IGNORED

Marlon Pack and Lee Johnson ONE HOUR with Q and A interview

Never to the dark side

I found the Marlon ‘play in the cage’ - to ensure he doesn’t get exposed - comment interesting as well. Made me think that I haven’t seen Pack skinned for pace for a long time so clearly his positioning is working. 

Useful insight re LJ’s man management of Eliasson - they had dinner together at the end of last season to discuss his development/how he felt it was going etc.

It would be fascinating to see the VR - sounded like you could transport yourself back into the match to review errors/missed opportunities. 

Also comments re our form after international breaks being poor so this time they have changed the routine, ie changed the days off (off straight after the Blackburn match instead of having the break the following weekend). 

On 10/09/2018 at 22:12, Davefevs said:

Talked a bit about Transition from winning the ball back, and how in the first couple of games the players didn’t quite spot the opportunities to exploit the opposition by not passing forward quick enough...

Steady on DF - you’ll get comparisons with the ‘hugely successful cheat’ Mr Warnock with assertions like that! Getting the ball forward quickly?! How dare you?! We don’t do that, we play silky, possession football, across the field and back, we don’t ‘knock it forward quickly’ only successful teams do that.....and they get labelled ‘long ball merchants’ - on their way to the premier league...

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Steady on DF - you’ll get comparisons with the ‘hugely successful cheat’ Mr Warnock with assertions like that! Getting the ball forward quickly?! How dare you?! We don’t do that, we play silky, possession football, across the field and back, we don’t ‘knock it forward quickly’ only successful teams do that.....and they get labelled ‘long ball merchants’ - on their way to the premier league...

Actually Johnson went on to say that it doesn't necessarily mean a long ball or a punt forward, just spotting a progressive pass quickly.

59 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A ‘progressive pass quickly’ ?! More meaningless modern terminology....

In old money , " get it up the field pronto " .

It is a very interesting interview. Football has changed hugely with the money and pressure for results driving the game.

LJ shows passion for the club and the game . He clearly loves his job and the players obviously respect and appreciate him .

The head coach is also generous, stating that it is a club effort from the Owner  right down to the more modest contributions that affect the results on the pitch. It must be good to work for a person who includes you in the success of an organisation.

All in all it seems to be a happy ship and we can rest assured that the club is in safe hands.

Well done LJ .

:clap:

13 hours ago, eardun said:

Also comments re our form after international breaks being poor so this time they have changed the routine, ie changed the days off (off straight after the Blackburn match instead of having the break the following weekend). 

Just listened to this. Do I get a spotters badge? :whistle: Will be interesting to see if it has any effect. 

I suppose logically if you're going to continue training at the start of the break and then send the players away for a long weekend, there is every chance that all training prior to heading off will be a bit like the last days of term at school and everything communicated will be in one ear and out the other, as well as giving yourself a shorter period to "recover" your peak physical condition in time for the next fixture.

With 3 games in 6 days we'll see very quickly if this makes a difference - but sounds promising!

41 minutes ago, Olé said:

Just listened to this. Do I get a spotters badge? :whistle: Will be interesting to see if it has any effect. 

I suppose logically if you're going to continue training at the start of the break and then send the players away for a long weekend, there is every chance that all training prior to heading off will be a bit like the last days of term at school and everything communicated will be in one ear and out the other, as well as giving yourself a shorter period to "recover" your peak physical condition in time for the next fixture.

With 3 games in 6 days we'll see very quickly if this makes a difference - but sounds promising!

I must admit, I did think of you (not in that way ?) when this was brought up. I would like to think that from all we hear about this Management team and their keenness to try new things, that they would have already identified the issue of the "post international break syndrome" or PIBS for short. :) 

As you say, we will soon find out if this works, but the point is they have tried something different, if it doesn't work then they will have to rethink it, but at least it's not a case of "do as you always do".

Regarding 'football jargon or terminology'...Geoff pressed LJ on that issue in the interview...asking...'what does that mean, so that the average football fan can understand'...or words to that affect. They joked that even some of the Pro footballers struggled to understand the terminology sometimes. I should imagine it was even more difficult if English isn't your first language.

I'm sure the Coach's are aware of it and communicate to each individual accordingly.

1 minute ago, City Ben said:

On the quick progression, Johnson also said that that this didn't necessarily mean longer balls, but could mean "faster" balls. Fizzing them in in old fashioned parlance :) 

I think with the way we play, it would refer to quick decision making, especially in the final third.

Being able to receive the ball, with your body in the right position, to accept the pass and fluently move it on quickly through the lines.

