IGNORED

Identity...

spudski

...still struggling to see what our 'Identity' is these days.

Is it attitude or style of play?

I watched Charlton last night, and their 'Identity' stood out miles, all across the pitch.

It reminded very much of how we used to play a couple seasons ago...when I could see our playing 'Identity'.

We seem to grind out games these days...with a solid defence and defensive midfield...but when it comes to being offensive it seems to be all over the shop.

If another supporter asked you what LJ means by showing our Identity, could you answer knowing 100%?

Not knocking Club or LJ...loving everything that's happening at our Club...just scratching my head as to what our 'Identity' is....

I think our identity is about our approach and character.  Try to create quality chances rather than lots of poor ones.  Try to limit the opposition’s good chances.  Trust that we will create.  Belief that a system change can change the game.

Its not what we are used to.

I fully accept LJ’s explanation of his subs last night....I was a bit frustrated at the time, because I thought we’d just built up a head of steam...and then we go 1-0 down. And I obviously didn’t know at the point of the subs what the plan was.

I’m starting to see LJ’s realisation that what looks great on a chalkboard / training ground, doesn't always translate to the pitch with an opposition trying to stop you.  I think that to some extent us the reason for having two main systems, and players that can play both and some players who can only play in one.

It will probably leave us confused at times, but I think we have to trust him....results gave largely been positive for 12 months.  This season we’ve been hamstrung by injuries, yet to sit here p13 w6 d5 l2 and in 4th deserves a fair bit of respect / credit imho.

Have to agree. We want to play out from the back, but we often have very little creativity in midfield, so end up playing it around at the back, rather than doing anything with it, and occasionally putting ourselves under pressure. Far too little movement from too many players. The first half yesterday was an excellent demonstration of all of this.

Second half was a different story when we played it around, but in general we were still scared to shoot. Hopefully lots of confidence will have been gained from yesterday’s final minute and result against the odds.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think our identity is about our approach and character.  Try to create quality chances rather than lots of poor ones.  Try to limit the opposition’s good chances.  Trust that we will create.  Belief that a system change can change the game.

I fully accept LJ’s explanation of his subs last night....I was a bit frustrated at the time, because I thought we’d just built up a head of steam...and then we go 1-0 down. And I obviously didn’t know at the point of the subs what the plan was.

I’m starting to see LJ’s realisation that what looks great on a chalkboard / training ground, doesn't always translate to the pitch with an opposition trying to stop you.  I think that to some extent us the reason for having two main systems, and players that can play both and some players who can only play in one.

It will probably leave us confused at times, but I think we have to trust him....results gave largely been positive for 12 months.  This season we’ve been hamstrung by injuries, yet to sit here p13 w6 d5 l2 and in 4th deserves a fair bit of respect / credit imho.

Think this is a nice angle on the identity point. Maybe it is more of a state of mind than a style of play or formation. 

One thing that's not been mentioned much is how many points we've secured from losing positions. Not checked the precise figure but just off the top of my head you've got two 1-1s at Birmingham and Brentford, then two 2-1s from Stoke and last night. So that's 8 of the 23 points. Real resilience.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with this and what @Dr Balls said.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it this way. Hence my OP as I thought I could be way off...

And yes we have to take into consideration the massive amount of injuries to key players that would influence our play. So we are hamstrung in many ways.

We seem to start games very conservatively and depending on who scores first it has a major effect in how we react. I still think we are reactionary rather than Pro active.

Imo...LJ has rolled the dice and won on many occasions when chasing the game.

Yesterday was a prime example...it was the perfect ball and finish to win the game.

But prior to that Palmer risked losing the ball in really dangerous positions. He didn't...so everyone left happy. But if dispossessed it could have been so different.

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

I watched Charlton last night, and their 'Identity' stood out miles, all across the pitch.

It reminded very much of how we used to play a couple seasons ago...when I could see our playing 'Identity'.

We seem to grind out games these days...with a solid defence and defensive midfield...but when it comes to being offensive it seems to be all over the shop.

If another supporter asked you what LJ means by showing our Identity, could you answer knowing 100%?

