IGNORED

"Never been so disenchanted with Bristol City"

Shtanley

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

A lot to be said for this...whilst I love watching the City like any other fan, my actual games watched this season has decreased, mainly down to the fact it's an actual ball ache to get to the ground. So many factors...it has to be almost military precision to make a game...gone are the days when I could make a decision on the day....which is more often than not what I need to do.

Driving has now become nigh on impossible unless you leave hours before...and public transport is just too unreliable.

Going to the footy is meant to be a release from the real world and entertaining. It's actually more stressful than the working day.

Whilst I have really enjoyed the games I've watched and love the way we are playing...I've often found other activities to do that are less stressful on match day.

This, entirely. 

when end things ain’t going well on the pitch, the decision to leave Gloucester at 11.30 to get a parking spot nearish the ground, due to the council ‘you can’t park here even though it’s safe’ vendetta. Add onto that the blatant profiteering  (£10 to park for 2 hours in the few private car parks dotted around). Then either leaving a bit early to miss the traffic whilst getting serenaded about fire drills, or face getting home at 7.30 whilst paying exhorbitantly  for petrol and parking. 

Or use park and ride that charges a fiver per person, so that’s £20 for the 3 mile journey while waiting in the rain to then stand on a crowded bus as it trundles along. Or arrive by train either too early or too late while paying 20 quid ticket price wondering whether like the last time you’ll miss the first half as the train was delayed. Again. 

I am glad we are doing well as a club, I really am, gates are higher than they have been for 30 years, but this knock on effect coupled with draconian council rules encourages blatant profiteering which chips away at the love of going rather than the love of the club, and I say this as a 20 year plus season ticket holder 

next year who knows? Even with current form I doubt it. Technology is there now to watch it alternatively. I’ve watched every game this season either by going, paying for sky, now tv, BCTV, or even watched on the net some guy streaming the game by holding his phone up to his tv...

22 minutes ago, Spoons said:

@Shtanley a poor post all round. Click bait comes to mind. 

I'm not sure you've got the reaction you expected? A poor lazy post and another reason not to listen to your podcast. 

I wouldn’t base listening to the Podcast on what @Shtanley posts. I disagree with a lot of his posts, and think this one is a bit silly as during the losing run when we were playing crap football the opinion did make sense. But I still think OSIB is great. 

By having a few people on the podcast you get a range of views, and to be fair none of the views are ever unjustly extreme. 

Have you ever listened before @Spoons?

4 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Had 4 free tickets for the Bolton league game.sat in upper dolman where we had a man and wife talking about shopping in front of us and 2 screaming kids behind us.we left with 20 minutes left bored shitless.wont be going again for a while

You left immediately after we scored 2 goals to take the lead?

In a game where we had 20 shots, 70% possession?

Now that really proves there is no pleasing some people! 

8 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Had 4 free tickets for the Bolton league game.sat in upper dolman where we had a man and wife talking about shopping in front of us and 2 screaming kids behind us.we left with 20 minutes left bored shitless.wont be going again for a while

OMG what a horrible experience, I really feel for you, people talking at during the game, whatever next? Don’t even get me started on the screaming kids, I mean who’s decision isit to let these type of people into AG?

You had 4 FREE tickets and still complain@Mtimmy11 sounds like we’re really going to miss you :facepalm:

52 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This type of thread is becoming quite common and increasingly tiresome....you may have dressed it up a bit but it still reads like a ‘told you so about LJ’ type discussion...we’ve had loads of these, why post smug stuff trying to score points? 

It’s going well at the moment, why can’t you just enjoy it without having a badly-disguised dig at some supporters?

Works both ways. When we’re on a bad run people who aren’t “Johnson Out” are continually hounded for it.

45 minutes ago, Spoons said:

@Shtanley a poor post all round. Click bait comes to mind. 

I'm not sure you've got the reaction you expected? A poor lazy post and another reason not to listen to your podcast. 

I take the view that the poster is entitled to their view I personally have not listened to one of them but they have a complete right to talk what they want if you disagree don't listen one day I will listen and enjoy or not.

34 minutes ago, Selred said:

I wouldn’t base listening to the Podcast on what @Shtanley posts. I disagree with a lot of his posts, and think this one is a bit silly as during the losing run when we were playing crap football the opinion did make sense. But I still think OSIB is great. 

By having a few people on the podcast you get a range of views, and to be fair none of the views are ever unjustly extreme. 

Have you ever listened before @Spoons?

Yes have listened. Not all bad but find it a bit like listening to people who like there own voice down the pub.

4 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I recall a few months back there appeared to be a growing trend amongst City supporters of people being seemingly bored and completely done with football in it's (then) current state at Bristol City. 

