IGNORED

The Championship FFP Thread (Merged)

Mr Popodopolous

This one could age excellently. Like a fine wine, a vintage Malt Whisky.

Unless the rules change this summer..because it could he the case that there is an FFP swing of over £100m into the red between 2021-22 and 2022-23 as the Grealish sale drops off but the Devil in the Detail until their 2023 accounts out.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some funny Tweets from this account.

Clearly not grasping the necessity of a Stadium sale from the P&S Angle in 2019 

Or how the system works on a rolling 3 year cycle. One of the highest wage bills at 2nd tier level ever that year.

Once you see a reference to net spend you can pretty much discount the person's argument. It baffles me that people fail to consider the total cost of a player including transfer, signing on and agents' fees plus wages but perhaps it's a bit complicated for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Once you see a reference to net spend you can pretty much discount the person's argument. It baffles me that people fail to consider the total cost of a player including transfer, signing on and agents' fees plus wages but perhaps it's a bit complicated for them.

Yes agreed. Then you add their bizarre argument that the Villa Park sale and leaseback was to clear debt and that they went up on loans..a £70-75m underlying wage bill and a large amortisation bill had nothing to do with it.

That Tweet could age well though, the one laughing at Wolves selling their players for FFP.

• Like 1

More Special Pleading

Tbis time recent Aston Villa CEO, Purslow. Reckons the rules should be rebooted..irrespective of people's views on the reasons for the rules etc..it is clear that post Grealish sale Aston Villa are likely to swing to a loss in the new starting point, the question is how high.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/christian-purslow-reveals-aston-villa-28700454

That starting point is inevitably a swing into the red P&S wise.

Moans about having to sell home-grown talent. Tough shit, we've had to sell loads to help comply, lots of clubs do.

He wasn't saying this in recent years and nor were certain Aston Villa fan voices.

Ty Bracey was crowing about steering clear post the Everton deduction.

https://www.astonvillanews.co.uk/2024/01/16/ty-bracey-shares-aston-villa-transfer-prediction-after-everton-and-nottingham-forest-news/

https://www.astonvillanews.co.uk/2023/11/23/ty-bracey-thrilled-aston-villa-not-involved-in-premier-league-naughtiness-amid-everton-development/

Yes they are in line atm but now some are calling for a change in the rules.

49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In a way I don't miss Aston Villa, I remember their fans in the Championship but the stadium sale and leaseback giving them an opportunity really rankles.

99% of the 9000 at West Ham were sesson ticket holders so his point is irrelevant. 

Not sure what planet this guy lives on but for most of us you're talking 50/60 quid on fuel, even more on the train? 30 quid ticket? Food and drinks, during a cost of living crisis so in that context I think taking 1000 for a game over 3 hours away is bloody brilliant. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

99% of the 9000 at West Ham were sesson ticket holders so his point is irrelevant. 

Not sure what planet this guy lives on but for most of us you're talking 50/60 quid on fuel, even more on the train? 30 quid ticket? Food and drinks, during a cost of living crisis so in that context I think taking 1000 for a game over 3 hours away is bloody brilliant. 

I'd say so yeah, perhaps I shouldn't tar with one brush but I do remember a little bit of needle with Aston Villa a few years ago after the game there.

On 24/02/2024 at 12:00, Mr Popodopolous said:

Aston Villa have spent a fortune on and off, does anyone else find their whining a bit rich??

Not least given the loophole that helped them escape this League in no small part.

when people say things like this they don't realise the clubs they are on about often sell quite a few players each season, thats how you manage this ffp, its not different at the top 

4 hours ago, Rob26 said:

when people say things like this they don't realise the clubs they are on about often sell quite a few players each season, thats how you manage this ffp, its not different at the top 

True.

Although Aston Villa are especially sanctimonious and entitled it seems so I also attribute it to that, especially given recent gloating about their compliance and so on.

Don't judge all Villa fans, or the club itself on the rantings of one guy on Twitter who is wrong. 

There is some merit to what Purlsow is saying. FFP protects the top six and stops upwardly mobile from upsetting the order. FFP shouldn't force clubs to sell their homegrown talent unless its a business/footballing decision. 

Okay I rowed back but it did annoy me at the time and I think the flip-flopping on FFP is also interesting.

On the FFP point, I do believe that other clubs have had to go through it, Wolves a notable example of selling/offloading 1/4 of the squad or so it looked like, others failed so changing the cycle mid-stream would assist some unduly.

This was a concern with me in the EFL too..have any of Birmingham, Cardiff, QPR, Stoke and maybe others received any kind of more favourable treatment, would a change benefit some who have to take harsher medicine.

I have limited sympathy on the home-grown point..over the last few years and I appreciate it can be relative to the level..

Kelly, Bryan, Scott, Reid, Semenyo.