Not knocking Club or LJ...loving everything that's happening at our Club...just scratching my head as to what our 'Identity' is....

Agreed. We flit from 3-5-2 to 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 with a midfield diamond or wingers, because our most creative players in the former, Palmer, and middle formation, Eliasson, can't play for more than an hour, and are lightweight defensively.

Add to that a shortage of strikers and a defensive midfield that's being carried by an 18 year-old, mature beyond his years, means we've performed miracles to climb to 4th. Probably by confusing the hell out of the opposition.

I think we need to bin the wingers and stick to 3-5-2 that will provide solidity. If Palmer can improve his stamina and Brownhill his performances then Massengo will have able partners in a dominant midfield triumvirate.

If we can get to game 24 with a minimum of 38 points, then an astute striker signing (or two) in January, plus the return of Smith and Dasilva should see us mount a strong play off challenge.

Lets face it, we never do anything the easy way. (Aside from 2015)

Our ‘identity’ as described by LJ is something that few us actually recognise.

At Senior Reds earlier this season I asked him directly what he thought was our ‘identity’ is and he started to waffle on without saying anything of substance .....Now he either doesn’t know what our identity is or he thought that we old duffers wouldn’t understand it.............:cool2: but we were left none the wiser.......

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it this way.

And yes we have to take into consideration the massive amount of injuries to key players that would influence our play. So we are hamstrung in many ways.

We seem to start games very conservatively and depending on who scores first it has a major effect in how we react. I still think we are reactionary rather than Pro active.

Yesterday was a prime example...it was the perfect ball and finish to win the game.

But prior to that Palmer risked losing the ball in really dangerous positions. He didn't...so everyone left happy. But if dispossessed it could have been so different.

Yes, I think we are doing very well considering the injuries. If I'd known at the start of the season what injuries we'd be having I'd have delighted to struggle to about 17 points until they started coming back. I think we are taking "one day at a time" till then, and Luton was a game too far, but we regrouped last night and hopefully on Sunday as well .

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But for me Fevs, we should be the team making the opposition change their tactics to counteract our performances but all to often it is us changing from a 3 at the back to a 4 or to 2 up top etc to counteract their performances! 
All because (Imo) we are set-up wrong & not on the front foot from the off! I could maybe understand it on the odd performance but it feels like every home game so far this season.

And I’ve said it before, it’s like we set-up to play like the away team at home, like there’s a fear, even during our 10 game unbeaten run we didn’t boss any games, we’ve ground out results.

I’m hoping this is solely down to our selection issues with our injury situation & really hoping that if things ease up on that front that the 2nd half of the season may see us truly show our ‘identity’ & allow us to show the division what we’re truly capable of.

14 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Agreed. We flit from 3-5-2 to 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 with a midfield diamond or wingers, because our most creative players in the former, Palmer, and middle formation, Eliasson, can't play for more than an hour, and are lightweight defensively.

Add to that a shortage of strikers and a defensive midfield that's being carried by an 18 year-old, mature beyond his years, means we've performed miracles to climb to 4th. Probably by confusing the hell out of the opposition.

I think we need to bin the wingers and stick to 3-5-2 that will provide solidity. If Palmer can improve his stamina and Brownhill his performances then Massengo will have able partners in a dominant midfield triumvirate.

If we can get to game 24 with a minimum of 38 points, then an astute striker signing (or two) in January, plus the return of Smith and Dasilva should see us mount a strong play off challenge.

Lets face it, we never do anything the easy way. (Aside from 2015)

I agree re the formation to create a platform from...or 4231/4132 which is what we do during games.

It's is if we are in transition again.

For me we play with structure in two thirds of the pitch, but in the last third it's made up on the hoof so to speak...chancing it, rather than planning it.

When everyone's back fit things could change...although I think it will be next year before those injured get back to 100%.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it this way. Hence my OP as I thought I could be way off...

I agree with you. I think Lee is by nature, a very cautious coach, his game plan seems to be if we have the ball the opposition can’t score. To an extent I get it as we don’t have the firepower to go toe - to - toe. 

