IGNORED

City v Stoke City - Match day 2

Davefevs

Just looking at Stoke sentinel website and it looks like we were doing the gamesmanship tricks at the end .As others have previously mentioned since Dean has become manager we seem to be doing this more.Fantastic in my book.

Great weekend another superb win .Garner ball going tits up again .Plus my woodshed is built ready for winter.

coyr and ftg

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

We would've lost that game under Johnson.

Well done DH and the boys. Complete away performance.

To be fair to LJ, he won a lot of tricky away games but those were backs to the wall, counter-attack smash and grab wins. This was all about imposing ourselves on the home team which is way more enjoyable to watch. Fair play, Holden, you smashed it today. 

1 hour ago, Victory Park Reds said:

Just looking at Stoke sentinel website and it looks like we were doing the gamesmanship tricks at the end .As others have previously mentioned since Dean has become manager we seem to be doing this more.Fantastic in my book.

Great weekend another superb win .Garner ball going tits up again .Plus my woodshed is built ready for winter.

coyr and ftg

Bentley controlling the ball and then dribbling it back to the touch line to make fletcher come and chase after it right at the death. Delightful ??

Enjoyable watch that. It’s first time I’ve seen us this season - thought we looked very solid defensively which was very pleasing. 

Started off well and probably should have taken lead in that period. Then it was even until we got the goal. 

2nd half was more a case of just staying solid and then the gaps came towards the end. Apart from one deflected shot that went just wide, they had next to nothing. Can’t remember last time we have a home side no clear cut chances?

Though everyone played well - Backinson in particular very good. Can’t get too carried away but positive signs there.

16 hours ago, Red7 said:

Weimann made me eat humble pie today. Fair play to him. Deserved his goal.

At least you are happy to admit it, or at least reflect that Weimann did “okay” yesterday.  Some posters strangely quiet!!! ??‍♂️

15 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Is humble pie a dessert ?? I thought more a main course ?. Red Source on a dessert is just wrong, plain wrong.

I have been known to put salad cream on KFC ?  mind.

Humble pie is main course.

Eating your hat is dessert, especially if it’s made out of rice paper.

Was having a quiet pint outside the Nova Scotia when the City coach went past on it's way back to the Gate.

You could hardly miss it, bright red all over with a huge Robin on the side.

All happened a bit too quickly for me to give them a one man standing ovation!

Well played City and well done Dean, bringing some cheer in pretty grim times.

Really optimistic this is going to be a memorable season with a team to take pride in and entertaining football as a minimum.

'Blimey, we seem to have a really good team' as I said to Mrs. The Bad when the 2nd went in! :city:

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

At least you are happy to admit it, or at least reflect that Weimann did “okay” yesterday.  Some posters strangely quiet!!! ??‍♂️

Humble pie is main course.

Eating your hat is dessert, especially if it’s made out of rice paper.

Hat is starter unless it’s a beret. Then it can be eaten as a dessert. Up your game Dave...

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

At least you are happy to admit it, or at least reflect that Weimann did “okay” yesterday.  Some posters strangely quiet!!!

He did more than okay. It makes me very happy when a City player I have criticised in the past proves me wrong.  

40 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

As long as DH isn't as streaky as LJ was with his win/lose runs.

It looks like DH is letting the players play in what they are good at and it appears the team building is paying off. LJ was big on team building but his game plan was incorrect as in consistrating to much on the opposition and how we would put together a side in how to stop the opposition. 

Things are going good at the moment and lets all be happy to a great and positive start to the season.  

On 20/09/2020 at 15:09, JoeAman08 said:

Over and over he gets into good positions and it breaks down at him consistently. What I like is he will try and make the correct pass or touch but more often than not he doesn’t have the quality to get it done. Headless chicken wouldn’t be fair but the game rarely looks slow for him. For one of our highest earners and most experienced players at good levels I wonder why he looks least composed out of everyone else.

So common amongst quick players Joe

If he had that composure you want he'd not be with us but still in prem

He does show composure at times - His finish at Derby last season etc

Most players has strengths and a weakness at this level                                                                                                  

For example Chris Martin has an excellent touch and composure but lacks pace 

Hes a classic player unappreciated by a lot of fans but not by teammates or managers

Anyone whos manged or picked a side would always find a place for a Andi Weimann

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Hes a classic player unappreciated by a lot of fans but not by teammates or managers

Anyone whos manged or picked a side would always find a place for a Andi Weimann

⬆️

Agreed - in the right position.

