IGNORED

"Never been so disenchanted with Bristol City"

Shtanley

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think the problem starts right away in the (exaggeration) in your title @Shtanley

Could you point me to the post

Never Been so disenchanted with Bristol City’

or anyone who has used this term 

Thanks

Wasn't from a post on here. Here's a couple quotes along the same line. Surely you've seen people use the term disenchanted?

"I’ve never known so many fellow season ticket holders seriously thinking of not renewing next season...it should be a big worry to those in power at our club...it’s just not a very enjoyable day out at the moment...back in the day there was little else to do but now there are a zillion other alternatives to football...better things to do which are more fun....and I fear our ST sales in the new year will not be very buoyant as there is definitely an air of apathy that can be detected amongst the crowd...a real lack of interest and enthusiasm" December 31st 

"I'm aware of at least 6 SC holders, long standing fans who just cannot be bothered to attend, myself included today. Others, on here, have intimated as much quite regularly. Unfortunately, while your scenario wouldn't be such a cause for concern, I don't think it's the norm in a lot of cases, people are being turned away by the boring dross being served up and in numbers too by the looks of it. To repeat myself (and others), there are no issues regarding our position, it's the entertainment value, it's just not there" December 29th

10 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I stopped going last season after four decades of watching City.

I found the football under LJ dull and negative, and the whole match day experience sanitised from what I used to enjoy.

Personally i get my kicks out of watching non league football now, not having to get tickets, the hastle of travelling and parking, plus I find the non league scene far more enjoyable an experience. I also have sons involved in non league football.

City will always be my club, though I also realised I had no real desire to see us play football in the money league, as I hate the Prem with a passion, that league iis everything I don’t like in the game.

Yeah I know quite a few mates who watch local football instead of City on Saturdays.

I do think that if we see safe standing and drinking in the stands introduced soon then the atmospheres of old may return.

I thought I was disillusioned with City but it turns out I'm just bored of football. City are playing and performing well but still don't have a huge desire to go down the gate atm. 

Sacked off the Swansea game to go to watch rugby, I've probably missed 5/6 home games on my ST this year. Might not renew next season, it'll be season 10 in a row. 

There too much football these days, there's a game on every night almost - sort of watered the buzz down a bit I think. 

The atmosphere at the gate is bad as well that's another factor. English football is expensive and honestly, overrated. 

I've only been following City properly for the past 3 years - took my lad for his first match against QPR in 2016/17 when he was 6 and he loved it (l'm pleased as punch he's a red - he loves Matty Taylor's song), consequently we've been ST holders for past two years. I've mentioned elswhere that I'm an Arsenal fan so hopefully can offer a balanced view without any bias as such.

I recognise that now is a good time to be supporting City with a fantastic new stadium and relative progress on the pitch - the victory against Utd last year will live long in the memory. In that time I've seen some terrific performances - especially first part of last season and some real tear your hair out ones - 3-3 Sunderland comes to mind. But this season has been a really enjoyable rollercoaster for me, yes there have been some poor performances along the way but this team now seem to understand their roles very well.

The key for me has been the defence which has been outstanding and is as good if not better than half the Prem - I would swap Webster for Mustafi in a heartbeat. Whilst I do believe that there is a real chance of top 6 more importantly, for me, is to keep this core of players together and do eveything humanly possible to keep the likes of Kalas etc. A lot of this team can play in the Prem and would hold their own in my view but I hope the owners take a punt by ensuring they hold onto the crown jewels for another year or two (pay them more) and invest in one or two bits of quality - nothing to fear from those likely to come down next year.

The atmosphere has been flat on a few occasions but overall it's been good in the time I've been going. Johnson's substitutions (or timing of) used to frustrate me as you could often see what was coming but now he has a solid system the subs are having a much greater impact when used and pretty much keep the engine running full pelt. I've even started to relax in the final 15 now I'm confident the defending isn't a fluke!

Also, on the cost, our ST's work out about £17 per game in total which I think is fair value for me and the boy.

