IGNORED

Mo Eisa - NOW OFFICIALLY SIGNED (merged)

GrahamC

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

No, I don't, but then we are not a lower league club.......currently.

We play in the 5th biggest league in Europe and I really doubt, truly hope I am wrong, that Mo can cut it there - his track record suggests that it will be a leap too far.

I wonder if this deal would have happened if he had played for ANY other Div 2 team................

Signing for us and it’s subsequent success/failure is irrelevant to the fact that “he’d just about earn a contract with a lower league club” when, the facts are, he was probably amongst the most sort after players in the lower leagues, having smashed league 2 last season. 

51 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

“Just about earn a contract with a lower league club” after scoring 25 goals in his first season, with a lower league club..?! 

I respectfully suggest that your colleague has been proven wrong about him already..! 

Think you need to reread the post your responding to

Unless im going crackers BYRFTG is saying that his mate thought when Eisa was at Greenwich that if he worked hard he might get a contract with a lower league cluB - Not that he might earn a lower league contract now

To be fair to Eisa he’s clearly ticked both those boxes and then delivered 25 goals in L2   - Fair play

Im With @ScottishRed on his note of caution regarding expectations -  15 months ago he was in the Isthmian League 

Have to say that to go into L2 and score 25 goals is itself pretty remarkable

but the step from L2 to Champ is probably even steeper but nothing to prove he can’t step up to this level atm

It would be nothing short of remarkable if Eisa does deliver to any degree at this level straightaway (Even Vardy didn’t rise that quickly) but nothing to say it’s impossible so good luck to him, but he may need some time

I havnt watched Eisa but despite the massive jump in standard in 15 months I have a gut feeling that he could be a steal 

Just a gut feeling and probably influenced in his ability to jump from the Isthmian to L2 with such a bang , and the positive opinion of some posters on here , who have seen him live and who I trust to provide a sensible opinion , 

Ian Wright or John Akinde ?

Good Luck to him

13 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

We play in the 5th biggest league in Europe and I really doubt, truly hope I am wrong, that Mo can cut it there - his track record suggests that it will be a leap too far.

I wonder if this deal would have happened if he had played for ANY other Div 2 team................

think you are being a tad too pessimistic, I can see why, we have a history of being disappointed but 25 goals in any reasonable league proves to me he knows where the net is, who is to say he can't step up again, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

24 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Liverpool bought Kevin Keegan from Scunthorpe, that worked out alright Leicester bought Vardy from Fleetwood, that went OK too. 

So lets give the lad a chance before we write him off, that would be nice

6 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Liverpool bought Kevin Keegan from Scunthorpe, that worked out alright Leicester bought Vardy from Fleetwood, that went OK too. 

So lets give the lad a chance before we write him off, that would be nice

Neither made the jump that Eisa is trying Or in the timescale

It can be done and no one will be able to judge until he’s involved and then his ability to improve

Can be done but a massive ask and quite a story if he manages it

I agree , as I’ve said with @ScottishReds note of caution ( though personally I wouldn’t begin to say he won’t step up (It May take some time) or that we’ve only bought because it’s Cheltenham )

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Unless im going crackers BYRFTG is saying that his mate thought when Eisa was at Greenwich that if he worked hard he might get a contract with a lower league cluB - Not that he might earn a lower league contract now

To be fair to Eisa he’s clearly ticked both those boxes and then delivered 25 goals in L2   - Fair play

Im With @ScottishRed on his note of caution regarding expectations -  15 months ago he was in the Isthmian League 

but the step from L2 to Champ is probably even steeper but nothing to prove he can’t step up to this level atm

It would be nothing short of remarkable if Eisa does deliver to any degree at this level straightaway (Even Vardy didn’t rise that quickly) but nothing to say it’s impossible so good luck to him, but he may need some time

I havnt watched Eisa but despite the massive jump in standard in 15 months I have a gut feeling that he could be a steal 