When we go behind he generally makes significant changes to try and change the game, sometimes it works as it did last night, sometimes it doesn’t.

He does seem to be more concerned about the opposition rather than impose the way we play on them. And that’s the point I think you are making we don’t have a ‘style of play’ that we impose, rather we react to the way the opposition chose to play.

On Sunday Wigan are coming for a point- you can predict that now, how will we set- up? Answer - we will endeavor to keep the ball, probably not create much and then go for it by introducing more attacking players after 60 minutes.

I don’t think we have an identity and ultimately it will cost us.

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I agree with you. I think Lee is by nature, a very cautious coach, his game plan seems to be if we have the ball the opposition can’t score. To an extent I get it as we don’t have the firepower to go toe - to - toe. 

When we go behind he generally makes significant changes to try and change the game, sometimes it works as it did last night, sometimes it doesn’t.

He does seem to be more concerned about the opposition rather than impose the way we play on them. And that’s the point I think you are making we don’t have a ‘style of play’ that we impose, rather we react to the way the opposition chose to play.

On Sunday Wigan are coming for a point- you can predict that now, how will we set- up? Answer - we will endeavor to keep the ball, probably not create much and then go for it by introducing more attacking players after 60 minutes.

I don’t think we have an identity and ultimately it will cost us.

Good points, which I agree to most. I do think LJ is gung ho when chasing games.

Genuine question - do you need an identity to be successful?

And what is identity??

I’d say we have an identity as a club.

On the pitch...how much does it matter?

I’d say we go on the pitch every game with a plan...is that an identity?

What’s the identity of all the teams in the top 6 at the mo?? Or even all the teams in the top 6 of the prem? 

45 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Think this is a nice angle on the identity point. Maybe it is more of a state of mind than a style of play or formation. 

One thing that's not been mentioned much is how many points we've secured from losing positions. Not checked the precise figure but just off the top of my head you've got two 1-1s at Birmingham and Brentford, then two 2-1s from Stoke and last night. So that's 8 of the 23 points. Real resilience.

I only track h-t v f-t, and so far this season we are 21pts at h-t versus 23pts at f-t.

I’m never quite sure how to work out swings - how to you categorise Preston....2-0, 2-2, 3-2 then 3-3?  But I agree with your examples.

32 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But for me Fevs, we should be the team making the opposition change their tactics to counteract our performances but all to often it is us changing from a 3 at the back to a 4 or to 2 up top etc to counteract their performances! 
All because (Imo) we are set-up wrong & not on the front foot from the off! I could maybe understand it on the odd performance but it feels like every home game so far this season.

And I’ve said it before, it’s like we set-up to play like the away team at home, like there’s a fear, even during our 10 game unbeaten run we didn’t boss any games, we’ve ground out results.

I’m hoping this is solely down to our selection issues with our injury situation & really hoping that if things ease up on that front that the 2nd half of the season may see us truly show our ‘identity’ & allow us to show the division what we’re truly capable of.

It’s a tough one Tipps.  Luton matched us up Saturday, Brentford did too.  So I don’t think it’s all one-way.

I think very few games are bossed by any team in this division, except Leeds early season form.  Most games are quite close, with teams having spells.

I don’t recall there being too many team (if any) announcements this season where I’ve thought “WTF”.  I have in the past!

Last season we chased a lot of games, certainly at home, going in a goal behind.  We’ve only been behind at h-t twice this season (home and away), Leeds and Stoke.  We’ve been ahead 5 times, drawing 6 (5x nil-nil).  Leeds and Stoke are the only games we’ve fallen behind to the first goal in the first half....so although we’ve perhaps not been expressive, I’m not sure it means we’ve set up wrong either.  Maybe other teams set up more cautiously too?

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I only track h-t v f-t, and so far this season we are 21pts at h-t versus 23pts at f-t.

I’m never quite sure how to work out swings - how to you categorise Preston....2-0, 2-2, 3-2 then 3-3?  But I agree with your examples.

