IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

• Admin
15 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

It is interesting( and slightly depressing for me) that City are now getting these sort of crowds. I've been watching Rovers for around 50 years and if we are saying the gap in attendances is around 10k in terms of home support, I think  that would be the biggest gap I've known. In terms of league position , we aren't that different from where we have been for much of that period. The one obvious difference now is that you have , in effect, a new stadium. As much as many of us- myself included- like an old school ground, it does seem that the rebuild of Ashton Gate  allied  maybe with the professionalism and drive of Steve Lansdown have had an incredible effect on attendances.

It could be worse...

Just imagine if our women's team got over 12k for a game and were on for an even higher crowd for their next home game 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I have no hatred for rovers personally. I don't even see them as rivals anymore. Cardiff are bigger rivals imo. I would not be disappointed if they appointed Nige. It would be the best thing for them to do. I would also wish him success until the point we are at the same level as them. 

If city drew rovers in the Cup  vs Cardiff in the league what match are you trying harder to get tickets for?

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

10 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I have no hatred for rovers personally. I don't even see them as rivals anymore. Cardiff are bigger rivals imo. I would not be disappointed if they appointed Nige. It would be the best thing for them to do. I would also wish him success until the point we are at the same level as them. 

Must be an age thing if you think Cardiff is a bigger rivalry than the Gas

I still see Swindon as bigger rivals than Cardiff 

• Like 9
  • Robin 1

10 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I can't stand them and I would be absolutely gutted if NP racked up there not that I think for a minute he would.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

10 hours ago, phantom said:

Personally hope they get relegated and disappear off the map 

Their a blot on the City of Bristol than bring nothing to the table 

They're never going appoint Pearson, this is as hilarious as those who'd convinced themselves Lampard was in the running for our position 

I think you need a lie down in a dark room :laugh:

I will if it happens.

Might need a topic on its own but the new version of Bristol Monopoly has Ashton Gate as the second most expensive (Park Lane) spot and has Bristol Manor Farm as the second and only other football square! 😂

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/news-opinion/bristol-monopoly-design-shows-its-8898368?fbclid=IwAR3F-PVjq52xKTIinS9qQA9YgyL08fiLunLxnyyd0hrbjHKIGpfErLc9Pn8_aem_AYxZDBvfr3KFD7ohEjbjAVHdUBU8UY7JpYrQPBU41nyoCaGQITTgqWG2SiHAN6wxb64#loyqt3zdkaxwh3kuv7s

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QuedgeRed said:

Might need a topic on its own but the new version of Bristol Monopoly has Ashton Gate as the second most expensive (Park Lane) spot and has Bristol Manor Farm as the second and only other football square! 😂

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/news-opinion/bristol-monopoly-design-shows-its-8898368?fbclid=IwAR3F-PVjq52xKTIinS9qQA9YgyL08fiLunLxnyyd0hrbjHKIGpfErLc9Pn8_aem_AYxZDBvfr3KFD7ohEjbjAVHdUBU8UY7JpYrQPBU41nyoCaGQITTgqWG2SiHAN6wxb64#loyqt3zdkaxwh3kuv7s

There was a thread on it.

However, fully appreciate that with it being on page 5, and a lot of folk having far, far better things to do than read OTIB, it is easily missed!

On 14/11/2023 at 03:57, robinforlife2 said:

Cardiff will never be bigger rivals.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

22 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'd expect he wants to get his health sorted out before he contemplates his future in football.  

I’m sure he does.

Seeing as his last two jobs were in the Prem with Watford & then us I’d be very surprised if he was remotely interested in anything at League One level, let alone a middle ranking club there.

He had a property in Devon when he joined us, plus one in Sheffield, so he certainly isn’t desperate for the money & with obviously so many varied interests if the right opportunity doesn’t crop up then I think he’ll retire.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’m sure he does.

Seeing as his last two jobs were in the Prem with Watford & then us I’d be very surprised if he was remotely interested in anything at League One level, let alone a middle ranking club there.

He had a property in Devon when he joined us, plus one in Sheffield, so he certainly isn’t desperate for the money & with obviously so many varied interests if the right opportunity doesn’t crop up then I think he’ll retire.

I have said previously that I find it uncomfortable watching older managers getting stressed on the touchline so, personally, I hope he considers retirement.

I would rather he settle in the west country and assist/adopt a local non league club as a type of hobby than go into L1/L2 which seems a battle ground and a backward step with the same pressure as before but with less support.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, QuedgeRed said:

and has Bristol Manor Farm as the second and only other football square! 😂

When those Alexa devices came out. It was posted on here and I found it was the same with mine.

"Alexa; how many teams are there in Bristol"?

I know of only one Bristol and that is Bristol City FC.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Cardiff will never be bigger rivals.

I have to be pedantic , or at least as far as I take "rival" to mean.

Dictionary definition : a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

Cardiff have been our rival off and on for a while, that other lot not for about 20 years. 
While my hatred is still strong, it is always an afterthought when thinking of those few. I rarely know or check their results, a team in our own division comes up more regularly.

Maybe just me ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I have to be pedantic , or at least as far as I take "rival" to mean.

Dictionary definition : a person or thing competing with another for the same objective or for superiority in the same field of activity.

Cardiff have been our rival off and on for a while, that other lot not for about 20 years. 
While my hatred is still strong, it is always an afterthought when thinking of those few. I rarely know or check their results, a team in our own division comes up more regularly.

Maybe just me ?

Each to their own. I have little interest in Cardiff not even bothered about the result. Even the games against each other are boring with little atmosphere.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Super said:

Each to their own. I have little interest in Cardiff not even bothered about the result. Even the games against each other are boring with little atmosphere.

I've little time for Cardiff but that pales into insignificance where the gas are concerned. I despise everything about that crappy little club!

Surely it's a generation thing as we never play them anymore but the feeling before a Bristol Derby is both incredible and horrible.

• Like 13
  • Robin 1

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

I've little time for Cardiff but that pales into insignificance where the gas are concerned. I despise everything about that crappy little club!

Surely it's a generation thing as we never play them anymore but the feeling before a Bristol Derby is both incredible and horrible.

That was my point I tried to make replying to @Super , I hate every thing about them and hope we never play them again. But I don't consider them a rival.  IMO Cardiff are a rival as we play them regularly, hate them too mind , just not (quite) as much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Only took 6 weeks to get permission….. that must be what, 8 months quicker than anything else will get permission on average?

Yet I’m sure they’ll still play the victim, City get everything from the council, bla bla bla 

Having been a member of the Architectural profession throughout my working life and having to wait for planning permission for NHS and School projects, I find this absolutely appalling.

Shame on them!!!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Thinking back to the early 70s, Cardiff was the main game of the season producing the largest crowd of the season. Rovers were not rivals, they just pottered along in a lower division. We were better because of that fact.They then got promoted in 74 and we then knew we were better by beating them. Cardiff was still the harder game to win.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

Thinking back to the early 70s, Cardiff was the main game of the season producing the largest crowd of the season. Rovers were not rivals, they just pottered along in a lower division. We were better because of that fact.They then got promoted in 74 and we then knew we were better by beating them. Cardiff was still the harder game to win.

Cardiff was probably the 2nd or 3rd game I went to, and for some reason we thought the open end would be a good idea. Carnage with about 100 arrests , not bad in 1970/71. Always a real game against Cardiff.