IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

16 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

More importantly most of the people who support Rovers do so through love, family tradition or supporting the team that plays in their community..”

How the **** is that any different to us? 🤣

We don’t have bigger crowds because our fans are toilet trained and manage not to shit all over the floor like they clearly do at the Mem, we have bigger crowds because our fans purchase 15k STs every season no matter how mediocre the previous season was.

That’s called passion.

They should try it sometime instead of constantly making excuses about why they can’t fill their little stadium.

I think the thing with Rovers is they have a massive inferiority complex about us. We have been in a higher division for 23 years, with better facilities and almost 3 x times their crowds.

As such they constantly try to drag out some element of individually that potentially makes them relevant to the City of Bristol.  Hence why on any given statistic they don't rate themselves in relation to the other clubs in L1, it has to be against us; as if we are a club that they should be rating themselves against ( i think our turnover is almost 500% more than them year on year alone).

It's almost like that younger brother that is somewhat in awe of his older sibling and feels that he has to prove himself all of the time. It's getting really really pathetic now isn't it? "Our passion, is bigger than your passion etc etc", "people like us more than you blah blah blah". Even when their new manager took over, it was "We have the potential to be the biggest club in the city".. err ok?

Everytime they get taken over, their only hope is not to get up a division or get into the Premier league, it's to be bigger and better than us. I wish they would realise now that the vast majority of us consider them completely irrelevant to our future hopes and aspirations as a football club.

I only delight in their constant ability to completely cluster every decision/plan that they have. Leading to them having a non-league stadium and 14 OOC or loanees going at the end of the season and having to start the whole process over again.

• Like 4
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

55 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

I think the thing with Rovers is they have a massive inferiority complex about us. We have been in a higher division for 23 years, with better facilities and almost 3 x times their crowds.

As such they constantly try to drag out some element of individually that potentially makes them relevant to the City of Bristol.  Hence why on any given statistic they don't rate themselves in relation to the other clubs in L1, it has to be against us; as if we are a club that they should be rating themselves against ( i think our turnover is almost 500% more than them year on year alone).

It's almost like that younger brother that is somewhat in awe of his older sibling and feels that he has to prove himself all of the time. It's getting really really pathetic now isn't it? "Our passion, is bigger than your passion etc etc", "people like us more than you blah blah blah". Even when their new manager took over, it was "We have the potential to be the biggest club in the city".. err ok?

Everytime they get taken over, their only hope is not to get up a division or get into the Premier league, it's to be bigger and better than us. I wish they would realise now that the vast majority of us consider them completely irrelevant to our future hopes and aspirations as a football club.

I only delight in their constant ability to completely cluster every decision/plan that they have. Leading to them having a non-league stadium and 14 OOC or loanees going at the end of the season and having to start the whole process over again.

Are Notts County fans or Port Vales so ******* moronic anyone know?

Appreciate  Forest and Stoke have better histories than us but..

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Maybe they’ll go through a goth phase and come out normal on the other side? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JBFC II said:

8 years since Wael took over. 

This is what he said at the time: 'When we purchased the club we knew about the stadium issue but we know a new stadium is a requirement. This club needs a new stadium.'

8 years on and they've built a stand with pillars and a few tents, slow progress I guess!

These things take time 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

If visiting from the US he must have been pretty horrified by the overall experience. Apart from the actual game, they enjoy the social aspect at their sports - plenty of quality BBQ style food, good beer, a nice seat with a good view. See anything that might have been missing?

I refuse to believe any of this on the count you put quality food and good beer in a sentence with America in it!

• Haha 1

Just read one of the Bristol Post's Rovers articles, it's actually "18" not "14" either OOC or returning to their parent clubs.

When are they going to realise that they need to set up a proper Academy and at the very least a Under 21 team that will provide players for their future 1st team.

Using us as an example (something they are very keen to do constantly), where would we have been over the last 4 seasons without the Academy players during a period of enforced austerity? I dare say, it would have been L1...

