IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

10 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

Matty Taylor's replacement has reached a milestone 50 games for the 15ers.

And scored one goal. 

Yes, one. 

A 'striker' that has scored one goal in fifty appearances ?

Screenshot_20181009-221246~2.png

He cost more than Taylor. Says it all for a striker that he has more yellow cards than goals over 50 games :facepalm:

Edited by Super
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, 22A said:

Today's giggle; http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/13036/new-stands?page=19 ipgas posted

It is for me because I have watched 50 years of mediocraty. I have seen Rovers in the Championship, Div 1, and 2 and non league, but mostly half way up Division One, or div 3 as it was. I want something better, I want us to have crowds of 20k+ like we did when I was a kid. If we had not have sold Eastville, I have no doubt that we would be the bigger of the 2 Bristol clubs. But that is history, and since then every ground we have been at has been crap, and the Mem is no different. I want to be a gashead watching a reasonable team in the Championship, not floundering around in the lower half of league one, because our sh**ty ground can only provide funds enough to do that. Meanwhile even some non league clubs have better grounds. Bloody angry to think some of you have no ambition for the club

as far as I'm aware our Gas Headed friends didnt own Eastvillle. Eastville was the property of the Bristol Stadium Company...are they trying to convince someone they sold a ground they didnt actually own?

31 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

as far as I'm aware our Gas Headed friends didnt own Eastvillle. Eastville was the property of the Bristol Stadium Company...are they trying to convince someone they sold a ground they didnt actually own?

They sold it to the Stadium Company I believe, although advised not by Harry Dolman who was considering joining their board.

But it wouldn't surprise me if they sold something they didn't own.

14 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

1,179. But this is the competition that needs to be boycotted until Under 23 teams are removed, so they should be applauded not mocked for the pitiful turnout.

BMF lost 4-0 in the end but had over 500 there.

14 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Quite agree.

The eleven hundred are doing a disservice. Get the idea of why they might want to go, but take in a development game or a reserve game instead.

Hats off to the stay always.

4 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

100% agree and fair play to everyone that stayed away.  It's a shame the crowd wasn't zero.

Yes it would be most laudable if that was the reason, but is it an organised boycott by their fans or apathy. I also have to ask why, if it is a boycott, they seem to have extended it to their league games. :) 

11 minutes ago, Unan said:

Someone asked me for a summary of Bristol Rovers finances this morning, but I can't find the tweet, so I've gathered the figures for the five years 2013-17. Any questions, I'm happy to answer them

DpFmV_wW4AAuBFf?format=jpg&name=orig

Am I reading this correctly, in that they borrowed 1.3mil in 2017 but made no repayments on previous loans?

43 minutes ago, Unan said:

Someone asked me for a summary of Bristol Rovers finances this morning, but I can't find the tweet, so I've gathered the figures for the five years 2013-17. Any questions, I'm happy to answer them

DpFmV_wW4AAuBFf?format=jpg&name=orig

League One FFP... can't imagine this is enforced anywhere (unless I have misunderstood), Rovers get strong gates and pay pennies but wages to turnover is still in the 80% area.

Don't imagine their wages are higher than clubs with far lower attendances.

Starting from the 2012–13 season, a Financial Fair Play arrangement has been in place in all 3 divisions of the Football League, the intention being eventually to produce a league of financially self-sustaining clubs. In League One, this takes the form of a Salary Cost Management Protocol in which a maximum of 60% of a club's turnover may be spent on players' wages, with sanctions being applied in the form of transfer embargoes.

23 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

No wonder they hired a new commercial director at the end of 2017. They made 20% less on commercial activity after they returned to the league. 

With a huge rise in losses not being reflected in significant increases in income and expenditure, it makes you wonder where all the money is going?

That was probably the year they didn't show Home Alone in the car park and the crisps were out of date. Would explain such a drop in revenue.

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

What a load of shite this article is - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-how-attractive-bristol-rovers-2094981

Did they forget the £12m charge against the men?

If @Mr Popodopolous is correct about Kieran Maguire's excellence then they have very much caught him on an off day; maybe he'd just woken up.

"Or am I getting some bricks and mortar with this as well which I think you are with Bristol Rovers and that will have an impact on the price.

This is a guess right?  One delapidated stadium mortgaged to the hilt for its land value.

“I am aware of a number of clubs which are up for sale in all four top divisions in English football, and something going for them is Bristol Rovers are run reasonably competently and that would be a benefit for anyone who takes over because some clubs are just car crashes and they don’t have any proper management in terms of a budget and a plan and organisation.

“From an outsider’s point of view that doesn’t seem to apply to Bristol Rovers.

Eh?

Operating loss has pretty much quadrupled from £600k - £700k per year to £2.7m and then add £0.3m interest in 2017.  I suppose you could call it "proper management" rather than a absolute shambles but you'd be in a minority with that view.

My suggestion Kieran, next time you get a call from the Post about Bristol Rovers' finances, is that you say you will call them back when you have had a look rather than guessing and hoping that you successfully wing it; because you haven't.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

If @Mr Popodopolous is correct about Kieran Maguire's excellence then they have very much caught him on an off day; maybe he'd just woken up.