Just a gut feeling and probably influenced in his ability to jump from the Isthmian to L2 with such a bang , and the positive opinion of some posters on here , who have seen him live and who I trust to provide a sensible opinion , 

Good Luck to him

I think I’m up to speed on the thread. I’m just pointing out that his colleague was clearly wrong about him once, so I’ll trust our scouting and his stats, over someone’s opinion, who worked with him when he was a kid. 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Neither made the jump that Eisa is trying 

It can be done and no one will be able to judge until he’s involved and then his ability to improve

Can be done but a massive ask and quite a story if he manages it

I agree , as I’ve said with @ScottishReds note of caution ( though personally I wouldn’t begin to say he won’t step up (It May take some time) or that we’ve only bought because it’s Cheltenham )

It’s no bigger jump than many other players have made successfully. 

Of course many more have failed, but to suggest that 4th division to 2nd division (or bigger) is unheard of is ridiculous. 

Ask Albert Adomah, for starters..!

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think I’m up to speed on the thread. I’m just pointing out that his colleague was clearly wrong about him once, so I’ll trust our scouting and his stats, over someone’s opinion, who worked with him when he was a kid. 

Ewwww Mr Prickly

Not how your responses to @BTRFTG appear

Ill leave you to it

But if you were so up to speed you’d realise that he was at Greenwich before Cheltenham and didn’t join them until 2015 , a whole 3 years ago So was ‘no kid’

The bloke at Greenwich May well have had a sensible opinion 

You do realise the players change for better or worse so an opinion can change alongside those changes 

Not many players have gone from Isthmian League into League Football so it appears a reasonable opinion at the time

Fair play to Eisa - he did it and delivered albeit for one season

Ehen harping On about how much you trust our scouting and analysts Maybe you can also explain Engvall , Diony and a list of others

Back to Eisa - he may well be a great swoop and although there is obvious promise it’s a big ask

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It’s no bigger jump than many other players have made successfully. 

Of course many more have failed, but to suggest that 4th division to 2nd division (or bigger) is unheard of is ridiculous. 

Ask Albert Adomah, for starters..!

Again it would help if you read others posts properly

Isthmian League to Championship in 15 months - I’ll be fascinated by your list

If you bother to read my posts correctly I’ve made it quite clear it’s possible

* But it’s a massive ask

* May take time even if he manages it

* Would he one hell of a rise / story

Hope that explains 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ewwww Mr Prickly

Not how your responses to @BTRFTG appear

Ill leave you to it

But if you were so up to speed you’d realise that he was at Greenwich before Cheltenham and didn’t join them until 2015 , a whole 3 years ago So was ‘no kid’

Very simply, in fairness, he did say that his colleague coached him as a schoolboy. 

The bloke at Greenwich May well have had a sensible opinion 

You do realise the players change for better or worse so an opinion can change alongside those changes 

Not many players have gone from Isthmian League into League Football so it appears a reasonable opinion at the time

Fair play to Eisa - he did it and delivered albeit for one season

Ehen harping On about how much you trust our scouting and analysts Maybe you can also explain Engvall , Diony and a list of others

Back to Eisa - he may well be a great swoop and although there is obvious promise it’s a big ask

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Again it would help if you read others posts properly

Isthmian League to Championship in 15 months - I’ll be fascinated by your list

If you bother to read my posts correctly I’ve made it quite clear it’s possible

* But it’s a massive ask

* May take time even if he manages it

* Would he one hell of a rise / story

Hope that explains 

Of course it would be one hell of a rise to success story. 

You appear to be missing my whole point, that his esteemed colleague predicted that he might just get a contract offer from a lower league team. 

He got one, he smashed league 2 and now he’s earned a shot at the championship. That renders his colleagues’ judgement on the player “wrong” imho. 

Is that ok..?! 

11 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of course it would be one hell of a ride to success story. 

You appear to be missing my whole point, that his esteemed colleague predicted that he might just get a contract offer from a lower league team. 