COYR

6 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I thought I was disillusioned with City but it turns out I'm just bored of football. City are playing and performing well but still don't have a huge desire to go down the gate atm. 

Sacked off the Swansea game to go to watch rugby, I've probably missed 5/6 home games on my ST this year. Might not renew next season, it'll be season 10 in a row. 

There too much football these days, there's a game on every night almost - sort of watered the buzz down a bit I think. 

The atmosphere at the gate is bad as well that's another factor. English football is expensive and honestly, overrated. 

Do you think you'd go back if we had a big safe-standing section and could drink in view of the pitch?

5 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Only if you have Sky!

I don't have Sky and wish I had more chance to get to City games. 

15 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

So for what it's worth I haven't attended a Bristol City game since the Ipswich game last season. I want to make it very clear that this had nothing to do with the football, and the fact that we're 6th, unbeaten in months and I'm still not attending, proves that. My issues lie at the feet of trends within English football, the Lansdowns and sadly our fanbase.

English football has arguably the strongest football league in the world. Now there are many debates about whether the Premier League is the best top tier in the world, however if you take the pyramid as a whole, there probably isn't another country that can boast a non-regional, professional 5th tier. However despite this strength and history that is so prevalent in English football, there are so many flaws. Ticket prices are quite frankly extortionate. I was chatting to a Catalonian guy in a Barcelona hostel last year about football, and when I mentioned that our cheapest ST prices were £350, I had to scrape his jaw off the floor. He could not believe that it was so expensive to watch 2nd tier football. Quite frankly, neither can I. Yet despite, or maybe as a result of this, English football also boasts arguably the worst atmospheres in the world. I'm not talking about derby matches or big cup games against Man U, as anyone could make a racket then. I'm talking about average League matches where sadly you can hear the players pretty much every game. And we're good at wheeling out the same excuses. "We're given no freedom as fans" "The terraces are gone" etc etc. Well if you want limited freedom, try Turkey, yet they manage it, in the same way most countries create great atmospheres in all seaters.

Sadly this reality is reflected at BCFC. Now don't get me wrong, SL has done some good at City. The stadium obviously, as well as emerging young players are big pluses. The kits are on average better, despite a few duds and despite ups and downs, we are arguably closer to top tier football than any time in the last decade. However we've also seen the club throwing huge sums of money at players that could perhaps be better spent. Tomlin is a glaring example, but the number of multi-million pound signings this club has made, not mentioning salaries and agent fees, does not justify the cost of slowly pricing out loyal supporters. Make no bones about it, if SL thought that by getting rid of you he could replace you with two new fans, he'd bin you off without a second thought. This was confirmed when he changed Bristol Rugby to the bears. He understood people would dissent but he didn't care. Under SL, you are expendable. Using the rugby club as the case study, he is also clearly happy to ignore history and destroy a club kits, crests and identity, if he can get away with it, which I fear he has. But the sucker punch came last year with the ST fiasco. What SL and co tried to do to disabled supporters and children was nothing short of shameful. Although they backtracked slightly, they still showed their money grabbing hand for what it is. 

Now I mentioned the atmosphere nationally and sadly AG is little different. Despite the efforts of a noble few, songs die off before they begin, people stand or sit with their arms folded for 90 minutes and a few years ago people moaned because flags were flying during the game. Seriously? For me there is little point going to a game if you're not going to engage with it beyond watching it. You might as well watch it on the telly. Of course we're not all able to jump or even stand all game, but you don't need to look far on youtube to see just how different, quiet and passionless AG is on a common matchday. Although the silence doesn't anger me, it saddens me to be in a quiet football stadium. However when the ST fiasco happened last year, I thought the touch paper had been lit. City fans were furious and demanded change, and demanded action. I was excited. Protest here we come. Harry made a great point that we mocked all those Cardiff fans who kept going when they went red. They were plastic fans who were happy to be manipulated by the high trousered one. However as soon as action was proposed in the form of walk outs or boycotts, many City fans decided that the team was more important than standing up for fellow reds. In the end a few banners were raised at the Ipswich game, and I left before kick off. We were no better than those Cardiff fans and I thought we were.