It’s a tough one Tipps.  Luton matched us up Saturday, Brentford did too.  So I don’t think it’s all one-way.

I think very few games are bossed by any team in this division, except Leeds early season form.  Most games are quite close, with teams having spells.

I don’t recall there being too many team (if any) announcements this season where I’ve thought “WTF”.  I have in the past!

Last season we chased a lot of games, certainly at home, going in a goal behind.  We’ve only been behind at h-t twice this season (home and away), Leeds and Stoke.  We’ve been ahead 5 times, drawing 6 (5x nil-nil).  Leeds and Stoke are the only games we’ve fallen behind to the first goal in the first half....so although we’ve perhaps not been expressive, I’m not sure it means we’ve set up wrong either.  Maybe other teams set up more cautiously too?

But how many times has LJ changed from the 3 at the back to the 4? It feels like a lot. And most times it feels like Taylor Moore has been the player removed.

Personally, there’s been a couple of times this season that I’ve questioned the team selection, Wednesday being one of them, Fam is crying out to be played with wingers to feed off crosses, how many times has that actually happened? And for me, Brentford absolutely dominated us but as we were the away team I kind of expected it.

And again, personally our only game we’ve really played well this season was Derby away, although Preston away wasn’t a bad performance. But if we can keep grinding out results without playing particularly well & with our injury situation as it is, things bode well for the next phase of the season.

One of the best formations and performances that we have seen in the past year was the first half against West Brom when we played a 4-2-2-2 formation. On the front foot right from the off. Given our various injuries, I would actually suggest we try it on Sunday against Wigan:

Bentley

Periera       Williams        Moore         Rowe

Massengo      Brownhill

Palmer            O’Dowda

Weimann        Rodri

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Our ‘identity’ as described by LJ is something that few us actually recognise.

I might have banged my head without realising it....I'm quoting @Robbored and I agree him!

It's one of LJ's favourite words and yet I think his City sides have had absolutely no identity. The injuries are a significant problem but we never know what we are getting from game to game. When we lose, we have "lost our identity". When we win, we've "found our identity again".

It is waffle and it's meaningless. Yesterday's game against Charlton turned in our favour because the subs finally gave the crowd something to cheer. That positive feedback loop pushed the players including Diedhiou to finally stir some effort into the previously turgid formation. A decent tactical change that ultimately paid off but it had nothing to do with identity.

I'm very happy with LJ as coach and games like yesterday's will live long in my memory. I would love to see us progress this season and I applaud some of our performances. But we absolutely do not have an "identity".

Agree we don’t have an identity. Pretty much bottom of expected goals, rarely win at a canter and can lose by a few also point to that. But a resilience to grind out the results, a flexibility, many different ways of playing and better individual quality than many in the division sees us ok. Almost the exact opposite of how we were under Cotterill.

50 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Genuine question - do you need an identity to be successful?

And what is identity??

I’d say we have an identity as a club.

On the pitch...how much does it matter?

I’d say we go on the pitch every game with a plan...is that an identity?

What’s the identity of all the teams in the top 6 at the mo?? Or even all the teams in the top 6 of the prem? 

In answer to the first question generally yes. 

In answer to the second question it is playing approach x coaching x recruitment and normally defined by principles that are adhered to over a long term.  

If I took teams in the EPL Liverpool and Man City have vey clear playing approaches governed by principles the teams do not move away from be that Klopps full throttle football, its pressing or Guardiolas immediate support of the football, passing patterns, high press … These identities follow their coaches. 

Recent successes Championship in Bournemouth and Norwich again played football dictated by clear playing principles (identity). 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I just quoted you in another topic about this so apologies if I am repeating myself.

LJ figured out playing that way was unsustainable, we spectacularly missed out on even the play offs in the season we had the cup run. We had run out of steam. We had to change our identity as playing like that in the Championship, with Championship standard players over a long season just isn't feasible, especially when you consider we have been cursed with injuries over the last few years. 

I feel like we play more conservatively these days in order to keep us fresher towards the end of the season and to minimise risk of injury.

Charlton picked up two injuries, in the 1st half which is worrying on top of all their other injuries they have. 

