IGNORED

Glyn Riley - 60 today

'Orns

4 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Seems like yesterday, huh? I didn't actually go to the Bolton game, but clearly remember having a cricket net and the local coaches were leaving and wishing I was on there

Watching the highlights later that night (or maybe the day after) and seeing the lads walk out at Wembley - great times

Happy 60th Glyn. A great wholehearted player who typified the never say die spirit within the club during those dark days which eventually led to our recovery, capped by his two goals in our first Wembley appearance.

Woodsy, old horse, I don't know if you are aware, but when you wrote that you missed the 1986 Final due to having a cricked neck, the predictive text must've taken over and replaced the words 'cricked neck' with 'cricket net'. I laughed when I read that because it makes it seem like you preferred wielding the old willow against seam and spin for 20 minutes or so rather than watch City in their first ever Wembley appearance. I thought I had better indicate this to you so you can correct it.

5 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Happy 60th Glyn. A great wholehearted player who typified the never say die spirit within the club during those dark days which eventually led to our recovery, capped by his two goals in our first Wembley appearance.

Woodsy, old horse, I don't know if you are aware, but when you wrote that you missed the 1986 Final due to having a cricked neck, the predictive text must've taken over and replaced the words 'cricked neck' with 'cricket net'. I laughed when I read that because it makes it seem like you preferred wielding the old willow against seam and spin for 20 minutes or so rather than watch City in their first ever Wembley appearance. I thought I had better indicate this to you so you can correct it.

Ha, cricket and rugby union are my other great loves, what can I say!

I hate myself for missing out on it, went to Mansfield and Stoke finals, missed Walsall - so obviously Wembley, Woodsy and Paint Pot trophies don't go well together. I'm glad that me missing out gave so many people so many happy memories though!

57 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Real exciting player and thought I’d check and see his return that season

11 goals - pretty impressive for a winger

36B4DB8F-EC77-49BB-8E2B-9A8628EBF3B9.jpeg

That kit, though
An absolute thronker

Happy birthday Glyn, the word legend is used quite loosely these days but to us olduns he truely is a City legend very dark days for this club back then but him and others started that long climb back, I will never forget the final against Bolton, enjoy your 60th curly

If Riley is that old then I am catching him up - and quickly! Yikes! :unsure: Those days seem so near, yet they are undeniably farther away than they feel.

Happy birthday old man! Great memories from a great player.:hug:

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

In my top two fave ever City players....top geezer! Still love him! Wore number 6 up front! Sweat bands! On the East End fence, fist aloft! Those three Wembley goals! Total commitment.....huge part of the era I’ve enjoyed the most in all these years...

Cant like this enough

8 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Wasn't it like a week or two later that Owen missed the pen on the last day of the season against Swindon that meant we didn't get to the play offs, or was that the following season?

I got to Owen first in the post match pitch invasion (yep, I was young, wouldn’t dream of embarrassing myself in a pitch invasion now!)....he was crying his eyes out and just kept saying ‘sorry, I’m so sorry...’ - I could only hug him and the copper next to me patted me on the back and said ‘good lad, I thought you were going to attack him!’

Can’t imagine interactions like that in modern football....not sure a player would care as much in that situation and not sure a police officer would show such sensible restraint - although that’s probably understandable in this day and age...

Stood right by the tunnel in the enclosure in those days and me and my mate loved Glyn so much that whenever TC took him off we’d give TC some real stick (Feel guilty a bit about that now !) and Tc got really narky

A couple of years after Glyn left I was walking through the City Centre when Glyn walked towards me with his wife

I’d never spoken to Glyn other than support as he went out or in the tunnel and a thumbs up or small acknowledgement )

He caught my eye as we closed in , grabbed his wife’s arm and with a big Yorkshire grin introduced me as the ‘lad who gave Coops blooody ell whenever he toooook me off’ , his wife laughed and we had a short conversation and off they went laughing !!!

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I got to Owen first in the post match pitch invasion (yep, I was young, wouldn’t dream of embarrassing myself in a pitch invasion now!)....he was crying his eyes out and just kept saying ‘sorry, I’m so sorry...’ - I could only hug him and the copper next to me patted me on the back and said ‘good lad, I thought you were going to attack him!’

Can’t imagine interactions like that in modern football....not sure a player would care as much in that situation and not sure a police officer would show such sensible restraint - although that’s probably understandable in this day and age...

Fair play mate! Pretty sure you're right about reactions nowadays, sadly

Happy birthday Glynn. One of my favourites as a kid and named after my son who is six weeks old. That must be a omen after his shirt number. I liked the name walshy but the Mrs was having none of it. I met him years ago and was a lovely man. A larger than life character. A true City legend and part of our history.

11 hours ago, Woodsy said:

You know when you're getting old when your heroes start turning 60

One of my all time favs, cracking player - who can forget those Wembley goals against Bolton, that jump and just sat there on the turf, arms aloft

Loved his cheeky grin every time he conned the ref into giving him a free kick.

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Correct mate

Owen missed the pen against Swindon then at Wembley in shoot out against Mansfield a few weeks after (87)

Great little player mind 

Edit

Aplogise @Red Army 75 @glynriley And @RedM have all already clarified this - I didn’t finish reading the thread.  -   Doh 

:facepalm:

Both scorching days too 

IIRC @glynriley you are spot on about Boro - Was up at Boro for that game

IIRC it was very tasty with Boro invading pitch towards our end when they scored , and bombarding us with bricks after the game over the roofs of terraced houses !!!!

I was met with a flying dustbin lid coming out of the ground and Boro fans desperate to get onto our coach!mayhem

On 24/07/2018 at 17:39, Woodsy said:

You know when you're getting old when your heroes start turning 60

One of my all time favs, cracking player - who can forget those Wembley goals against Bolton, that jump and just sat there on the turf, arms aloft

Remember it well. I was there. Alan Crawford played as well i think and Walshy and Neville..... With Biff at the back... What a day out that was.

Archived