IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not much is known about him & Google doesn't seem to know who he is either....

Doesn't seem odd atall..!

As others have said, Wael was quite easy to find out about. This bloke , not so much. I found one link which had Hussain Al Saeed as General Manager of a bank. 
Hard to know what's what, the Post has been like the advertising or promotional wing of the Squatters for years. They would Print any old shit that Wael sends their way as Gospel. 
We all remember "Billionaire with the nice watch" don't we.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

So yeah.. they'd buy any number of PL or Champ clubs.. but no.... 

Why would anybody want to look elsewhere after witnessing this?!

"Little is known about Al Saeed, and this is believed to be his first venture in European football, but he was present at the pre-season friendly against Eastleigh at Silverlake Stadium"

• Haha 1

So, let me catch up here…

a) Investor is a Kuwaiti

b) Kuwait is a rich country, (there are no non zillionaires in Kuwait after all). so

c) Investor HAS to be mega wealthy, and

d) Will be happy to splurge his kid’s inheritance on the South Gloucestershire Go Outdoors discount outlet. 

Have I got that right?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

The mind of a Sag

Ok let me rephrase - is there anything with the standard number of fingers and toes that connects the investor with the Sovereign Wealth fund?

If he was important enough to have access to said fund he would not be "anonymous" online.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cityal said:

Ok let me rephrase - is there anything with the standard number of fingers and toes that connects the investor with the Sovereign Wealth fund?

If he was important enough to have access to said fund he would not be "anonymous" online.

He would also not be shopping in League 1! There's plenty of clubs in the top division who would happily take Kuwait's SW fund as investor.

56 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

So, let me catch up here…

a) Investor is a Kuwaiti

b) Kuwait is a rich country, (there are no non zillionaires in Kuwait after all). so

c) Investor HAS to be mega wealthy, and

d) Will be happy to splurge his kid’s inheritance on the South Gloucestershire Go Outdoors discount outlet. 

Have I got that right?

Bullseye, Southport. ‘The Story So Far’ in 4 brief lines. Good work;  have the rest of the day off. Tell ‘em I said so.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Couple of questions. Does simply being Kuwaiti mean you can spend their wealth fund as you see fit? If so, I’m searching my family tree for Kuwaiti relatives.

Everyone in finance knows the biggest sovereign wealth fund belongs to Norway. But they’re too sensible to invest in football 

Edited by Scrumpty
  • Like 1

For every Middle Eastern Owner success story, there are 3-4 absolute disasters.

Who knows what will happen with this potential new owner, but the Jordanian Billionaire that took them over in 2016 and is still currently in charge has hardly moved them forward at all has he?

I think any new ownership comes with it's own inherent set of risks. The proof will be in the pudding of course. Any decent owner with financial acumen will look at the current Fruit market deal on offer as a complete fools gold. 

They would look to either develop the Memorial Ground (probably by turning the pitch 180 degrees, or given the complete nightmare of getting planning permission look to get planning permission for housing (just like Lansdown has done in order to fund the Sports Village), and then use those funds to build a stadium for them that A) They will own themselves and B) Will provide them with an income stream that will make them a viable football club in the future.

If this new Kuwait guy just looks to carry on the Fruit market deal, it will demonstrate to me that like Wael they really don't have the independent financial resources to broker a better deal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

For every Middle Eastern Owner success story, there are 3-4 absolute disasters.

Who knows what will happen with this potential new owner, but the Jordanian Billionaire that took them over in 2016 and is still currently in charge has hardly moved them forward at all has he?

I think any new ownership comes with it's own inherent set of risks. The proof will be in the pudding of course. Any decent owner with financial acumen will look at the current Fruit market deal on offer as a complete fools gold. 

They would look to either develop the Memorial Ground (probably by turning the pitch 180 degrees, or given the complete nightmare of getting planning permission look to get planning permission for housing (just like Lansdown has done in order to fund the Sports Village), and then use those funds to build a stadium for them that A) They will own themselves and B) Will provide them with an income stream that will make them a viable football club in the future.

If this new Kuwait guy just looks to carry on the Fruit market deal, it will demonstrate to me that like Wael they really don't have the independent financial resources to broker a better deal.

If there’s one club which would tell their supporters they’ve improved the ground by rotating the pitch by 180 degrees, it’d be them! ? 

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

That would still require the blue few to actually turn up in the sort of numbers that they have not witnessed for over 70 years!!

Bear in mind, at championship level, our average gates of over 20K are not really "sustainable" without a benefactor. I see no fundamental or structural reason why they would be better off in this regard, even if they were located at the fruit market.

They may claim support equal or better to ours but many years of evidence does not back this up. 

22 minutes ago, cityal said:

That would still require the blue few to actually turn up in the sort of numbers that they have not witnessed for over 70 years!!

Bear in mind, at championship level, our average gates of over 20K are not really "sustainable" without a benefactor. I see no fundamental or structural reason why they would be better off in this regard, even if they were located at the fruit market.

They may claim support equal or better to ours but many years of evidence does not back this up. 

Oh, absolutely they are a tin pot club on every level.

The problem we have over our sustainability is our massive operating costs that never seem to be broken down. As @Mr Popodopolous and @Davefevs have spoken about in the past why our operating costs are £25m, when our turnover is only £26m (even before we factor in playing budgets) is beyond me. Other clubs in the championship operate on a much lower cost base. However until the club breaks down where that £25m is spent we can never take an informed stance.

in the meantime, City have their biggest average attendances in over 40 years, but still lose £20m+ per season.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Oh, absolutely they are a tin pot club on every level.

The problem we have over our sustainability is our massive operating costs that never seem to be broken down. As @Mr Popodopolous and @Davefevs have spoken about in the past why our operating costs are £25m, when our turnover is only £26m (even before we factor in playing budgets) is beyond me. Other clubs in the championship operate on a much lower cost base. However until the club breaks down where that £25m is spent we can never take an informed stance.

in the meantime, City have their biggest average attendances in over 40 years, but still lose £20m+ per season.

Not uncommon in the Championship.

We could get certain non football costs down sure but the costs of staging events especially post Covid definitely will have gone up too.

Similarly unlike some clubs we have certain costs. Depreciation and academy with recently developed infrastructure- I reckon our excluded FFP costs are abour £7m per season. Swings and roundabouts in some ways.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous