IGNORED

LJ in "The Times" today; 300th game as manager

ashton_fan

20 minutes ago, Fatknacker said:

...but that's not the dream is it?

If you're going to dream, why aim low and there's no point in planning just for promotion, that's a recipe for immediate relegation.

I think it's a great interview, a manager with ambition who believes he can do it, can improve players and is more than a match for all the overseas mediocrity which is flooding our game at managerial level

So you think we can win the premier league with LJ at the helm?

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

As I posted just now Henry Winter is very familiar with our club having written an article previously about us.

Journalists only get familiar with organisations when they build relationships with the media relations team / press officer .... you seem to think Winter approached our club for his articles....it was almost certainly the other way round...as I said I worked in media relations for over 20 years ..... most stories/interest/coverage comes from organisations approaching journos with whom they have good relationships....

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Journalists only get familiar with organisations when they build relationships with the media relations team / press officer .... you seem to think Winter approached our club for his articles....it was almost certainly the other way round...as I said I worked in media relations for over 20 years ..... most stories/interest/coverage comes from organisations approaching journos with whom they have good relationships....

I didn’t say any of that.

I do remember Henry Winter being at AG tho - it was on the same day as our Senior Reds luncheon.

29 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nothing wrong with ambition but saying he believes we can win the prem is bollocks . Just like saying Europe in 5 years, it’s cringeworthy . Getting promoted is a achievable ambition though 

Plainly you're not one of life's optimists 

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’m a realist . Like I said nothing wrong with ambition but some of the stuff he comes out with is away with fairies . 

To be honest, if someone part of Leicester city had said the same 7 years ago, they’d have had exactly the same response.

Yes, it does seem ridiculous but it’s not impossible

56 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

After reading the interview, it only reinforces my opinion of LJ.

By way of a contrast, I happened to speak to Cotts at some length not long after he was dismissed. It was blantantly obvious that he had bags of confidence, passion and belief. But it was all in reference to his team and his belief in them. "They're a great bunch of lads",  "much too good to go down," "they'll get out of trouble" etc. Now misguided or not,  it was very clear he had built a strong bond and real belief in the players he had brought together.

Not sure LJ has the same team building skills or ability. Which, without a top budget, might be a necessary quality required to make a real challenge.

Mrs Fevs hates football, rarely has a good word to say about the world of football, but watching “I’m A Celebrity” she remarked how she could see how Harry Redknapp was a good manager or at least good at Man-management.  Even winning in the jungle, it was all about the other jungle-mates, and how they were all winners and kept him going.

30 minutes ago, lenred said:

It really is completely cringeworthy. He brings it on himself - he doesn’t need to do it but seems to revel in bigging himself up. Would be so much more liked and dare I say respected if he was more humble. Imho anyway. 

I reckon he does need to. You don't, but he does.

Too many doubt him as it is, he cannot ever doubt himself.

He might well think: I have got this far thinking/and speaking (about myself) super-positively, why stop/change now?

28 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

And Pearson had been in management for 10 years, with no promotions to his name when he took Leicester up. 

No reason why LJ can’t do the same

Not true - he took Leicester up from league one as champions in his first season as their manager and in less than three seasons of being a manager. (Dunno where you got “10 years” from)....then when he returned to Leicester around a year later he promoted them to the premier league, as champions of the championship, within two years....

So, you think LJ will win the premier league?

30 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’m a realist . Like I said nothing wrong with ambition but some of the stuff he comes out with is away with fairies . 

So you basically believe nothing can be done.

Probably the most impressive thing SL has done with both City and Bristol Rugby, is his investment in infrastructure and a sound base...I think the future outlook for both is so positive and I have faith in LJ until he proves he can't do it.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

The arrogance is breathtaking particularly given he has achieved ZERO in football management.

If you make the assumption, and it is a HUGE assumption, that he makes statements similar to that at the Trainig Ground and the dressing room it is hardly a mystery that he would appear to have issues with senior players

I agree and exactly my fear that I posted post Forum

Being generous It was a somewhat cringey comment from an under pressure head coach ‘selling himself’ to fans

The problem being other comments there , before and since of similar nature, and hence my real concerns , that you’ve raised above 

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

If you make the assumption, and it is a HUGE assumption, that he makes statements similar to that at the Trainig Ground and the dressing room it is hardly a mystery that he would appear to have issues with senior players.

“Issues with senior players?”  

You have the wrong Johnson SR.

22 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I reckon he does need to. You don't, but he does.

Too many doubt him as it is, he cannot ever doubt himself.

He might well think: I have got this far thinking/and speaking (about myself) super-positively, why stop/change now?

Yep it’s a fair point you make. However there is a big big difference imho in being positive about yourself, which I’m all for (it’s a great trait to have as long as it’s measured) and some of the cringeworthy, delusional stuff that he comes out with. 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Being generous It was a somewhat cringey comment from an under pressure head coach ‘selling himself’ to fans

The problem being other comments there , before and since and hence my real concerns , that you’ve raised above 

What? You fear that LJ is trying to prove himself?  

Why on earth would you have a problem with that? 

Have you not tried to prove your worth in a workplace? 

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The problem being other comments there , before and since of similar nature, and hence my real concerns , that you’ve raised above 

Under pressure, really? Deluded again from not so super Bob!! 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If it wasn’t LJ then who was it?  

I remember Bryan early in his career as left sided wing back.

Johnson made both Reid and Bryan! Reid had numerous average seasons. Gave him the confidence and believed in his quality as a forward and it payed off (10 million pound player)  He also along with the coaches made Joe into a better defender and able to play full back in a 4, compared to cotts in a wing back system with no real defensive responsibility! 

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Joe played 50 games in our 2014/2015 league one champions season....are you saying he played none of those at left back?!

And we played with wing backs in 14/15, wing back compared to full back are very different so this is LJ talking about converting him to a full back.

4 hours ago, North London Red said:

Also, in the article "In the meantime I've got to get promoted", not "we've got to get promoted".

Perhaps my final paragraph did answer myself, but as I said previously, the tone of that interview just comes over as 'self before side'.

See this quote I actually understand more than the others, its a case of have to get promoted because its his job that's on the line eventually if he doesn't. Saying we have to get promoted also refers about a time after his stint here in that he's not essential to us reaching the premier league. If he's not essential then its the question of why are you here?

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If it wasn’t LJ then who was it?  

I remember Bryan early in his career as left sided wing back.

He was a LB, LWB, LM, LW, before LJ got him, before Cotts got him too.  Played a bit of CM too.

You could argue Cotts converted him into a LWB, from a LB?  Possibly his best position???

LJ did not turn him into a LB.  He may well feel he is entitled to claim credit for improving him as a LB.  i don’t have an issue with that.  I suspect Macca might want of that credit?  Turned him into a LB, but played him LW?

The way I read that comment was in a similar vain to Reid, I.e. totally changed his position.  That did not happen.

Archived