IGNORED

LJ in "The Times" today; 300th game as manager

ashton_fan

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

If you got someone on the pitch you know is ignoring instructions, why should they stay on the pitch?

Pretty sure we had similar stuff when Tomlin was here and people asked why Tomlin wasn't subbed for it, looks like LJ is in a no-win place in this situation.

Tomlin ?

Tomlin  threatened to take his head off , slight difference

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks RR.  I posted a piece a number of weeks back about him having a lack of a true mentor outside of his Dad.  Whilst having a father in football is great, I debated the point whether he had a mentor of any pedigree as either a player or as a young Head-Coach.  I couldn’t find one.

The likes of Frank Lampard, not only had his own top-level career, but had a dad who played top-flight, and uncle, and several managers to look up to, or in some cases think ‘I ain’t gonna be like that”.

An excellent point Dave - LJ nor his father either played or managed at the highest level and LJ in particular would not have had the same exposure to top managers methods as Lampard did.

Just one final thing RR....do you think there is a bit of - ‘I’m a better head-coach than my dad, he was just a motivator, and yet he almost got this club into the Prem...I’ve got to be able to do that, it he’ll always have bragging rights”?

I doubt that ‘bragging rights’ come into it but no doubt at all that LJ wants to be a far more successful manager than his dad ever was or will be - even if he’s not seen it that way himself.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

PL thing still a stupid thing to say, makes pressure- rod for his own back.

Agree with the first 2 bits of your post fully though- managers back themselves, and will back themselves until they are sacked these days- maybe to do with payoff but also just an iron self-belief- they have a bit of an ego most managers and they need it to push themselves forward.

@Davefevs I agree about the DoF thing and I agree that Joe Jordan- bit unsure though, if he still had managerial ambitions that would not make for a good situation or working relationship with LJ IMO. DoF is an interesting idea but needs to be someone without managerial ambitions or maybe without a managerial background- they have it in Europe, different system but their DoF has contacts, has a football background but not necessarily as a a manager or with ambitions to be as such.

Joe Jordan on the coaching staff though? Could definitely see that working- if again LJ consented.

Wasn’t suggesting JJ himself, just a JJ-type.  I often wonder whether SOD might be a good fit?  Ok, slap me now! ?

5 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Didn't even flinch at winning the league comment. It's so unrealistic that he's probably just playing along. However, call it what you want, arrogance, deludidness but Lee you are not doing a great job. Far from it. 

To be honest, only his father can claim to have done a ‘great job’ with us over the past 25 years. Johnson is still doing a good job, as much as some wouldn’t want to admit it

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

To be honest, only his father can claim to have done a ‘great job’ with us over the past 25 years. Johnson is still doing a good job, as much as some wouldn’t want to admit it

I think both that his overall time at City has been positive and that he comes off as a bit of a nause in this interview.

48 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

If you got someone on the pitch you know is ignoring instructions, why should they stay on the pitch?

Pretty sure we had similar stuff when Tomlin was here and people asked why Tomlin wasn't subbed for it, looks like LJ is in a no-win place in this situation.

Absolutely. If it came out that a player was giving it the big un when receiving tactical instruction, and LJ ignored it he’d be - according to this place - a weak manager who doesn’t know how to get the respect of his players. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, although in Nigel’s case his dad was the best!

In his prime it was Brian Cloughs powerful personality that made him so successful. I remember one Forest player - Robertson I think who said that BC never ever discussed tactics and simply stuck to a basic 4-4-2.......and allowed the players to work it out themselves - compare that way to today’s ways of managing.........

Think LJ is doing ok. We are still in championship and progress every season. LJ is one person GJ another. LJ had football as he was born, thats the way it is. LJ is not Einstein but he is our manager. Sometimes he gets it wrong, but more than seldom he gets it right. Left is right  If you now what I mean. I believe in this Club, the academy, the team  and the leaders . Ive been on the gate when we were bottom leauge one. Cotteril came and saved us,, Cotts was great. We are Bristol City FC, If we remember that, things are doing ok. Always beleve, COYR!!!

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

In his prime it was Brian Cloughs powerful personality that made him so successful. I remember one Forest player - Robertson I think who said that BC never ever discussed tactics and simply stuck to a basic 4-4-2.......and allowed the players to work it out themselves - compare that way to today’s ways of managing.........

A very good recruiter of ‘cheap’ players to fit his way of playing, but not so good with the expensive ones.

Hated Clough as a young kid.  Grew to massively respect him through my teens.

I liked it! I am not exactly a devotee of the guy, however I  am in the camp of, if he gets the results required for us to be competitive in the top half then he has earned my support!

I have noted some of the comments on here which amount to, see I told you so, the bloke is right up himself...

The fact is when you are running an organization with many many stakeholders, you are going to question yourself as everyone tells you you are wrong, particularly those with no knowledge of the macro and micro issues that are being faced up to daily, often single handedly! That engenders the kind of attitude that he has....I did this, despite the shit I have to put up with!...Its a thing!

The interview has actually raised my respect for the guy not diminished it...Now go and get a ******* result today shorty!! 

300 games and not a sacking to his name.

No promotions either, should tell you something

There's no hiding from it, he did end up at a dream job that most guys his age would have snapped your hand off for.

I mean, who gets any type of security in management these days?

The guy is in no way all bad, but he has been lucky and I think he should acknowledge that too

22 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

I am afraid I cannot take his comments seriously. After a few half decent results the self promotion starts again. No wonder he is unpopular with his players. All" Me,me,me".

He should ask the fans if they think he is doing a good job.  You bring him down a peg or two.

Is he? Enlighten us.

7 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Could not agree more Dave, there is a certain air of smugness if the quotes are accurate, not to say arrogance.

The Man City reference is hard to believe.

Why? Because you don't want to believe it?

It has been brought up in articles about Johnson multiple times, herehere, and again in a BBC article around the time of the league cup games last season, though I cannot find it right now.

Or are you suggesting that Johnson has been lying about this for several years?

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I recently posted the bit about talking to Lloyd Kelly during a game, subbing him at half time and several questioned my sanity in stating it.

LJ just confirmed it; he dropped Lloyd Kelly for apparently not giving him (LJ) his full attention during a match. Not my way of managing anybody. You should encourage not punish. Try training a child or a puppy by punishing rather than encouraging. It doesn't work.

So maybe we now know why others in the squad are not picked. And others picked when so clearly out of form.

I don't think you can have players going off-script like that in games, Pat Lam would do exactly the same at Bris (and has done)... culture is important too. Perhaps that's something that could be taken from the rugby? LJ has to create the right environment where the players want to listen to and believe in him. 

May be that is the thing LJ needs to work on? I'll admit it will be harder in the round ball game due to the wages and egos involved but definitely not impossible. Good article anyway.

Archived