IGNORED

Reading v Bristol City Match Day 16

Septic Peg

A very strange game , we should have won it .

We played some nice stuff in midfield but the defence played like strangers in the night and our forward line had as much menace as a bag of marshmallows.

Cow's arses and banjos were not troubled this afternoon.

Dare I say it but perhaps young Max needs a break. 

Supply to Elliasson was awful.

Reading were down and out after we equalised and we should have buried them but sadly gifted them all three points, 

What to make of it ? 

Not consistent enough. We thought we'd win and played like it was a given . 

Very disappointed to come away with nothing.

6 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

So this popped up on the old Twitter TL yesterday...

Scary stuff eh?

No.

It's a parody account as can be seen in some of the replies made to it. That or it's an account ran by 13 year olds. 

But it got me thinking. Ask any opposition fan and most will agree. Most Reading fans are quiet. Anyone who's ever experienced the Madejski will tell you it's boring, soulless, a bowl, no atmosphere, sterile etc. The stadium is a good distance (probably deliberately) from the town centre (2 miles) so again, a good following on the piss prior means you've sobered up by the time you've walked it.

Reading are a stuck in the mud Champ team and occasionally get maybe a play off spot and a year in the PL or drift towards the bottom of the Champ. There is little to be excited about when you think of them. They are the Everton of the Championship.

So why on earth are coach loads of City fans making that trip up the M4 as I type?

Reading (A) is probably one of the most desired fixtures on the list for us. It's been sold out for ages and OTIB, FB and Twitter are littered with pleas for spares.

Simply put, aside from the Brum clubs, Reading is our closest away day. Even Swansea (A) would take longer. So naturally, our fans will make that journey and be home in time for MOTD.

On to today...

City's sloppy seconds (technically thirds but whatever...) Sam Baldock will probably play but will make way sometime in the second half for Reading bad boy Mo Barrow who is back from suspension. 

This has a boring draw written all over it. Either 1-1 or 2-2. I can't decide.

Safe travels to all on the M4 today.

COYR!

Thanks Peg. Hope it all went off without a hitch for all fans.

52 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Fammy has not played well for a few weeks, no first touch, not really a physical presence. Not quite sure what he brings to the team. Piss poor today

Fammy?  -  More like  "Famine"

55 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

Can someone tell me how £5m Famara has contributed to this game apart from making up numbers?

Pass

4 minutes ago, no_merde said:

This anti-Johnson rubbish always happens after we lose. Fan’s often forget that we’re in the Championship because of this family. Perhaps if we started showing more respect things would start improving 

We wont forget what his family has done but this is football and time to move on now, we can't keep the guy cus his Dad gave us some great memories . 

2 minutes ago, Brann-red said:

Don’t get me started on those sheep pies. Me and the boy shared one and I was  not impressed.  

ooh mine was lovely even though it had obviously been in the oven since August 

11 minutes ago, no_merde said:

This anti-Johnson rubbish always happens after we lose. Fan’s often forget that we’re in the Championship because of this family. Perhaps if we started showing more respect things would start improving 

How is respect going to change anything? 

36 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I can't read a lot of this end of the world bullshit. Yea we lost and that's pretty shit but when I read crap like we can't score, can't create chances etc after we have scored 2 goals and had 21 shots then those comments are laughable.

We went away and played like the home side, that's not an easy thing to do. 

To me it's very clear we are implementing a system, a system that takes time to learn. Whilst I'm disappointed to lose I am encouraged by some of our play today.

Listen we had a bit of bad luck today, it happens, time to move on and take the positives from the game.

Whats this system? 

Players are meant to be bought to fit it and those here should have the understanding of how it works.

Lee Johnson has had years to put this in place.

26 minutes ago, no_merde said:

This post makes no sense at all.  If you're going to support LJ at least have a reasonable basis to start from.

48 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

To me it's very clear we are implementing a system, a system that takes time to learn. Whilst I'm disappointed to lose I am encouraged by some of our play today.

Too true … Implementing this new cistern should wait till November.

