IGNORED

England v Belgium what would you do?

daored

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Can’t work out whether we are being very cunning and performing like 11 strangers or our quality in our back up is a bit thin - and we won’t really find out about our first 11 until Columbia

really hope your right and this is a Baldrick's cunning plan, but having watched that if it was they all deserve Oscars for that performance.

The other benefits from finishing second 

We play in Moscow and not Rostov in last 16 which is a temperature difference (cooler) of 12-15 degrees

and means we are likely to get a bit more last minute support as Moscow is obviously much ‘simpler’ to try and get too than Rostov 

Southgate will now start to feel some pressure as England are short priced (relatively) favs to get to the semi finals. How he deals with that will have a bearing on his England career. Plus the players will feel the weight of expectation. I think he'd of liked to have won the group. Faced Japan then a game to nothing against Brazil. Lose " well of course we did it was Brazil", win and a place in history. Brazil don't look unbeatable by any means. 

Strange one, cant say our 2nd team have done anything to push for a starting 11 place  against Columbia but I think it was a master stroke by Southgate, I really do think we played for this (dangerous i know). We can beat Columbia, I fully respect them but they haven't played particularly well.

We have fresh legs for the game, the future games (should they occur) will be relatively local (for Russia) and we get an extra day too.

Having said all that, if we lose Tuesday we will look like a bunch of cocks. Happy Friday everyone. 

23 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Pretty disappointing to see two sides playing their B teams at the World Cup. Neither of them really know where they are now having not played anyone of note.

It wasn’t great was it. Very strange game and a bit of a kick in the teeth for all the fans that have paid a hell of a lot in time and money to go there. But there are a lot of pluses also. Colombia were a few minutes from not qualifying in a pretty weak group and so we have to fancy our chances and then if we qualify (big if and certainly not a given) we’re in clover playing one of Switzerland or Sweden to get to a World Cup semi. You really couldn’t plan it any better at this stage. Martinez’s ‘celebration’ said it all to me. He didn’t want to win. Big pressure on Southgate now though having made those calls. Going to be interesting! 

One thing we can definitively say about last night's embarrassment is that no one who hasn't featured in Southgate's preferred starting XI has done anything to stake a place. In fact if I was Eric Dier I'd get the plane home now. the only way he'll feature again is if there's a bubonic plague outbreak.

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

One thing we can definitively say about last night's embarrassment is that no one who hasn't featured in Southgate's preferred starting XI has done anything to stake a place. In fact if I was Eric Dier I'd get the plane home now. the only way he'll feature again is if there's a bubonic plague outbreak.

Fabian Delph actually is getting the plane home now.

His wife's having a baby so it's slightly different but could send Dier with him? :laughcont:

2 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Fabian Delph actually is getting the plane home now.

His wife's having a baby so it's slightly different but could send Dier with him? :laughcont:

Or play the newborn? He'd probably have more defensive presence!  :laughcont:

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The funny thing the performance last night was what England had been like in the past recent tournaments, thank goodness we have the A Team to bring back for Tuesday

Colombia were excellent v Poland tbh, looked to have strength in all areas- creativity, strong at the back, goals- would be dangerous to assume (not that I think anyone on here does) that we'll just turn up and win or similar.

As for last night, was always going to be an odd game with so many changes and the uncertainty about the best route. That Rashford miss though...

Finding a lot of journalists very frustrating to read this morning.
They were all talking about "finishing 2nd is the best option. England should rest players to ensure no injuries and go into the easier half of the draw".
Now they're like "Huge mistake by Southgate as England lose momentum"
They can't win can they?

21 minutes ago, AberRed said:

Finding a lot of journalists very frustrating to read this morning.
They were all talking about "finishing 2nd is the best option. England should rest players to ensure no injuries and go into the easier half of the draw".
Now they're like "Huge mistake by Southgate as England lose momentum"
They can't win can they?

That's the other problem with playing the B team. Whatever England do your meeja will find a way to hammer them. If you now lose to Colombia, or in the quarters to Switzerland/Sweden, the whole squad and coaching team are going to be portrayed as the biggest morons in the world in most of your papers. The same papers that have been saying that your team is useless and have no chance for the last few years at least!

3 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

That's the other problem with playing the B team. Whatever England do your meeja will find a way to hammer them. If you now lose to Colombia, or in the quarters to Switzerland/Sweden, the whole squad and coaching team are going to be portrayed as the biggest morons in the world in most of your papers. The same papers that have been saying that your team is useless and have no chance for the last few years at least!

True. And had we won yesterday but lost to Japan/Brazil/Mexico, the media would've hammered them for 'not finishing 2nd, which was obvious! duh!'
I don't envy Gareth Southgate's job.

1 minute ago, AberRed said:

True. And had we won yesterday but lost to Japan/Brazil/Mexico, the media would've hammered them for 'not finishing 2nd, which was obvious! duh!'
I don't envy Gareth Southgate's job.

Yes. Short of winning every game they play, they can't do anything right. It's a bizarre toxic approach from your meeja. It's almost like they don't want them to do well...

Just now, MichaelRobartes said:

Yes. Short of winning every game they play, they can't do anything right. It's a bizarre toxic approach from your meeja. It's almost like they don't want them to do well...

Negativity sells unfortunately. Fact of life in the media over here. 

Not too unhappy with this at all. Not great to watch last night, but we've rested our better players, sensible, no more injuries or suspensions. Some that could come in useful (Vardy) got a game under their belt, Pickford warmed his hands up a bit.

We still look a bit raw. However, over the 3 games, I've seen some effective set plays, some pace, some ability to go past people and some ability to hold on to the ball. A big improvement on the last 5 or 6 tournaments we've be involved in. If we play badly enough to lose against Columbia, I think we'd have lost to Japan. We now have a real chance of getting to the semi finals, then who knows.

1 minute ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Personally I'm delighted.

During this cosmopolitan sportsfest it is essential to sample the opposition specialities.

For the Tunisia game we gorged on Lablabi, whilst last Sunday we sported Panama hats.

Last evening saw beer, chocolate and lace.

Any ideas for Tuesday?

Coffee? :whistle:

6 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

During this cosmopolitan sportsfest it is essential to sample the opposition specialities.

For the Tunisia game we gorged on Lablabi, whilst last Sunday we sported Panama hats.

Any ideas for Tuesday?

Columbian marching powder. 

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Any ideas for Tuesday?

Bandeja Paisa is a really nice dish

Archived