IGNORED

Welcome Jack Hunt - Now officially signed

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Welcome

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 10.33.05.png

29 minutes ago, INCRED said:

CAC2AFF7-0E06-462E-BC58-BA80DA484887.png

I like the look of him - grimly determined, no frills, no smiles, take no prisoners, mind firmly fixed on making a success of the job ahead.

Welcome to Ashton Gate Jack. 

29 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Deal done. Pic on the OS showing off some bad tattoos and a Rolex Daytona. 

I'm really impressed with this. That looks like a stainless steel Rolex daytona,as you rightly say. They are as rare, as rocking horse shit. I'm a milgauss man myself. Rolex watches aside, I'm happy with this signing, and he will ad alot more experience to the squad, and looks to offer alot more pace and trickery. Just hope he can last more than 30 games a season. Welcome Jack hunt to Ashton gate. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So I’ve got this clear .....

The good signings are Lees

The failures and disasters are Ashton’s....

Is that it 

:juggle:

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. Come come now Bob Bob. 

Bob does make a fairly valid point tho Harry. .. Conveniently exonerating Lee in your piece there. Perhaps you are slyly being fed disinfornation. 

32 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Maybe only had the junior shirt in stock, the one with Robins on. Covered it nicely in that case, new stock due in soon ? :thumbsup:

Cheered up a bit later .... 

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 10.38.57.png

Still has it in for the sponsor though; i like the guy already.

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think Harry is saying that at all Bob.

Not having the way and extent it’s being sold by many on here Dave

Anyone who was at the q & a when Lee couldn’t stop talking and gushing about their recruitment process , his role in it all and the software used , might also think otherwise

Elliasson for example was a LJ instigated and fuelled signing %100 and he was keen to say so as at that point he clearly thought he’d unearthed a diamond

Im no fan of Ashton and undoubtedly I believe he may have too much input but to blame him and absolve Lee Johnson is complete nonsense  IMHO

I prefer our general recruitment policy more this summer and it may be they ALL Realise that some of the foreign recruitment was    naive, and shocking , on occasions , to say the least 

A good player with a lot of pace, my only worry is he had a couple of knee injury last year, is this Sheffield getting rid incase he breaks down again, 

Fingers crossed he's over it and dose well for us, the SW forum seam sad to see him go always a good sign, looks like he's one of those guys who always give 100%, could be good for us 

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not having the way and extent it’s being sold by many on here Dave

Anyone who was at the q & a when Lee couldn’t stop talking and gushing about their recruitment process , his role in it all and the software used , might also think otherwise

Elliasson for example was a LJ instigated and fuelled signing %100 and he was keen to say so as at that point he clearly thought he’d unearthed a diamond

Im no fan of Ashton and undoubtedly I believe he may have too much input but to blame him and absolve Lee Johnson is complete nonsense  IMHO

I prefer our general recruitment policy more this summer and it may be they ALL Realise that some of the foreign recruitment was    naive, and shocking , on occasions , to say the least 

Wasn't it after that Q&A that you made a really long post detailing exactly what was said regarding the recruitment process, as well as other matters?

Could you find it and put the most relevant parts up again? :dunno:

So the consensus on Owlstalk is that he is quick and energetic, without an end product and fragile.

Better as a wingback as he can't defend.

They feel the fee wasn't high enough as they bought him from the Prem on high wages.

All that being said he was their best Right back , which according to many of them wasn't saying much .

We will see .

A fresh start for the lad , a bit of love and coaching and a solid injury free season could make him a steal for us .

38 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Well, we've got an unprecedented pot of cash from outgoings and several first team positions that require immediate filling by Championship ready players. That may not be the whole story but to me would go a long way to explaining the evident change in policy.

Hi Harry, I suppose it's what exactly is meant by 'more control' and how it shows itself in practice, and I can see the sense in your earlier explanation.

We know LJ has said he puts names forward to the list, that he watches targets personally, and, he says, he always has the final say.

The way you describe the analysts input above, and how it may have altered to working after specific targets have been identified by LJ and others rather than targets often being identified through stats makes the utmost sense and you wonder, if it has changed, why it hasn't always been that way. If this is where LJ has recently asserted himself, and MA and the analysts has taken more of a back seat early in the process, that sounds all well and good.

Of course, with the money we now have burning a hole in the club's pocket it may be that less risky targets like Weimann/Watkins/Hunt, are more available to us now anyway (and needed urgently for the first team) whereas before we had a reasonably strong first 11 and we were often padding out the squad with potential future replacements for these very players - some now gone - and those type of signings carry more risk than the current ones.

When I go on about LJ's words that he has the final say it is not meant to be a criticism or a stick to beat him with - unless he's making it up because I'd find that annoying - but if he truly does then he must take both the credit for the successful signings as well as the brickbats for the odd duffer, which is probably as he would want it and how it should be. 

From what you say, with your reasonable explanation of 'more control' we appear in a far better place behind the scenes to make successful signings of the more proven type we are currently making, and obviously having the cash to get several ready made Championship standard players will also have played a part in what appears to be a very positive tweak in strategy.

Good post Nogs

As for the highlighted bit

Me too

I have the impression we  got carried away with software and analysts and not enough

watching a player eyes on and using your eyes brain and gut instinct

No doubt analysts have a place but if I was LJ I’d be signing players because I’ve watched them in the process and I like what they offer , with stats that support or otherwise

25 minutes ago, Arkateee said:

I'm really impressed with this. That looks like a stainless steel Rolex daytona,as you rightly say. They are as rare, as rocking horse shit. I'm a milgauss man myself. Rolex watches aside, I'm happy with this signing, and he will ad alot more experience to the squad, and looks to offer alot more pace and trickery. Just hope he can last more than 30 games a season. Welcome Jack hunt to Ashton gate. 

