IGNORED

PA system - it’s getting embarrassing now .....

Denbury Red

You cant hear the interviews or the team announcements.  In an emergency, nobody will hear instructions.  The most annoying is not being able to hear the substitutions - that said, they must know that as they are now putting them on the screens.

A 40 million pound stadium and you would think a few bob could have been spent on a few new speakers.  Perhaps some of this years transfer surplus could be allocated to this problem.

Do any other clubs have such awful PAs?

And whist they are at it, perhaps some warm water and hot air for the toilets too.  LJ should be able to supply enough hot air at the moment.

10 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

You cant hear the interviews or the team announcements.  In an emergency, nobody will hear instructions.  The most annoying is not being able to hear the substitutions - that said, they must know that as they are now putting them on the screens.

A 40 million pound stadium and you would think a few bob could have been spent on a few new speakers.  Perhaps some of this years transfer surplus could be allocated to this problem.

And whist they are at it, perhaps some warm water and hot air for the toilets too.  LJ should be able to supply enough hot air at the moment.

On 18/08/2018 at 17:57, Robbored said:

I’m sooo glad it’s not just me!

Its been crap ever since the rebuild. It’s just as poor as it’s always been and despite me meeting MKelly and the FLO bloke absolutely bugger all  has been done to fix it.

All Ive had is platitudes.

Its a disgrace that the club has spent millions on new redevelopment but spend bugger all on a sound system that’s  fit for purpose.

They just don’t take the issue seriously...........

Sorry to sound like a broken record. But while I was working at the club I brought up the issues and told them I had solutions. My input was never acknowledged. 

They had a major issue with the radio mics at the start of my last season. Straight away I identified the issue and told the relevant person - my advice was ignored. After several months of tests and diagnostics, no doubt costing the club quite a bit, they figured out the problem and the solution.... guess what - it was the solution I said from the start. 

Since being sac..."leaving".... I have on many occasions - openly on this forum, offered to help with sorting the audio quality of the PA because I have the experience and knowledge to do so. Nobody has taken me up on my offer. Im still here if anyone wants to listen..... 

1 hour ago, Tim S said:

Sorry to sound like a broken record. But while I was working at the club I brought up the issues and told them I had solutions. My input was never acknowledged. 

They had a major issue with the radio mics at the start of my last season. Straight away I identified the issue and told the relevant person - my advice was ignored. After several months of tests and diagnostics, no doubt costing the club quite a bit, they figured out the problem and the solution.... guess what - it was the solution I said from the start. 

Since being sac..."leaving".... I have on many occasions - openly on this forum, offered to help with sorting the audio quality of the PA because I have the experience and knowledge to do so. Nobody has taken me up on my offer. Im still here if anyone wants to listen..... 

The inaudible PA gets raised by different posters on a regular basis. I find it incredible that we're now in our third season since redevelopment and I haven't heard one interview, announcement or substitution clearly since the Lansdown stand was opened. How can 70s technology have been better? I appreciate that the current system needs more volume and a greater dynamic range (for music) but come on, every other club has solved this impossible puzzle.

It's been said by many people before but this is a health and safety issue every bit as important as stewarding, segregation and standing/seating.

For the public record, if there's ever an incident that requires use of the PA to evacuate a stand or the stadium then threads like this will show the club was negligent in providing clear instruction. I hope this never happens.

And @Tim S I would put you back in post tomorrow if it was my choice. Pre-match and half-time have been a mess since you 'left'!

On 18/08/2018 at 14:51, Denbury Red said:

I’m sat in the Lower Lansdown and tried to hear what LJ has said in his interview - all I have heard is a succession of mumbling. 

Please can we get our PA system sorted once and for all!!!

Nothing wrong with the pa that's his usual voice 

It amazes me the amount of things our secretive SAG are allowed to ban or restrict on the flimsiest of pretexts and yet a clearly vital safety element in the ground like this is cheerfully ignored.

If it wasn't a state secret to know what goes on at these meetings I would suggest circumventing the club and raising the issue with them directly, but I presume there isn't a mechanism to do this @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO?

9 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

You can guarantee when they receive a date for a H&S Audit that it will get sorted.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Thing is, the PA probably sounds absolutely fine on a Monday afternoon in an empty stadium, it's when there is a match on that it's impossible.

Exactly that as evident from the tinkering of volume levels during previous two seasons. There's a more significant problem - the system is not fit for purpose.

Hi all, 

I understand everyone's frustrations around the PA as I have family and friends in different parts of the stadium who always tell me about what they can/cant hear. 

This is something that remains on our agenda and is raised every time we talk about stadium operations/match day experience with the team at Ashton Gate.  As soon as I get an update from them I will share it. As it stands they are looking at a project delivery to ensure the approach they take is fit for purpose across all areas of the ground. 

Matt 

3 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Hi all, 

I understand everyone's frustrations around the PA as I have family and friends in different parts of the stadium who always tell me about what they can/cant hear. 

This is something that remains on our agenda and is raised every time we talk about stadium operations/match day experience with the team at Ashton Gate.  As soon as I get an update from them I will share it. As it stands they are looking at a project delivery to ensure the approach they take is fit for purpose across all areas of the ground. 

