IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

It is well written (you’d expect nothing less with Winter) & Barton tries to make a case for his behaviour (he’s had plenty of practice) but it’s weird he comes from a “broken home” but that it was his Dad coming round when he had suicidal thoughts..

The stuff with Wael & Gorringe is nauseating shit, anyone who thinks South Bristol isn’t the working class part of the city isn’t from here (neither of them are).

The people’s club, family club, huge away support stuff is their myth they love to cling to.

Barton isn’t so “working class” that he won’t employ extortionately paid lawyers to keep him out of jail, either.

No mention here either of a Chief Scout once charged with the murder of a policeman or an assistant manager currently charged with making homophobic comments to the opposition & with a previous offence of betting on matches he played in.

Proper “family club” behaviour.

Agree on all points GC, However they are winning and on a bit of a high at the moment. I hope it is short lived 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Might need to notify the people about this because more than twice as many of them keep accidentally going to Bristol City games

The people's club thing translates as "we're utterly crap in every respect compared to our local rivals so we'll claim to be more authentic to make ourselves feel better".

See also Everton.

• Like 13

Gorringe is clearly a right ****. Was on an episode of Bristol Unpacked and spouts so much shit, couldn’t answer the question of Barton fitting in with their club ethos and ‘family values’

As @Kid in the Riot mentioned the other day, they love pumping the narrative of being this plucky underdog, but they aren’t in that division. If this was Yeovil in their promotion to the championship season, I’d totally get it. But they aren’t. 

Remember my last couple of visits, by then those crush barriers had certainly seen better days, I had no confidence at all that they were safe & the bit you walked through to get to the turnstiles resembled an obstacle course, full of rubble, divots & huge puddles.

For the very last one I stood on the side where the burned down stand used to be, easy to get on the pitch when Steve Neville scored, as a far few of us discovered.

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I’m trying to remember what they did after the stand to the left burnt down. Was it just left empty? 
All I can remember of the place was not being able to see anything as soon as the wind picked up, leaving you with sand in your eyes. 

Yep, nothing there at all.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Answers above. I'm glass half full.

Me too: but if we lose today then the ‘unbeaten in xx’ goes out the window, and that’s the ‘half full’ side of the equation! 

Seriously, I think the past few years tells us that confidence is a huge factor, and also that we are prone to allowing home form to become that monkey.

But I don’t want to argue the detail - as I said, I’m not disagreeing that, in a literal sense we don’t need a win. And we could lose and end up no worse off (except Birmingham themselves would be moving clear of is). 

But I still think that if we don’t get a win out of today or next week then we’ll be in real trouble. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was actually thinking I could have taken a similar picture from the back of the old Open End in the 80's.:(

To be fair we had by then suffered 3 consecutive relegations, I'm not sure what our lowest gate ever for a league match was but I can safely say I was probably there I reckon we still made as much noise as crowds much larger (or is that rose tinted specs).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Nice work; enjoyed reading it. 

It highlights the dilemma that is NP and his spell here - as you say it can be spun several ways.

Interesting to read @Davefevs s response to - feels a bit like that’s a response from someone who spins it one way (the “Nige” camp) - and makes that case really well too. Although have to say Dave, it’s stretching it a bit to count Idehen as one of those who’s come through the academy? 

It would be interesting to see a similar response from someone spinning it the other way - I’m not offering though! 

Re Idehen - yeah, how do you classify a player signed into the Academy (by Tins), who just happened to progress quickly / get given a chance to show what he can do?  That’s a genuine question btw, not a sarcastic one! ?

At the time he signed, he went into my Academy spreadsheet…then moved across as he started to get around the match day squad.

I’m happy to accept its 9.

We might have a similar debate with Ewan Clark if he gets into the first team.  Idehen’s rise was pretty rapid though.  His decline almost as quick! ?

Why is this in the Rovers thread?

13 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Neither team appears to be wearing quartered rags. Maybe it was an international match? Did England ever play there??? ?????

Rovers haven’t always worn their world famous quarters. There was a period in the 60s when they had stripes or all blue kit 

362B3335-8A08-4739-A89B-45E54061A425.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firstdivision said:

We are crying out for a modern stadium,” al-Qadi says. “What we have now [the Memorial Stadium] is an old, dilapidated rugby stadium. Bristol Rovers are like the Boca Juniors of Bristol, the first club of Bristol — five generations of fans come to games and it’s truly great to have. This my passion, my love.”

