IGNORED

Interesting article on Norwich and Putting Faith in Youth

And Its Smith

Great article, thanks @RedDave for finding it.

@Shtanley @Olé @Don'tknowOscar'susername, brings up some of the points made on the latest podcast regarding how young players should be brought into the team. "Every single club in this country has young players who are good enough, genuinely. But what you have to do is provide the bridge for them" is the quote that stood out to me. In the pod you guys spoke about exposing the younger players earlier in the season so that you don't then have to through them straight into the cauldron in April and May. Seems to me that this guy at Norwich wold agree with you, with the caveat that if they are clearly not good enough then don't keep chucking them in. 

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Great article, thanks @RedDave for finding it.

@Shtanley @Olé @Don'tknowOscar'susername, brings up some of the points made on the latest podcast regarding how young players should be brought into the team. "Every single club in this country has young players who are good enough, genuinely. But what you have to do is provide the bridge for them" is the quote that stood out to me. In the pod you guys spoke about exposing the younger players earlier in the season so that you don't then have to through them straight into the cauldron in April and May. Seems to me that this guy at Norwich wold agree with you, with the caveat that if they are clearly not good enough then don't keep chucking them in. 

As a club we can do even more than we are with our youngsters. For me, one of Vyner or Moore should have Bakers spot as a back up and Baker should be sold to release funds to strengthen elsewhere. 

Johnson should trust Morrell and Walsh more rather than flog Pack and Brownhill.

There are a lot of good youngsters who were given their chance by accident rather than because the manager thought they were ready. Marcus Rashford is the best example. Only got in as United had loads of injuries.  

29 minutes ago, RedDave said:

There are a lot of good youngsters who were given their chance by accident rather than because the manager thought they were ready. Marcus Rashford is the best example. Only got in as United had loads of injuries.  

Or Max as our own example. He's obviously not the finished article just yet, but has been given a chance this season due to injuries and incompetence in the other goalies at the club. He's acquitted himself well and in my opinion shown that he's going to be a fine goalkeeper once he has ironed out the few weaknesses in his game.

33 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Johnson should trust Morrell and Walsh more rather than flog Pack and Brownhill.

Absolutely.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Or Max as our own example. He's obviously not the finished article just yet, but has been given a chance this season due to injuries and incompetence in the other goalies at the club. He's acquitted himself well and in my opinion shown that he's going to be a fine goalkeeper once he has ironed out the few weaknesses in his game.

I disagree and think Max who clearly has potential, should not have been given a run (appreciate circumstances said there was no other option). Our defence has leaked goals and looked so much more shaky since he came in and we are conceding goals from too far out that we didn’t earlier.

So while I agree with the philosophy I think some positions are just too important and keeper is definitely one, to develop outside the first team in the Championship. No other prem club is doing this that I can recall.

27 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I disagree and think Max who clearly has potential, should not have been given a run (appreciate circumstances said there was no other option). Our defence has leaked goals and looked so much more shaky since he came in and we are conceding goals from too far out that we didn’t earlier.

So while I agree with the philosophy I think some positions are just too important and keeper is definitely one, to develop outside the first team in the Championship. No other prem club is doing this that I can recall.

I think the signing of Marinovic shows that the club think the same as you. However he is clearly shite and so Max continues to get his chance.

However, this is the point the article made. You have to accept that the young players will make mistakes, errors etc. It's up to the senior players to try to compensate for those. Now take Sheff Wed. Why didn't the senior players in midfield help Max out by closing Bannan down to make the shot harder? No one individual takes the blame for that goal but there are things that could be improved to help teammates out.

As an aside, of all goalkeepers with 10 or more appearances across the season Max is number 4 on whoscored.com's list.  He is two places above Maenpaa and has superior long ball distribution and saves per game stats. He's got exactly the same stats for saves from shots taken outside the box.  I'd humbly suggest that the reason we've conceded more goals is because we've been allowing more shots on our goal. That is the fault of the outfield players.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think the signing of Marinovic shows that the club think the same as you. However he is clearly shite and so Max continues to get his chance.

However, this is the point the article made. You have to accept that the young players will make mistakes, errors etc. It's up to the senior players to try to compensate for those. Now take Sheff Wed. Why didn't the senior players in midfield help Max out by closing Bannan down to make the shot harder? No one individual takes the blame for that goal but there are things that could be improved to help teammates out.

As an aside, of all goalkeepers with 10 or more appearances across the season Max is number 4 on whoscored.com's list.  He is two places above Maenpaa and has superior long ball distribution and saves per game stats. He's got exactly the same stats for saves from shots taken outside the box.  I'd humbly suggest that the reason we've conceded more goals is because we've been allowing more shots on our goal. That is the fault of the outfield players.

Because as also mentioned in this thread Pack and Brownhill are knackered, they have been played into the ground and Pack especially has been getting poorer and poorer (I am sure having a baby has not helped) if we had dripped/played Morrell or Walsh when available at various times throughout the season then Pack and Brownhill would still be fresher. It's all just coming to bite us in the as like last year with a knackered squad (even though no long cup runs this year) oh and changing our away formations that worked so well all season for no real reason...).

The article is saying that a Sporting Director at the club is a must to enable the coach to get on with things and take pressure of his shoulders, I just can't see us appointing one as constant rumours are that MA and SL like to dabble in fist team affairs to much.

23 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Because as also mentioned in this thread Pack and Brownhill are knackered, they have been played into the ground and Pack especially has been getting poorer and poorer (I am sure having a baby has not helped) if we had dripped/played Morrell or Walsh when available at various times throughout the season then Pack and Brownhill would still be fresher. It's all just coming to bite us in the as like last year with a knackered squad (even though no long cup runs this year) oh and changing our away formations that worked so well all season for no real reason...).

Yes, I completely agree with that.

15 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'd be interested is where he'd be without the Villa game included.

Not to detract from Max, as I think he's been pretty solid on the whole, but in that Villa game he was exceptional- there were Villa fans saying it was the best goalkeeping performance they've ever witnessed.

Archived