IGNORED

Bristol City v Reading Match Day 11

Septic Peg

First 35 we looked good. I can’t help but feel this constant run of games has taken its toll on Brownhill and Massengo. They were running on treacle second half. We needed all our resilience to grind that one out.

International break come at just the right time. With Nagy and Kalas hopefully back we’ll have a bit more strength.

Diedhou did alright, Semenyo not so good!! There’s a lot more to come from this team when we can rotate properly and keep players fresh. Lack of freshness was the issue today.

3 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

What do you mean by that? I think its clear that he simply isn't good enough (yet).  Surely you can see it? Nobody is being abusive, but as a fan surely you have to point out the obvious.  He's still young, so hopefully he will improve in time, but at the moment we need better quality up front.  

Agree and if Afobe was fit, Semenyo would get very little first game time.

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I hope it doesn't knock his confidence.  I think he simply isn't ready yet, but due to injuries etc, we haven't really got many other options (literally).  I'm not saying he won't be a good player in time, but he clearly isn't at the standard required yet.  

Yes, as i said if Afobe was fit, he would be on loan to a L1 club.

Very lucky today , Reading out played us for a lot of the game, had the feeling to many of our players thought it was going be an easy afternoon work and couldn't get going when it turned out Reading where here to fight hard, a lot of tired looking players out there for us the break now is just at the right time

3 games in a week and a few looked heavy legged in that second half, not entirely surprising after those two tough away games.

Wasn't pretty and frustrating to watch at times, but for all Reading's huffing and puffing, they only really tested Bentley once. 

Will be good to have a few of the injured players coming back in after the break and boosting the squad. 

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

3 games in a week and a few looked heavy legged in that second half, not entirely surprising after those two tough away games.

Wasn't pretty and frustrating to watch at times, but for all Reading's huffing and puffing, they only really tested Bentley once. 

Will be good to have a few of the injured players coming back in after the break and boosting the squad. 

To be fair Bentley made TWO excellent saves. Lots of credit to Reading they found a way to play around Brownhill and Massengo and got away with giving Massengo three mighty thumps.

Take the tree points. It was a horrible watch but credit to them once their coach had worked us out!

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

To be fair Bentley made TWO excellent saves. Lots of credit to Reading they found a way to play around Brownhill and Massengo and got away with giving Massengo three mighty thumps.

Take the tree points. It was a horrible watch but credit to them once their coach had worked us out!

Daylight robbery to take the points in all honesty

Awful turgid display 

24 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Ah, I see it's Semenyo's turn.

To get justifiable criticism for a very poor game, it's clear he's not ready for the championship, he has no reading of the game, everytime the Reading defence saw what was happening well before he did so they where constant stepping in front of him, they started moving him around far to easily , he's got a lot to learn yet

1 minute ago, Banjo Red said:

Still missing that next level striker but cannot knock the togetherness of the squad and effort levels at the moment. 

We are missing a striker of course, yet only 3 teams have scored more goals than us. Hard to believe somehow!

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Daylight robbery to take the points in all honesty

Yep. However it balances out the bloke climbing all over Baker last week and a very dodgy first penalty. As for the display. It was fine for half an hour until Reading worked us out. You got to give the opposition occasionally!

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I can only remember the turn and shot from outside the box in the second half and some very scrabbly moments. We were no doubt second best, happy to take the points and move on.

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

I can only remember the turn and shot from outside the box in the second half and some very scrabbly moments. We were no doubt second best, take the points and move on.

First half one on one clean through Bentley saved...very good save.

LJ given Bentley the big up on radio Briz

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

First half one on one clean through Bentley saved...very good save.

LJ given Bentley the big up on radio Briz

Oh yep, made himself big there. I was thinking more about the second half to be honest, with all their possession they only tested him once. 

Poor performance but a bit of perspective needed.

3 tough games in a week including two away games where many teams won’t get much (see Barnsley at Preston today) - 5 points yielded. A lot of injuries and we are 6th - 2 point off the top. Chance now to have a break and get 2 key players hopefully back. 

Decent enough first half, weak second half.  Too much negativity in the middle third in selecting passes. 

Nothing much to worry about overall when you consider we're missing our best centre half, best centre forward and maybe even best central midfielder.

I didn't understand bringing Semenyo on in that circumstance, he hasn't got the experience to run the line on his own and looked a bit lost.

Bentley did very well, didn't think there were many individual performances to write home about other than that. 

Reading were pretty average, missed an absolute sitter and then the goalmouth scramble was more our mess than their effort.  They were more toothless than us.

I thought the ref and officials were exceptional today which was nice to see.

Great result, rode our luck a little but that's fine as long as we don't do it every week.

40 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Ah, I see it's Semenyo's turn.

It isn't fair on a young player to play him if he isn't ready for this level yet. It would be much better for his development to play at a lower level where he could make more impact and grow in confidence.

I just think the club aren't doing him any favours putting him in the team at this point in time. He may be great in a few years but you need to give him the best chance of getting there. It doesn't look to me like he is making much progress playing in our first team, although obviously it is only a couple of months into the season.

3 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

It isn't fair on a young player to play him if he isn't ready for this level yet. It would be much better for his development to play at a lower level where he could make more impact and grow in confidence.

I just think the club aren't doing him any favours putting him in the team

Like at Newport County for instance?

Until he's what, 25? 26?

Archived