Well, stick your hand in your f’ing pocket and get the stadium built if it’s your ‘passion’ and ‘love’ and stop whining about needing a new stadium when the facts clearly suggest the stadium is big enough to cater for the ‘five generations of fans’

You are no different to every other lower league club who wants a new stadium/better facilities….there are no handouts, you had your best chance at UWE and you blew it.

Bristol Rovers….Always the victim, always on the scrounge. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re Idehen - yeah, how do you classify a player signed into the Academy (by Tins), who just happened to progress quickly / get given a chance to show what he can do?  That’s a genuine question btw, not a sarcastic one! ?

At the time he signed, he went into my Academy spreadsheet…then moved across as he started to get around the match day squad.

I’m happy to accept its 9.

We might have a similar debate with Ewan Clark if he gets into the first team.  Idehen’s rise was pretty rapid though.  His decline almost as quick! ?

Why is this in the Rovers thread?

Not sure I have the answer to either question ?

I guess the first one is just subjective/length of time, but wouldn’t know how you define that. Idehen certainly was at one extreme: signed Jan, into the squad Feb, starting XI April. I think you can safely say that we might have sprinkled a few hundreds and thousands, but we certainly didn’t bake the cake or even do the icing! 

Just out of interest (and pre-NP) - was Massengo the same? He was only 17, so clearly younger than a lot of academy players at the time - but it always felt like he was bought as a player already close to the starting XI - and again it didn’t take long.

Why is this on the Rovers thread? - baffles me too!!

Edited by italian dave

33 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I remember the days when those terraces were rammed every week.

Crump, Gresham, Langli and the rest. Great team, the Bulldogs.

Friday nights in 77/78 at the Bulldogs. Absolutely loved it as a young en. Great nights out, and as you rightly say, bigger crowds than the Gas.

Just a shame there is literally no footage available to the public, apart from the well known Bob Coles crash that made the World if Sport.

There must be loads of it stashed away in the local BBC and HTV vaults.

There are loads of images from there though on this link. You just need to flick left or right on the images to see them all.

GGBSS 029 1977 Bristol Bulldogs Speedway start up

• Like 2

3 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Gorringe moved from Brighton & Hove Albion because he could see Rovers’ potential. “If you look at the city, we are the people’s club of Bristol, hard-working, give everything you’ve got, a community club, authentic, unbelievable fans,” 

Can't argue with the "unbelievable fans" bit.

Only a fool would believe anything they say.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Friday nights in 77/78 at the Bulldogs. Absolutely loved it as a young en. Great nights out, and as you rightly say, bigger crowds than the Gas.

Just a shame there is literally no footage available to the public, apart from the well known Bob Coles crash that made the World if Sport.

There must be loads of it stashed away in the local BBC and HTV vaults.

There are loads of images from there though on this link. You just need to flick left or right on the images to see them all.

GGBSS 029 1977 Bristol Bulldogs Speedway start up

I Remember that Eastville had a covenant on it that it could only be used for sporting purposes. 
Bristol City Council allowed IKEA and were supposed to be providing a facility for speedway and dog racing….. whatever happened? I’m no still waiting!!! 

Just now, Mendip City said:

I Remember that Eastville had a covenant on it that it could only be used for sporting purposes. 
Bristol City Council allowed IKEA and were supposed to be providing a facility for speedway and dog racing….. whatever happened? I’m no still waiting!!! 

It's pretty much the same for all Speedway Clubs across the country.

It's a dieing sport. 

Promotors very rarely invested in their own stadiums and often rented. 

Plus the nimby's don't like the noise. Instead they end up with a new housing estate or the likes of IKEA. 

Swindon, Newport, Somerset...all shut now. There is no Speedway for miles now. I think Poole is now the nearest.

Sad really...it was the second highest attended sport for many years.

Re the Gas kits...all can be seen here.

It's a great resource for all British clubs kits through history, including our own.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_Rovers/Bristol_Rovers.htm

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Remember my last couple of visits, by then those crush barriers had certainly seen better days, I had no confidence at all that they were safe & the bit you walked through to get to the turnstiles resembled an obstacle course, full of rubble, divots & huge puddles.

For the very last one I stood on the side where the burned down stand used to be, easy to get on the pitch when Steve Neville scored, as a far few of us discovered.

Yep, nothing there at all.

Was there too at that game, somwere around the halfway line if I remember rightly.

We talk about the Mem being bad, but that place really was a total stain on the Bristol landscape.