He got one, he smashed league 2 and now he’s earned a shot at the championship. That renders his colleagues’ judgement on the player “wrong” imho. 

Is that ok..?! 

Not missing your point at all and I don’t know why you’re getting so assy with BTRFtG and now  me

I didn’t see Eisa 3 years ago and nor did you. as a starting point not many players make a jump from Isthmian Leaguebinto League Football so that alone makes it not an unreasonable judgement 

Add to which Eisa Had a decent strike rate in lower Non League , but nothing like a Vardy It again suggests that the judgement at the time was not unreasonable but you’ve decided that hindsight proved it was a rubbish opinion at that time - bizarre

Eisa has clearly done very well and the credit should go to whoever at Cheltenham spotted him and thought he could make it in the League

Im not sure what your bee in your bonnet appears to be regarding the opinion of the guy at Greenwich but you’re coming across big time judgemental 

You obviously have a detailed knowledge of any progress and improvement in Eisas game the last 3 years so I’ll leave you to carry on with your crusade

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Possibly not and not for a positive reason; having GJ before, during and now after the deal is done has and will be a very valuable asset in itself. Lee will more likely play and develop the lad in the right way without the need for too much guesswork.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Im With @ScottishRed on his note of caution regarding expectations -  15 months ago he was in the Isthmian League  opinion , 

Good Luck to him

I hope he is better than Akinde or we got another 'one for the future Engval' on our hands. Fingers crossed for Vardy or Wright... It is for sure a 1 million plus punt. But thats football; not for the feint of heart. So i think it shows true guts by City and well done for that.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good Luck to him

Bob, usually with these types of players there will be comments like he’s raw, plays a bit spontaneously etc.  

But (without getting carried away - but I am optimistic) I see a more refined player than that.  Kodjia got labelled by LJ as having the footballing brain of a 19 year old because he didn’t come through the traditional French system..  I thought that was lazy, because I saw Kodjia as a player of high-level movement, just no-one else on his wavelength (except Reid sporadically, Elliot Bennett and Tomlin).

If I compare to Matty Taylor, who went from non-league to Champ, I saw a player who snatched at chances, who on a good day, went in, on a bad day, airshots, etc.  I’ve always said that Taylor scores in streaks....yet to gave that streak for us.

Eisa, who I’ve not seen outside of C5/YouTube looks a bit different.  He’s a sidefoot finisher.  Someone above said Andy Cole.  Again, without trying to compare him to AC, he has that cool finishing....or appears to.  That composure always has a chance at any level...just requires service.

I am excited by what I see, but proof will be watching him live.  Diedhiou’s 6 game ban is just what a new striker needs, although Diedhiou makes a good foil for any striker.

I think this is a very sensible signing.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bob, usually with these types of players there will be comments like he’s raw, plays a bit spontaneously etc.  

But (without getting carried away - but I am optimistic) I see a more refined player than that.  Kodjia got labelled by LJ as having the footballing brain of a 19 year old because he didn’t come through the traditional French system..  I thought that was lazy, because I saw Kodjia as a player of high-level movement, just no-one else on his wavelength (except Reid sporadically, Elliot Bennett and Tomlin).

If I compare to Matty Taylor, who went from non-league to Champ, I saw a player who snatched at chances, who on a good day, went in, on a bad day, airshots, etc.  I’ve always said that Taylor scores in streaks....yet to gave that streak for us.

Eisa, who I’ve not seen outside of C5/YouTube looks a bit different.  He’s a sidefoot finisher.  Someone above said Andy Cole.  Again, without trying to compare him to AC, he has that cool finishing....or appears to.  That composure always has a chance at any level...just requires service.

I am excited by what I see, but proof will be watching him live.  Diedhiou’s 6 game ban is just what a new striker needs, although Diedhiou makes a good foil for any striker.

I think this is a very sensible signing.

Nice post Dave. Agree with all of that.

If Eisa is as good as I believe he will be, we could potentially have a very exciting strike partnership in him and Diedhiou. 