Many threatening to not renew ST and to stop going out of pure boredom.

At the time I was a little bewildered and taken aback. I'm wondering whether that sentiment is still there or whether it was just because of our pretty poor form back then.

Just curious if anyone felt the same at the time or if they still do feel the same now. 

I think for 1 reason or another none of us we're completely happy with how the season ended with a string of defeats and then losing key players coupled with new faces to fill their spaces which we either knew not much about or didn't have wot most thought a great track record coupled with a stutter start which didn't help and again frustrated the majority. Although the football last season was high press and attractive to watch and caught many out I knew having played myself it would never be sustainable over the course of the season with such a young team with no depth adding to more frustration to all concerned. This is where we should all give credit to the team, LJ and the staff and co for identifying this and adapting accordingly and adjusting in such a short space of time to get us where we are competing with a small budget compared to most. Yes the football hasn't been the best but it's certainly getting better game by game so let's see how we all manage the next block of games this month and we never now come May LJ really could be are KING!! COYR. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

A lot to be said for this...whilst I love watching the City like any other fan, my actual games watched this season has decreased, mainly down to the fact it's an actual ball ache to get to the ground. So many factors...it has to be almost military precision to make a game...gone are the days when I could make a decision on the day....which is more often than not what I need to do.

Driving has now become nigh on impossible unless you leave hours before...and public transport is just too unreliable.

Going to the footy is meant to be a release from the real world and entertaining. It's actually more stressful than the working day.

Whilst I have really enjoyed the games I've watched and love the way we are playing...I've often found other activities to do that are less stressful on match day.

Just remember a good day in the office is still worse than a bad day at the gate(Fortress) but totally agree about ball ache travel I phoned the electricity board about this very problem but they claimed it was nothing to do with them(memory may have got that wrong)

1 minute ago, reddoh said:

Just remember a good day in the office is still worse than a bad day at the gate(Fortress) but totally agree about ball ache travel I phoned the electricity board about this very problem but they claimed it was nothing to do with them(memory may have got that wrong)

did you get hit by a killer whale?

4 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I recall a few months back there appeared to be a growing trend amongst City supporters of people being seemingly bored and completely done with football in it's (then) current state at Bristol City. 

At the time I was a little bewildered and taken aback. I'm wondering whether that sentiment is still there or whether it was just because of our pretty poor form back then.

Just curious if anyone felt the same at the time or if they still do feel the same now. 

Of course they don’t...........ffs............:facepalm:.  City are playing well and on a 12 match unbeaten run and those fickle and fairweather  ‘fans’ base everything on results.

Claiming they’re  not going to renew SCs are empty and meaningless threats that never materialise.....blah, blah, blah..........:sleeping:

Nothing but hot air.

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

could it be that the very people who think the OP is being smug are the very people who would have been smug if they got their wish and LJ had been sacked?

Just saying like.

Yes. 

It City went on a losing run again they would hate it obviously but a tiny part of them would love that they’d be able to be smug themselves.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course they don’t...........ffs............:facepalm:.  City are playing well and on a 12 match unbeaten run and those fickle and fairweather  ‘fans’ base everything on results.

Claiming they’re  not going to renew SCs are empty and meaningless threats that never materialise.....blah, blah, blah..........:sleeping:

Nothing but hot air.

S'funny really - those who often say they are not going to renew their ST's may possibly never attend matches in the first place let alone buy a ST.

Who knows on an anonymous forum where very regular posters ( self declared ST holders) can't be arsed to spend £5 to become a 'supporter' and keep this forum going?

I find it difficult to believe that if they can't spend £5 on a forum they clearly enjoy posting on then spending several hundred pounds on a ST to watch a team they clearly don't enjoy is , perhaps, as fictional as Wally's big investment and a swanky new stadium for the 40,000 who can't get tickets.

11 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

could it be that the very people who think the OP is being smug are the very people who would have been smug if they got their wish and LJ had been sacked?

Just saying like.

My backing is on record for LJ so I'm afraid your idea on me being smug about LJ being sacked is far fetched.

The OP posted a lazy post, he gets lots of credit normally and rightly so. But he also needs to be told when he's got it badly wrong like tonight.

So for what it's worth I haven't attended a Bristol City game since the Ipswich game last season. I want to make it very clear that this had nothing to do with the football, and the fact that we're 6th, unbeaten in months and I'm still not attending, proves that. My issues lie at the feet of trends within English football, the Lansdowns and sadly our fanbase.

