IGNORED

Ratings v QPR

Davefevs

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Pretty bang on for me @Super Maybe Lloyd an 8?

I definitely can’t agree with @Davefevs assessment of Maenpaa at 8. A goalie who scores an 8 plays fantastically well. He didn’t. Granted he saved everything he should save and caught everything he should catch. There were certainly no worldy saves, only ones he’d have been disappointed with if he hadn’t stopped them. 

Then there was his rush of blood and his 30 yard clearance straight to their attacker.  Both of which should have led to goals had QPR not been so absolutely tripe and Both of which would not be being ignored quite so much if a certain injured goalie had done them. 

A definite 6. 

How very dare you! ?

maybe a bit generous on reflection. A 7 then!!!!  That means he’s no longer my MOTM!!!!  I’ll re bound his house to collect his bottle of Blue Nun he got awarded!!!!

7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

What game did you watch, brownhill was awful? he had 2 assists crerated other chances rarely gave the ball away and tackled well in the middle

Funny how people can watch the same game and see it differently. When he got the ball, which was rare as it was like 2 teams bombarding each other from the back I dont think he showed his usual calm in a crowded midfield. He fought for 90 minutes, as they all did.

2 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Funny how people can watch the same game and see it differently. When he got the ball, which was rare as it was like 2 teams bombarding each other from the back I dont think he showed his usual calm in a crowded midfield. He fought for 90 minutes, as they all did.

Well the paper as well as pundits watched the same as the majority on here that he was man of the match 

I’d side with the majority on this one and say he had an outstanding game and was the best player on the park and that you got this horribly wrong

9 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

It was such a scrappy match that you could say most players in both teams were pretty dreadful. I think with a game like this you have to take in mind that both teams were playing aimless hoofball, yet Josh still managed to get two assists from midfield. Sometimes efficiency with the ball can be more important than how long you have it. 

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 23:19, hoxton casual said:

Very generous. Brownhill was awful, Webster and Pisanon competed and cleared their lines but their distribution was atrocious, Maenpaa was was a 6 at best with distribution of the Frankie type,  Eliason apart from the cross was absent, Kelly defended superbly but did not get forward to release the pressure and always took the easy sideways backwards pass, Taylor and Weiman were good especially with the service they got. Pack class.

QPR were even worse. Terrible game, great result.

:blink:

What? That comment is actually probably one of the worst I've seen on here

39 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

it was though, there were 3 poor clearances and a rush of blood that all could of lead to a goal, if frankie had done the same there would be a thread on here about it

50 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Have you watched the game? He kicked the ball straight to their player which nearly led to a goal and then he threw the ball straight into touch. He also dashed out and missed a tackle and they missed an open goal. Would you call that a good performance?

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

My dog could've got 2 assists that game. The amount of players that failed some simple 10 yard passes. Messy indeed. 

Well said Sturny. I was beginning to believe I was going nuts with some of the flack I have got on here. Great battling performance but little composure and passing.

9 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Well said Sturny. I was beginning to believe I was going nuts with some of the flack I have got on here. Great battling performance but little composure and passing.

This forum will have a bias opinion most of the time so I wouldn’t worry. Same with every other club’s forum tbf. 

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

it was though, there were 3 poor clearances and a rush of blood that all could of lead to a goal, if frankie had done the same there would be a thread on here about it

Maenpaa will have been under the same instructions as FF - to clear it out wide.

Now I’m not sure why that particular tactic is employed and we even saw it during the World Cup. Perhaps Soudski, Cowshed  or even former football scout BobbobSuperBob could explain it.

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Maenpaa will have been under the same instructions as FF - to clear it out wide.

Now I’m not sure why that particular tactic is employed and we even saw it during the World Cup. Perhaps Soudski, Cowshed  or even former football scout BobbobSuperBob could explain it.

Especially odd, as we had not height or physical presence to aim those balls at?

13 hours ago, marcofisher said:

It was such a scrappy match that you could say most players in both teams were pretty dreadful. I think with a game like this you have to take in mind that both teams were playing aimless hoofball, yet Josh still managed to get two assists from midfield. Sometimes efficiency with the ball can be more important than how long you have it. 

Fair point MF and I can see your point.

I’ve reflected on my 8 for Mäenpää, although I can’t edit my post, have knocked him down to a 7.  I thought his saves and presence deserved that.

I also had Webster as an 8, and I think I over-rated him too....a few sloppy passes and headed in opening 30 minutes....so a 7 too.

As a result, no player got more than a 7 in my ratings, which probably reflects it wasn’t 90 minutes of beautiful football.

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’ve always assumed it’s two fold.

Firstly you’re looking for your keeper to kick it into the midfield not to your strikers in the attempt to start an attack from there instead of your big man just winning a header that invariably gives the ball away.

Secondly in conjunction with that if you kick it down the middle, to your midfield, and lose the header then the risk of counter attack is high. Kicking out wide reduces this risk as chance of starting an effective counter from wide on halfway is pretty low. 

I don’t have any coaching badges though so that might all be total crap.

But you’re right a lot do it now, with varying levels of success.

9 minutes ago, jimmyb said:

Firstly you’re looking for your keeper to kick it into the midfield not to your strikers in the attempt to start an attack from there instead of your big man just winning a header that invariably gives the ball away.

Secondly in conjunction with that if you kick it down the middle, to your midfield, and lose the header then the risk of counter attack is high. Kicking out wide reduces this risk as chance of starting an effective counter from wide on halfway is pretty low. 

Seems a perfectly reasonable explanation to me, particularly the second paragraph. I wouldn’t call it crap.

The two guys who seem to know what they’re on about with tactics, Spuski and Cowshed haven’t  commented yet. It’d be interesting to see their take on it.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Seems a perfectly reasonable explanation to me, particularly the second paragraph. I wouldn’t call it crap.

The two guys who seem to know what they’re on about with tactics, Spuski and Cowshed haven’t  commented yet. It’d be interesting to see their take on it.

@jimmybCowshed amongst others has commented in the past that that is the exact reason that you gave in your initial post.

20 minutes ago, jimmyb said:

Archived