This is a guess right?  One delapidated stadium mortgaged to the hilt for its land value.

Eh?

Operating loss has pretty much quadrupled from £600k - £700k per year to £2.7m and then add £0.3m interest in 2017.  I suppose you could call it "proper management" rather than a absolute shambles but you'd be in a minority with that view.

My suggestion Kieran, next time you get a call from the Post about Bristol Rovers' finances, is that you say you will call them back when you have had a look rather than guessing and hoping that you successfully wing it; because you haven't.

Potentially he wrote it in a hurry.

His analysis of many clubs is fairly on point tbh- Operating Loss increase he has put down to potentially the expenditure on UWE- non-recurring Expenditure seems to be a decent chunk of it.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Potentially he wrote it in a hurry.

His analysis of many clubs is fairly on point tbh- Operating Loss increase he has put down to potentially the expenditure on UWE- non-recurring Expenditure seems to be a decent chunk of it.

Fair enough, I don't know from where he obtained his figures though.

The main company Bristol Rovers 1883 (bless) accounts, into which the other accounts consolidate, give:

Headline loss £3,046k

Note 7: Impairment of tangible fixed assets (UWE write off, this is the non-recurring cost) £916k

Ongoing loss £2,130k

Headline loss £2,942k

Note 7: Impairment of tangible fixed assets (UWE write off, this is the non-recurring cost) £2,339k

Ongoing loss £603k

Companies' House website for BRFC 1883

Companies' House accounts - PDF

5 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

The Rovers really did own Eastville. Harry Dolman had two season tickets there and was invited to join the Rovers board. he attended one meeting as an Observer. The sale and lease back of Eastville was being discussed. HD stood up and declared that to sell it's ground was a retrograde step. He was told with thinking like that he'd be better off at City; and the rest is history! :city:

It has been alleged that after the sale, the Rovers Directors car park was soon bristling with Rolls Royces, but the team was never strengthened. I wonder what happened to the money from the sale? ?

• Like 1

On 09/10/2018 at 13:40, 22A said:

Today's giggle; http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/13036/new-stands?page=19 ipgas posted

It is for me because I have watched 50 years of mediocraty. I have seen Rovers in the Championship, Div 1, and 2 and non league, but mostly half way up Division One, or div 3 as it was. I want something better, I want us to have crowds of 20k+ like we did when I was a kid. If we had not have sold Eastville, I have no doubt that we would be the bigger of the 2 Bristol clubs. But that is history, and since then every ground we have been at has been crap, and the Mem is no different. I want to be a gashead watching a reasonable team in the Championship, not floundering around in the lower half of league one, because our sh**ty ground can only provide funds enough to do that. Meanwhile even some non league clubs have better grounds. Bloody angry to think some of you have no ambition for the club

Yeah this graph I made a long while ago 100% backs up his point conclusively!! - I can very easily see where he came to the conclusion they would have been the bigger Bristol club had they remained at Eastville  :facepalm: :rofl2br:

They left Eastville in 1986 - and he's right in the fact that since that time they have NEVER been the bigger club (and their grounds have been utter cack)

BUT - In the 20 year period prior to that though they were the bigger club (average attendance wise) just once.
And over the course of nearly 100 years of attendance data they have managed just 14 seasons with better average attendances than us; of those 14 seasons  where they had higher average gates - 8 of them were actually seasons where the average attendance difference was quite close (i.e. were were behind Bristol rovers average attendance, but not drastically so)  

Compare to that to now - they are pulling 7-9K and we are managing 20K+ at every match. On some weekends recently we are getting close to triple their most recent home attendances.

Attendances.jpg

Edited by cityal
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, cityal said:

Yeah this graph I made a long while ago 100% backs up his point conclusively!! - I can very easily see where he came to the conclusion they would have been the bigger Bristol club had they remained at Eastville  :facepalm: :rofl2br:

They left Eastville in 1986 - and he's right in the fact that since that time they have NEVER been the bigger club (and their grounds have been utter cack)

BUT - In the 20 year period prior to that though they were the bigger club (average attendance wise) just once.
And over the course of nearly 100 years of attendance data they have managed just 14 seasons with better average attendances than us; of those 14 seasons  where they had higher average gates - 8 of them were actually seasons where the average attendance difference was quite close (i.e. were were behind Bristol rovers average attendance, but not drastically so)  

Compare to that to now - they are pulling 7-9K and we are managing 20K+ at every match. On some weekends recently we are getting close to triple their most recent home attendances.

Attendances.jpg

I do think it's very unfair to keep using facts to win an argument (copyright D Trump)

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

According to their forum they are expecting to take around 4-500 for their trip to burton. 

I thought they were the bestest fans in the universe?

I don't understand?

We have taken 1700 on both of our last 2 visits to Burton. 

Obviously they ALWAYS travel in much bigger numbers than City....we know this because they tell us (and everyone else) all the time. 

Must be another boycott like all their home games?

• Like 2