IGNORED

Goodbye Bobby Reid - signed for Cardiff now official

JasonM88

As with everything there’s two sides to this and I think they’ve been summed up pretty well...

For Bobby, it’s a chance to play in the Premier League. Cardiff might get relegated, but they might not. There’s no guarantee West Brom will bounce back, and they’re the only other side definitely in for him I think? It’s a risk but one good season at the Lego stadium and it could make him.

For City... £10m is a lot of money. It’s difficult to turn that down, as that’s probably above his market value and we will lose him for zilch in a year. We don’t know if he’s asked to leave, but it is certainly the least ambitious of all the outcomes, and a mile away from taking that risk that we could get promoted with his goals next season, and convince him to sign a new deal on the back of it. That’s a long shot though, granted. There’s nothing we can do about it now, but like others have said it’s a bitter pill to swallow on how bad we capitulated last season, when unfancied Cardiff were busy getting promoted...

1 hour ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Not sure that he is really a Warnock type player.....then I guess that Tomlin wasnt either

If you read Neil Warnock’s autobiography then you’d know that Tomlin was exactly Warnock’s type of player. Unfortunately, Warnock’s usual magic couldn’t work on Tomlin.

55 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Would be a damning indictment to see our star player play for Cardiff in the Premier League, even if people here are trying to brush it off. Tomlin was different- he was a nob and underperformed. Having a Bristol boy- 'one of our own' at one of our biggest rivals shows how badly we actually flopped last season, and how important next season is. If this is true it puts more serious pressure to get the recruitment right, which I honestly don't think they will. How can they claim to be so outstanding at recruitment when you pass up on Ollie Watkins down the road as 'too expensive' when we spunk more on players abroad who don't even look like they will be successful transfers? We are going to have to do much better to match the likes of Brentford and Preston.

Flint - Tick

Reid - Tick

Bryan - ?

Pack - ?

I couldn’t get evens at the bookies for that lot!!!!

Everyone with half a brain knew that as soon as the season was over it would be SELL SELL SELL for City.

Is anyone still buying the ‘building for the future’ horseshit now?

Have Barnsley got anyone left for us to buy? They were selling everyone and went down last season.

Foreign punts on the horizon. You heard it here first.

Get the money in.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

He’s hugely unselfish and does a lot of grunt work. I’d love to see him get a full season alongside a true poacher who can exploit the space he creates. 

Think his composure is the main thing. A pre season against lower league opposition and scoring like Reid had and his confidence will come back. One thing with Johnson is that he can certainly get the best out of strikers. 

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

All these one good season comments. Do people seriously think he wouldn't be that good next season? Is mo salah not amazing because he has only just turned amazing over the last year? Bobby is top quality and would be amazed if he turns out to be a one season wonder. 

Could easily go either way.

Depends how big an influence LJ was and how much the comfort zone of BCFC was important to his, so far, one off successful season.

There will be no comfort zone for Bobby under Warnock and no 'he's one of our own' patience from Cardiff fans.

Warnock will put his arms round him when necessary but Bobby will still be shouted and ranted at by Colin in a way he's probably never experienced before and Cardiff fans will expect an immediate impact from a 10m signing.

The pressure will be well and truly on Bobby if he goes there, both on his playing ability and strength of character, so hard to say whether he'd blossom or crumble.

If we are replacing Reid with Taylor, and Flint with Heggelar then I despair....

It wouldn't surprise me to see City go out and spend 5mil on each position, although Reid wont be directly replaced as Pato will take that role and we will look to sign a nippy striker to compliment Fammy.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Could easily go either way.

Depends how big an influence LJ was and how much the comfort zone of BCFC was important to his, so far, one off successful season.

There will be no comfort zone for Bobby under Warnock and no 'he's one of our own' patience from Cardiff fans.

Warnock will put his arms round him when necessary but Bobby will still be shouted and ranted at by Colin in a way he's probably never experienced before and Cardiff fans will expect an immediate impact from a 10m signing.

The pressure will be well and truly on Bobby if he goes there, both on his playing ability and strength of character, so hard to say whether he'd blossom or crumble.

Especially one from BCFC and especially after Tomlin.

I do really think that when Taylor arrived he changed our game for the better that season and was really key to helping us stay up. Bobby I think actually continued what Taylor brought into the team but with even greater fitness and higher workrate.

He's extremely unselfish, sometimes to his own and teams detriment though. He always looks for which might have the easier opportunity. I'm hoping his injury issues have gone and he can get a proper pre season in. 

Just now, Keepers Ball said:

If this happens then it goes to show how much the club thinks of its own fans. 

That rivalry with Cardiff and yet Lansdown and Co are happy to go with it? And Reid himself?

Sorry but a complete kick in the teeth as far as I'm concerned

Business is business. If Derby and WBA were only offering 8m and Cardiff offer 10m - who are we going to accept?

40 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

In the last 24 hours we have sold 30 goals, very hard to replace that. Next season is going to be a struggle

I agree that replacing the goals is not easy, but we have been managing it year on year for a while now.

Abraham, Kodjia, Wilbraham and Baldock were our previous top scorers (all with 20 goals or upwards) and each has been replaced. 

I'm not saying it will be easy, but it is possible. 

Also, Diedhiou's rate of scoring was better last season than Reid's, so if he is fit all season that may help. We will need others to chip in of course.

33 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

10m isn't bad for a player out of contract next year. Got a feeling we could see Matty Taylor filling the gap left by Reid next season. Similar busy type of player, lots of running and closing down. 

just not as good at it.

Seeing it on BBC gives me a sinking feeling. £10m would be very good business with 1 year remaining and 1 very good season under his belt. Lets hope we get some signings soon.

Cardiff City are close to signing Bristol City forward Bobby Reid.

It is understood the Premier League club have made an offer of around £9m for the 25-year-old, who has one year remaining on his Robins contract.

I'm all for "business is business" as that's the environment I work in too. But to pick up two themes on this thread (as you know City will use them too):

1. It's £2m more than the £8m that others were offering - I'd be prepared to swallow that if it wasn't coming from a club who has routinely spunked that sort of difference on Engvall. Or Eliasson. Or Moore. If you can afford to keep wasting that sort of money you can afford to not send our best player to our biggest rivals.

2. At least he's not going to a Championship side - at the same time we're selling Flint to Middlesbrough. Thanks for that.

I'm all for business-minded decision making but this is always going to be a monster kick in the teeth - for me there's nothing the club can say to dress that up as "business", which doesn't contradict wildly with how indiscriminately they "handle" all their other business.

Archived