IGNORED

Plastic

NickJ

2 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Ironic thread, as avoiding meat and dairy is the single best thing one can do to reduce one's environmental impact on the planet. 

Bang on.

Though one of my favourite people ever, James Lovelock, the man behind Gaia Theory, parts of the Viking Program, and the electron capture detector, is convinced that we've pushed the earth too far. This leading climate scientist believes there is no way back, Earth will self regulate eventually, but our parasitic nature has all but murdered the planet.

Either we will have massive deserts across the equator, and huge migration north and south, leading to a lack of natural resources and thusly people being forced to a simpler, more economical way of life, or the Singularity will **** up society beyond all recognition anyway.

32 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

@NickJ @Full nelson @Robbored

The stadium team have come back and said that the aspiration is always to reduce platinum waste, and in the meantime the waste contract with ETM allows them to recycle 100% on our behalf and avoid any landfill. 

Matt

Platinum waste? They are very fancy milk cartons we have!

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

Takes 5 milk plastic things for my over priced £2.50 cup of coffee.

That's a lot of landfill and not too good for the environment - and I'm not even a tree hugger.

Any chance Bristol Sport could catch up with the rest of the planet and put big jugs of milk out.

Think that's a question for @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

maybe.

Cheers

I think you may be the main part of the problem here. They’re probably catering for the usual sort of person who uses one helping of milk, not five. How many sugars, eight?

4 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

I’ll pass your feedback onto the Ashton Gat catering team. Nick

Could you ask them about doing fizzy drinks in paper cups using paper straws as well. Surely the profit margin would be higher on this than serving plastic bottles of Sprite, Cola etc. Plus helpful to the environment... 

5 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

The stadium team have come back and said that the aspiration is always to reduce platinum waste, and in the meantime the waste contract with ETM allows them to recycle 100% on our behalf and avoid any landfill. 

Matt

Thanks Matt

That's encouraging, although "allows them to", does this happen in practice? The plastic sachets are put into bins along with the silver paper on the top, coffee cups, teabags, and other debris. If this is sifted through I'd be pleasantly surprised, but  even if so, there'd still be in my view an unnecessary environmental issue, in terms of manufacture, transport, the recycling and re-manufacturing process, and also I'm no expert but doesn't all plastic shed particles into the environment?

23 hours ago, NickJ said:

Takes 5 milk plastic things for my over priced £2.50 cup of coffee.

That's a lot of landfill and not too good for the environment - and I'm not even a tree hugger.

Any chance Bristol Sport could catch up with the rest of the planet and put big jugs of milk out.

Think that's a question for @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

maybe.

Cheers

Susceptible to being sneezed into though.

Drink your tea with some milk rather than some tea for your milk I reckon. 

14 minutes ago, TBW said:

Susceptible to being sneezed into though.

Drink your tea with some milk rather than some tea for your milk I reckon. 

Much rather have hands free fresh milk dispenser machines.. contamination free, milk kept at optimum temperature... no waste/litter to dispose of etc.. (individual portions of 'long life' milk are always shite anyway ) 

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

Thanks Matt

That's encouraging, although "allows them to", does this happen in practice? The plastic sachets are put into bins... 

... they won't be sorting. Nor will they be recycling. They'll be taking it to the avonmouth incinerator and burning it... Thats how they avoid landfill. When it's burned it releases CO2 which heats the atmosphere. Easily solved with milk jugs.

22 hours ago, HIGHRIDGE BCFC said:

The coffee shop at the far left of the Lansdown concourse (closest to the Atyeo) does have a pair of milky filled jugs (oo er) instead of the little plastic things.

You can even get a nice Flat White, Latte or Cappuccino from there too rather than just normal coffee.

Bloody gentrification! ;)

I too am concerned that they are saying they recycle 100%, no way. The theory is there but they aren’t going to take away the waste and sort through and recycle to that extent, if at all.

i think the main reason for avoiding using jugs is laziness and convenience. The food area will soon get messy if people are pouring from jugs I know from experience that it’s not easy for people to pour and move out of the way quickly when there is a crowd, queues soon build up and as I said there are spillages. It’s far easier to bung people a couple of sachets of milk and have them move away quickly. It doesn’t make it the right thing to do though. Staff will have to be available to keep the area clean, and whilst they are doing that they aren’t serving.

