IGNORED

Glyn Riley - 60 today

'Orns

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

You know when you're getting old when your heroes start turning 60

One of my all time favs, cracking player - who can forget those Wembley goals against Bolton, that jump and just sat there on the turf, arms aloft

Totally echo what you are saying. 60 wow, loved the Neville Riley duo. Great days, great memories, but it only seems like yesterday. Where has that time gone.

Seems like yesterday, huh? I didn't actually go to the Bolton game, but clearly remember having a cricket net and the local coaches were leaving and wishing I was on there

Watching the highlights later that night (or maybe the day after) and seeing the lads walk out at Wembley - great times

I remember when he signed, very tough times but hints of good things. I loved the bloke, still have one of his old shirts, in those days they went on to use them as training tops so is slightly the worse for wear. One of the few to get a rousing ovation when playing against us after he left, that says a lot about how much he was liked here.

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Seems like yesterday, huh? I didn't actually go to the Bolton game, but clearly remember having a cricket net and the local coaches were leaving and wishing I was on there

Watching the highlights later that night (or maybe the day after) and seeing the lads walk out at Wembley - great times

As a young un then I was so excited going to Wembley for the first time, fantastic day out as was the following year although we lost (bloody Gordon Owen!)

35 minutes ago, Super said:

As a young un then I was so excited going to Wembley for the first time, fantastic day out as was the following year although we lost (bloody Gordon Owen!)

Wasn't it like a week or two later that Owen missed the pen on the last day of the season against Swindon that meant we didn't get to the play offs, or was that the following season?

9 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Wasn't it like a week or two later that Owen missed the pen on the last day of the season against Swindon that meant we didn't get to the play offs, or was that the following season?

Same season I think

13 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Owen missed the penalty against Swindon, then missed at Wembley 2 weeks after. I've got something in the back of my mind that he missed one at Middlesborough a couple of months before as well, we lost 1-0 Joe Jordan and David Hodgson(?) got sent off.

May be wrong though, that was over 30 years ago FFS...!

I’m certain it was the same year too. All a bit hazy now but Moysie missed a pen too in that shoot out. It’s hardly ever mentioned compared to Gordon’s, I guess his was the decider.

And then not to get into the playoffs was agonising. I think we all were playing at the same time and these were the days before phones and internet, loads of rumours flying round about other teams winning and losing, the highs and the lows and no way to check unless you had a radio which many people did.

Happy birthday Glyn, as I said great days. What a team we had then. Happy Days indeed. 

13 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Owen missed the penalty against Swindon, then missed at Wembley 2 weeks after. I've got something in the back of my mind that he missed one at Middlesborough a couple of months before as well, we lost 1-0 Joe Jordan and David Hodgson(?) got sent off.

I think you are right, seem to remember a lot of groans when he was making the long walk at Wembley! Obvious he would miss!

I couldn't put Glyn in my best team of all time City greats, mainly due to the level he played at. But if the qualification was effort, vital goals to bring us back from the brink of total collapse and always had a big smile on his face, he'd be right up there. 

Thanks Glyn and enjoy the day. 

20 minutes ago, glynriley said:

That Swindon penalty. Remember so well . Weird how you remember certain things. Took an age to place the ball . Probably the worst city penalty I’ve seen. Yes then Wembley. Gordon ******* Owen. IMO he was a good player. Just couldn’t kick it from 12 yards

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

That Swindon penalty. Remember so well . Weird how you remember certain things. Took an age to place the ball . Probably the worst city penalty I’ve seen. Yes then Wembley. Gordon ******* Owen. IMO he was a good player. Just couldn’t kick it from 12 yards

Certainly is. I don’t think I’ve seen it since but I just watched the video @Super has posted above and it’s exactly as I remembered watching it. I was stood in the Eastend directly in line with the ball only about 20 feet away. I couldn’t believe it when  I saw it coming towards me instead of making the net bulge.  :no:

Bloody hell.

Top player, top bloke.

We were at rock bottom when he joined, but he was one of the signings Coops made that meant we weren’t there for long.

Used to love it when he climbed on the fence after scoring, a world away from now..

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Correct mate

Owen missed the pen against Swindon then at Wembley in shoot out against Mansfield a few weeks after (87)

Great little player mind 

Edit

Aplogise @Red Army 75 @glynriley And @RedM have all already clarified this - I didn’t finish reading the thread.  -   Doh 

:facepalm:

Both scorching days too 

IIRC @glynriley you are spot on about Boro - Was up at Boro for that game

IIRC it was very tasty with Boro invading pitch towards our end when they scored , and bombarding us with bricks after the game over the roofs of terraced houses !!!!

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Correct mate

Owen missed the pen against Swindon then at Wembley in shoot out against Mansfield a few weeks after (87)

Great little player mind 

Edit

Aplogise @Red Army 75 @glynriley And @RedM have all already clarified this - I didn’t finish reading the thread.  -   Doh 

:facepalm:

Both scorching days too 

IIRC @glynriley you are spot on about Boro - Was up at Boro for that game 

IIRC it was very tasty with Boro invading pitch towards our end when they scored , and bombarding us with bricks after the game over the roofs of terraced houses !!!! 

Yep proper crazy day that. As we were walking out a half brick whistled past my mates ear and crashed into the window of a coach we were walking past!!

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Bloody hell.

Top player, top bloke.

We were at rock bottom when he joined, but he was one of the signings Coops made that meant we weren’t there for long.

Used to love it when he climbed on the fence after scoring, a world away from now..

Oh, for some of that now, Graham. Was always waiting for him to get it wrong and slip, but he never did!

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

That Swindon penalty. Remember so well . Weird how you remember certain things. Took an age to place the ball . Probably the worst city penalty I’ve seen. Yes then Wembley.

Gordon ******* Owen. IMO he was a good player. Just couldn’t kick it from 12 yards

Real exciting player and thought I’d check and see his return that season

11 goals - pretty impressive for a winger

36B4DB8F-EC77-49BB-8E2B-9A8628EBF3B9.jpeg

Archived