IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL

Leveller

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

I just don't get it. It was clear the last time we went down that the Womens game was getting bigger and bigger and yet our ownership did next to nothing to prevent us dropping out of the top flight and now, with great support and the WSL very much a place where decent investment brings bigger rewards, we're slipping out of it again.

The Womens Championship gets stronger each season which makes it more difficult to get back up again.

Why do the Landsdowns bother if they're not going to take it seriously? They binned the first City Womens team in 2007 and then, when it soon became apparent that was a mistake as the ladies game rapidly grew, they bought some one elses team. Then, after going to all that effort to bring it back into the City fold they preside over a season by season decline in the WSL and then relegation. When we get back into the WSL, they standby and watch the team struggle all over again. Bizarre.

I keep an eye out for their scores and hope they do well but for me, I struggle to get past the fact that they were formed as the Bristol Rovers ladies team. 

Just feels a bit like a franchise team rather than being organically BCFC. 

8 hours ago, myol'man said:

I went today and noticed that the gulf in class from the top of the WSL to the bottom is vast.

Little investment in the squad = relegation 

The gulf in class between the bottom side and the side which sits above them was an embarrassment. 

• Like 5

On 28/01/2024 at 21:32, W-S-M Seagull said:

I struggle to get past the fact that they were formed as the Bristol Rovers ladies team. 

Back at the time when there was already another City women's team, which then disbanded in the late 2000s, as the renamed Bristol Academy began to take form, before being taken over by Bristol Sport and renamed City Women in 2015

4 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Looks like this is from a press conference today, but it appears that on WSL transfer deadline day, the club will have no more deals...

Unbelievable.  That’s the club accepting relegation half way through a season when we have one of the best average attendances in Europe.  They literally don’t care 

• Like 10

Full press conference released

Includes confirmation of no new business expected in the window, Satara Murray injuring her calf (awaiting scan results), Naomi Layzell's groin issue last week (Saturday may be too soon for her to return), Lisa Evans, and why the away form is so different compared to at home

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/smiths-aston-villa-press-conference-2/

1 hour ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Unbelievable.  That’s the club accepting relegation half way through a season when we have one of the best average attendances in Europe.  They literally don’t care 

Couldn’t agree more. Short-sighted and useless from those in charge. Really feel for Lauren Smith. Treated as badly as Nige I.e. set up to fail! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Short-sighted and useless from those in charge

Trying to actually pin down who the hell is in charge is something of a puzzle. According to the main site, Gavin Marshall is the Chairman but he's not listed as such on the companies house website. He does though have 9 different dirctorship roles across all of the Bristol Sports groups. There isn't one person who is not at least doubled up in various other jobs. The main site also shows Kevin Hamblin as a director however, he resigned according to companies house, in December last year.

Its a bloody mess and a slap in the face to the players and those fans who have turned out and got behind the ladies this season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Trying to actually pin down who the hell is in charge is something of a puzzle. According to the main site, Gavin Marshall is the Chairman but he's not listed as such on the companies house website. He does though have 9 different dirctorship roles across all of the Bristol Sports groups. There isn't one person who is not at least doubled up in various other jobs. The main site also shows Kevin Hamblin as a director however, he resigned according to companies house, in December last year.

Its a bloody mess and a slap in the face to the players and those fans who have turned out and got behind the ladies this season.

There is no puzzle. Steve Lansdown is in charge and responsible for City, the Bears & the ladies. The others are just bit part players. He alone sets the budgets and is responsible for this shit show. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

The problem is the Manager..Smith out she is ******* clueless 😡😡😡😡

Look at the players she has to work with and pick from, compare it to the other clubs in the WSL, and the reason we are at the bottom of the table is pretty clear. And it’s not the manager. Needed to invest more at the beginning of the season rather than hoping for young players to cope at this level. And the best of them, like Brooke Aspin will be off at the end of the season, so getting back to the WSL for a third time after relegation will be even harder. No parachute payments like the men’s game!

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Look at the players she has to work with and pick from, compare it to the other clubs in the WSL, and the reason we are at the bottom of the table is pretty clear. And it’s not the manager. Needed to invest more at the beginning of the season rather than hoping for young players to cope at this level. And the best of them, like Brooke Aspin will be off at the end of the season, so getting back to the WSL for a third time after relegation will be even harder. No parachute payments like the men’s game!