Matt 

Thanks for the update - but bearing in mind this has been an issue for more years than I can remember- what’s the timescale??

I have often been to Anfield (over the past 8/9 years) and their PA system has always been absolutely fantastic- perhaps ask them what system they use cos it must be pretty old by now - but is still very very fit for purpose!

The only proper way to test it- as would be the only proper way to test emergency evacuation procedures- would be to pick a non match day and request as many fans as possible to turn up (would need to be a weekend) to best replicate PA system, and emergency evacuation in 'real' conditions.

Perhaps offer some sort of incentive to show up, I don't know what but as @Bristol Rob said it is probably absolutely fine on a non matchday in an essentially empty ground. No comparison to 19, 20,000 on a busy matchday none at all. Like night and day.

4 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Thanks for the update - but bearing in mind this has been an issue for more years than I can remember- what’s the timescale??

I have often been to Anfield (over the past 8/9 years) and their PA system has always been absolutely fantastic- perhaps ask them what system they use cos it must be pretty old by now - but is still very very fit for purpose!

Good question!

When we were in the old Dolman, we were told it would be ok when we're in our new stadium.  Then, it will get sorted when Ashton Gate is rebuilt.

Now, many years on, they are looking at a project delivery to ensure the approach they take is fit for purpose across all areas of the ground!

As stated by others, can't they just ask other clubs how they get their systems working?

We sent people to the moon in the 60's, why should this be so difficult in this day and age?

3 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

It was so bad in the South Stand that it sounded like Patterson was voted Man of the Match.

It would appear that alongside audio problems some seats are behind pillars

From the lower Dolman I'm sure I heard that "Patty's Son is a Fan of the Natch" which seems much more plausible..

12 minutes ago, 42nite said:

As stated by others, can't they just ask other clubs how they get their systems working?

We sent people to the moon in the 60's, why should this be so difficult in this day and age?

It’s an absolute disgrace that the club haven’t sorted the PA shambles out. It’s unprofessional and downright shoddy from those in charge of the stadium - is it still MKelly or has he been sacked through incompetence? 

They've known about it since the revamp but have done nothing to sort it out. 

Everything else about the rebuild is top drawer - all except the PA system. It’s crap and an embarrassment to the club.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s an absolute disgrace that the club haven’t sorted the PA shambles out. It’s unprofessional and downright shoddy from those in charge of the stadium - is it still MKelly or has he been sacked through incompetence? 

Everything else about the rebuild is top drawer - all except the PA system. It’s crap and an embarrassment to the club.

Just a shame nobody mentioned it before :whistle:

24 minutes ago, 42nite said:

Good question!

When we were in the old Dolman, we were told it would be ok when we're in our new stadium.  Then, it will get sorted when Ashton Gate is rebuilt.

Now, many years on, they are looking at a project delivery to ensure the approach they take is fit for purpose across all areas of the ground!

... or did we?

The response from the club official, stating that this is an issue that is constantly being raised and that the solution is part of a "project"basically shows that the club are not taking crowd safety seriously.  Yet safety is of paramount importance. 

I have been to 4 T20 games at the Brightside County Ground this season, and sat in pretty much every part of the ground.  The England v India international had around 15,000 spectators and the noise generated by the brilliant Indian fans was akin to celebrating every boundary/wicket as if a goal had been scored at a football match.  The music and various announcements played over the PA probably drives some traditional cricket fans bonkers, but I had total confidence that, in the event of any emergency or need to evacuate the ground, the PA system was so loud that everyone could hear any instructions.  Interestingly, for newcomers to the game, they have a 5 minute sequence on the big screen that shows the basic rules of a (T/20) cricket match, something similar on football on the big screens at AG might be of benefit to our coaching staff...

The point though is that they have got it right and I am sure that they would pass a check on the ability to communicate H&S issues to the crowd.  I am no legal expert, but I am sure that BCFC are not complying with sports ground spectator safety regulations.  The question is, if an enforcement agency threatened to close the ground or make the club play behind closed doors, how long do we think it would take to sort out the PA system? 

19 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Are they? I`ve been banging on about this for ages and certainly didn`t notice they had on Saturday. It might be that I just assumed it was the same and didn`t bother to look though.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Are they? I`ve been banging on about this for ages and certainly didn`t notice they had on Saturday. It might be that I just assumed it was the same and didn`t bother to look though.

Yes they have started putting the subs on the screens BUT (as LJ would say) only for the City subs.  Quite right that they should do this, but most fans can see who has gone off and come on within say 10 seconds, despite the inaudible announcements.  So why not put the away subs on the big screen as well, surely these are just as important?

1 minute ago, New Dazzler said:

Yes they have started putting the subs on the screens BUT (as LJ would say) only for the City subs.  Quite right that they should do this, but most fans can see who has gone off and come on within say 10 seconds, despite the inaudible announcements.  So why not put the away subs on the big screen as well, surely these are just as important?

More to the point, 90% of the crowd knows perfectly well who`s gone off/come on for us but unless you have an in depth knowledge of the Millwall/Hull/Blackburn/whoever squads you haven`t got a scooby who has for the opposition half the time.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

And the football team may I add?

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

And the football team may I add?

Archived