IGNORED

LJ in "The Times" today; 300th game as manager

ashton_fan

33 minutes ago, Robinabank said:

I don't think there's any club in the PL who we are 'bigger' than or is taking 'our' place.

None are taking "our" place that's for sure but - and this is subjective and always depends on how you define it - if we're not "bigger" than bloody Bournemouth or Huddersfield or Fulham or Burnley or Watford we might as well give up.

They're all better run than us or prepared to gamble financially (some to the point of breaking the rules) or have a better manager or better recruitment. But not "bigger", surely? 

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

None are taking "our" place that's for sure but - and this is subjective and always depends on how you define it - if we're not "bigger" than bloody Bournemouth or Huddersfield or Fulham or Burnley or Watford we might as well give up.

They're all better run than us or prepared to gamble financially (some to the point of breaking the rules) or have a better manager or better recruitment. But not "bigger", surely? 

All those teams have spent more time in the top flight than we have though, surely? And had more cup success. Hudderfield and Burnley have been English champions. Fulham were in the Europa League final only 8 years ago. Bournemouth is the only team in the PL we could argue we're bigger than. As for the rest I doubt anyone outside our fanbase would consider us bigger.

Obviously if size of club was the deciding factor Villa and Leeds wouldn't be in the Championship.

1 minute ago, Robinabank said:

All those teams have spent more time in the top flight than we have though, surely? And had more cup success. Hudderfield and Burnley have been English champions. Fulham were in the Europa League final only 8 years ago. Bournemouth is the only team in the PL we could argue we're bigger than. As for the rest I doubt anyone outside our fanbase would consider us smaller.

Obviously if size of club was the deciding factor Villa and Leeds wouldn't be in the Championship.

Which is why I said it's subjective and depends entirely on how you define "bigger".

Not sure we have the same definition!

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Which is why I said it's subjective and depends entirely on how you define "bigger".

Not sure we have the same definition!

It's obviously impossible to quantify but if we're basing it on historical success, impact on the game, internationals produced, major signings, historic crowd sizes etc, the likes of Burnley, Huddersfield, Fulham and Watford are all bigger than us. Most people in England would agree with that.

Thankfully you don't have to big to go up.

13 minutes ago, Robinabank said:

It's obviously impossible to quantify but if we're basing it on historical success, impact on the game, internationals produced, major signings, historic crowd sizes etc, the likes of Burnley, Huddersfield, Fulham and Watford are all bigger than us. Most people in England would agree with that.

Thankfully you don't have to big to go up.

Agree with you last sentence but not much else!

Archived