IGNORED

Thierry Henry

E.G.Red

Hasn’t he been assistant coach for Belgium, so has been getting experience. Looks like Villa really are going all out or bust as he’s a name people would like to work with I would think, very respected and intelligent. If he does well only a matter of time before he manages in the Premiership, but I don’t think it will be with Villa for long.

36 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What I don’t get is this new investors thing. How does that help them avoid ffp? If it doesn’t why would he take the job? Still a solid squad there but he couldn’t put his stamp on it. It would be a weird one for me. 

One last throw of the dice to get promotion this year. Should they fall foul of ffp then it won't matter

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What I don’t get is this new investors thing. How does that help them avoid ffp? If it doesn’t why would he take the job? Still a solid squad there but he couldn’t put his stamp on it. It would be a weird one for me. 

Like all the others who’ve broken it they just get a fine. It’s a nonsense as it currently stands 

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

it doesn't but it stops them going bust,

They still ave to sell, but now they are in no danger of administration they can ask for 30 million for JG instead of having to take 15 and like it

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

Hasn’t he been assistant coach for Belgium, so has been getting experience. Looks like Villa really are going all out or bust as he’s a name people would like to work with I would think, very respected and intelligent. If he does well only a matter of time before he manages in the Premiership, but I don’t think it will be with Villa for long.

He doesn't half drone on though, it takes him half hour to make a point on Sky.  Imagine this on the training pitch :fastasleep:

This is a ridiculous appointment of somebody with zero managerial experience (bar saying "Yes boss" to Roberto Martinez) to a massive Championship club; similar to Derby appointing Lampard.

It's great news for us however as that's two big competitors now hamstrung.

More stupid managerial appointments please :clapping:

How about Ryan Giggs to Middlesbrough :chant6ez:

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This is a ridiculous appointment of somebody with zero managerial experience (bar saying "Yes boss" to Roberto Martinez) to a massive Championship club; similar to Derby appointing Lampard.

There does seem to be an emerging trend of clubs appointing names over experience once again. This has happened so many times in the past and nearly always ended in tears. Wonder of Terry knew this and bailed out :laughcont:

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

There does seem to be an emerging trend of clubs appointing names over experience once again. This has happened so many times in the past and nearly always ended in tears. Wonder of Terry knew this and bailed out :laughcont:

They simply cannot afford Terry again this season can they? He was a 1yr gamble that happily backfired. 

@JoeAman08 Maybe the EFL give new owners a bit of leeway provided they have a solid plan. UEFA seem to, but didn't realise the EFL system was the same?

@pride of the west EFL can dock points now based on accounts projected by the club if there is a severe breach. New system was introduced in 16/17 so this would actually be the first year clubs might face a proper reckoning based on fully joined up new system over 3 years.

@Tomarse To date tend to agree- but see above about the big changes, accounts projected by the clubs themselves mean there's very limited room for complaint IMO.

@Monkeh Agreed. It resolves their cash flow and solvency issues and reduces pressure to sell, but doesn't really improve their FFP position which is what clubs are judged on.

28 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm sure he's picked up his fair share of knowledge over the years playing with top managers and at the highest level.

What's starting at clubs like Oldham gong to achieve? 

29 minutes ago, RedM said:

Didn't we choose a name over experience?

12 minutes ago, jj77 said:

I'm sure he's picked up his fair share of knowledge over the years playing with top managers and at the highest level.

What's starting at clubs like Oldham gong to achieve? 

Managerial experience.

Gerrard to Rangers, Lampard to Derby and now the possibility of Henry to Villa. All with no or very little managerial experience.

Why is it that some clubs think that great players become great managers?

I can only assume that because these great players have played for top managers that they've picked up the skills required to manage a football club.

Plus appointing a famous  player will raise the profile of the club.

FWIW I think Lampard would do reasonably well at Derby, he seemed pretty tactically aware, as a player.

Henry at Villa? Not so sure. He would definitely encourage attacking football but with certain big ex players you often can find that the players they manage don't- because they can't- live up to the quality of the manager, teams they have played for and it can cause problems down the line.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Gerrard to Rangers, Lampard to Derby and now the possibility of Henry to Villa. All with no or very little managerial experience.

Why is it that some clubs think that great players become great managers?

I can only assume that because these great players have played for top managers that they've picked up the skills required to manage a football club.

Plus appointing a famous  player will raise the profile of the club.

Agreed... Perhaps also the manager may still have links with their playing clubs. Which could prove handy for signings of future talent and those on the fringes of the squad or a squad player from that club not favoured etc.

42 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

They simply cannot afford Terry again this season can they? He was a 1yr gamble that happily backfired. 

I understand that, but bringing in Henry and sacking Bruce won’t be cheap either. Crazy times.

2 minutes ago, ColeCiderRed said:

Agreed... Perhaps also the manager may still have links with their playing clubs. Which could prove handy for signings of future talent and those on the fringes of the squad or a squad player from that club not favoured etc.

That seems one of the main reasons for bringing in ‘name’ managers. I suppose it all depends if their previous clubs have much faith in them or not. Football is a business isn’t it, no room for sentiment when you are loaning out your next big star. You got to do the best for them and ultimately your club, not some rookie looking for mates rates.

5 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Did QPR ever pay their FFP fine? When they were relegated from the Premier League, the Football League should have refused to admit them unless they paid up.

Appeals are still ongoing there...

I agree though- if they lose again and still refuse to play ball the EFL at the first available close season should ballot the other 71 clubs- subject to legal advice, maybe to be legally safe- QPR too and put to the vote, something to the effect of:

'If QPR still keep dragging this out, do you want them as a member of the EFL anymore?'

If there is a unanimous vote against then demote them to the Conference perhaps!

Archived