I am sure there are others who I missed. At least some of them were sold with a P&S angle in mind.

Many other clubs btw, we are not the only ones by a long stretch. Aston Villa most notably Grealish but notable others include Ramsey, Carney, Philogene, (can't spell surname without searching), Archer.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240226222923/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/02/26/everton-points-deduction-premier-league-appeal-rules-dyche/

Hmm wonder which other clubs..🕵️‍♂️

Certainly suggests Chelsea need to raise £100m by end of June albeit Chelsea deny this and say they are fine.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20240226222923/https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/02/26/everton-points-deduction-premier-league-appeal-rules-dyche/

Hmm wonder which other clubs..🕵️‍♂️

Certainly suggests Chelsea need to raise £100m by end of June albeit Chelsea deny this and say they are fine.

May aswell take the minus 6 point hit and then use the players they've not sold to claw back those 6 points. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

May aswell take the minus 6 point hit and then use the players they've not sold to claw back those 6 points. 

I'd have thought a £100m breach if those reports are true gets a lot more than 6 points.

The PL wanted to put a floor under it with 6 being the baseline fit any breach then I didn't see any particular ceiling ie £5m=1 point, next £5m=another point etc.

It just feels like numbers picked out of the air etc. Think Everton got 2 of their points back for reducing losses...

Birmingham case that kciemd this all off got...

7 points for overspend (£8m or something).

3 more points for escalating losses

1 point back for cooperation with Business Plan.

Which reminds me in addition to their points they also got an Embargo and Business Plan. Deservedly so but this is how it can differ in the Championship, you get that as a start and the League push for points.

On 26/02/2024 at 21:38, AnAstonVillafan said:

Don't judge all Villa fans, or the club itself on the rantings of one guy on Twitter who is wrong. 

There is some merit to what Purlsow is saying. FFP protects the top six and stops upwardly mobile from upsetting the order. FFP shouldn't force clubs to sell their homegrown talent unless its a business/footballing decision. 

all that's relevant is the numbers that are publicly available 

can't blame people for supporting their club, pointing finger at other clubs, not many fans really have a clue how ffp works so pretty easy to find people who think their club is alright or have loads of money to spend when the numbers say something different.

you certinley won't win arguments fighting with these sort of fans as they do not want to be educated and often will just come back with something along the lines oh so you support man city then 🤣

A change in rules depending on how it is formulated could be very beneficial to Aston Villa.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/28/premier-league-clubs-set-to-back-uefa-style-framework-of-financial-rules

If there is no Upper Loss limit then this risks totally letting some bigger spenders with variable trajectory the hook and others will have been punished ahead of a Regulatory change..

..Wolves made drastic calls that were very much to their retirement on paper. Losing as they did Lopetegui.

A potential £0.4m was it pre tax Profit replaced by a potential €138m (that would be £110-115m) Pre Tax Loss as the starting point. Hmm.

I would be raising this forcefully as a PL club especially one who were badly hamstrung or who showed restraint and or took decisions to their detriment.

We in EFL/Championship will be expected to fall into line but I question whether this will be the case without the adequate amendments to TV distribution.

Article speaks of a soft launch next year, fully in 2025-26 but if a club on a negative trajectory to 2024-25 or even 2025-26 they shouldn't be let off the hook. That actively rewards risky calls.

Could Chelsea likewise benefit?

@ExiledAjax

You are closer to this than a lot on here. How so you transition and plan across the 2 divergent systems especially in the slightly extreme example as provided by me.

Bournemouth another, barely sold anyone spent quite big for 2 years lower income than many PL clubs probably.  Again..switching midstream seems a real oddity.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A change in rules depending on how it is formulated could be very beneficial to Aston Villa.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/feb/28/premier-league-clubs-set-to-back-uefa-style-framework-of-financial-rules

If there is no Upper Loss limit then this risks totally letting some bigger spenders with variable trajectory the hook and others will have been punished ahead of a Regulatory change..

..Wolves made drastic calls that were very much to their retirement on paper. Losing as they did Lopetegui.

A potential £0.4m was it pre tax Profit replaced by a potential €138m (that would be £110-115m) Pre Tax Loss as the starting point. Hmm.

I would be raising this forcefully as a PL club especially one who were badly hamstrung or who showed restraint and or took decisions to their detriment.

On occasions, predictive text can prove detrimental to what one wants to post 😉.

• Like 1

Today is (hopefully) the day for..

*Aston Villa and Associated Companies

*Cardiff City and Associated Companies

*Coventry City and Parent 

*Liverpool and Parent

*Wolves and Parent

Plus Birmingham City 6 months to end of December via Hong Kong.

I don't see what benefit dragging it out to the last day brings, the League see it earlier, post deadline..yet due out prior to Summer Window opening I'm unsure what difference it makes in real terms. Certainly post the January window.