IGNORED

Reid & Bryan

bengalcub

3 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

There is only ONE loyal “ex player” at Ashton Gate nowadays. And that is Sir Scott Murray - who is 100% Bristol City.

As I wrote elsewhere there are various inducements that keep a player in or near a club and certain quarters of Bedminster have multifarious delights on offer 24/7 (or so I'm reliably informed.)  I hadn't realised Scott had already been knighted for his services to.....

19 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I'd question whether either of these are examples of 'loyalty' in the sense you intend it.

Atyeo had a lifestyle that suited what was on offer and what he wanted at the time and City facilitated his desire for another career in education. In his day there was never the assumption that football might be the only thing one would ever undertake and there are dozens of top players who were part time plumbers, undertakers and such like during their playing careers.

The late Ray Wilson MBE.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I can think of 8.

Again, loyalty played no part in the 8's decision. For the best account read For The Good Of The Game ( a history of the PFA.)

The 8 had Hobson's:

Retain their contracts, watch City go bust, hang around for years in limbo  until the administrators had sorted matters out in the hope they were still young enough for somebody to purchase their registrations;

or

Agree to mutually terminate their contracts with City giving them ownership of their registrations such they could seek immediate employment with any club who wanted them.

It was Gordon Taylor's first test and even he saw it as a no-brainer.

It's as simple as that and strange that over time and particularly for those who weren't around the motives are these days altogether misreported.

How many people on this thread are in the same job that they had when they started their working life......very few I think.Probably most have moved on to bigger and better things. JB and BR have netted the club near on 16 million and could have easily done a Maynard and walked away next season for a big signing on fee and nothing for the club.As people have pointed out BR has had one good season and has moved to the prem,good luck to him.JB has been one of the highest rated defenders for the last few years so all the best to you as well Joe. Loyalty in football hasn't been around for years and never will be with the amount of money that is now in the game.

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The late Ray Wilson MBE.

Indeed. Imagine spending Saturday afternoon cheering on Tom Finney from the Deepdale or Wembley terrace only to find he's the bloke who turns up to fix your dripping tap first thing Sunday morning.

41 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I'd question whether either of these are examples of 'loyalty' in the sense you intend it.

Atyeo had a lifestyle that suited what was on offer and what he wanted at the time and City facilitated his desire for another career in education. In his day there was never the assumption that football might be the only thing one would ever undertake and there are dozens of top players who were part time plumbers, undertakers and such like during their playing careers.

I grew up with Marcus's dad and the reason he went to the Rovers was simply because City didn't offer him the chance. Ditto Julian Dicks who lived a few doors further up and who's father took him to AG where he asked if his son would be  playing in the first team at 16 if he was good enough only to be told: 'no chance, 18 or 19 maybe but not before.' When asked the same question Ron Saunders replied ' if he's 15 and good enough he'll play,' and that's why he ended up at Birmingham.

Plus Atyeo played in the days of the maximum wage so there wasn't the financial incentive there is now.

21 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Again, loyalty played no part in the 8's decision. For the best account read For The Good Of The Game ( a history of the PFA.)

The 8 had Hobson's:

Retain their contracts, watch City go bust, hang around for years in limbo  until the administrators had sorted matters out in the hope they were still young enough for somebody to purchase their registrations;

or

Agree to mutually terminate their contracts with City giving them ownership of their registrations such they could seek immediate employment with any club who wanted them.

It was Gordon Taylor's first test and even he saw it as a no-brainer.

It's as simple as that and strange that over time and particularly for those who weren't around the motives are these days altogether misreported.

Well, that told me.

But i did I say those eight?   A bit of gun jumping. I meant i can think of 8.

22 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Plus Atyeo played in the days of the maximum wage so there wasn't the financial incentive there is now.

Indeed, that's what I meant by what was on offer. Players had to lump it or leave it. Remember, too, there were 'Summer' and 'Winter' wages with players hanging around after the last match of the season to be told how much they'd be offered during the off-season. The cracker from Tommy Docherty who having been told by Tom Finney that he was getting full and equivalent Summer wages to Winter followed him into the Manager's office to be offered significantly reduced off-season terms. Protesting he'd been voted fans player of the year he demanded parity with Finney to be told: "He's ten times the player you'll ever be."

"Aye, in winter maybe, but not during the summer he ain't....."

19 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wonder if Bryan will get a warm reception, indifference or hostility with whichever club he returns?

Should receive a warm reception. 

Congrats @bengalcub, I always think your threads couldn’t possibly get worse and you always prove me wrong!

51 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Possibly the worst post I've ever encountered in this site.

I’d say I agree but see above

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It should have been a ROFLMAO emoji for your use of the word Legend

Still , anything above a vest

Thought youd Be Back in your other persona / I’d on here

:thumbsup:

Wonder how many else have realised

Thought this for a while too. Any ideas on the other account?

One of the best left backs we've had, along with darren barnard and co. Sorry to see him leave, but thats life and we'd all do the same if the figures were presented to us over a 15 year career. You can see he's been a bit frustrated in his playing, so will be best for all in the end. Good luck to him at villa- shame he wasnt consistent enough to see on match of the day every saturday. He may be a better druid :D

I'm going to be more peeved if the club dont reinvest properly. Flogging promotion standard strikers, midfielders, defenders and replacing them with very little so far IMO, will up our season ****. Time to take our expectations down a peg or 3 after the dizzy heights of December last year.

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yep

but I’ll leave it for others to decide who if they so wish to 

I’m in enough trouble and Tom has a new baby 

:laughcont:

Won’t get in trouble if you’re right will you? 

I can guarantee you’ll be wrong though as I don’t have multiple accounts. 

Your paranoia is misled on this occasion I’m afraid Bob.

Whilst you’re here though can you explain the vest thing as I’m bemused!

On 06/08/2018 at 20:24, bengalcub said:

Both jumped ship amd showed no loyalty to the club that gave them there careers , never begrudge a player moving when done correctly see flint , by refusing to sign your contracts you have cemented yourselves in the same bracket as kodjia and Freeman , can’t believe two players who lets face it at any other club would of been binned off ages ago could show such disrespect to the club and fans as they have .

Mr. Galcub, 

May I advise adding some punctuation to avoid your posts becoming breathless rants? Punctuation can really help you make your point and clarify meaning. By way of example:

Restricted area; For parking” would imply that the area has been designated specifically for parking, whereas;

Restricted area for parking” would mean that parking is not allowed.

You can imagine the unfortunate outcomes that could ensue from this type of ambiguity. 

Archived