Football is a beautiful game, but it should be an opportunity for everyone of all ages, races and financial situations to be proud of their local team. A team that has history and identity. And those supporters can express their pride no matter what league their in or how the team is doing. Sadly BCFC is failing miserably on that front, and I fear I won't be back till they re-prioritise 

WTTJ

You mention somewhere that ticket prices are extortionate. For me and my son the average cost per game is 12 quid. Do you really think that’s extortionate ?

I totally get what the rest of your post says but it’s modern football. If you are staying away then you probably won’t ever return because the “good old days” are a relic of the past.

5 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I live in Downend, it’s never taken me anywhere near two hours to get to a game, which way do you go?

I get the 48  or 49 takes anything from 40 minutes to 90 minutes to the centre then a 35 minute walk to the ground.dont get a bus from the centre because iam so pissed off with buses by then that I prefer to walk.last season my friend drove from Bradley Stoke and he left at 4.45 and he got in the ground at 7.50.

10 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

I get the 48  or 49 takes anything from 40 minutes to 90 minutes to the centre then a 35 minute walk to the ground.dont get a bus from the centre because iam so pissed off with buses by then that I prefer to walk.last season my friend drove from Bradley Stoke and he left at 4.45 and he got in the ground at 7.50.

You can get the metro bus now to the centre (M3) then get the connecting metro bus to very near Ashton Gate

35 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Whatever Bob. Looking forward to your next ban?

The classic attempt at deflection by wonderbrain

Maybe they will sort out your other account

Not used that one lately troll ?

The best bit was when you used your Ids to back each other up in a debate....mind blowing initiative.....and as obvious as a fluorescent prune btw

55 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You mention somewhere that ticket prices are extortionate. For me and my son the average cost per game is 12 quid. Do you really think that’s extortionate ?

I totally get what the rest of your post says but it’s modern football. If you are staying away then you probably won’t ever return because the “good old days” are a relic of the past.

They're not a relic though. It is alive an well in pretty much every country other than this one. Out of curiosity how do you make it 12 quid a game or two. I may have missed something

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I still go. Would that change things for the better? You're God damn right it would ??

Let's be honest Wolfie, the first one will, inevitably, happen , that's good. I can't see the second one being allowed for a long time even though everywhere else allows it. 

What I've noticed in Germany is that nobody gets plastered before games as they can have a couple while watching the match. In England, those that choose to have a few tend to have a fair number before the game and neck a swift 1 or 2 at half time. I know which I prefer and it's far more civilised but I won't be holding my breath for it to happen here. 

39 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

They're not a relic though. It is alive an well in pretty much every country other than this one. Out of curiosity how do you make it 12 quid a game or two. I may have missed something

The good old days are alive and well lower in the football pyramid.  It costs me £5 at Worthing for a seat in the stand, with more comfortable seating than at AG, and a far better, and cheaper, coffee at halftime.  I also sit near the Worthing manager whose grandfather I saw play for City.  A manager who never spins his interviews. If the football becomes a little boring I can always gaze at The South Downs, as good as the old trains at Eastville.

45 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Out of curiosity how do you make it 12 quid a game or two. I may have missed something

23 home games each for me and my son costs me 59 quid a month (for ten months)

590 / 46 = 12 quid 80 per game

For me that is pretty cheap and certainly not extortionate

4 hours ago, Redbo said:

This has turned into an ‘@Olé tweeting Gary O’Neil’ type disaster. 

That wasn't a disaster in my book, just an error of judgement. :whistle:  Especially when he sent a photo of his leg. That was just weird.

