IGNORED

Aston Villa (H) Fri 20:00 - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

Lots of connections between the clubs.  The return of Adomah, Bolassie, Kodjia and Abraham.  Re-acquaintance for Baker, Weimann and Murray with their former club.  Bree and Hourihane with their former manager.  Mark Bunn with the Bristol Hotel and a series of bakery puns?  Okay, took that too far!

The Villa Squad:

Massively under strength according to their manager, who’s now had two years in charge...how tough for him.D100C6D9-56BA-4284-81E7-1242DBCF478C.jpeg.36bed0d6e63730029db1a1fe3e7751aa.jpeg

Looks like a 442 since Abraham has signed, having been 4231 earlier in the season.  Many more recognisable names than Wigan last week, yet for all the supposed quality on paper, they’ve not got going just yet....starting with two wins, but now only one win in 7.

Goalie:  Orjan Nyland, Norwegian international signed in the summer.  Not seen much but looks a shot stopper, but prone to a mistake.  Mark Bunn the back up, and subject to a failed bid from us a couple of seasons ago.

Right Back: Elmohamady - Bruce’s “son" and on his day a very good player down the right, but can go missing in games.  Likes to get forward.

Left Back: Alan Hutton - Scottish international, vastly experienced, and likes a tackle.  Disciplinary record nowhere as bad as what I thought, but plays on the edge.  Good engine, despite his age (33).

Centre Backs: Chester - cost a lot of money and I think benefitted from Terry’s experience last season.  Not a leader in my book, despite being captain.  Jedinak - Aussie midfielder who in playing CB and I think it shows.  Tries to play at the wrong time and not an ideal partner for Chester.  My Villa supporting colleague would rather young Axel Tuanzebe play alongside Chester (not seen him play).

Right Wing: Adomah - played for City when I rarely got to the Gate, but on here is spoken about in glowing terms, so I can’t add anything to what you already know.  Much as he loves us he’s my dangerman tomorrow night.

Centre Midfield: McGinn - signed from Hibs in the summer and a well liked player on OTIB transfer sub-forum.  Only seen small bits of him, but last week’s stunning goal has brought him to everyone’s attention.  Busy player, who can do all the things a CM needs to.  Hourihane - always rated him since his Plymouth days.  Lovely left foot and we will have to watch both around the box tomorrow.

Left Wing: Grealish - really like him as a footballer, first seeing him for Notts County in 13/14.  Not been at the top of his game, but wonder if new contract might be the spark, unless it was signed purely to get value in a January raid.  Carries the ball, commits players and has an edge.  Incredible that two other wingers, Bolassie and El-Hazi (who can play up front) are not starters.

Strikers: Abraham and Kodjia - not much to add, you all know their games.

Others: Whelan - combative DM with lots of experience. Bjarnason - Icelandic winger, who I really rate.  I’m assuming Neil Taylor (LB)  Hogan (ST) are injured, Keenan Davis is, assuming Lansbury out of favour.

How do we beat Villa?

Simply, defend well, attack well!  There is no doubt their strength is their front 6, unless Whelan gets the nod, and I think Weimann could find pockets of space to really hurt them, if we can get ball to him and he can turn.

Playing the same 442 as us, would make you think that we’ll play our usual 442 also.  I do wonder whether LJ nay throw a surprise and outnumber their 2 in CM especially as neither is defensively minded.  Could we see Walsh or O’Dowda in a 3, or even Hegeler get a surprise call-up?  Outnumber McGinn and Hourihane and stifle their supply to the widemen and their front two.

We need to play on their defensive frailties.  I really don’t see their defence gaining them promotion...their attack might!  We need to get that first goal, take our chances.

Think our full-backs will be asked to stay at home a bit more than normal, and we will attack as a front 6, whether that be 4-2, 3-3, or 5-1.  Don’t want Villa to play on the counter with Kodjia’s pace, no slouches in the others either.

Finally....Matty Taylor to get the nod as Weimann’s partner if we go 442.  Think he can rattle Jedinak and Chester, and that could be key.  Don’t think LJ will, but I would be very tempted to start him.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Lots of connections between the clubs.  The return of Adomah, Bolassie, Kodjia and Abraham.  Re-acquaintance for Baker, Weimann and Murray with their former club.  Bree and Hourihane with their former manager.  Mark Bunn with the Bristol Hotel and a series of bakery puns?  Okay, took that too far!