Without a firm foundation to the club (through an Academy) their policy of short term contracts and journeymen is doomed to failure in L1. It works in L2, where money pretty much guarantees promotion (with 4 going up). It certainly doesn't work the higher up you go in the football pyramid where a need for continuity and development is more essential. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Just read one of the Bristol Post's Rovers articles, it's actually "18" not "14" either OOC or returning to their parent clubs.

When are they going to realise that they need to set up a proper Academy and at the very least a Under 21 team that will provide players for their future 1st team.

Using us as an example (something they are very keen to do constantly), where would we have been over the last 4 seasons without the Academy players during a period of enforced austerity? I dare say, it would have been L1...

Without a firm foundation to the club (through an Academy) their policy of short term contracts and journeymen is doomed to failure in L1. It works in L2, where money pretty much guarantees promotion (with 4 going up). It certainly doesn't work the higher up you go in the football pyramid where a need for continuity and development is more essential. 

We are their Academy. It’s just that the gestation period is longer. They have to wait until one of our former players is in his mid-thirties, well settled in the local area, before they harvest. I wouldn’t mind betting that, sometime before he hangs up his boots, Marlon is offered a contract there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

We are their Academy. It’s just that the gestation period is longer. They have to wait until one of our former players is in his mid-thirties, well settled in the local area, before they harvest. I wouldn’t mind betting that, sometime before he hangs up his boots, Marlon is offered a contract there. 

Won't surprise me at all if that happens.

33 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Let’s face it, like Chris Martin he’d be a country mile better than the rest of their squad if it happened.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Ah, I remember coming back from an away game at Blackpool on a "private" coach, when the result came on the radio the whole coach started singing.........Purple Haze  !

A November game in the 72-73 season; I was at Blackpool too that day. Because the Hayes floodlights weren't quite good enough, that game had a 2.30 kickoff, so finished before ours. It confused the Blackpool fans when we started cheering with 30 mins of our game to go.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

30 minutes ago, 22A said:

A November game in the 72-73 season; I was at Blackpool too that day. Because the Hayes floodlights weren't quite good enough, that game had a 2.30 kickoff, so finished before ours. It confused the Blackpool fans when we started cheering with 30 mins of our game to go.

You've got some memory, i remember going to Blackpool in April '76 the same day Red Rum finished second to Rag Trade in the Grand National, Man U beat Derby in the FA cup semi final 2-0 and Cambridge won the boat race 🙂. I think Cashley let another one go through his legs as well !!!    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

You've got some memory, i remember going to Blackpool in April '76 the same day Red Rum finished second to Rag Trade in the Grand National, Man U beat Derby in the FA cup semi final 2-0 and Cambridge won the boat race 🙂. I think Cashley let another one go through his legs as well !!!    

Also Brotherhood of Man's Save all Your Kisses for Me won the Eurovision Song Contest,  a van load of us watched it in a pub in Wigan on the way back 😃

1 minute ago, southside said:

Also Brotherhood of Man's Save all Your Kisses for Me won the Eurovision Song Contest,  a van load of us watched it in a pub in Wigan on the way back 😃

Haha, must of been the highlight of the day being as we lost, i remember as a 12 year old singing to the Blackpool fans "Back to school on Monday" 😃

4 hours ago, TV Tom said:

No, no I'm not having that, he flapped and it went over his head !

5 hours ago, 22A said:

I think that was the game we lost 3-0 ?  Our coach was late arriving and we were 2 nil down before we got in the ground, kinda takes the edge off things !

38 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I think that was the game we lost 3-0 ?  Our coach was late arriving and we were 2 nil down before we got in the ground, kinda takes the edge off things !

A Blackpool fan standing behind a goal lobbed a brick towards us. Blackjack (remember him?) "returned the goods to their rightful owner" and got three months.

• Like 3