On the main topic, I've never used the word disenchanted and I'm not here to stick up for Stan, but I don't think the question was particularly unfair. There was certainly a time when this season more than most became a little wearying, when form was indifferent at best, and poor at home. I think it was precisely because it was indifferent rather than catastrophic that coupled with a manager secure in his role things probably felt a bit monotonous and stale - a bit like a mid-life crisis or marriage trouble. Where are we actually going.... I don't see how this is going to get any better.... That sort of thing.

I've been the first person to lavish praise on the football and results LJ is producing now (and also did so after the run earlier in the season), but I say it as I see it, and anyone who says now hand on heart that there have always been causes for optimism is either fishing for brownie points or clearly didn't sit through Reading away or Preston at home, and a few other games (first half at Rotherham). That's the flaw in LJ's football, when it doesn't work, it can look utterly clueless and bereft of idea and potential. When it happens a third season running, I don't think being (briefly) disillusioned is unusual.

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Was pretty lively on Saturday I thought, especially after 18 minutes. To say nothing of the win itself.

You missed a good one!

We could all find "reasons" to complain about prices, quality of football, less "atmosphere" aka being pissed upon, lifted to another spot on the terrace every time something exciting happens, last minute changes to fixture list and so on and on.

But if we support a club, then while we can all find something to moan about, we should stick with them.

As for prices, we are shafted by every corner of business on prices compared with most of Europe. Here are some examples. And also how we compare on minimum wages with countries like Spain and Portugal.

UK min is (July 2018)  €1463 per month

Spain €858 pm

Portugal €676 pm

Trains paying on the day next Monday

UK Bristol to London between £50 / £106

Portugal a trip of 200km from east central Portugal to Lisbon €40 with half price for pensioners.

And football, the best examples I can give is this, and the gap will have widened considerably.

Porto (Champions League winners) ST €100 cheapest

Arsenal ST £675 cheapest

Bundesliga match ticket bought on the day in 2012

Hertha Berlin v FC Mainz €15

We live in a crowded, overpopulated country with wages that are probably among the top six in the world. Prices here are extortionate for housing, rail travel, Council tax, and plenty of other things.

So remember OP, the poor sod in Spain or Portugal who needs to buy a new fridge will pay the same price as you do in UK. So don't begrudge them a cheap football ticket.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The classic attempt at deflection by wonderbrain

Maybe they will sort out your other account

Not used that one lately troll ?

The best bit was when you used your Ids to back each other up in a debate....mind blowing initiative.....and as obvious as a fluorescent prune btw

Robert, I’ve repeatedly asked you to declare who you believe my ‘other account’ is (non-existent by the way) so you can be proved wrong but you never seem to be able to dream up a reply...

Maybe it was the fact I asked you when you were banned?

22 minutes ago, Olé said:

That wasn't a disaster in my book, just an error of judgement. :whistle:  Especially when he sent a photo of his leg. That was just weird.

On the main topic, I've never used the word disenchanted and I'm not here to stick up for Stan, but I don't think the question was particularly unfair. There was certainly a time when this season more than most became a little wearying, when form was indifferent at best, and poor at home. I think it was precisely because it was indifferent rather than catastrophic that coupled with a manager secure in his role things probably felt a bit monotonous and stale - a bit like a mid-life crisis or marriage trouble. Where are we actually going.... I don't see how this is going to get any better.... That sort of thing.

I've been the first person to lavish praise on the football and results LJ is producing now (and also did so after the run earlier in the season), but I say it as I see it, and anyone who says now hand on heart that there have always been causes for optimism is either fishing for brownie points or clearly didn't sit through Reading away or Preston at home, and a few other games (first half at Rotherham). That's the flaw in LJ's football, when it doesn't work, it can look utterly clueless and bereft of idea and potential. When it happens a third season running, I don't think being (briefly) disillusioned is unusual.

That Preston game was the only time I’ve thought that LJ has run his course here. I was glad we stuck by him during those 8 defeats. Was refreshing to see faith in a manager and a project. 

Re the disaster, was just pulling your leg (excuse the pun). Podcast is great. Keep up the good work. 

Archived