IGNORED

Goodbye Bobby Reid - signed for Cardiff now official

JasonM88

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I agree however the real concern has to be around the quality of those replacements.

If , as looks likely, Bob goes and is then followed by Joe, that is 3 guaranteed starters that need to be replaced.

I have little faith that we will recruit at the same level of quality nor will we spend the money needed to do so.

It is also a concern that these players would appear to want to leave, yes money will be a factor but equally ambition, and I strongly suspect they see their personal ambitions as more likely to be met elsewhere. 

IF that is the case, and I am mostly certainly not ITK , that would be of much greater concern.

The next few weeks will tell us a lot about the clubs true level of ambition.

If we go up it will be paying limited wages, and to either foreign players and/or lower league players who we don't mind paying a decent fee or compo for. I'm fine with that, however the players can so easily have their head turned by joining a club like Cardiff who will ultimately be able to offer huge wage increases and a more realistic pop at plying their trade at the top level. All of the time more clubs swell the championship with their parachute payments, thus creating further distance to our premiership dream (If we have one).......

The nihilist in me thinks, maybe we are fine "treading water" at this level, selling players for profit where we can, averaging 20k at home, with a cup run here and there to keep the fans entertained. Then when we finally have the opportunity to further extend the capacity of the stadium (in due time before England 2030), thus creating more income, maybe then we will pull the stops out and go all for it, 6-8 seasons. All guess work but it'd be nice to be a premier league club by 2030 :laugh:!!!

16 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

20 million. maybe 8 or 9 for Bryan. we should be able to get some real quality in with all this money. the question i ask is lee the right man to spend it. 

Bryan going would be a disaster at this juncture. 

Confirmed by Monday, I expect.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I didn't say it was! You were clearly making the connection between outlay and income in your post, when Ashton was not responsible for the transfer outlay. That is all I am pointing out. To get a true feel of his worth we need to see how his investments turn out imo...

Yes that’s true. However we all know that in the past, we have not achieved what we could/should have got in terms of selling income and at least now we are getting proper money for our players. 

I am, I admit, standing up for him on the assumption that we are very close to agreeing deals for first team ready replacements for these first team detartures. 

IF we sign (the likes of) Marriott & Webster in the next week and have £10 million profit from the dealings, then I’ll be content and say that MA is conducting his business very well. 

17 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

20 million. maybe 8 or 9 for Bryan. we should be able to get some real quality in with all this money. the question i ask is lee the right man to spend it. 

The question I’d be asking is will the money be available to spend in the first place.

Dividend for the investor?

Steve Lansdown did imply in the end of season radio Bristol interview that we would need to do more ( finish higher) with less (players being sold), well that’s come to fruition as I can’t imagine we will be spending like for like money on like for like players.

Didnt Lee also say something about it being a window that might upset people ( or something like that) implying we would be losing a fans favourite. Yup, right again.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Steve Lansdown did imply in the end of season radio Bristol interview that we would need to do more ( finish higher) with less (players being sold), well that’s come to fruition as I can’t imagine we will be spending like for like money on like for like players.

Didnt Lee also say something about it being a window that might upset people ( or something like that) implying we would be losing a fans favourite. Yup, right again.

At least we know that the people in charge knew this was likely to happen, it just remains to be seen what is going to be done to give us overall improvement.

16 minutes ago, Olé said:

I'm all for "business is business" as that's the environment I work in too. But to pick up two themes on this thread (as you know City will use them too):

1. It's £2m more than the £8m that others were offering - I'd be prepared to swallow that if it wasn't coming from a club who has routinely spunked that sort of difference on Engvall. Or Eliasson. Or Moore. If you can afford to keep wasting that sort of money you can afford to not send our best player to our biggest rivals.

2. At least he's not going to a Championship side - at the same time we're selling Flint to Middlesbrough. Thanks for that.

I'm all for business-minded decision making but this is always going to be a monster kick in the teeth - for me there's nothing the club can say to dress that up as "business", which doesn't contradict wildly with how indiscriminately they "handle" all their other business.

Do you think we’re breaking even on the wasted money: engvall, Eliasson, Moore, Walsh, Pisano, Hegeler and the cost of all the terrible loan signings and go nowhere “ones for the future”? (There must be more names but that’s off the top of my head...). 

I reckon LJ & MA must be about breaking even.... possibly a little in credit but it’s taking the sale of our best players to get there. 

Our recruitment needs to get stacks better to avoid a struggle next season. I’ll be interested to see whether the age profile of signings goes up.... Watkins suggests it might BUT we need to not end up just signing similar sized club’s cast offs... tricky. 

Bristol City are set to move for Peterborough striker Jack Marriottwith Bobby Reid set to leave for Cardiff in a £10m deal, according to the Bristol Post.

Marriott, who scored 33 goals for the Posh last season, was made available for transfer at the end of the campaign.

We all knew Bobby Flint and Bryan would most likely leave so why the outcry now they are leaving? 

Personally I’m pleased we are shifting a few on and making some serious money on them, the last two seasons we have had bad spells and these players have been corner stones during the bad spells. It’s time to freshen up our team.

What a cracking 24 hours to be a City fan. 

I totally get the commercial side of the Reid deal, and that he wants to play in the Premier League, but the tribal football fan in me is furious.