As I said, lazy and convenientfor the staff,  not the consumer or the environment.

22 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Could you ask them about doing fizzy drinks in paper cups using paper straws as well. Surely the profit margin would be higher on this than serving plastic bottles of Sprite, Cola etc. Plus helpful to the environment... 

Paper straws are the worst

8 hours ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

... they won't be sorting. Nor will they be recycling. They'll be taking it to the avonmouth incinerator and burning it... Thats how they avoid landfill. When it's burned it releases CO2 which heats the atmosphere. Easily solved with milk jugs.

52 minutes ago, RedM said:

I too am concerned that they are saying they recycle 100%, no way. The theory is there but they aren’t going to take away the waste and sort through and recycle to that extent, if at all.

That's what I would think too.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO could this be clarified?

But as I say even if the plastic is recycled, there is still an environmental issue.

Large jugs of milk, or a milk dispenser, are the way forward?

Cheers,

The rugby a few seasons ago had a scheme where you could put a quid deposit down on a thick plastic pint cup (with Bristol rugby printed on it etc) and then got something like 30p off per pint when they got it refilled. Then could get their quid back when they handed it back in, or had a reasonably decent cup to take home as a souvenir. Granted it’s still plastic cups, I can’t see football bringing in metal ones like at Glastonbury (because you know, football fans can’t be trusted apparently), but it will cut down on the single use plastics significantly. Say 500 people bought one and had 3 pints each, that’s 1500 single use plastic cups saved per game. That’s 34,500 over 23 home league games. 

13 minutes ago, NickJ said:

That's what I would think too.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO could this be clarified?

But as I say even if the plastic is recycled, there is still an environmental issue.

Large jugs of milk, or a milk dispenser, are the way forward?

Cheers,

I00% agree.

It would definitely be a step in the right direction but we have to remember that this a football club we’re dealing with and it’s all about the cost of everything. It’s a micro government....

I’m sure the catering officer goes for whatever the best deal for the club that’s available - the cheapest.

The only way things would improve on the plastic issue would be for a directive to come down from SL himself.

21 minutes ago, Dredd said:

The rugby a few seasons ago had a scheme where you could put a quid deposit down on a thick plastic pint cup (with Bristol rugby printed on it etc) and then got something like 30p off per pint when they got it refilled. Then could get their quid back when they handed it back in, or had a reasonably decent cup to take home as a souvenir. Granted it’s still plastic cups, I can’t see football bringing in metal ones like at Glastonbury (because you know, football fans can’t be trusted apparently), but it will cut down on the single use plastics significantly. Say 500 people bought one and had 3 pints each, that’s 1500 single use plastic cups saved per game. That’s 34,500 over 23 home league games. 

Yes - when we were in the Prem but not in the Championship last year. Now it’s back again with branded Bears 1 pint and 2 pint mugs. I’m pretty sure that these are all reusable and the only option ie there are no single use plastic mugs used at all. 

21 minutes ago, Dredd said:

They still do this at the rugby, not sure of the deposit costs but at the end of the game you can find hoards of kids ( and adults) with armfulls of these cups scowering the stands for more that people have left and then queueing up to get the deposits back. Must be worth their while as I’ve seen a few arguments with people almost fighting over cups too!

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Yes - when we were in the Prem but not in the Championship last year. Now it’s back again with branded Bears 1 pint and 2 pint mugs. I’m pretty sure that these are all reusable and the only option ie there are no single use plastic mugs used at all. 

I’m pretty sure there is the choice of both, as I said in my last post I’ve seen kids grabbing the deposit cups at the end of the game and the single use ones have just been left on the floor.

• Admin
On 25/10/2018 at 09:14, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Matt

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO can you confirm the stadium team is looking to reduce its reliance on platinum? As a club that doesn’t benefit from parachute payments and with platinum coming in at £650/oz I'm concerned that we are even using it, let alone with such a blasé attitude that we think we can afford to waste it. Thanks in advance ??

Archived