissellredhead said:

And the overreaction of the year award goes to.... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

you do realise theres still 6 weeks to go until the season starts for us to bring players in right?

Yeah I know but having a bad day anyways and this just adds to it (I need to post once calmed down)....

what I was trying to say was what makes flint want to go to another Championship club (prem I could understand) ??? surely if its money don't we have money as a club (but not prepared to pay the same as other clubs) ? Ambition of the club, if that's the case that proves my point why are clubs like Boro seen as more ambitious than we are? 

Yes 6 weeks to bring players in just like we had 6 weeks in January to bring players in and push on our promotion chase, but this was possible the worst transfer window I can remember (whilst being in the position we were in) which leads to having no faith in either LJ or MA.... I do hope I am proved wrong and would love to be reminded of this and would eat hatful's of humble pie but just cant see it happening...  

52 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I can't believe we've sold him to a Championship club.  This shows a lack of ambition and has worried me about next season.

We had no reason to sell him this summer, and should have only considered it for a Premier league team.  To have Aden playing against us is terrible.

Bad day for City.

Flint to notch for them at the gate??

You knows it.

32 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not so, up and down first few months but he'd already proved himself, and won doubting fans round, with a series of MOTM performances before his season ending knee injury at Shrewsbury.

Rose tinted specs perchance? Until that career changing injury (it'll be a pub quiz stalwart in a few years time - 'name the only player to have had major knee reconstructive surgery and come back a million times better a player than before getting crocked?') Flint was absolutely and utterly dire. You only have to check the records to see the goals shipped during the dark days of SoD. Who can forget Cotterill at Vicarage Road twice making him trek 35 yards to the bench for a rollicking and, on the latter occasion, a physical demonstration of what he should have been doing on the pitch? Never has Cotterill's leg been so high in showing which row the ball should have ended up rather than the back of our net.

That Flint went away and rebuilt himself and his career and ended up fully deserving legendary status post many seasons of high quality performances and exemplar leadership on the pitch is nothing short of miraculous and wholly to his credit.

My favourite player of all time, no question.

He came as a tall streaky young lad with potential and has become our rock in quick succession. Huge loss to us and will be difficult to replace.

All the very best to you Aden.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

You may want to reassess how much you think we are getting

Don't forget Swindon and Alfreton have decent sell on clauses that will be taking a nice chunk out of the amount you (wrongly) quoted

I'd have taken 4m for him realistically, probably about his value, maybe a little less. Has been at the heart of a pretty poor defence since we joined the Championship. Presume we'll be receiving around that. So I'm delighted. Even in a pretty good season like last we conceded 58 goals, worst in the top half only behind Ipswich!

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Rose tinted specs perchance? Until that career changing injury (it'll be a pub quiz stalwart in a few years time - 'name the only player to have had major knee reconstructive surgery and come back a million times better a player than before getting crocked?') Flint was absolutely and utterly dire. You only have to check the records to see the goals shipped during the dark days of SoD. Who can forget Cotterill at Vicarage Road twice making him trek 35 yards to the bench for a rollicking and, on the latter occasion, a physical demonstration of what he should have been doing on the pitch? Never has Cotterill's leg been so high in showing which row the ball should have ended up rather than the back of our net.

That Flint went away and rebuilt himself and his career and ended up fully deserving legendary status post many seasons of high quality performances and exemplar leadership on the pitch is nothing short of miraculous and wholly to his credit.

I was pointing out your first post was simply wrong. Flint was already putting in a series of MOTM performances prior to the injury.

Not really interested in your follow up post if you either weren't aware of that, or seemingly are unwilling to acknowledge it.

Flint knows more about the ambition of our club, as an insider, than we fans do and he decided to move out. That tells it's own story. Thanks Aden for your time with us and good luck in the future. Any chance of  a season ticket refund? (Only joking!!)

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

Not a thanks, or even an acknowledgement by Flint for City fans. Disappointing. 

He`s probably somewhere on the M5, give him a chance to get home and have a cup of tea!

Plus, he`ll probably want to think about what to say and that would be better done tomorrow once today`s worn off a bit.

I can`t imagine he won`t post something though.

Archived