Probably some stronger teams in tier2 than last season too.

• Like 3

I can’t understand the thought process.  In the men’s game there’s at least a theory that being a yo-yo club allows you to accrue money from TV payouts and parachute payments.  You then gradually build your club until it’s ready to stay up.  But that strategy doesn’t make sense in the WSL.  All the money is in the top flight, basically nothing in the championship.  Getting back up might take ages.  There’s only 1 relegation spot so we only need to be better than 1 team.  And it’s not like Lansdown could have watched the first half of the season and thought we’d more than likely survive as we are.  Plus investment is relatively peanuts in terms of cost compared to the men. Therefore it can only be that they either don’t care, are incompetent or actively want the women’s team to fail.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Don’t know why but I’m more angry about the way the woman’s team are being managed than the mens.  I can at least see some logic on the men’s side.  The people i feel most sorry for are the staff and the long-standing die hard fans ( I’m very much a part time one over recent seasons only for the women).  All that effort to get up, unbelievable progress with crowds and facilities etc just to chuck it all away after a feeble 1 season fling  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Don’t know why but I’m more angry about the way the woman’s team are being managed than the mens.  I can at least see some logic on the men’s side.  The people i feel most sorry for are the staff and the long-standing die hard fans ( I’m very much a part time one over recent seasons only for the women).  All that effort to get up, unbelievable progress with crowds and facilities etc just to chuck it all away after a feeble 1 season fling  

Think Lauren Smith gave the game away early in the season when she said we're just little old Bristol City. That appears to be the mindset. 

• Like 1

Only City related in the sense that the next home game is against them in early March.

Brighton have become the first team in the WSL this season to have their manager leave/lose their job. For additional info, this time last year she had just left London City Lionesses in the Championship, before moving Stateside to take up an assistant coach role at Angel City in the NWSL, before returning to England to join Brighton...

On 31/01/2024 at 20:37, phantom said:

I honestly think we're a weaker team than last year 

And/or maybe the opposition is a lot more competitive.

But there are some definite things to note compared to last season:
The GK situation: last season Fran Bentley pretty much played every game. This season, there's been an injury and/or knock to pretty much every goalkeeper, hence the different ones who have appeared. Benedicte Haaland didn't get much game time in her short-team deal, and Shae Yanez seems to be an apparent replacement for Kaylan Marckese. If Liv Clark is fit this weekend, I hope she starts. Bentley is back in training but no idea when she's due to return.
Also, new goalkeeping coach in the team who joined in the summer (although I should assume his appointment & subsequent events are coincidence...)

Midfield: Aimee Palmer leaving at the end of last season was a huge blow, and Rachel Furness' absence from injury has impacted the midfield

Goal scorers: Before her goal at Brighton, Abi Harrison hadn't scored at all this season. Shania Hayles doesn't seem to start nowadays, but has only scored one goal this season - in the Conti Cup. Both were prolific goal scorers in the last two seasons respectively (not sure if there is a "Golden Boot" curse). I wonder if Hayles would start on Saturday, especially against her old team

• Like 4

Well put, Shahan, and clearly the side has not performed as well as the previous season for those reasons and others. There have been problems in all depatments. If we compare the Championship winning side with this one there are a few significant changes, particularly in midfield. It was almost a new side in September in terms of the playing style. I also think we have resorted to more cautious or defensive mindsets.

• Like 1

Lisa Evans makes her first start.
Naomi Layzell returns to the squad. Emily Syme & Ffion Morgan start as well.

Abi Harrison, Mari Ward, Sille Struck drop to the bench. Satara Murray out after getting injured last week

KO 12.30pm, live on FA Player for those that couldn't make it to the (ahem) Poundland Bescot Stadium

GFaLqW2WoAAx33j?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by shahanshahan

The first 15 minutes were poor and we were almost 2 goals behind before Villa scored their first. We have slowly grown in confidence over the rest of the half and our goal was well taken. Pressing them well in Midfield now. Fingers crossed we keep pushing on in the second half.

• Like 1