IGNORED

If you think you are a Bristol City senior red

Never to the dark side

It’s actually £17 for 3 courses. I’ve been before and the food is OK, but not earth shattering 

LUNCHEON MENU  £17.00

A] Chicken liver pate, apple chutney & sour-dough toast     OR

B] Fruit Juice

C] Braised beef, rosemary mash, wild mushrooms & jus     OR

D] Lentils, squash & coriander stuffed Savoy Cabbage, mushrooms & tomato dressing (V) OR

E] Ham Salad    OR

F] Cheese Salad 

G] Chocolate & crème filled profiteroles    OR

H] Ice Cream

I’m a regular Senior Red attender but have to say the last  3 or 4  menu’s have been very disappointing and certainly not value for money.

I guess the chef decides what’s on the menu but his choices have been decidedly uninspiring.

Im away on hols for the next lunch so hopefully the menu will have improved for the November luncheon.

7 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

? A glass of fruit juice as a starter.

Welcome to 1975.

And that’s one option that’s pisses off quite a few. If you don’t like the chicken liver pate then its orange juice or nothing. A soup of some kind would be a more inspiring option. The chef knows in advance how many to cater for so I can only guess that OJ is far cheaper.....and of course less effort.

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Fruit juice, cheese salad and ice cream for seventeen quid...

You can only assume that they've booked the Dalai Lama* as guest speaker and that the difference between the price of a Boots Meal Deal and the cost is being used to fly old DalBoy in for the afternoon.

*Not a Spurs player.

It was a tenner when joined but has almost doubled in cost in the last few years with no decernable improvement in food quality.

The major complaints are virtually always about the quality of the food but nothing seems to change much. Some of the guys on our table reckon that the chefs are working to a profit margin which is why the menu is so limited whereas one guy thinks that the club don’t give a shit about a bunch of old farts.......

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was a tenner when joined but has almost doubled in cost in the last few years with no decernable improvement in food quality.

The major complaints are virtually always about the quality of the food but nothing seems to change much. Some of the guys on our table reckon that the chefs are working to a profit margin which is why the menu is so limited whereas one guy thinks that the club don’t give a shit about a bunch of old farts.......

Time to move lunch to the bowls club RR?

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sounds like a bit from column A and a bit from Column B.

For that price, you would be better off going to a pub for lunch and then just going to the Sports Bar (or similar) for a social after.

There are probably people who sell bottled water wishing they could get a profit margin like that.

Its all about personal taste but the main menu food is generally pretty good IMO. I agree its expensive if you have the salad option and ice cream but the menu is put on the site at least 2 weeks before the actual lunch so if its not to your liking you don't have to attend. We always have a guest speaker ranging from SL through to the groundman. We usually get good info compared to the  guesswork on this site. I agree with Robbored though that I don't think the club would care if the Senior Reds folded. This is a theme that comes up in conversation most lunches. Its £7.50  a year to become a member and you can then pick and chose which lunches you attend or not. Give it a try, you just might enjoy it and you can always get to meet Robbored if nothing else!

I only go if there is a really good speaker (though that’s guess work as you don’t really know what they are going to say). As @marmite said, it’s only £7.50 per year starting in August, so it might be worth taking a risk. I haven’t been to any this year, nor will go to the October one, so it’s borderline if I’ll get value for money - i e if I go to 3 this year that’s £2.50 per event (£7.50 / 3) plus £17.00 = £19.50. Throw in a couple of pints and it’s getting close to £30, for something that might be good, might be OK but might be a bit dull. I guess the average age of attendees must be over 70 and, to me, it’s a long drawn out event designed for people who have plenty of time  

In summary, unless it’s a really interesting  speaker, have a good lunch time pub meal with a few friends instead 

26 minutes ago, phantom said:

For an event aimed at retired people, £17 for that menu is piss poor at any level 

It does smack of 'lets send you home hungry, having lifted almost 15% of your state income...'

But hey - get the orange juice and your chances of getting scurvy will be reduced.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I only go if there is a really good speaker (though that’s guess work as you don’t really know what they are going to say

In summary, unless it’s a really interesting  speaker, have a good lunch time pub meal with a few friends instead 

Unless I’m on holiday, like next week I go regardless of who the speaker is.  Fact is most are excellent but the two analysts looked pretty dull on the email but turned out to be the best we had last season. Twentyman was excellent as well. 

Point being that you can’t tell in advance what the speaker will be like and that’s why I rarely miss a monthly luncheon. 

For the luncheon menu.

The dessert looks fairly so so- you can get some terrific ice cream, had some excellent stuff in Italy but would this be top of the range stuff?  Possibly not.Decent but not earth shattering.

The main sounds alright- better than the dessert, probably the best of the bunch.

Starter of fruit juice though?? Someone is vegetarian for example, fruit juice as a starter? First time I've ever heard of that offering.

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Starter of fruit juice though?? Someone is vegetarian for example, fruit juice as a starter? First time I've ever heard of that offering.

I last saw fruit juice as a starter on a menu probably around 1973.........possibly in a Berni Inn ( hadn't they moved onto Prawn Cocktail by then though?)  - but more likely at a cheapskate wedding reception !

50 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I last saw fruit juice as a starter on a menu probably around 1973.........possibly in a Berni Inn ( hadn't they moved onto Prawn Cocktail by then though?)  - but more likely at a cheapskate wedding reception !

The menu definitely needs improvement but I can’t see it changing given the financial issues the chefs have to work within. The club is after all trying to generate as much revenue as possible from all revenue streams at AG and obviously catering is one of them.

Still leaves lots of us more senior guys a little disgruntled tho - not that that’ll bother the club.

And yep, CR my first game at AG was in 1967.......age 12......with my schoolmate and his dad........can’t remember much about the game either. Years and years later I looked it up and it was against Oxford and a goalless draw......amazing that I ever went back.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The menu definitely needs improvement but I can’t see it changing given the financial issues the chefs have to work within. The club is after all trying to generate as much revenue as possible from all revenue streams at AG and obviously catering is one of them.

Financial issues the chefs are working with?!?!

They only way they can justify that price for a glass of squash, a cheese salad and a 99 would be if they turned round and said, 'we'd love to give you more, but I need to fill up the tank on my 747, and the pot washer has designs on another Faberge egg as he is missing a few from his collection.'

Is a tall white hat the modern equivalent of the mask Dick Turpin wore?

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Financial issues the chefs are working with?!?!

They only way they can justify that price for a glass of squash, a cheese salad and a 99 would be if they turned round and said, 'we'd love to give you more, but I need to fill up the tank on my 747, and the pot washer has designs on another Faberge egg as he is missing a few from his collection.'

Is a tall white hat the modern equivalent of the mask Dick Turpin wore?

I’m not sure you quite grasp what the ethos is these days around AG........

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Oh, I do. But there is having a laugh at the customers expense and there is taking the piss to such a degree that you'll be on a drip for a fortnight just to rehydrate.

There’s definitely and element of that with the Senior Reds lunches BR.

Archived