Pre season should be spent on important things like getting sun on their backs in Portugal and conditioning beards.

43 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Can't take anything for granted in football, we could end up as champions or we could not win a game for the rest of the season. 

However, going off of how we have started I can see us being solid mid table, just like where we are now

That’s a shame 

43 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Can't take anything for granted in football, we could end up as champions or we could not win a game for the rest of the season. 

However, going off of how we have started I can see us being solid mid table, just like where we are now

Pub's open

Very worrying to lose against the worst team I’ve seen this season. Close to a shambles. 

How many saves has O’Leary made? I’m sure he’s just picked it out of the net 3 times. Such a soft defeat. What’s happened to solid defensive displays like at Swansea?

Surely at halftime we should have been buzzing to get in 2-2 and come out to destroy a side low on confidence?! 

Too many poor performances - Hunt, Taylor, Da Silva, Pack and Ellisson all need to be much better. 

Walsh had a good first half but disappeared in the 2nd. Encouraging overall for him though.

Preston home is now an important game as a loss would put us back on one of those spiralling runs I think. Sadly it’s against another poor team we never beat.

LJ must sort it out. I don’t actually think we will go down but the losing runs continue to be a concern and whether he is actually learning anything. 

Disappointing result. I can't really comment on the performance because I only caught the radio commentary for the 2nd half up until just after their winner (didn't sound like we created much in that time), but we need to be more solid. From what Gary Owers said in the commentary their third goal was too easy. 

So, to sum up................................shit

great

shit

great

shit   

53 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Very very poor Mr Johnson. Question is will Mr Lansdown back him in January; he needs to otherwise its another season of 'progress'; that word is spouted so much on here its almost become a religious parable and, therefore, fact.

p.s. I don't want progress under that definition and neither does the owner; every season missed costs him hundreds of millions. Who blinks first then.

We won't spend a penny in Jan......

1 hour ago, daored said:

You beat me to it !

@Up The City! how long does it take to implement a style, as @BCFC Grim says three years at the club, out of today’s squad only Pack from SC’s team, admittedly a couple who’ve come through the youth teams. 

To implement a style well that is simple. Asking the players to play the ball longer consistently is a style of play. There is little coaching skill in that.

What Mr Johnson talks about is identity and that means the team has a model of play (system), and that model has principles and sub principles underpinning the model. To put these principles in place is a longer term but the answer is not three years, and it is there Mr Johnson has failed.

If you want high energy, tempo, close passing principles do not buy a low energy striker with a touch like a trampoline = It is not clear what the teams principles and sub principles are.

It would be interesting to hear what @Up The City! thinks the system is. 

We recruited a striker with an  abysmal scoring record alongside other mediocre signings. At the time it seemed to me that it was designed to merely provide safety and another year in the division. And that's what is going to happen. 17th /18th place. No ambition. Can't believe how the crowds are staying so high amongst all the mediocrity. Losing interest.

49 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

So, to sum up................................shit

great

shit

great

shit   

Or, the full season so far:

Hmmm, ok

Phew!

Shit

Great

Great 

Great

Great!

Great shit

Shiiiit

Meh

Meh/shit

Shit

Great 

Great/phew!

Shit

Shit

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

You may be right but I can't see any sign of a system of play. If you can I'd be interested in your view as I am baffled. Much as the players seem to be.

Do you actually watch the games? Because if you did you would see why try to pass it around, create triangles etc. We bossed the possession today and there was some really nice passages of play. 

2 hours ago, BCFC Grim said:

Implementing a system? He's been here for three years? Shouldn't that system be set in stone now? 

2 hours ago, daored said:

You beat me to it !

@Up The City! how long does it take to implement a style, as @BCFC Grim says three years at the club, out of today’s squad only Pack from SC’s team, admittedly a couple who’ve come through the youth teams. 

Its basically a new team this season so you can forget about the last two seasons. I can't believe I'm even writing this post as it's so simple to understand. It really isn't as easy as telling players to pass it around and score a goal.

I could go on and on and explain the tactical systems and all that but I'd just be wasting my time.

Just have a little patience.

Archived