He played really well yesterday and rubbed my nose it, but I was hoping it was a makeshift selection due to injuries etc, but it doesn't appear so as Holden selected him over some career midfielders.

I get that his energy is remarkable and that he'll keep going till the final whistle, even scoring in added time yesterday for example, but for me he lacks composure in a crowded midfield and everything is 100mph. Just slow down slightly Andi and the ball won't run away from you or get caught under your feet, or you rush a pass which goes astray. To me, he looks what he is in midfield - a forward. 

But as long as its working, its fine and yesterday it worked very well with him in midfield (for the first time imo).

It'll be interesting to see what happens once Morrell, Walsh, and Williams are available, never mind Palmer, Nagy, or Massengo. There'll be a lot of knocking on DHs door soon.

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

⬆️

He played really well yesterday and rubbed my nose it, but I was hoping it was a makeshift selection due to injuries etc, but it doesn't appear so as Holden selected him over some career midfielders.

I get that his energy is remarkable and that he'll keep going till the final whistle, even scoring in added time yesterday for example, but for me he lacks composure in a crowded midfield and everything is 100mph. Just slow down slightly Andi and the ball won't run away from you or get caught under your feet, or you rush a pass which goes astray. To me, he looks what he is in midfield - a forward. 

But as long as its working, its fine and yesterday it worked very well with him in midfield (for the first time imo).

It'll be interesting to see what happens once Morrell, Walsh, and Williams are available, never mind Palmer, Nagy, or Massengo. There'll be a lot of knocking on DHs door soon.

The 100mph stuff is something I said both Brownhill and O’Dowda needed to resolve to become better players.  There were many occasions where Josh would give and go but then waste the final pass or shot.  He improved that last season, and as a result, with his other attributes, is now a PL player.  Callum needs to do the same, he too has some exciting attributes.  Andi too...although he took his goal well.

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

⬆️

Good post

He wouldnt be my first thought in a 3 man midfield but Dean is picking him because he wants his 'plusses' / there - would be interesting to hear Dean on it

@Davefevs has made the point prevviously that we can all get hung up on what a 'conventional' midfielder is, and hes right

Ultimately itsa team game and forming together a conjusive jigsaw 

As much of  an appreciator of AW I wouldn't expect him there when everyone is fit, nut will be interesting to see what Dean does

FWIW , whatever his form AW would be in my matchday 18 every week - you know what he will give you and will do whatever role or position you ask for you

His running also stretches and disrupts the opposition an pace makes sides defend deeper and allows other space

47 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I don’t disagree but think it is highlighted more as a midfielder than it does at striker. I don’t dislike Andi Weimann and tbf he had a much better second half imo. I am just not sure I can be convinced that him in that position helps us become a playoff side. 

And as far as composure I get he would not be here but I do expect a bit more in that regard as someone who has played at a higher level. He didn’t just have a quick spell he has over 100 appearances so I’d like that quality to come through more than it does.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The 100mph stuff is something I said both Brownhill and O’Dowda needed to resolve to become better players.  There were many occasions where Josh would give and go but then waste the final pass or shot.  He improved that last season, and as a result, with his other attributes, is now a PL player.  Callum needs to do the same, he too has some exciting attributes.  Andi too...although he took his goal well.

Took his goal like a striker - nice and composed in front of goal.

Seen him do that numerous times, but in midfield he seems to lose that composure. 

He'd be in my match day squad every game and get a load of starts, he's more than capable of dragging defenders all over the shop, but I'm still not sold on him being in midfield. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t disagree but think it is highlighted more as a midfielder than it does at striker. I don’t dislike Andi Weimann and tbf he had a much better second half imo. I am just not sure I can be convinced that him in that position helps us become a playoff side. 

See my post above - I wouldnt argue

And as far as composure I get he would not be here but I do expect a bit more in that regard as someone who has played at a higher level. He didn’t just have a quick spell he has over 100 appearances so I’d like that quality to come through more than it does.

I think his athleticism , pace and sheer hard work got him that chance Joe

I don't think he's a 'natural' - but has worked bloody hard to achieve what he has - you can improve touch and composure but not completely master without them being natural too

I admire that he gives the same efforts for us as he did when he was trying to get to or make it in the prem early in his career

Archived