Stainless steel indeed, and with the ceramic bezel - they really are rare. 

5 minutes ago, winsaw said:

A good player with a lot of pace, my only worry is he had a couple of knee injury last year, is this Sheffield getting rid incase he breaks down again, 

Fingers crossed he's over it and dose well for us, the SW forum seam sad to see him go always a good sign, looks like he's one of those guys who always give 100%, could be good for us 

Well the majority of Sheff Weds fans are gutted to see him go, also he passed the Medical, meaning the club are happy with his current health state. 

Great signing. GK Next please 

I don’t think it’s that bad we seemed to have changed transfer target focus whoever’s ‘fault’ it was over the last two years.

If it has always been LJ maybe he has realised that picking up gems is harder than it seems and with losing 2 consistent performers out of the team so far, he needs to buy people who are more likely to be consistent as they are less of a risk.

Id say this was good as it will show LJ is not stubborn and will change his tactics/behaviours depending on what is best for the team/club.

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

So the consensus on Owlstalk is that he is quick and energetic, without an end product and fragile.

Better as a wingback as he can't defend.

They feel the fee wasn't high enough as they bought him from the Prem on high wages.

All that being said he was their best Right back , which according to many of them wasn't saying much .

We will see .

A fresh start for the lad , a bit of love and coaching and a solid injury free season could make him a steal for us .

It would be good if we could get back to the situation we had up to November last year, where LJ was basically playing a different team midweek to the one on the weekend. That would take a lot of pressure off of any players with injury concerns.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

:thumbsup:

To save those that don’t want to read the thread (Some interesting stuff when you look back now about all sorts of things , plans and processes)

Here is one part which seems highly relevant but there are a number of other quotes and statements from MA and LJ on the. Recruitment process

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ccc

MA said he's not involved in talent ID / recruitment , that there was a team of people involved , with the final decision Lees , and the finances sat with him (MA) through to the board and SL and that contract negotiations were also his (MAs) responsibility and that ultimately they work as a team......

LJ then asked for some slides to be shown , from software called StatsBomb that they use & explained they can input their requirements for a particular position and all the aorta stats get analysed and said he would explain how they identified and recruited Nicholas Eliasson 

LJ explained that he was sat in bed in his lap top , looking for a Knockaert type player who he had wide right in his chosen Championship eleven

The software they use will look at Knockhart and throw up similar players (Totally football manager like) in a list with name, age, club, etc

(through the process Lee was pointing out the list that resulted and the comparative data / stats on StatsBomb and explaining what they actually mean e.g. A 'successful' dribble means he's gone past an opponent and 'delivered a chance'

Using Knockaert attributes up came (amongst a list of players in the last five years in any league in the world from their top two divisions, incl players at top European Clubs and way out our league - Robben , Pedro , Isco !!!! ) was Eliasson ( And interestingly Jamie Patterson)

Lee explains he then uses WyScout Software to call up 7-10 mins or so clips of Eliasson 

Liked what he saw, got the analysts to look at him - They go through a minimum of 15 games analysing and clipping every touch and off ball movement and they produced a Pack and said they liked the player

said for every one they like / try and sign there's probably 90 that they’ve considered and dismissed for various reasons

They then give this to Lee who consulted JM / DH etc

Lee , JM and DH all liked the look of him and LJ contacts Mervin Day to get 'eyes on'

All agree with LJ , LJ gets Eliasson watched in person five or six times , incl by himself 

Initial queries made about availability / price / would player be interested and the all the reports and opinions and the final decision, (except finances) comes back to Lee

LJ explained NE is a risk as all signings but that due diligence incl social media , does he go out , does he have a girlfriend etc are all covered

Said that they will have four or five options in each position and a final decision is made on ability , availability etc and ultimately they felt the 'risk' was worth taking 'because of his outstanding attributes' and recognises he has weaknesses in his game as well which they need to work on and develop

said that if NE had no defects in his game we wouldn't have him / get him

said that he's has cost us two goals by losing his runner but has been delighted with him in training with his quick feet, quick , can finish and goes past Joe Bryan 'which is hard to do' and is a dilemma right at this stage (Attributes v weaknesses) can he 'risk' him in Championship as the tempo of Swedish  League is vastly different to Championship

Described Eliasson as a 'Fantastic Kid ' and a 'coaches dream' as he absorbs information 'like a sponge'

4 minutes ago, grifty said:

I don’t think it’s that bad we seemed to have changed transfer target focus whoever’s ‘fault’ it was over the last two years.

If it has always been LJ maybe he has realised that picking up gems is harder than it seems and with losing 2 consistent performers out of the team so far, he needs to buy people who are more likely to be consistent as they are less of a risk.

Id say this was good as it will show LJ is not stubborn and will change his tactics/behaviours depending on what is best for the team/club.

People always seem so desperate to apportion blame to someone or something, when the likely reality is that there were multiple failures at various levels in the (minority) of transfers which can accurately be deemed a failure. 

Show me a club that gets every bit of recruitment right? Even Alex Ferguson in his (excellent read) autobiography admits to making several mistakes regarding recruitment. 

Archived