The Villa Squad:

Massively under strength according to their manager, who’s now had two years in charge...how tough for him.D100C6D9-56BA-4284-81E7-1242DBCF478C.jpeg.36bed0d6e63730029db1a1fe3e7751aa.jpeg

Looks like a 442 since Abraham has signed, having been 4231 earlier in the season.  Many more recognisable names than Wigan last week, yet for all the supposed quality on paper, they’ve not got going just yet....starting with two wins, but now only one win in 7.

Goalie:  Orjan Nyland, Norwegian international signed in the summer.  Not seen much but looks a shot stopper, but prone to a mistake.  Mark Bunn the back up, and subject to a failed bid from us a couple of seasons ago.

Right Back: Elmohamady - Bruce’s “son" and on his day a very good player down the right, but can go missing in games.  Likes to get forward.

Left Back: Alan Hutton - Scottish international, vastly experienced, and likes a tackle.  Disciplinary record nowhere as bad as what I thought, but plays on the edge.  Good engine, despite his age (33).

Centre Backs: Chester - cost a lot of money and I think benefitted from Terry’s experience last season.  Not a leader in my book, despite being captain.  Jedinak - Aussie midfielder who in playing CB and I think it shows.  Tries to play at the wrong time and not an ideal partner for Chester.  My Villa supporting colleague would rather young Axel Tuanzebe play alongside Chester (not seen him play).

Right Wing: Adomah - played for City when I rarely got to the Gate, but on here is spoken about in glowing terms, so I can’t add anything to what you already know.  Much as he loves us he’s my dangerman tomorrow night.

Centre Midfield: McGinn - signed from Hibs in the summer and a well liked player on OTIB transfer sub-forum.  Only seen small bits of him, but last week’s stunning goal has brought him to everyone’s attention.  Busy player, who can do all the things a CM needs to.  Hourihane - always rated him since his Plymouth days.  Lovely left foot and we will have to watch both around the box tomorrow.

Left Wing: Grealish - really like him as a footballer, first seeing him for Notts County in 13/14.  Not been at the top of his game, but wonder if new contract might be the spark, unless it was signed purely to get value in a January raid.  Carries the ball, commits players and has an edge.  Incredible that two other wingers, Bolassie and El-Hazi (who can play up front) are not starters.

Strikers: Abraham and Kodjia - not much to add, you all know their games.

Others: Whelan - combative DM with lots of experience. Bjarnason - Icelandic winger, who I really rate.  I’m assuming Neil Taylor (LB)  Hogan (ST) are injured, Keenan Davis is, assuming Lansbury out of favour.

How do we beat Villa?

Simply, defend well, attack well!  There is no doubt their strength is their front 6, unless Whelan gets the nod, and I think Weimann could find pockets of space to really hurt them, if we can get ball to him and he can turn.

Playing the same 442 as us, would make you think that we’ll play our usual 442 also.  I do wonder whether LJ nay throw a surprise and outnumber their 2 in CM especially as neither is defensively minded.  Could we see Walsh or O’Dowda in a 3, or even Hegeler get a surprise call-up?  Outnumber McGinn and Hourihane and stifle their supply to the widemen and their front two.

We need to play on their defensive frailties.  I really don’t see their defence gaining them promotion...their attack might!  We need to get that first goal, take our chances.

Think our full-backs will be asked to stay at home a bit more than normal, and we will attack as a front 6, whether that be 4-2, 3-3, or 5-1.  Don’t want Villa to play on the counter with Kodjia’s pace, no slouches in the others either.

Finally....Matty Taylor to get the nod as Weimann’s partner if we go 442.  Think he can rattle Jedinak and Chester, and that could be key.  Don’t think LJ will, but I would be very tempted to start him.

Really enjoy these write ups @Davefevs, agree with you completely about Taylor tonight but think Fam will start. Wouldn’t surprise me if we went 5 in midfield a bit like Sheffield Utd and then change in second half.