English football has arguably the strongest football league in the world. Now there are many debates about whether the Premier League is the best top tier in the world, however if you take the pyramid as a whole, there probably isn't another country that can boast a non-regional, professional 5th tier. However despite this strength and history that is so prevalent in English football, there are so many flaws. Ticket prices are quite frankly extortionate. I was chatting to a Catalonian guy in a Barcelona hostel last year about football, and when I mentioned that our cheapest ST prices were £350, I had to scrape his jaw off the floor. He could not believe that it was so expensive to watch 2nd tier football. Quite frankly, neither can I. Yet despite, or maybe as a result of this, English football also boasts arguably the worst atmospheres in the world. I'm not talking about derby matches or big cup games against Man U, as anyone could make a racket then. I'm talking about average League matches where sadly you can hear the players pretty much every game. And we're good at wheeling out the same excuses. "We're given no freedom as fans" "The terraces are gone" etc etc. Well if you want limited freedom, try Turkey, yet they manage it, in the same way most countries create great atmospheres in all seaters.

Sadly this reality is reflected at BCFC. Now don't get me wrong, SL has done some good at City. The stadium obviously, as well as emerging young players are big pluses. The kits are on average better, despite a few duds and despite ups and downs, we are arguably closer to top tier football than any time in the last decade. However we've also seen the club throwing huge sums of money at players that could perhaps be better spent. Tomlin is a glaring example, but the number of multi-million pound signings this club has made, not mentioning salaries and agent fees, does not justify the cost of slowly pricing out loyal supporters. Make no bones about it, if SL thought that by getting rid of you he could replace you with two new fans, he'd bin you off without a second thought. This was confirmed when he changed Bristol Rugby to the bears. He understood people would dissent but he didn't care. Under SL, you are expendable. Using the rugby club as the case study, he is also clearly happy to ignore history and destroy a club kits, crests and identity, if he can get away with it, which I fear he has. But the sucker punch came last year with the ST fiasco. What SL and co tried to do to disabled supporters and children was nothing short of shameful. Although they backtracked slightly, they still showed their money grabbing hand for what it is. 

Now I mentioned the atmosphere nationally and sadly AG is little different. Despite the efforts of a noble few, songs die off before they begin, people stand or sit with their arms folded for 90 minutes and a few years ago people moaned because flags were flying during the game. Seriously? For me there is little point going to a game if you're not going to engage with it beyond watching it. You might as well watch it on the telly. Of course we're not all able to jump or even stand all game, but you don't need to look far on youtube to see just how different, quiet and passionless AG is on a common matchday. Although the silence doesn't anger me, it saddens me to be in a quiet football stadium. However when the ST fiasco happened last year, I thought the touch paper had been lit. City fans were furious and demanded change, and demanded action. I was excited. Protest here we come. Harry made a great point that we mocked all those Cardiff fans who kept going when they went red. They were plastic fans who were happy to be manipulated by the high trousered one. However as soon as action was proposed in the form of walk outs or boycotts, many City fans decided that the team was more important than standing up for fellow reds. In the end a few banners were raised at the Ipswich game, and I left before kick off. We were no better than those Cardiff fans and I thought we were.

Football is a beautiful game, but it should be an opportunity for everyone of all ages, races and financial situations to be proud of their local team. A team that has history and identity. And those supporters can express their pride no matter what league their in or how the team is doing. Sadly BCFC is failing miserably on that front, and I fear I won't be back till they re-prioritise 

WTTJ

12 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I think the sand feeling can be said about all things Bristol City. Our form influences our thoughts across a broad range of subjects. 

Players for example. On a losing run, no one would waxing lyrical about The Kalster (that’s Kalas/Webster) combo. And similar the anti Bristol Sport ramblings are much more scarce on a winning run. 

8 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Next time leave the FREE tickets for someone who might appreciate them. The club will really miss your non attendance ?

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I think the sand feeling can be said about all things Bristol City. Our form influences our thoughts across a broad range of subjects. 

Players for example. On a losing run, no one would waxing lyrical about The Kalster (that’s Kalas/Webster) combo. And similar the anti Bristol Sport ramblings are much more scarce on a winning run. 

Totally agree, form, in any professional sport influences supporters feelings and views. That is not unique to us.

All is pretty positive right now but give it three losses and all that would change - as it would at ANY club. That is football nowadays,  hyped by the media and of course the SOCIAL media and driven by the need to have content.

I think there is are subtle factors with us that has intensified this, not least the re- vamped AG - it has given us an unwitting level of expectation.

Last seasons cup run gave us a large increase in exposure which in turn led to expectation.

The lows in performance from last January and the summer ‘sales’ also led to a mood drop, that has only really lifted since late November.

Last week was another subtle example - window slams shut , no new striker - bit of a mood drop.

Its all part of being a supporter of a football club in the times we live in and that is very different to even 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

:redcard:

Archived