IGNORED

Mo Eisa - NOW OFFICIALLY SIGNED (merged)

GrahamC

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree with these posts gents , and in Championship you have little chance running with 13/14 players

but have a nagging concern that our biggest problems have been when Lee has had a number of ‘options’ and loves to tweak and fiddle

I hope he doesn’t change continually 

Your last bit is my fear. Though at the same time don’t think ge has ever had the quality in numbers. A genuine 18-20 players who could start any given match. Just feel during a poor stretch the same “tombola” comments will arrive. All good we say rotate is fine now. Lets see how it plays out in the middle of November. 

If it were me I’d have identified my best 15-16 and use those for the majority of matches(11 + 3 subs). Everyone else would have to fight for minutes. 

Has been brought up that rotating will probably be a positive for the wingers and central midfielders. They ran their socks of last season and would be tough to ask them to do the same again this season. 

On 24/07/2018 at 00:14, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not missing your point at all and I don’t know why you’re getting so assy with BTRFtG and now  me

I didn’t see Eisa 3 years ago and nor did you. as a starting point not many players make a jump from Isthmian Leaguebinto League Football so that alone makes it not an unreasonable judgement 

Add to which Eisa Had a decent strike rate in lower Non League , but nothing like a Vardy It again suggests that the judgement at the time was not unreasonable but you’ve decided that hindsight proved it was a rubbish opinion at that time - bizarre

Eisa has clearly done very well and the credit should go to whoever at Cheltenham spotted him and thought he could make it in the League

I

I can help on this.

It was none other than Uncle Pete. So this is the complete and ultimate "Johnson" signing and short of Mrs Johnson making his sandwiches, could not be more of a family matter.

What can possibly go wrong?

45 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree with these posts gents , and in Championship you have little chance running with 13/14 players

but have a nagging concern that our biggest problems have been when Lee has had a number of ‘options’ and loves to tweak and fiddle

I hope he doesn’t change continually 

I think there’s a fine line, or fine margin as he would say between tweeking and twiddling and running them into the ground. I agree we did play best when injuries forced him to play a side and he didn’t have the options to tinker. I’ve always believed in playing a settled side personally, but seeing how physically punishing our pressing game is makes me realise it isn’t sustainable.

So we either change the way we play, unlikely as we are/were good at it and it did bring us success and was good to watch, or we have to use players better. As I said I think we have got more like for like players who will push hard, be rested and therefore rotated. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Your last bit is my fear. Though at the same time don’t think ge has ever had the quality in numbers. A genuine 18-20 players who could start any given match. Just feel during a poor stretch the same “tombola” comments will arrive. All good we say rotate is fine now. Lets see how it plays out in the middle of November. 

If it were me I’d have identified my best 15-16 and use those for the majority of matches(11 + 3 subs). Everyone else would have to fight for minutes. 

Has been brought up that rotating will probably be a positive for the wingers and central midfielders. They ran their socks of last season and would be tough to ask them to do the same again this season. 

Agree Joe 

That would be my basic framework

Personally I think the modern trend of tinkering to counter the opposition is very much a double edged sword and I’m not a massive fan

Of course you have to be aware ofopponents MOP , their set pieces , strengths and weaknesses but I prefer concentration on our strengths

Id have in my  Head my ‘best’ couple of options for starting 11s and go with that to start and rotate / change ‘naturally’ when players tire , lose form and let the side form and evolve through the season

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree Joe 

Id have in my  Head my ‘best’ couple of options for starting 11s and go with that to start and rotate / change ‘naturally’ when players tire , lose form and let the side form and evolve through the season

Meant to add I would rotate those dependent on form and matchups. No problem with a change or two if it suits us in any particular match. Meaning don’t see it as a tombola but as a strength in our depth. 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Meant to add I would rotate those dependent on form and matchups. No problem with a change or two if it suits us in any particular match. Meaning don’t see it as a tombola but as a strength in our depth. 

