IGNORED

Nottingham Forest v Bristol City Match Day 28

Septic Peg

Brrrrrr.

On a week where Brexit dominated the papers because Theresa May couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and Prince Philip proved he's actually going to survive Armageddon with the cockroaches, news of a certain top manager taking a Champ job went slightly under the radar.

Martin O'Neill; whom took two clubs to the League cup final 4 times and won it twice, won the Scottish League with Celtic 3 times as well as taking them to the Europa league and finally managed Ireland's national team, getting them qualification for Euro 16 and beating Germany in the process. He's a manager of prowess and experience. So why did he take on the Nottingham job when he would be one of the top names on any Prem club manager list? 

He has returned to the club that started it all for him as a player and unlike the politician style answers heard from most managers nowadays, he's made it perfectly clear. He has until summer 2020 to take Forest up. If he doesn't, he walks. He wants to take Forest back to the glory days when he himself helped them win 2 Champions league titles.

A tall order perhaps, considering two factors.

Firstly, the team currently are embroiled in "idiotic behaviour" as quoted by O'Neill, referencing the fact that at the halfway point of the season, Forest have accumulated 67 yellow cards and 4 reds. In fact, two of their players are suspended today because of their red cards from last week. This is going to take time and is no quick fix. If players have been incorporating dodgy tackles into their training regime, to re-train that behaviour is not an overnight job. Expect to see a few iffy tackles today.

Secondly, and probably the most conspirical factor is the fact that Nottingham like giving managers the heave ho. Check out this tweet:

2011: Steve McClaren

2012: Cotts and SOD

2013: Alex McLeish

2014: Billy Davies

2015: Stuart 'Psycho' Pearce

2016: Dougie Freedman

2017: Philippe Montanier, Gary Brazil and Mark Warburton

2018: Aitor Karanka

2019: ???

11 guys all paid off at some point (ok 10, Gary Brazil was demoted back down) but it's become a long standing joke with Forest's fans. Will 2019 see Martin O'Neill get the boot or will he break the managerial conveyor belt hidden within the City ground?

Only time will tell...

On to today.

7th v 9th so I reckon it's gonna be a draw. New manager bounce could edge it for them but I doubt it. A 1-1 draw is the obvious choice.

COYRs!

3 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Brrrrrr.

On a week where Brexit dominated the papers because Theresa May couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and Prince Philip proved he's actually going to survive Armageddon with the cockroaches, news of a certain top manager taking a Champ job went slightly under the radar.

Martin O'Neill; whom took two clubs to the League cup final 4 times and won it twice, won the Scottish League with Celtic 3 times as well as taking them to the Europa league and finally managed Ireland's national team, getting them qualification for Euro 16 and beating Germany in the process. He's a manager of prowess and experience. So why did he take on the Nottingham job when he would be one of the top names on any Prem club manager list? 

He has returned to the club that started it all for him as a player and unlike the politician style answers heard from most managers nowadays, he's made it perfectly clear. He has until summer 2020 to take Forest up. If he doesn't, he walks. He wants to take Forest back to the glory days when he himself helped them win 2 Champions league titles.

Firstly, the team currently are embroiled in "idiotic behaviour" as quoted by O'Neill, referencing the fact that at the halfway point of the season, Forest have accumulated 67 yellow cards and 4 reds. In fact, two of their players are suspended today because of their red cards from last week. This is going to take time and is no quick fix. If players have been incorporating dodgy tackles into their training regime, to re-train that behaviour is not an overnight job. Expect to see a few iffy tackles today.

Secondly, and probably the most conspirical factor is the fact that Nottingham like giving managers the heave ho. Check out this tweet:

11 guys all paid off at some point (ok 10, Gary Brazil was demoted back down) but it's become a long standing joke with Forest's fans. Will 2019 see Martin O'Neill get the boot or will he break the managerial conveyor belt hidden within the City ground?

Only time will tell...

On to today.

7th v 9th so I reckon it's gonna be a draw. New manager bounce could edge it for them but I doubt it. A 1-1 draw is the obvious choice.

COYRs!

Too early for O’Neil to have an impact today, add in the suspensions and confident city away win 1-0 and in the top six close of play 

16 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Brrrrrr.

Only time will tell...

On to today.

COYRs!

Condensed Version

Forest:

Pegs cleaning out the drawer with all her old calendars in it.

1 all

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’ve no objections to @Septic Peg starting the match day threads, as they are excellent, but what’s happened to @havanatopia? Has married life taken its toll? 

Cheers Pongo.

Hav is super busy with work at the mo and before Christmas, he asked me to take over for the forseeable. He will do threads in and out when time allows him. When his work eases down a bit, he will return.

50 minutes ago, daored said:

Too early for O’Neil to have an impact today, add in the suspensions and confident city away win 1-0 and in the top six close of play 

But he’ll get the players pumped right up for it in front of a sell out crowd and the fans will be right up for it. We need to quiet the crowd and first 20 minutes will be important to not concede. Then grow into the game and win 3-0 ☺️ 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I’d forgotten SOD was at Forest.

This is a game about first goal imho.  Get it and their sell-out crowd will turn on them.  Concede it and they’ll be rocking.

From what I remember they got rid of him because he wasn't a big enough name for such a "massive" club. I think I recall that when we played them at AG when he was with us (in that terrible relegation season) their fans gave him a good reception.

I think you're right about the first goal today. Fingers crossed we will get it.

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

Mixed feelings and expectations from their fans; http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47537&page=12

In the light of the list of managers that Forest have had I  thought the following comment on their thread was quite amusing:

The Enemy

Bristol City come into this one after leapfrogging Forest up to 7th in the league on 41 points and haven't lost a league game since November (9 games, 5 wins, 4 draws) so that's nice for them. Bristol City manager Lee Johnson took over at the club in February 2016 which is utter lunacy and far too long for a manager to do his job.

Out of the Nottingham teams I've always preferred County. Not sure why. Maybe it's because Forest beat us in the semi final and because there was a bit of rivalry between us in the League 1 days. Alternatively it might be because County used to have a decent pub right outside their away turnstiles. 

I've got a bad feeling that we'll lose today due to the "new manager bounce", but City are much more resilient these days so who knows. A point would be decent enough.

I know the new manager bounce is proven it seems to be a myth, but think we might be on the wrong end today of the score.

Big crowd, the return of the Prince Overseas, and its going to feel like a pretty big cup clash atmosphere wise. They have some very decent players, and when they get the wind behind them play some good stuff, as Leeds found out recently there. Lost enough games over the years to teams ‘down to their bare bones’ so not placing to much emphasis on their defensive issues.

Forced to pick I would go 2-0 them, but if we keep it tight, who knows and hope rather than expect for a good result. We have not been to shabby ourselves recently, and you know what they say, “If you can do it in Nottingham on a cold Saturday afternoon, then play offs will start to look very possible”. Or at least they should.

COYRs.

Archived