How could he sign for them, of all clubs? For me it’s just another depressing example of there being no loyalty or emotional attachment in modern football. Bob will do anything to further his career after 20 years or whatever it is..... very sad but understandable I guess. Money talks  

And the thought of who Ashton and Johnson will conjure up to replace the two of them is terrifying. It’s really hard to be optimistic about next season right now. 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

We all knew Bobby Flint and Bryan would most likely leave so why the outcry now they are leaving? 

Personally I’m pleased we are shifting a few on and making some serious money on them, the last two seasons we have had bad spells and these players have been corner stones during the bad spells. It’s time to freshen up our team.

Interesting it's the last of Cott's promotion winning team

Have new signings struggled to gel with this core of players, or maybe these players are not paid as well as those being brought in around them?

13 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I totally get the commercial side of the Reid deal, and that he wants to play in the Premier League, but the tribal football fan in me is furious.

How could he sign for them, of all clubs? For me it’s just another depressing example of there being no loyalty or emotional attachment in modern football. Bob will do anything to further his career after 20 years or whatever it is..... very sad but understandable I guess. Money talks  

And the thought of who Ashton and Johnson will conjure up to replace the two of them is terrifying. It’s really hard to be optimistic about next season right now. 

They are a Premier league team?

1 minute ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

I personally think that BR will have a bad season with Cardiff in the premiership as did Tammy with Swansea. Bad choice of club by Bobby. Then again money talks. 

I doubt he will play much anyway, more of a squad player for Cardiff.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

What does Cardiff's football really need? Lungs and legs. Bobby Reid gets around that pitch at speed and has a aerobic endurance that is A+. For a team wanting to go long and hit runners in behind he is as good as it gets in the championship and out of possession he works as hard as any. 

Flint to Boro. Managers knowing what they want and buying to fit the style. Then theres Lee Johnson!!!!!

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting it's the last of Cott's promotion winning team

Have new signings struggled to gel with this core of players, or maybe these players are not paid as well as those being brought in around them?

Bottom line is its all about the money, we can get whoever we want but not at the pound shop; we need a billion percent improvement on the last windows effort to still be in this division next season.

17 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I’d worry about who MA and LJ will conjure up..... 

admittedly there have been some reasonable signings: Baker, Taylor, O’Dowda, Famara...

but you could have a dream 11 like this:

Giefer

pisano

moore

hegeler

Magnússon

kent

walsh

o’neill

eliasson

diony

engvall

The signing strike rate needs to get much much better.

hopefully some signings are already in the bag (before clubs realise how much money we have generated).

21 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Hit the nail on the head there mate.

£10m sounds steep and it's probably a good deal, but Cardiff? Anywhere but Cardiff.

20 minutes ago, Jacki said:

How very fortunate that tribal football fans don’t run football clubs. Emotion has no place.

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I’d worry about who MA and LJ will conjure up..... 

admittedly there have been some reasonable signings: Baker, Taylor, O’Dowda, Famara...

but you could have a dream 11 like this:

Giefer

pisano

moore

hegeler

Magnússon

kent

walsh

o’neill

eliasson

diony

engvall

The signing strike rate needs to get much much better.

hopefully some signings are already in the bag (before clubs realise how much money we have generated).

Jesus Christ what a team of melons that would be. Would honestly be interested in seeing how they'd play 

34 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes that’s true. However we all know that in the past, we have not achieved what we could/should have got in terms of selling income and at least now we are getting proper money for our players. 

I am, I admit, standing up for him on the assumption that we are very close to agreeing deals for first team ready replacements for these first team detartures. 

IF we sign (the likes of) Marriott & Webster in the next week and have £10 million profit from the dealings, then I’ll be content and say that MA is conducting his business very well. 

Well, the proof of that will be in if Marriott and Webster either a) take us onto the next level or b) make us a profit.  The actual numbers of £10m for Reid and £6.5m for Marriott are just proportionate transfer fees. 

1 hour ago, CitySSeven said:

In my opinion, I don't think you can compare our (apparent) Failure to Southampton's Failure. Purely due to the fact that what got them to the Premier League in the first place was growing and selling players. I don't think it's worked at Southampton as they can't keep hold of a manager. Having said that my confidence of us buying experienced players at this level is not very high. We'll probably be buying players from lower leagues or abroad. I'm afraid that I think we're in the place of SL doing what he can to make the club self sufficient, not caring what happens to the football. 

I agree with it being how it got them there, it's also been what's brought them back down.
All in all it comes to a balancing act, it's fine when you're selling one key player a season if you've got 3-4, however the second you start selling 3-4 key players and the replacements aren't up to the task you start seeing a rapid decline. 

I do agree about SL though, I do think he cares about the football but at the same time he's now more about the business side due to the losses. I worry that after this pre-season that if our recruitment and preparation hasn't been up to scratch that we may very well find ourselves in a relegation battle rather than anywhere higher.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

They are a Premier league team?

Exactly. Premier League and location. Location and Premier League, oh and a pay rise to boot. Yes you got to work under Warnock, but even he could be gone in a few months. Linking up with Cunningham too, not sure that’s a positive mind but it’s a familiar face. Completely understand why he is moving, more so than the Flint move which must be purely money.

20 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

Hopefully Djuric and Taylor will be fully fit and have a decent pre season behind them, but I do really think we need another one in. 

Just been strongly linked with Marriott I am reading

Archived