So whilst it is great to look at a team like Charlton and wished we played that way, it's not entirely feasible over the course of a long Championship season.

34 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But how many times has LJ changed from the 3 at the back to the 4? It feels like a lot.
virtually every game he’s swapped from a 5 to a 4, or a 4 to a 5.  I’m not necessarily seeing that as setting up wrong, opposition change theirs too.  Changing doesn’t necessarily mean “got it wrong”, might be to see out a game and hang on to lead.  But I certainly see your point.

And most times it feels like Taylor Moore has been the player removed.

yes, incorrectly on a few occasions imho.

Personally, there’s been a couple of times this season that I’ve questioned the team selection, Wednesday being one of them, Fam is crying out to be played with wingers to feed off crosses, how many times has that actually happened?

Is he?  Contentious view, but I’m not sure he is.  I know it’s boring, but Eliasson has assisted him once since they both arrived here!  I don’t think Eliasson’s whipped crosses suit Fam.  It’s just not something I’m convinced about.  But your view is fine with me.

And for me, Brentford absolutely dominated us but as we were the away team I kind of expected it.

do you mean Charlton, or are you going back to the Brentford game.  If so, I think he set up right (5212)...and it was the switch at h-t to 442 that stuffed us!

And again, personally our only game we’ve really played well this season was Derby away, although Preston away wasn’t a bad performance. But if we can keep grinding out results without playing particularly well & with our injury situation as it is, things bode well for the next phase of the season.

yep, subjective....I enjoyed qpr at home and hull away too.

31 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

One of the best formations and performances that we have seen in the past year was the first half against West Brom when we played a 4-2-2-2 formation. On the front foot right from the off. Given our various injuries, I would actually suggest we try it on Sunday against Wigan:

Bentley

Massengo      Brownhill

Weimann        Rodri

Was good for 20-25 minutes until James Shan (West Brom manager) sussed it!!!

I don’t mind your line-up as it happens.  It might not be a million miles away from what we see.  I think those 4 might be a lopsided diamond....rather than a square.

52 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Bentley

Massengo      Brownhill

Weimann        Rodri

It worked because it was used to directly stop West Brom playing the way they wanted by playing out, its risky because if you play it against the wrong opponents who are good at bypassing the press and you take a few of your players out of the game until they can get back in.

Our identity is ‘ also rans ‘ . 

The club are trying to change that and we are making ripples and this will only change with promotion as Champions from this division and actually winning something .

We are on the right track but talk of our ‘ identity ‘ is a little confusing at the moment.

Man Utd had an identity of attractive attacking football.
Leeds Utd had an identity of ruthless efficiency.

Liverpool had an identity of resilience and belief in their players .

Forest had an identity of winning with the majority of their players being outcasts from other clubs .

Identities change  with time but I’m , equally, not too sure what ours is today .

A nice family club trying to better themselves in a proper, decent way but as for the playing style ...

9 hours ago, spudski said:

I agree re the formation to create a platform from...or 4231/4132 which is what we do during games.

It's is if we are in transition again.

For me we play with structure in two thirds of the pitch, but in the last third it's made up on the hoof so to speak...chancing it, rather than planning it.

When everyone's back fit things could change...although I think it will be next year before those injured get back to 100%.

It could be argued that the lack of structure in the final third actually makes us less predictable for an opposition defending and therefore more dangerous. The winner against Charlton being a perfect example. Whilst the Charlton back line was worse than a Sunday League back four in the 98th minute if you froze the play when the ball reached Palmer literally nobody could have predicted a couple of seconds later the ball would be in the onion bag. It was two pieces of individual brilliance by Palmer and Brownhill.

A popular subject atm, it’s that kind of play that blows XG out of the water on occasion!!

Just thinking that an ‘ identity ‘ may be down to a style of play .

Barcelona have it with their tippety tappety possession based play but if you know how a team are going to play ( without world class players) then you’re halfway to negating them. 

It must be quite hard for opposition coaches to counter LJ’s teams because he changes it so often .

Archived