IGNORED

England v Belgium what would you do?

daored

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

..and it changes again.

According to the commentators in the Columbia Game as it stands Senegal are going out

According to the commentators on Japan  game , as it stands Japan are going out

:laughcont:

(My understanding is Senegal are out as it stands)

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Play for the draw. Make sure we pick up loads of yellows to ensure we finish second. 

Ditto

keep the unbeaten run going, try and win on bookings - could be quite comical if we need to get a yellow or red in the last few minutes?

Another farcical rule from FIFA 

Go for the win. Get some fringe players some game time so they're match sharp and maintain momentum. 

Belgium have loads of "injury" niggles. De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku, Vertongen, Mertens all out according to Martinez. 

Wonder if they'll miraculously recover now the winner meets Japan. 

2 minutes ago, The Enormous Turnip said:

Rumoured we’re making 8 changes - 

Pickford

Jones - Stones - Cahill

Trent - Delph - Dier - Lingard - Rose

Rashford - Vardy

Still quite like the look of that team apart from Jones.

9 minutes ago, The Enormous Turnip said:

Rumoured we’re making 8 changes - 

Pickford

Jones - Stones - Cahill

Trent - Delph - Dier - Lingard - Rose

Rashford - Vardy

Awful lot of changes to make when it’s in our interests to win the group (when considering the L16 tie)

All very well playing for the easier QF but you’ve got to get there first! 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Give some of the second string players a game and play to win.

Win, we keep momentum and confidence and have freshened up a few key players. Yes it’s a tougher side of the draw, but if you want to win a World Cup you have to have momentum and beat big teams along the way.

Lose and come second, fine, it’s the ‘easier’ side of the draw and travel benefits etc, but for me, this World Cup is setting itself up to be a year of the underdog. Plenty have shown there are no easy games.

Eitherway, I’d rather we go out vs. Brazil or France trying to win every game, than lose in the last 16 to Japan having thrown the Belgium game. 

The 33-1 for Croatia now looks a good tickle...

Just play well, try to win, a fraw would be fine. Keep the momentum going and make a couple of changed to keep players fresh.

Whether we finish top or second is not a big deal.  Even if the quartes and semis may be easier, we still need to get through the round of 16 and will meet the best team in the final if we get there.

5 hours ago, daored said:

England v Belgium tonight both have qualified. Looks like both teams are going to make changes, would you ? Whoever finishes top potentially has a slightly easier looking run into semi finals. 

I would keep the back three , think they need game together.

Would play Alexander-Arnold and Rose as wingbacks , Dier instead of Henderson, Welbeck and Rashford for Sterling and Lingard. Would play Kane but only as got him as top goal scorer !!

not looking so good further down the line finishing top now though, it's a dilemma to know what to do, just win them all I say see easy.

I think you have to play for the win. Having said that I guess my ideal would be a high scoring draw in which we look good - maybe even some late goals so it almost feels like a win. Then getting one more yellow than Belguim and coming second in the group by a drawing of lots.  Wouldn't really feel like we lost the group, would keep us with momentum and puts us on what is objectively the better side of the draw.

19 minutes ago, pillred said:

not looking so good further down the line finishing top now though, it's a dilemma to know what to do, just win them all I say see easy.

Why not? On current form I see no reason why we shouldn’t beat the likes of Brazil, if they ofcourse can get by Mexico which is by no means guaranteed. Further down the track I’d be much more worried about Croatia. 

12 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why not? On current form I see no reason why we shouldn’t beat the likes of Brazil, if they ofcourse can get by Mexico which is by no means guaranteed. Further down the track I’d be much more worried about Croatia. 

Brazil are a bit better than Panama and Tunisia!

Archived