For me the key is an early goal, I’m convinced that was our game plan against WBA , and had we got it could have been a very different result. Villa are weak at the back , and we need to exploit it. 

I must add I think managers like Bruce, Pulis and Rowett tiresome, thx squads those  three have are tremendous and yet the squads aren’t good enough. Coach your players !

10 minutes ago, BigTone said:

So I've been made repugnant !  Cast out onto the street like a snotty tissue into the recycling bin ! 

Don’t want your obvious talents going stale ahead of the match day thread.  You creative types, left side of the brain, etc, etc, needs time to cultivate the thoughts! Honestly ?

54 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

When we played WBA everyone said they had a great attack but poor defence. Similar story with Villa.

We saw against wba that quality in front of goal is what makes the difference. We missed our chances while they were clinical.

Hope it turns out differently tonight but I fear it may be a similar story.

Yep, hadn’t really thought of it like that. ?

@daored

Bruce, Pulis and Rowett not great but some of those squads better on paper than in reality.

'Championship proven' isn't always the go-to way to escape this League of course. However Wolves broke the mould, Huddersfield broke the mould to name 2- could be argued Fulham in some ways too.

Good coaching is of course part of it but recruitment that isn't simply doesn't look for the best in the League..Wolves have Mendes, Huddersfield cultivated contacts of Wagner in Germany and Jokanovic rebuilt Fulham and they had a mix of Championship, foreign and young players.

10 years ago of course 'Championship proven' would have been a surefire success- not least because most sides played 4-4-2 so when tactics similar, then players and experience become decisive- things moved on big time since then in this League!

As for tonight, will be tough but we can certainly win. Would quite like to see a 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 in the first half at least as Grealish will come inside and Kodjia can pull out wide- real risk of getting outnumbered if we go 4-4-2 IMO.

Anothee great pre match summary Dave and I agree with pretty much all of that.  Villa don't seem to have fully clicked yet and I hope tonight is not the time they do. Is going to be a veey tough match for us, especially coming of the back of 2 straight defeats.  At least the players should be up for this one, unlike the Wigan game.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Villa fans at work (lots of them) are in a right depressive state. 

Theyd snap our hands off for a point. 

They have a great squad on paper, but Birmingham Mail online poll (6000 votes) currently has 56% City win, 28% Villa win, 16% draw.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t want your obvious talents going stale ahead of the match day thread.  You creative types, left side of the brain, etc, etc, needs time to cultivate the thoughts! Honestly ?

It's Ok, I know when I'm not loved

Think they almost have to play 442 with Tammy and Kodjia. If not that is a big sign of respect.

Their problem is they are trying to get a front 4 of star players to gel and honestly most need the ball at feet to do so. It is not a great combination of team players but top champ individuals. Then playing a back 4 of out of position players. A cdm at cb. A rb at lb. A rm or cb at rb. Tough job for Bruce who looks like he is just chucking individual talents and names together. They’d be a lot more balanced with a COD on one wing and a Weimann up front. They don’t have that though. 

Have to be wary because they could click at any moment but I do fancy us to play well. Whether we get 3 points, 1 point or none I am not as confident in saying. 

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think they almost have to play 442 with Tammy and Kodjia. If not that is a big sign of respect.

Their problem is they are trying to get a front 4 of star players to gel and honestly most need the ball at feet to do so. It is not a great combination of team players but top champ individuals. Then playing a back 4 of out of position players. A cdm at cb. A rb at lb. A rm or cb at rb. Tough job for Bruce who looks like he is just chucking individual talents and names together. They’d be a lot more balanced with a COD on one wing and a Weimann up front. They don’t have that though. 

Have to be wary because they could click at any moment but I do fancy us to play well. Whether we get 3 points, 1 point or none I am not as confident in saying. 

Don’t you just love it when you prepare a thread based on Villa playing a 442, and Bruce goes and plays a 433/451.  It was LJ who I thought might be the “tinkerman”.  I think it was a bit of respect, but also awareness of their back 4 can be got at.  Surprised it was Bjarneson who played the anchor though, but ultimately his goal got Bruce the point.

McGinn looks a decent player in the flesh, and Hourihane’s quality set pieces were a threat all.  We defended them very well, apart from the goal.

Archived