IGNORED

Goodbye and Good luck - Aden Flint gone, official (Merged)

Davefevs

How is it we've accepted pittance for Flint given his status, achievements and contract, yet reading have rejected an offer of 10mill plus 3 mill in add ons from Brighton for Liam Moore who is a far lesser player?

bemuses me why, if there was so much interest, that we didn't hold out for more than we got... Or at least wait until we got close to 10 mill before accepting at least.

9 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

How is it we've accepted pittance for Flint given his status, achievements and contract, yet reading have rejected an offer of 10mill plus 3 mill in add ons from Brighton for Liam Moore who is a far lesser player?

bemuses me why, if there was so much interest, that we didn't hold out for more than we got... Or at least wait until we got close to 10 mill before accepting at least.

Could easily have been a release clause in his new contract from March. 

22 minutes ago, Paul Cheesy said:

Funny but for someone who is supposed to be such a legend of the club, he seems to have been desperate to get out of here for at least a year!! Not sure he truly had a lot of love for Bristol City

It’s a job to him. He wants as much money as possible - can’t blame him for that given his background and the fact that he’s getting on for 30. 

He was on reasonably good money here I’m sure but we simply cannot compete wage wise with teams that have recently come down from the premier league. 

7 hours ago, phantom said:

You may want to reassess how much you think we are getting

Don't forget Swindon and Alfreton have decent sell on clauses that will be taking a nice chunk out of the amount you (wrongly) quoted

What about Matlock town? Will they get a bumper box of Thorntons from Alfreton?

8 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

14033676_1109872125770343_985756227_n.thumb.jpg.8b55bc688bd87d6244761a3cb9bff888.jpg

And so ends this amazing photo. You'll be missed big man :no:

Was thinking the same. Loved that back 3 and that photo. All the best to Flint though who has improved significantly in his time with us. One of those players I will never forget. The first match I will get to this season will be the Boro match so it will be strange to see him on the other side. He’ll get a great reception though. But players come and players go and that’s part of what keeps it interesting. 

I would just add that moving Bristol to Middlesbrough is a pretty depressing move.

ls there a more depressing town in England than Middlesbrough.

I would need one hell of a signing on fee and a big wage increase to make the move.

2 minutes ago, boatman said:

I would just add that moving Bristol to Middlesbrough is a pretty depressing move.

I would need one hell of a signing on fee and a big wage increase to make the move.

Yeah, he’ll be buying a house right in the middle of the industrial shithole won’t he?  Nope.

Do Liverpool players live in the terraced houses around Anfield.

3 minutes ago, boatman said:

Grimsby. Hull. Dover. Port Talbot. Accrington. Castleford. Rotherham. Huddersfield.

Wouldn't choose Middlesborough over Bristol but there are many worse places to live. Not like he'll be living outside the stadium either.

6 hours ago, boatman said:

Middlesbrough isn't that bad, much rather live in the North East than most satellite towns around London such as Watford or Reading or somewhere like Peterborough. Those have always felt like soulless places to me. 

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

The first half of your post is factually correct so no idea why you have so many bins.

Fairly obvious to all who watch City that Flint has played to a high standard throughout, hence the 7m bid now.

It does not follow that having a leaky defence as a whole means every constituent of that defence must have been at fault, and clearly Middlesbrough's bid indicates that individually Flint is viewed as a very consistent and dependable top end Championship CB.

22 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fairly obvious to all who watch City that Flint has played to a high standard throughout, hence the 7m bid now.

It does not follow that having a leaky defence as a whole means every constituent of that defence must have been at fault, and clearly Middlesbrough's bid indicates that individually Flint is viewed as a very consistent and dependable top end Championship CB.

Yes but in the 9 games he has missed in the last 3 seasons we have kept 6 clean sheets!

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Middlesbrough isn't that bad, much rather live in the North East than most satellite towns around London such as Watford or Reading or somewhere like Peterborough. Those have always felt like soulless places to me. 

Makes me laugh when people start using a town centre’s perception as a basis for a move, like the player cares. 

Middlesbrough is on the fringes of some of the nicest, unspoiled landscape in the country. 

53 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Makes me laugh when people start using a town centre’s perception as a basis for a move, like the player cares. 

Middlesbrough is on the fringes of some of the nicest, unspoiled landscape in the country. 

You've convinced me to take a long weekend there, perhaps for the away game.

Back to the sale of Flint to Boro, it is an absolute disgrace.  The more I dwell upon it, the more outraged I am!

Seething with rage!

Seemingly gone for 5 million up front less, I bet, 20% to Swindon and 2 more if Boro do this and that not to be revealed.

So net 4 million now and a reported 3.5 million for Webster who, fair enough, is about 5 years younger but is also 4" shorter which is the difference between scoring a dozen goals a season and, ummm, none.

In summary I don't get this decision but hopefully City know what they are doing. 

Sorry to see Aden go.. Sideways step? He obviously doesn't think so and his first interview about coming to Boro to gain promotion may have hit a nerve back at BS3. I do not think Aden meant it in a bad way though and he has made his decision, City may have encouraged the move, if you believe McGregor, and we should all wish him well. A great servant to the club and some fantastic performances.

You will be missed Flinty; big boots to fill now by LJ and his team. They simply must deliver.

There seems to be a lot of anger about the club’s “decision” here.

Yet surely we all know that once a player decides to move on, the clubs have little leverage any more. Yes, you can refuse to sell in theory, but that leaves you with a disincentivised player who can be forced to play, but not to play well.

The players have all the power, so the decision is really only about the level of fee to accept.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

There seems to be a lot of anger about the club’s “decision” here.

Yet surely we all know that once a player decides to move on, the clubs have little leverage any more. Yes, you can refuse to sell in theory, but that leaves you with a disincentivised player who can be forced to play, but not to play well.

The players have all the power, so the decision is really only about the level of fee to accept.

As I intonated if you listen to the McGregor recap on Aden's move he says City were somewhat encouraging a move. How strong that was we likely will never know. 

Not good at all.

I wish Gary had given his son a video on ‘What Makes a Brilliant Centre-Back’ rather than Grass Measuring device for Xmas.

Given we will not get anything similar to the 3-in-1 player that Flint was, realistically we are now going to have to buy a commanding centre-back who can tackle, head and ping long balls around, an attacking midfielder who will score around 15 goals per season (10 you would expect plus 5 to compensate for Flint) and a 25 goal attacker (20 you expect and another 5 to cover Flint).

One of those players needs to be a leader and captain, all three need to be supremely disciplined fighters and 110% players. They also need to be injury free with great mental attitude and focus. 

No more punts, ones for the future, foreign mercenaries. Just hard core, proven Championship standard players. 

Good luck Flinty. While LJ/MA may be blind to your talents - ala Cunningham, Freeman Ayling - at least some fans here recognised you as one of the best players to grace Ashton Gate. 

Archived