I think it’s a very nice blend of styles and should complement eachother very well. I really rate Diedhiou and his style could be the perfect foil for Eisa.

I’ve felt we’ve lacked a forward like Eisa for a while.. someone like Nakhi Wells or Dwight Gayle who plays primarily on the shoulder and is pacey with natural goalscoring instinct. Kodjia being the closest to that we’ve had recently.. Maynard when he first joined being the archetype.

The other thing I like about Eisa is that for a relatively slight guy, he’s decent in the air and doesn’t get bullied. 

Very progressive signing and personally I preferred this to the Marriott deal which I felt was poor value for money.

7 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

In what way?

He jumped 4 levels to join Cheltenham and his scoring rate barely dropped.

What on Earth about that says he wouldn't be able to cut it?

You don't half come out with some utter shite.

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Good Luck to him

Still less of a gamble than 6 million for Marriott even though he did it at a league higher .

These days 1.5 million is not a lot for an outstanding striker in the fourth division even though to us more mature gentlemen that would sound huge as a fee.

If he doesn't cut it at this level we would probably get 500k back for him with a bigger lower league club ,

9 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Personally I find it irritating when somebody posts something as if it is fact, it comes over as arrogance and  as if you’re ITK. Therefore I like to respond in the way I have.  That’s why you’re getting this from me.

Well it is a forum and many post what they see. I highly doubt anyone has much fact. Here is a crazy idea though, why don’t you give some input? What did you see in the friendlies? Who has impressed you? Who do you think is in for a big season? Instead of being a miserable *** why don’t you contribute? Because honestly replying without bringing anything else to the argument is irritating

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is Eisa the only player who’ve signed for both Lee and Gary Johnson?

Not including players the managers have inherited or loans.. first who’s signed permenantly for both?

it depends Fogg my old mucker,

If Elsa is a flop then yes he is, if he's a success then he was signed by someone other then johnson, (that seems to be the theme these days)

If we are struggling to know much about how he plays then so will the Championship defenders which can’t be a bad thing.

I hope people are patient with him as it’s going to be quite daunting stepping out at Ashton Gate compared to where he has previously played before. We got to remember he doesn’t arrive with the price tag or experience of Diedhiou so don’t get on his back if he isn’t as refined.

I can’t believe Lee and Gary don’t chat about their players to eachother, they have said they meet regularly for Sunday dinner, so I think Lee will have been aware of Eisa long before we ever considered buying him.

I don’t know if others were interested but Peterborough certainly were, they haven’t been too shabby at getting players and later selling them on to a higher level. We have just cut out the middle man, in an ideal world we probably needed league one experience added but then we would be facing another Marriott asking price. 

But when it comes down to it surely having a striker who has at least got goals in him is better than having no option, Diedhiou ban, Taylor injury. It’s always a gamble, just think we could be starting the season with Diony, now there’s a thought.

17 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I know nothing about Eisa other than his fantastic goal scoring record last season. 

Could be a very useful addition to the squad.  Will he be Championship ready or is he still in the development stage with us?

Welcome to the club, Mo.

It is a good question but what I think will help him is being 24 and playing lower leagues. He is a fully developed man and has experience in the physical leagues. Also the natural composure and finishing. Where he will be behind is tactically and hard to judge when he will be up to speed. Shame we could not get him 2 weeks earlier but will have 2 weeks and a friendly to catch up some. Learning how we press, how we organise and where his teammates will be in different scenarios. At worst though, should be an impact sub early on. See where it goes from there

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

I know nothing about Eisa other than his fantastic goal scoring record last season. 

Could be a very useful addition to the squad.  Will he be Championship ready or is he still in the development stage with us?

Welcome to the club, Mo.

Championship ready, perhaps in the same way as Brownhill and O'Dowda when they first joined with lots of gametime from then bench.

I think the days of us spending 7 figures on non-first team players are paused for a while.

Archived