Tbf I edited my initial post after you liked it and I’ve expressed my views about (the balance) in tactical match ups 

Appreciate I’m in a minority on this in the modern trend !!!! 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I think there’s a fine line, or fine margin as he would say between tweeking and twiddling and running them into the ground. I agree we did play best when injuries forced him to play a side and he didn’t have the options to tinker. I’ve always believed in playing a settled side personally, but seeing how physically punishing our pressing game is makes me realise it isn’t sustainable.

So we either change the way we play, unlikely as we are/were good at it and it did bring us success and was good to watch, or we have to use players better. As I said I think we have got more like for like players who will push hard, be rested and therefore rotated. 

You talk a lot of football sense M

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Aww shucks I’m blushing now, :blush:

Seriously, that’s one of the nicest things anyone has said to me and certainly quite a compliment, so thank you. 

One day, when I’m manager you will all see..... :laugh:

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

Aww shucks I’m blushing now, :blush:

Seriously, that’s one of the nicest things anyone has said to me and certainly quite a compliment, so thank you. 

One day, when I’m manager you will all see..... :laugh:

You do M

I find your posts always worth reading as you regularly raise some very good and sensible points and are clearly astute, often ones no one else has

A really good and interesting contributor

30 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Tbf I edited my initial post after you liked it and I’ve expressed my views about (the balance) in tactical match ups 

Appreciate I’m in a minority on this in the modern trend !!!! 

All good was why I responded. Was quite sure you like sticking to an XI for the most part. Which I agree with that for the most part. Why I wouldn’t make more than a couple changes but not every match. It may be a case of playing a Bolton or Rotherham who play with 9 defending so perhaps we drop a Watkins and Weimann for Pato and Walsh for example. Two smaller players who can find space and play a key pass to set us up. Obviously just an example and possibly not that exact scenario or changes but something like that I would not mind. 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree Joe 

Personally I think the modern trend of tinkering to counter the opposition is very much a double edged sword and I’m not a massive fan

Of course you have to be aware ofopponents MOP , their set pieces , strengths and weaknesses but I prefer concentration on our strengths

For me it’s about playing predominantly the same way, and LJ having recruited players to play that system with whichever eleven he selects.  That’s fine in principle, but needs a bit of flex.

Ideally what LJ wants for example is that if Watkins plays RW, when Adelakun comes in, its seemless.  Same on t’other side with Eliasson and O’Dowda doing the same.

The strikers might be a bit different depending on his you perm them, but we don’t want the whole system to suffer for one change.  Djúric’s selections might be the exception.

5 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I can help on this.

It was none other than Uncle Pete. So this is the complete and ultimate "Johnson" signing and short of Mrs Johnson making his sandwiches, could not be more of a family matter.

What can possibly go wrong?

Uncle Pete must have seen him live, as Greenwich Borough were never shown on Channel 5 unlike MSK Zilina so far as I can recall, so credit where its due

19 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Uncle Pete must have seen him live, as Greenwich Borough were never shown on Channel 5 unlike MSK Zilina so far as I can recall, so credit where its due

Yes- the Styvaar was a weird one.

I like Cheltenham as a club and the fact that BCFC have given them a huge wedge of cash that they so desperately need along with the ability to offer some of our players to them along with the chance of League football is a really good thing all round.

12 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Yes- the Styvaar was a weird one.

I like Cheltenham as a club and the fact that BCFC have given them a huge wedge of cash that they so desperately need along with the ability to offer some of our players to them along with the chance of League football is a really good thing all round.

I wasn't a fan of the "Walton's" approach to staffing at the time, and questioned Uncle Pete's credentials. I do though seem to recall that Styvar played in a trial as a striker at Failand and scored a hat trick or something like that prior to signing, although I can't recall the opposition.

Eisa sounds like a good punt - actually a better one than Engval because he ain't going to be homesick !

16 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I wasn't a fan of the "Walton's" approach to staffing at the time, and questioned Uncle Pete's credentials. I do though seem to recall that Styvar played in a trial as a striker at Failand and scored a hat trick or something like that prior to signing, although I can't recall the opposition.

Eisa sounds like a good punt - actually a better one than Engval because he ain't going to be homesick !

Laugh out loud moment!

Archived