In the past, we sometimes have dithered... either through poor positioning, a poorly paced pass or the positioning or movement of the next recipient.

It's clear to see that we like to play fast flowing football, one touch, through the lines instead of across them.

This takes so much skill and precision to do well.

Quick brain, quick feet, good body shape, fast movement, good control and quality of touch.

Get it wrong and it's intercepted. So many anomalies to think of when playing this way, especially when trying open up an opponent, express yourself without fear, and aware of keeping shape and covering one another.

3 hours ago, City Ben said:

On the quick progression, Johnson also said that that this didn't necessarily mean longer balls, but could mean "faster" balls. Fizzing them in in old fashioned parlance :) 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I think with the way we play, it would refer to quick decision making, especially in the final third.

Being able to receive the ball, with your body in the right position, to accept the pass and fluently move it on quickly through the lines.

In the past, we sometimes have dithered... either through poor positioning, a poorly paced pass or the positioning or movement of the next recipient.

It's clear to see that we like to play fast flowing football, one touch, through the lines instead of across them.

This takes so much skill and precision to do well.

Quick brain, quick feet, good body shape, fast movement, good control and quality of touch.

Get it wrong and it's intercepted. So many anomalies to think of when playing this way, especially when trying open up an opponent, express yourself without fear, and aware of keeping shape and covering one another.

I think our 2nd and 3rd goals last Sunday were good examples of what they are looking for. In the first half both Pack and Brownhill were taking the ball with their backs to play and left with either a pass bacl to the defenders or being caught in possession. If you look at third goal the play is broken up on the edge of our area and Pack is looking upfield immediately and picking out Weimann, it's only about a 20m pass, but it's the speed of thought and it appears that he almost had it mind before the pass was on. 
The second goal, the pace that Eliasson put on that cross is frightening, the defenders don't have time to reset their positions,  and I don't think enough people give Taylor credit for the way he took that pace into his chest and dropped it like a stone for Watkins. 

Both those goals show in different ways that, quick football doesn't have to be hitting it long for a greyhound like striker or a big target man to hold up, although I am sure @BS4 on Tour... will say it's just emperors new clothes. It might be to some extent, but it still takes a lot of work to get the whole squad thinking that way.

22 hours ago, eardun said:

Didn't someone already explain the reason for out poor form is that LJ has more time to coach the players???!!!

It's a bit of a strange one really.  I'd have thought the new approach would have been the default one?  Give them time off immediately, then prepare for the game.

Interesting Interview.  Pack really has taken the club and city to his heart.  Given the compliments LJ have about his tactical nouce, I can see him coaching and potentially managing the club in time.  

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think our 2nd and 3rd goals last Sunday were good examples of what they are looking for. In the first half both Pack and Brownhill were taking the ball with their backs to play and left with either a pass bacl to the defenders or being caught in possession. If you look at third goal the play is broken up on the edge of our area and Pack is looking upfield immediately and picking out Weimann, it's only about a 20m pass, but it's the speed of thought and it appears that he almost had it mind before the pass was on. 
The second goal, the pace that Eliasson put on that cross is frightening, the defenders don't have time to reset their positions,  and I don't think enough people give Taylor credit for the way he took that pace into his chest and dropped it like a stone for Watkins. 

Both those goals show in different ways that, quick football doesn't have to be hitting it long for a greyhound like striker or a big target man to hold up, although I am sure @BS4 on Tour... will say it's just emperors new clothes. It might be to some extent, but it still takes a lot of work to get the whole squad thinking that way.

The other good bit about that is his Weimann found that much space.  Was it lazy marking?  What is clever movement?  Was it a clever player noticing when his marker had switched off / ball watching, and sneaking into space?  It wasn’t the only time he found himself in 10-15 yards of space.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The other good bit about that is his Weimann found that much space.  Was it lazy marking?  What is clever movement?  Was it a clever player noticing when his marker had switched off / ball watching, and sneaking into space?  It wasn’t the only time he found himself in 10-15 yards of space.

I think it's clever movement Dave...I've watched all the games this season, even though I said I wasn't bothered that much...our movement up front is very clever. I've watched closely how switched on we are in the last 3rd...even when we had a 'poor' first half against Blackburn it was very small errors that could have gone either way that dictated whether it was a sublime move or poor.

We certainly play on the edge in the last third now, whilst keeping shape in the other two thirds.

It imo..is most certainly being coached, and I can now see exactly how LJ wants to play.

It's exciting but risky...hence spending on a good defence this year.

Archived