IGNORED

Torquay sack Gary Owers and appoint Gary Johnson

RedRock

11 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Yes, Clark Osborne is the owner- serial ground rip off merchant, lots of plans/talk about a new ground but the objective is to aquire a piece of development land (the ground) on the cheap.

Wasn't he involved with the Stadium Co. that (effectively) forced the Gas out of Eastville so they could sell the site to Ikea......name rings a bell.

Quasi modo???

14 hours ago, NickJ said:

Thought this had been done on here before. The owner of Torquay isn't interested in football or the football club. Playing the long game. The manager is irrelevant.

If true, and it may well be - I don't know the back story - , then why would he keep changing managers, thus incurring some form of compensation, and not just let the rot continue to set in.  Makes zero sense. 

Surely if he wants the club to go to the dogs, then keeping someone in place who is helping to take them there due to poor performance would help him achieve this quicker, wouldn't it?

56 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

New opponents for the yearly Johnson trophy! 

As if a pre season friendly at Torquay wasn't already on the cards! At least we'll take down a stronger team now!

As LJ was critical of Cheltenham's sacking, I suspect they will be wiped from the pre season fixture list

17 minutes ago, devoncider said:

As if a pre season friendly at Torquay wasn't already on the cards! At least we'll take down a stronger team now!

As LJ was critical of Cheltenham's sacking, I suspect they will be wiped from the pre season fixture list

Roll on next pre-season!!!

More silverware.

As I’ve mentioned in this and previous threads - living 8 miles for Torquay, and working with Torquay season ticket holders, their squad isn’t actually that bad - they just need direction and confidence. 

With Jake Andrews and Opi Edwards on loan I really think they have a chance of getting promoted back to the Conference - and then who knows 

GJ certainly knows that level of football, and Torquay are too big to stay this low for long!

Apparenly Owers left with no payment made to him according to local radio down here. 

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

.....I really think they have a chance of getting promoted back to the Conference - and then who knows 

......Torquay are too big to stay this low for long!

10 points and 13 places off the top already, will need to go almost unbeaten the rest of the season to get up automatically this season

Sadly that makes no difference at a footballing level

3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

If true, and it may well be - I don't know the back story - , then why would he keep changing managers, thus incurring some form of compensation, and not just let the rot continue to set in.  Makes zero sense. 

Surely if he wants the club to go to the dogs, then keeping someone in place who is helping to take them there due to poor performance would help him achieve this quicker, wouldn't it?

I think it's more the same situation as with Rovers' owners.  The land and development profits are the real interest but, despite not wanting to put more money in to support the football club, they would be delighted by success on the pitch as it brings in more revenue.

They don't want Torquay United to go to the dogs; they'd be much happier if it was in the Premiership earning them money.  But they're not prepared to pay for this so will keep changing managers if they look like being relegated again; it's cheaper than buying the players and paying the wages to get them promoted.

52 minutes ago, phantom said:

10 points and 13 places off the top already, will need to go almost unbeaten the rest of the season to get up automatically this season

10 points is nothing.

Wait and see; if Johnson genuinely has a decent squad and can add to it he will have them up there when it matters but unbeaten for the rest of the season will not happen but equally unnecessary.

55 minutes ago, phantom said:

Sadly that makes no difference at a footballing level

Or ..... 3 points off the play off places and then who knows with momentum!

Always Believe!!

From what I've seen Torquay have a fairly decent squad, the only full time squad in the league I believe. All they are lacking us confidence,  if ever there's a man to get this team winning in this situation it's GJ. 

Good luck to him in what will surely be his last managers job. 

8 hours ago, 22A said:

Elsewhere, Hereford have sacked their Manager Peter Beadle.

Genuinely surprised by this.

Just looked it up and they have played 8 won 3 drawn 2 and lost 3, I wouldn't say that's a record that should result in dismissal.

After 3 promotions your always going to get to a point where the success levels out but it seems their board have very high expectations following the previous successes.

Archived